Start by marking “Who Says Women Can't Be Computer Programmers?: The Story of Ada Lovelace” as Want to Read:
Who Says Women Can't Be Computer Programmers?: The Story of Ada Lovelace

Who Says Women Can't Be Computer Programmers?: The Story of Ada Lovelace

"Known as "The Enchantress of Numbers" by many inventors and mathematicians of the 19th century, Ada Lovelace is recognized today as history's first computer programmer. Her work was an inspiration to such famous minds as Charles Babbage and Alan Turing. This is her story"--
Published February 20th 2018 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Who Says Women Can't Be Computer Programmers?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Says Women Can't Be Computer Programmers?

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Wonderful book about the first computer programmer! Have asked several of my friends with degrees in computer programming if they had ever heard of Ada - and they said no! We really need to start encouraging our children to look into all the contributions women have made throughout history!
Pink STREAM
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Who says that? Ada Lovelace is one of the ambitious women to break those stereotyped ideas. She was the first computer programmer and this book is about her successful, difficult, and inspiring story.
Illustrations of the book are very beautiful. They are very cute, detailed, creative, original, and dazzling. Colors are vivid and matching. Young artist ladies will love it.
Don’t forget girls can be everything from firefighter to basketball player, from astronaut to surgeon, from mathematician to s
Barbara
I'm delighted to have a copy of this biography about Ada Lovelace, often considered the world's first computer programmer. As usual, young readers may find it interesting to compare this one with a different one such as Ada's Ideas by Fiona Robinson. This one delves into her formative years, the child of a broken home and a mother determined to root out her poetic side, which she feared her daughter had inherited from her father. Instead, Adawas fed a steady of mathematics to counteract any crea ...more
Shaye Miller
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was excited to get my hands on this book, this week. What is well known about Ada Lovelace is that she fully understood the whats and ifs behind the modern computer well over 100 years before it became reality. But her childhood and family happenings were quite interesting, as well. Her father was THE Lord Byron who fled England when Ada was still a baby. So her mother, Lady Byron, did everything she could to make sure Ada didn’t develop a “dangerous” imagination, like her father. So she pushe ...more
Jessica Santana
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book tells about the life of Ada Byron who was an incredibly smart young woman and had a wild imagination during her childhood. As a child, she was tutored in science and mathematics which played a significant role as her interest in math and engineering grew. As she grew older, she attended parties with important individuals from the math and art fields, which is where she met Charles Babbage who had invented an early form of a calculator and was designing a machine that was the precursor ...more
Great picture book biography about Ada Lovelace!
pati
Some really incredible women in history and Lady Lovelace is a very good example.
Rachel
Such a beautiful biography, the text, and pictures are stunning. Some wonderful notes at the end.
Laura G
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed learning more about Ada Lovelace, including that this was not the name that she went by during her life. I was interested to learn about the challenges of her childhood (poet father Lord Byron left her, mother was almost harsh in her efforts to make sure that Ada didn't go the same "bad route" as her father and thought lots of time studying math was the answer.) She had a privileged life and became a Countess when her husband became Earl, but we don't hear as much about her marriage as ...more
Miss Sarah
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
A whimsical picture book biography of computer programer Ada Lovelace. This is an easy biography which flows nicely. The afterward adds a lot but this is a lower level elementary biography.
Nick
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a beginning biography of a fascinating woman, one who is forever remembered by the wrong name. Her correct married name would have been Augusta Ada King, Countess of Lovelace, or Lady Lovelace, but never Ada Lovelace. So of course the Library of Congress files her under Lovelace, Ada. Sigh...but I digress.
For a simple biography for young readers, this is a treat. Older readers will need to find something more complex, but this book is a teaser, a starting point rather than a complete wor
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Stone, Tanya Lee and Illustrated by Priceman, Majorie Who says Women can’t be Computer Programmers? The Story of Ada Lovelace, 20 pages. NON-FICTION. Henry Holt (Macmillan), 2018. $18.

This is the story of Ada Lovelace from her restrictive yet highly educated childhood, to her revelation that Math and Imagination can go hand in hand, to her brilliant programming discoveries. Filled with whimsical illustrations.

