Start by marking “Home Time, Vol. 1: Under the River (Home Time, #1)” as Want to Read:
Home Time, Vol. 1: Under the River (Home Time, #1)

Home Time, Vol. 1: Under the River

(Home Time #1)

The last school bell has rung and it's finally HOME TIME! Even though they're twins, Lilly and David don't agree on much... except that the last summer before high school is the perfect time for relaxing with friends. But their plans for sleepovers, fantasy games, and romance are thrown out the window when the whole gang falls into a river and wakes up in a village of fant ...more
Published June 27th 2017 by Top Shelf Productions

To ask other readers questions about Home Time, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Time, Vol. 1

Start your review of Home Time, Vol. 1: Under the River (Home Time, #1)
Matthew Brady
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I certainly wanted to like this one, but it didn't do much for me. It's sort of a kids' portal fantasy, about a group of kids who, on their way to a sleepover on the last day of school, fall into the river and wake up in a strange fantasy world populated by what seem to be living plant people known as Peaches who think they are some sort of magical spirits. It's a very detailed world, full of interesting stuff, but the characters have weird reactions to their circumstances, either taking things ...more
Joshua Santospirito
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Get onto this book when its released in June 2017
Amazing fantasy work with a whole new feel to it. Whyte's shifting art styles are totally off the chart. So good ... I don't think I'll survive waiting for the second half of the story.
Allison
Marketed for young adults, this is one of those resonating works will appeal across ages. It's easy to identify with the protagonists, recent graduates of elementary school, during that monumental shift from childhood to adulthood...and then things get weird. In the best way. Like his young protagonists, Whyte doesn't shy away from the rough edges of life's experiences, whether it's an uncomfortable rivalry between friends, or a grisly predator in the wild. Even with the high fantasy concept the ...more
Colona Public Library
There was clear thought and care put into this book. The world is very charming and well thought of and has extended note pages on how certain things work/look. The art style changes depending on who's character's story it is. Also has the bonus of being summer vibes with kids falling into another world, which might be a bit more sinister than it seems!

Yet there still was something that didn't quite grab me and I can't put my finger of what it was? Maybe I was craving more character development
Fionn Mccabe
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Home Time is a book that deserves to be lovingly pored over.

The artwork is detailed, rich, and demands attention and time. Each of the five main character has his/her own chapter, drawn in a style that reflects their individual motivations and psychology. Their interactions and stories build gradually, weaving together into something brooding and complex.

Here’s what it’s like to read Home Time:

It’s a hot summer afternoon and you decide to go for a swim. You jump in the water and paddle around ha
Andréa
(view spoiler) ...more
Bridgett
Mar 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
The artwork was gorgeously whimsical. The world building was impressively extensive. However, I thought the dialogue and plot were abysmal.

I really disliked the interactions between the characters. The children’s constant bickering was trite and overdone, and the characters themselves were not well fleshed out.

The storyline felt like it was created with a Mad Libs notebook. Then the ending goes off the rails and suddenly becomes dark, which just didn’t fit in with the first three quarters of t
Stephanie (aka WW)
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was so disappointed in this book. I wanted to like it. I’m a graphics lover and this appeared to offer something different (I know its aim is younger, but that doesn’t usually bother me). Most of all, the pages burst with color. And the overall story line is compelling. But the plot and the characters were all over the place. Just a few minutes after reading and I’ve already forgotten names and characteristics. I won’t be getting Book Two.
Adam Osth
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this one more than I did. Australian artist, gorgeous art, and a style that changes from chapter-to-chapter, with one being stylized like a 16 bit RPG. The problem was there was too much world building and not enough core - it fleshed out the world without bothering as much with the characters or the plot. I was a little disappointed.
Alison
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
Meh. It was weird and nothing was really resolved.
Darth
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Giving this four stars because the artwork was really great. I especially liked the old school two bit video game type section.

That said, the story was lacking. Maybe lacking isn't the right word. The story was overfull. Packed to the brim with things we, as readers, didn't see and had no way of getting. It just jumped (literally) right into this whole fully fleshed out word inside the author's mind. The problem was the author/artist was the only person who understood this flesh and I just had
Prince Prince
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute book set in a cute world, the art outshines the story. Can't wait to see what happens in part 2.
Roberto
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was quite beautiful, almost psychedelic, and I love all the details of the world under the river, there's just so much care and love put into it. The stuff about brewing tea makes me v happy.
Kristen
Well this book was a bit odd and hefty. It's about a group of students who end up in a different world on summer break and there's some crazy stuff going on. I loved the illustrations and it was quite a fun romp. Not a favorite but definitely a fun read.
Travis
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a bit of a hard book to get started since I didn't like or relate to any of the characters, and it was really hard to tell where it was heading. Once I got into it, the setting and the situation are interesting enough that I would like to see how it turns out, though I continue to feel indifferent to most of the characters.

