Start by marking “Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter” as Want to Read:
Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter

Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter

As leaves fall from their trees, animals huddle against the cold, and frost creeps across windows, everyone knows--winter is on its way!

Join a brother and sister as they explore nature and take a stroll through their twinkling town, greeting all the signs of the coming season. In a series of conversations with everything from the setting sun to curious deer, they say
Published September 5th 2017 by Henry Holt and Company

To ask other readers questions about Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter

Start your review of Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter
Manybooks
While the illustrations of Kenard Pak's Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter do indeed colourfully and descriptively, even sweetly portray the transformation of autumn as a season into winter (and all that this entails, from the last leaves blowing from the trees, birds migrating southwards to finally the coming of ice and snow), I really do much wish that there had been just trifle more depicted scenes of nature and yes considerably less illustrated houses, cityscapes and such (as for me, seasonal ...more
Julie
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Lovely illustrations of Autumn and Winter scenes in rural, suburban and urban landscapes.
Abigail
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kenard Pak Fans / Readers Looking for Seasonal Picture-Books with Visual Appeal
Two children - presumably the girl from Goodbye Summer, Hello Autumn and her brother - walk through their neighborhood and town, greetings the flora, fauna and natural forces around them, and being greeted in return. Everyone and everything, from the birds to the chrysanthemums, the clouds to the sky, is changing with the seasonal shift, as autumn departs and winter comes in...

Much as with its predecessor, I found that I enjoyed author/illustrator Kenard Pak's artwork in Goodbye Autumn, Hello
Kathryn
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I was a bit underwhelmed by this one but maybe my expectations were just too high. I found the hello refrain a bit annoying. Also, it was awkward reading the first few pages. I hadn't realized at first that we were alternating between the children saying "Hello" and then various landscapes etc. returning the greeting! I feel like if they had used a different font it would have been a better cue for those of us reading it aloud. Anyway, I did like the celebration of the actual *changing* of the ...more
Vivian
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Illustrations. Nailed it. Lovely digitally enhanced color pencil and water color paintings.
Story. Good. Two children go on an autumn walk through country, town, and neighborhood, observing as they go.
Flow. Confusing at first but after the reader gets the hang of it it works. On the first (right hand) page it's obvious the children are speaking, and they are the speakers on most the left hand pages which follow. However, most the right hand pages which follow are "spoken" by the flora and fauna
Vicki
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
This book is a great representation of the changing seasons especially live in area where this all happens.

Love the feeling of what appears to be a small town, with houses near the edge of town attracting deer in the illustrations, perfect short text which also conveys the feel of the season.

Wouldn't be interesting to have book about the changing seasons in the desert or someplace tropical??

Cheryl
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Like some others in the Children's Books group, I too was underwhelmed by this. And confused by the different 'speakers.' I would have been annoyed by all the hello's if they'd all been from the children, but as read alternatingly they work, imo. I like the mix of urban and rural settings, and I like the transition from one season to another. I like that the holidays are shown, but subtly... I would not have noticed either had not group members mentioned them. The pictures are appealing, but not ...more
Greg McClay
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a chance read, I just happen to have a few minutes when I came across it. Its beautiful, I loved it. The writing was simple but I thought the art was incredibly peaceful and calming. I would highly recommend it as a night read with some hot chocolate, whether you have a child to read it to or not.
Eli Poteet
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-corner
sure, it was gorgeous. it was well composed. it was perfect and short. it was kinda boring. the author has another title similar to this one ill pick up next week. i do enjoy a series. but this guys touch of disney is a little to persistent and inauthentic.
Elaine Fultz
Gorgeous, very Klassen-like, illustrations. Useful text, but nothing artful about the writing.
Clementine
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Gorgeous pictures but the text is bizarrely inaccurate about what happens as the seasons change. Did anyone proof it?
Randy
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Not sure the author researched birds enough--anyone with a bird feeder knows cardinals don't migrate south, and robins and blue jays don't consistently migrate south.
Mckinley
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: weather, picture
Seasons.
Jinya Situ
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like this boon because it is very colorful and can catch children attention . This book is talk about how weather change autumn to winter. I think children would say the leafs are becoming yellow , the winter is coming .i will ask them ask like this what do you see on the picture . Do you like Autumn or winter.
Kalli Jean Thompson
Kenard Pak’s illustrations are simple and beautiful. The story follows the change of season which is unique. The whole series is my favorite on seasons. The books are delightful and soothing.
Luisa Knight
Such a whimsical and enchanting read. Enjoy with a cup of hot chocolate!

Ages: 3 - 6

#winter #autumn #fall

Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Beverly
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book that shows the transition between these two seasons. I liked the soft, fuzzy, and subdued illustrations, and the way the illustrator changes the color palette from autumn to winter; from oranges, reds, and yellows, to grays and dark blues. The children seem to be quiet and thoughtful as they watch and greet the changing of the seasons.
Autumn
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Since it is winter at the moment when I saw this book in our library I knew I had to grab it. I figured it would be a great book to read during the week of the kiddos being out of school. A and I read it at bedtime and she loved looking at the pictures and finding the deer that seems to follow the brother and sister through out the story.

In Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter we are going through the season of Autumn or Fall and into Winter. We get to see
Nancy
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is so on-the-brink of exquisite. The art is so fine. The descriptions, too.

I like it so much I want to fix it:
1. I didn't understand that this was a dialog! Indicate that the "answers" are in a different voice from the "hellos" -- with a slight change in font?
2. Break after "branches" and not after "oak tree." Alas this seemingly small thing tripped me up -- and it was only the 4th page in.
3. The sun's comment also throws me because it doesn't match the pattern. I am surprised how
Linda
Winter is upon us, at least today here in Colorado (10/9/17) and it's snowing and blowing. It's a great time to share this next book. If you are in an area with four seasons, you will appreciate that it can be 70 plus degrees one day, and then wake to 30 degrees and snowing. Kenard Pak has written and illustrated a poetic book about this very thing. The transformation page by page in his book is fabulous. The narrator says "hello" to a variety of things, like leaves and deer, setting sun and ...more
Taryn Grant
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I remember reading Hello Autumn and enjoying it a bit more than this text. I bought them as a pairing in the scholastic magazine. I love the illustrations, especially the bright hues of orange and red, but it is a little awkward and confusing to read out loud. The constant helloing back and forth between the kiddos and are they the real speakers, takes away from the text some. I think it would work well to use for writing poetry that is seasonal, or describing nature using sensory words. This ...more
Jana
Beautiful illustrations created with watercolor and pencil, along with a call-and-response type of text, make this a lovely concept book to share with young readers. A brother and sister go for a walk on a chilly day in the late fall. They greet the falling leaves, the birds flying south, the long shadows, and the thickening clouds as they make their way through their neighborhood. All of these signs of changing seasons give way to the snow, frost, and ice of winter as they wake up to winter. ...more
Olivia Mullen
I think this book was written beautifully as the two siblings talk about the change of the seasons and all that comes with it. I think this is an important children’s picture book because children must learn the seasons and how the weather changes. I think this teaches that in a cute way in a casual discussion between the two. This would be a good book to read to a class during the transition to winter.
Erin Buhr
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful book to read as Fall turns into Winter. It reads like a conversation between children and the natural world as they notice and describe the changes happening all around them. My favorite part is the illustrations that perfectly capture that chilled feeling in the air as winter grows closer. It is light and flowing like the breeze that chills you and carries the first hint of snow. A perfect read aloud for late autumn.
Paige Brown
I absolutely love this book. The illustrations are incredible and the transitions made are on point. This book can be read to children of all ages. It talks about the seasons changing from fall to winter and what the characters are experiencing. It is a great book for children to relate their personal lives to. They can compare and contrast their lives and experiences to the ones of the characters in the story and also to their peers. This book can be carried out for weeks.
StephanieNicole

The art of the changing seasons is beautiful; I want prints to hang up at home. The text of this book is very basic, but it points out the little happy things that change with the season. It's a good book to read to get excited for winter.

One small pet peeve: This isn't a factual book. Only some robins fly south for the winter, and cardinals do NOT fly south for the winter. I wish the author should have picked different birds.
Atlas Miladin
This book would interest kids with the colorful and vibrant pictures. It does a great job of explaining the changing of seasons from fall to winter. The story incorperates the changing of color in the trees' leaves. Since we live in an area where this happens to our trees, I think it is relevant to the students' lives. There are lots of open ended questions that could be asked as the story is read that will help children make personal connections to the text. I would recommend this book!
Stephanielaurenwilling
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I really loved this. It has a call-and-response text between the children and the object being greeted (for examples, "hello autumn leaves" and "we are ready to fall..." that's not the text, it's been a couple weeks since I read it). The illustrations are so incredibly cozy that they give me a warm feeling long after reading it. This is one I want to add to our library, just for the illustrations.
Randi Triantafillou
I think this is an excellent book to use for an interactive read aloud when discussing the seasons. This story could open up a discussion on the signs of winter, this could get children thinking and applying their prior knowledge of key components of winter. The illustrations help guide the story and the content presented. I enjoyed this picture book and will share with my future students. By: Randi Triantafillou
Blaine Gerdes
The illustrations in this book are adorable, especially the ones with snow coming down. The book begins with the ending of fall, where the leaves drop from tress and the birds fly south. The weather becomes cold and the evenings become longer. The book covers the first snow fall and how once it snows autumn is finally gone. This book did a great job covering the transition from autumn to winter and all the things that change with the seasonal change.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Wolf in the Snow
  • Red and Lulu
  • The Bad Mood and the Stick
  • Winter Is Coming
  • Little Elliot, Fall Friends (Little Elliot, #4)
  • Too Many Turkeys