This is a fantastic book with easy to understand information –a great read-a-loud or re
Jana
This fascinating picture book biography focuses on Ada Lovelace's contributions to the future development of computer technology. With beautifully rendered illustrations that incorporate mathematical equations into the artwork, this book shares with young readers the early life of Ada Lovelace, who was the daughter of Lord Byron, and her education. At a time when women weren't considered for careers in science or mathematics, Ada became a pioneer. She became friends with Charles Babbage and work ...more
Jeannie
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-36
Although this is a picture book in format, Tanya Lee stone and Marjorie Priceman create an insightful biography of Ada Lovelace which will be enjoyed by readers of all ages. It will be especially valuable to readers in grades 3-6. In the early 1800's women were not highly educated. Ada's other, Lady Byron, wanted her daughter to become a proper lady and have a good marriage., but she also gave her a good education in mathematics. When Ada met Charles Babbage, she was entranced by his invention o ...more
Liz
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another Lady Lovelace picture book biography! It seems like each one had something a little different to offer. Backmatter contains "More to the Story," quotation sources, and information about Ada's name. As the daughter of poet Lord Byron, Ada's creativity and art love did combine well with her scientific mind and wonderings. A good biography for STEAM collections, and another great collaboration between Tanya Lee Stone (author) and Marjorie Priceman (illustrator). See also: Who Says Women Can ...more
Cheriee Weichel
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this in my book bag after finishing up reading Enchantress of Numbers by Jennifer Chiaverini. There are some conflicts in the two narratives, most notably in that Chiaverini's version has Ada introducing the idea of punch cards to Babbage. What is clear in all the many books about Ada Bryon, is how she was able to envision the potential for the analytical engine even beyond that of Babbage himself.
Air
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is very informative on the subject, and presents the information in a way that is easily understandable for young children. It makes sure to clearly explain the relation between the characters, along with explaining why what Ada did was so amazing. This book presented the information in such a way that I caught a few facts that I had missed in the past on this subject (specifically the quote from Lord Byron).
Earl
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ada Lovelace gets another nonfiction picture book treatment and I'm glad her story is being told and that more and more people are getting to know about her contributions in mathematics and computer programming. It's great to see how her creative mind helped her with her scientific side.
MaryLibrarianOH
alisonwonderland
I enjoyed learning more about a woman from history I’d only heard of previously.

It appears that there might be a series of picture books with the theme “Who says women can’t be ...”
Kelly
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great story! It's a biographical writing of the daughter of Lord Byron, and the role she played in the modern day computer.
Marcia
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another fine book on Ada with bright whimsical illustrations and a solid storyline.
Michele Knott
This might be my favorite book about Ada Lovelace, yet.
Baby Bookworm
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is Who Says Women Can’t Be Computer Programmers?: The Story Of Ada Lovelace, written by Tanya Lee Stone and illustrated by Marjorie Priceman, a biography of the visionary mathematician.

Ada was born into a troubled home – her father, the famous poet Lord Byron, was known for his terrible behavior, so her mother left him when Ada was only a month old. Hoping to dete
Meg McGregor
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I encourage the two little girls I watch to be strong and independent women! They are only six and four but they are on their way!

This book is just enchanting! It is the beautifully illustrated and fun filled account of Ada Byron, the first "computer programmer!"

Yes that Byron - Lord Byron - the poet and no, she didn't get her love of mathematics from her father. Lord Byron actually abandoned his family when she was just an infant!

Women back then were not encouraged to study and be heard! Ada wa
Rachel
Dec 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
After the greatness that was Who Says Women Can't Be Doctors?: The Story of Elizabeth Blackwell, this was a massive disappointment. I made the mistake of not reading it before I shared it with a class, on the strength of Stone's first book, and I found myself more and more sick of it as I read it. It was boring, dispiriting and not well done. There are much better biographies of Ada Lovelace!
Amber Thomas
This was a very inspiring book, and was a great way to talk about gender equality with students. This would be a great way to talk about how any gender can be in any career they want, which is a great conversation to have while students are still young and learning about the world. A great read with fun illustrations!
Meredith
I think picture book biographies need to be longer. Trying to jam a person's entire life into 32-26 illustrated pages just leaves out too much. Like the previous PBB I read about Ada, it leaves out anything about her getting married or having kids, or what all of her illnesses were. And I still don't really understand how any of the machines worked. Or were predicted to work.
Patti
A fascinating introduction to Ada Lovelace and how her imagination and love of math helped her to conceive of a machine that would one day become the foundation for a modern day computer. Recommended for 2-5th grade
Melissa Mcavoy
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
More detailed than the Little People, Big Dreams biography of Lovelace, but less punchy. For children who want more details and more accuracy - how the punch card loom inspired Babbage's machine, how Lovelace lived the rest of her life.
Tanya Lee Stone is an award-winning author of books for kids and teens. Her work, which includes YA fiction (A Bad Boy Can Be Good for a Girl), picture books (Elizabeth Leads the Way and Sandy's Circus), and nonfiction (Almost Astronauts and The Good, the Bad, and the Barbie) has won national awards such as the ALA's Sibert Medal, SCBWI's Golden Kite Award, YALSA Excellence in Nonfiction, Jane Add ...more