Various thoughts:
- I feel neutral on the varying art style used throughout the book. I assume the justification is that each section follows one of the characters, a
James
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Home Time is a scrumptious feast of beautiful, painstakingly illustrated, portal fantasy. I don’t think I have ever seen a graphic novel with so much attention to detail in the lush and diverse illustrations, combined with a school-kid friendly story that will take you on a journey to a distinctly realised fantasy world. It is the perfect book to sit down and consume on a rainy Saturday morning. For older readers you will have a pang of Nostalgia for the hand-crafted films of your youth like Lab ...more
Sarah Searle
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The amount of love the author poured into each page is palpable. Each chapter is crafted in an art style unique to the child it focuses on, and the level of care Whyte put into the smallest details makes rereads worthwhile, especially if you're familiar with some of the inspirations. For example, there's a panel that's a callback to shoujo manga with faded flowers in the background, but in this case, he used Western Australian natives instead of the typical roses. Perth comes to life as the sett ...more
Catherine
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic
A group of kids head off to a sleepover to celebrate their last day of school before high school. Along the way they are swept into a river and wake up in an unknown world populated by a race called the Peaches. The detailed art and the character development really drive the story. The world-building aspects reminded me of the group projects for a utopia/dystopia course I took, and that may not be a good thing. Although this is apparently the first volume with more to come, it doesn’t really hav ...more
Michael
Mar 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
PDF - Your mileage will certainly vary, but this book fell flat for me. The characters didn't pop off the page in any way; 200+ pages and none of the characters' names or personalities made any impression on me. The pacing is plodding, the mysteries formless, the characters bland. The art is effective, however. The premise - kids transitioning from elementary school to high school, lost in a fantasy world - is ripe with storytelling potential.
lucy  black
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
I’m not at all sure why this is in the adults graphic novel section at my library. It’s a kids or YA comic about a group of adolescents who fall into a fantasy world. I really wanted to like it but it was lacking. It had beautiful art and a cool world building but it was lacking depth of character, plot, interesting dialogue and intrigue. The characters were two dimensional and too many of them, they were also unpredictability mean and didn’t seem to relate to each other realistically.
Perusing Panels
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5

While I thoroughly enjoyed the world building in this, the characters and their dialogue didn’t always work as well for me. Also while I really appreciate and admire the effort that went into each of the shifting art styles, through the book I did end up enjoying some more than others.

I’ll definitely be checking out book two though!
Mike
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
An ambitious book, but the story falls flat with weak character development and a story that doesn't really go anywhere. The art is great, but the story didn't pull me in and I won't be reading the next book.
Lizzy // The Bookish Unicorn
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A fairy tale adventure gone wrong with really cool art! Excited for book two to be out!
Kristin
May 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, didn-t-finish
Couldn't get into the characters or story. Different art styles throughout was cool.
Ali
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Cool illustrations but the story line was confusing as it isn't clear what the purpose of the characters are.
Dakota Morgan
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Skimming through this dense volume before reading it, I have to admit to being intimidated by the wide range of art styles. It initially struck me as one of those "art student who wrote a graphic novel" projects, where the artist's creativity would overwhelm any semblance of a story.

Fortunately, I was completely wrong. Home Time has a fascinating and involving story about a group of schoolchildren who inadvertently tumble through a river into another world on their way home from school. Whyte sp
Alenka
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
In Home Time, a group of friends about to leave primary school for secondary school (think middle to high school) fall off a bridge and wake up in a strange land filled with creatures who think they are spirits. Each tween deals with the sudden shift in their own way; Nathan embraces it completely as if it were a perfect kind of escapism, or as if he's fallen into a videogame, Lilly sort of continues to mother her friends but also finds a kind of fighting spirit growing within her, David is deep ...more
Jon
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Any fan of this new trend of kid team adventures, a la Stranger Things/Super 8, or the originals like E.T. and The Goonies will enjoy this crazy graphic novel, which follows a group of kids who, on the last day of the school year, fall into a river, and into a world of what can best be described as Ewok-esque, sentient peaches. Hailed as gods, the children are tasked with becoming leaders during a time of war, while still attempting to get home.

Perhaps the thing that struck me the most about th
Arnela
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Art: IT CHANGES ON YOU. It starts out as pencil drawings, nice soft shading but overall it's just pencil drawn comic scenes on slightly yellow tinted paper. The same style stays but as the group of friends progresses they get a nice, almost watercolor style palette. The styles vary slightly after that but the kids are always easily recognizable and the color is fantastic [it goes old 8-16 bit game style for a chapter and that was, that one was the one that caught me off guard the most]

Plot: It f
Arminzerella
« previous 1 3 next »

• Audubon, On The Wings Of The World
  • Nightlights (Nightlights #1)
  • Hicotea (Nightlights #2)
  • Black Canary: Ignite
  • Mis(h)adra
  • Diana: Princess of the Amazons
  • Wonder Woman: Warbringer (the Graphic Novel)
  • The City on the Other Side
  • The Lost Carnival: A Dick Grayson Graphic Novel
  • Pandora's Legacy
  • Shattered Warrior
  • Witchlight
  • The Dark Matter of Mona Starr
  • Frogcatchers
  • Indoor Recess (Lumberjanes, Vol. 13)
  • The Phantom Twin
  • Trickster: Native American Tales, A Graphic Collection
  • Clumsy

Home Time (2 books)
  • Home Time, Vol. 2: Beyond the Weaving (Home Time, #2)