Start by marking “The Secret of Danger Point (Surfside Girls, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Secret of Danger Point (Surfside Girls, #1)

The Secret of Danger Point

(Surfside Girls #1)

Things are getting weird in Surfside. Lately, Samantha's best friend Jade explodes into fits of giggles whenever she sees a boy, and it's throwing a wrench into the kick-back summer of surfing and hanging out that Sam had planned. But after swimming through a secret underwater cave, Sam starts to... see things. Like ghosts. And pirates. And maybe something even scarier! Ca ...more
Published July 18th 2017 by Top Shelf Productions

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of Danger Point, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of Danger Point

Start your review of The Secret of Danger Point (Surfside Girls, #1)
Alexa Hamilton
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: tween, graphic-novels
Sweet beachside tween mystery covering gentrification. Loved seeing girls on surfboards, skateboards and solving a mystery with no boys at all.
Lana
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been so excited to find this graphic novel. I love the ocean, surfing, and middle grade graphic novels so it’s a win, win, win! What’s not to love!? The Secret of Danger Point is a fun, quick story of two surfer girls; Jade and Samantha. While hanging out on the beach they come across a cave at Danger Point that is filled with ghosts that need their help.
Danger Point has a development project underway for a new resort which will affect access for locals to the beach. Samantha and Jade wo
Ann
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very cute! I hope there are more of these.
First Second Books

This is a fun and charming kids graphic novel about friends and family and mostly ghosts!
Rod Brown
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
This low-key adventure might appeal to younger readers but was too sedate for me. And I never warmed to the art style with its odd faces and heads.
Chinook
This was cool. It covers a lot - endanger species, land use and politics, friendships as puberty hits and dating starts, and then, some ghosts.

I look forward to the next one.
DaNae
I can see who it is pandering to, and I definitely have readers for it at my school, but mostly I found it annoying.
Nora
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's the middle school version of GHOST by Raina Telgemeier! A sweet graphic novel that 5th/6th graders will LOVE. I am going to select a 6th grader to read it first & hopefully steer it through middle school before the younger grades see it! No worries about younger students taking it home, though, like with THIS ONE SUMMER. It's innocent. I'm also glad to see that the two girls in the story didn't grow apart because of boys, like in many books (one likes boys and the other isn't interested at ...more
Kelly
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Kim Dwinell
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Well... I'm partial. But I like it a lot. You should read it and I hope you like it too!
Scarlette Pike
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 30-book-reading
This is the kind of book I could read all day. And I've gotta say.. I was on the fence about graphic novels, but they're starting to grow on me. This story is fast-moving, creative and full of fun. Sam and Jade are regular girls who get thrown into an impossible fantasy situation and it is just pure, delightful FUN. There's nothing complex about it, it's just good old-fashioned adventure for teenage girls. I was legitimately sweating when Sam snuck out. I think it was the illustrations that made ...more
Justin
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
The story felt oddly paced and really didn't do much for me; too many unexplored elements and sidetracking leached depth from the proceedings. But the pleasing art and clean, fun interplay between the characters make for a decent read for younger comic readers looking for graphic novels beyond Telgemeier, Jamieson, etc.
Katy
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
At its heart this is a sweet story with a little mystery and a lot of positive points about self esteem and friendship, etc. However, there are quite a few really problematic things. Also, just casual ghost BFs, nbd?
Tina Dalton
Perfect for tweens who enjoy graphic novels--babysitter club, smile, real friends, etc.
Heidi Burkhart
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A perfect GN for upper elementary or middle school students. Full of adventure, ghosts, and two cute girls who are independent.
Hannah Nagle
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-mg, graphic-novels
Super cute/fun read! Really nice art.
Steph
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A darling summery middle school graphic novel mystery! I felt like I was at the beach with these bffs! This read super quickly and I longed to head to the beach after reading it. :-)

