Start by marking “Flashtide (Flashfall, #2)” as Want to Read:
Flashtide (Flashfall, #2)

Flashtide

(Flashfall #2)

Orion has survived the tunnels of Outpost Five, filled with mutant creatures and dangers around every bend. She has traversed the cordons, exposed to the radiation of the flash curtain and hunted by forces that want her stopped, dead or alive. Now, with Dram by her side, she has made it to the safety of the mountain provinces, where free Conjurors live and practice their ...more
Published November 14th 2017 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Flashtide, please sign up.
Jenny Moyer Yes! FLASHTIDE is the sequel to FLASHFALL, and there are just the two books in the series.…moreYes! FLASHTIDE is the sequel to FLASHFALL, and there are just the two books in the series. (less)

Start your review of Flashtide (Flashfall, #2)
Alyssa
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-releases
***Review to come***

It pains me to give this book anything less than four stars. I adored Flashfall - it was one of my favorites of 2016. But this book just wasn't the same (or anything close). It took me forever to get through it. :/
Karen
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
See my full review and much more on my blog KissinBlueKaren
Check out my review for FLASHFALL

FLASHTIDE takes place a couple of months after the first book. We are in a different place surrounded by a different type of people. Orion and Dram are living in the mountains with the conjis (conjurors). They are plotting and scheming, then the unthinkable happens. It forces Orion’s hand and this story to start moving at a much faster pace. Orion gleans a lot from these people and uses that knowledge
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn’t like it nearly as much as the first book. It was kind of a convoluted mess in my opinion. There was too much back and forth and so many things that were way too convenient and unexplained. I feel like the story got off track and became way too complicated. Handy magical abilities discovered just in the nick of time, miraculous cures, new creatures introduced before the existing ones were thoroughly explained or explored. New tunnels, friends becoming foes and back to friends again, new ...more
Carina Olsen
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am so thrilled that I finally decided to re-read these books. Sigh. They have brought me so much joy. And all kinds of heartbreak. Because these characters go through so much. Gosh. But gosh, how I love it all beyond words. The writing is stunning. The world created is all kinds of evil and exciting. I love reading about it all.

I will start by saying that I first gave this book four stars, when I read it a couple of years ago. This time it is a five star for me. I'll not re-read my review
Kristen
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really love the characters and world Moyer created! Dram is so amazing and ack this book stressed me in places. It was a great read over all but some of the pacing was a tiny bit off and a few parts were confusing- like i couldn’t visualize things 100% This series is well worth the read! So highly original.
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
There is something about this series that just captivates me. I absolutely love it! I think because the story, the world building and the characters are so unique which is very refreshing. I could read about Orion and Dram all day long!

There is one thing though that I had a minor issue with and that is the flash curtain. It's a pretty complex system and if I try to explain it in this review I won't do it any justice so I'm not even going to try. But essentially I think that bit of world building
Kara
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-releases
Many people are tired and have moved on from the dystopian genre. BUT NOT ME! As long as authors continue to come up with original ideas, I will keep reading them. And man is this duology an original story. Okay, so there’s a bit of a Red Rising vibe, but I DNFed that and I adore this, so it can’t be that similar.

I will admit, I didn’t like this installment quite as much as the last one, but I still really enjoyed it. My favorite thing about this duology is how tense it is, and how much I love
Anniek
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed Flashfall, so I was very curious about the sequel, but unfortunately it was a letdown for me. I didn't connect to the story and the characters and I felt like the plot was all over the place and hard to keep track of. I did still like Orion though, and it made for a fast read.
Nova Syzygy
Review: This was a great way to end 2019. This book destroyed me, probably because I wasn't expecting to like it so much. Guess I'm a sucker for that self-sacrifice trope where they keep on trying to sacrifice themselves for each other, but the other doesn't allow them. I don't know what else to say. I read this in a public place, and it was a genuine struggle to not let my tears fall.

WHY?!?!?!?!

Review to come later.
Noah Zollman
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Brooke
Jun 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book was hard for me to keep track of what was going on. It seemed to bounce all over the place. Maybe if I would've read the first story in the series I could've kept up. Don't know!
mith
review & some of my favourite quotes also found here!
----
When I read Flashfall last year, I was surprised I hadn't read it sooner--here was a dystopian novel that stood out against the backdrop of so many others! Flashfall was wholly unique in its ideas and execution. It had fresh characters, a great story, and memorable characters.

So when I got my hands on Flashtide, the sequel, I was over the moon! I was so ready for more of Orion and Dram! And I definitely wasn't disappointed.

Flashtide
Frankie
Jan 02, 2017 marked it as to-read
November is to far!!
Just finished the first book after recieving Flashfall in a bookbox and loved it. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Stefanie Dettmers
Nah, this is a hard one... Jenny Moyer is a great storyteller, she's got all those fascinating worlds inside her and creates this beautiful MC's. But as a writer she's not really there yet. "Flashtide" sparks with a gazillion of clever and genuine ideas, while at the the same time the story is all over the place. Orion doesn't have a clear motivation, she's doing this, doing that, but she never opens up about her plans and this makes it really hard to cheer for her. Same goes for Dram. Together ...more
Lelia Taylor
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: full-reviews
When I read Flashfall, the first book in this duology, a year ago. I was especially impressed by the relationship between Orion and Dram. That was largely because these teens both had to grow up all too quickly but they didn't let their dire circumstances influence the way they felt about and depended upon each other. They truly trusted each other and that lent an air of maturity to their alliance.