Katie
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Abrupt, disjointed, although I can see its intended audience (tweets and particularly girls) enjoying the adventure.
Maggie Gordon
The Secret of Danger Point is an okay book for younger readers. The main plot is about a girl who needs to save a beautiful area of town because she is directed to do so by ghosts. There's also some silliness about boys, an evil mayor, and general weirdness. It feels a bit too normal for the Scooby Doo vibe it seems to be going for, and the slice-of-life parts felt forced. Cute though.
Sheri S.
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I really liked the artwork in this graphic novel and the plot was definitely interesting. Two girls work together to solve a mystery and save a sacred piece of land from being developed. The ghosts of people who died in the area are involved in the story...kind of weird, but I can see why it would be entertaining to a younger audience. My nine-year-old had checked the book out from the library and I ended up picking it up on a whim to read after she'd finished it.
Richelle
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun book. Perfect graphic novel for middle grades.
Jillian Heise
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I can see this one being popular in my elementary library. It may be predictable, but for striving readers who want to read what looks more their age level, this will be a great choice.
Erica
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Krysta
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Secret of Danger Point begins the adventures of Sam and Jade, two friends who solve supernatural mysteries at their home on the beach. The book feels like an instant classic, reminiscent of serial mysteries like the Nancy Drew stories, but updated for a modern audience. The cheerful illustrations will appeal to tween readers of graphic novels, as will all the adventure–and romance! Anyone who has ever dreamed of solving mysteries like the Boxcar Children or the Hardy Boys will love the Surfs ...more
Melissa
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
For two girls in a coastal town, surfing and swimming are second nature. Ghosts and mysteries? That's a different story. When Samantha discovers the local landmark Danger Point is populated by ghosts, it's up to her and her friend Jade to put a stop to the construction about to take place. To convince those around them, they need to uncover the secrets of the past with the help of some new paranormal pals and some mustachioed disguises. This sweet summer story has a few laughs to get readers gig ...more
Bryan
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
As preparation for moving into a 4th grade teaching position I’m trying to acquire as many “middle grade” friendly graphic novels for my classroom library. This book easily fills this niche.

I thought this one had very cute artwork that younger students are probably going to enjoy and very simple language that should be easily read by all readers. The characters are all pretty likable with the exception of one minor gripe on my behalf and are fairly against type. Both girls skateboard and surf, l
Nick
This is a fun, light mystery with a bit of a ghost story running through it. In a California seaside town, the local hermit has died and the ownership of his property seems to have changed hands in a mysterious way. Two local girls, enjoying the water for swimming and surfing, encounter even more mysteries, as Danger Point seems to be the habitat for strange things, seemingly ranging from ghosts to baby prehistoric birds.
The mystery aspect is good, and the ghost story is both interesting and tou
Kathryn Atkins
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done
I am sure I'm not in the target audience for this beautifully illustrated book. But then neither is my ninety-six-year-old mother-in-law. However, it doesn't matter, because the pleasing pastel-seaside colors and cute story about two girls who have to solve a mystery and save their community were quite enough to keep us engaged.

There's an 'undercurrent' of a theme that is to protect this seaside environment. There's also a nice character arc for the protagonist and her best friend. The story unf
Arminzerella
A_quiet_fangirl
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This was pretty okay. It wasn’t terrible, but two stars were taken off for two reasons:

1. How the “plot” wrapped up.
To my disappointment, most of this book was figuring out the situation and getting used to/ meeting all the characters. Which makes sense because it’s te first book of a series, but still! It made me feel confused and rushed.

2. Relationships.
If you have no problems with our 12-year-old Mary Sue main character liking a dead guy, I’m sure you’d like this book! But I had several pr
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Okay Witch
  • Nat Enough (Nat Enough #1)
  • All Summer Long (Eagle Rock #1)
  • Stepping Stones
  • Sunny Rolls the Dice
  • Act
  • Click
  • Camp
  • The Breakaways
  • Stargazing
  • Doodleville (Doodleville, #1)
  • Short & Skinny
  • Graveyard Shakes
  • Camping with Unicorns (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #11)
  • Lightfall: The Girl & the Galdurian
  • Star Scouts
  • Lily the Thief
  • Pilu of the Woods

Surfside Girls (2 books)
  • The Mystery at the Old Rancho (Surfside Girls, #2)