I'm glad to say that, even though they're no longer in the mines and now have to deal with other
Kristen
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
*sigh* where to begin... I should start with positives but I'm just so very disappointed. This was a well edited draft. At best. There are giant unexplained leaps in time and plot, unintroduced characters, plot holes, "twists" that make no f**king sense, changes to our beloved characters that contradict who they've been this whole time (trying to stay vague), in short, I am pissed off. Anyone who read Flashfall knows that Moyer can write well and write original fleshed out characters and plots, ...more
Jill
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
From the initial beginning to the abrupt ending, Orion and Dram try to fight for the cause even though it is not always clear who to believe and whom to follow. Their civilization relies on getting a hold of the serum before the enemy destroys it. The plot jumping from place to place and time to time is disconcerting at times. Some subplots are not fully resolved by the end of the book.

I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway. Although encouraged, I was under no obligation to write a
Talyn
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I don’t even know what to say about this book. I can’t decide if I hate it or not. There was many aspects of this book that I liked, like the plot and the concept. But there was so much I didn’t like. Wayyyyy too many plot twists for my likings and half of them made little to no sense. The twists made it feel very drawn out. I still don’t like the authors writing style which is a big part of why I didn’t enjoy the book. I don’t know, I just felt like it could’ve been so much better. That’s why ...more
Nicole Wallace
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was looking forward to this book after reading the first, but it lacked big time for me. While the first book was fun to read, this book took me forever to get through and was blah overall in my opinion.
Josephine Boyce
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved the premise of this series but both books lacked world-building and unfortunately Flashtide needed more explanation around quite a few things within the story. Important moments were also passive at times, which was a shame. Otherwise really fun reads.
John Clark
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Satisfying sequel. Although it had been more than a year since I read the first book, it was easy to slip back into this world. This one is darker and grittier, but those aspects reflect the world the characters live in. All in all a story well worth reading.
Brynn Gibson
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Flashfall didn't end on a cliff hanger, but I was eager to learn what happened next to Orion and Dram. Both books read like a suspense movie. Very intense. These books are not books that I may have normally chosen for myself, but they were amazing and I would have been missing out.
Robin
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars
I did enjoy getting to read the conclusion of the story of these two amazing characters.
I also felt that it was kind of thrown together and rushed though. It was missing some of the depth the first book had.
Worth reading. Read it!
Ariadne
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, dystopian
Good but it lost a star due to the sheer number of times supposedly smart Orion made incredibly stupid choices re Dram.
Tena
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2-goodread_wins
I won this print ARC in a GOODREADS giveaway. What a great sequel. I hope they print an omnibus soon. My thanks to Fierce Reads for the giveaway!
Heidi
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
For some reason I missed listing this book. I recall liking the story very much and would recommend to my Dystopian readers.
Heather Penner
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, dystopia
A satisfying finish to the story. Towards the end the scenes felt rushed, and full of somewhat implausible scenarios, but still an enjoyable adventure with great characters.
Javier
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a great book and more exciting that the first book Flash Fall.
Katie
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
It was a good series. But the ending was confusing and dumb.
Avery Fray
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Like all sequels it wasn't as good as the first book. This book takes place on the other side of the Flashfall in the outer regions with the conjie. The book starts out in the forest with the conjie just hiding and planning. I'm frustrated with Orion most the book not gonna lie. And Dram was always trying to play hero it was super annoying. The Goverment really freaked me out when they punished the conjie! The plot with Ronan was sad he is twelve and is very hurt and put in terrible situations. ...more

• Pure Dead Magic
  • The Last 8 (The Last 8, #1)
  • The Mirror’s Truth (Manifest Delusions, #2)
  • The Black Unicorn (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #2)
  • Dispel Illusion (Impossible Times, #3)
  • Beyond Redemption (Manifest Delusions, #1)
  • Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover #3)
  • Through a Glass, Darkly
  • The Christmas Mystery
  • Vokterne
  • Klatremus og de andre dyr i Hakkebakkeskoven
  • Handgranateple
  • Skyskraperengler
  • Emil i Lönneberga (Emil i Lönneberga, #1)
  • Skyskrapersommer
  • Vokternes hemmelighet
Jenny is the author of the YA sci-fi/fantasy FLASHFALL, and its sequel, FLASHTIDE. (Holt/Macmillan) She lives with her filmmaker husband and their three boys in Iowa. Watch the epic, live action book trailer for the novel that Booklist calls "A cinematic page-turner."

Find out more at http://www.jennymoyer.com and connect with Jenny on Twitter and Facebook.

Flashfall (2 books)
  • Flashfall (Flashfall, #1)
“I draw him deeper into my arms, knowing this it it---the last time I will lose myself and find myself at the same time---in this boy who shows me the stars, even when there is only darkness. His eyes open, and I can't look away. We kiss this way, once, twice. His eyes are a storm of emotion---passion, anguish. Love.
Before Congress sent me tot Cordon Four, Dad told me to look after Dram---that he was part of what made me strong.
Now I must let him go and be strong enough for us both.
I love you, Dram.
You know I love you, Orion.”
0 likes