Start by marking “Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)

Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  698 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
A Premiership footballer is shot dead in cold blood on a busy London street, and a country is gripped with terror. Who is behind this apparently motiveless killing, and who's next in the firing line? It is up to crime-beat reporter Jack Garrett and single mum DC Laura McGanity to find out.
Published 2007 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Fallen Idols, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fallen Idols

Janet
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the first of Neil White's that I have read and I will be reading more.

What starts off as what I thought would be a good whodunnit turned into an action packed thriller with whodunnit elements and a good revelation at the end, which I should have seen, and didn't!!! Doh!

Basically we have Jack Garrett, a freelance crime reporter hailing from rural Lancashire but now living in London. And we have Laura McGanity a DC who knows Jack well, sometimes helping each other out, passing information
Linda Strong
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
A professional footballer is shot down in the middle of a busy street. Two real estate agents are murdered in a nearby flat. A second footballer is murdered. And yet a third one receives a phone call ... from a woman who has been dead 10 years. Ten years ago, she had been raped and murdered, but never made to pay for his crime. She wants to make him pay .. now.

What he does in order to save his own skin leads to several more murders ... one of them is Jack Garrett's father, a policeman who had ac
Brenda
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a little slow in the beginning and I wasn't taken with it at first. There were a couple of times I needed to go back to check some facts. When the action started, and questions were raised, I needed to know the answers. I like the journalist/cop relationship; it's an added dimension to the typical crime story. I think the relationship between Jack Garrett and his father was very well written, but their earlier distance was only mentioned and not explained.
Angela
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fallen Idols is a fast-paced, impossible to put down, roller coaster of a ride thriller. I was thoroughly entertained and look forward to reading more from Neil White in the future.
Best Crime Books & More
My sister has been working through the Jack Garrett series of books; and with each one exclaims that I am missing out. After her last time of telling me I caved and pushed Neil White up to the top of the pile. Jack Garrett is a journalist who although originally from Lancashire is now living in the heart of London. The book starts out with a bang when a Premiership footballer gets shot dead in the street. DC Laura McGanty is put on the case and immediately knows that the murder is more than it f ...more
Abhijeet Dutta
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"FALLEN IDOLS" , the first novel of the series as well as of the author was a dynamic debut done by Neil White. With this piece only i have become his Fan.
Synopsis : There is a killer who is eliminating Premiership footballers of England one by one in broad daylight. Terror increases day-by-day. The killer is in front of you in the entire story. but still you won't be able to guess till the end.
It was so good that had i been a film producer , i would have instantly purchased the copy
Lynda Kelly
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was a cheap Kindle book for £1.99 and a new author to me. It features a police lady and her reporter boyfriend who are both involved in the case of Premiership football players getting shot in broad daylight. It is set in London and also Lancashire and was very well written and gripping reading which kept me interested and had plenty of twists and turns too. This one was written in 2008 and luckily there are more to follow featuring the main 2 characters which I'll be getting soon.
Nicky Mottram
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
Slow start but then got very gripping and had to keep reading till I got to the end . Start of a good series
Mrs Heather Muirhead
A good read

This was a very easy read with a credible storyline and characters you could relate to. Will buy book two.
Angela
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great story!
Karen San Diego
This is my first shot at English author Neil White and I am very, very impressed.

I am also confused why he does not have more readers.

I think I spent two weeks on this book but that doesn't say anything. I usually read books within 1-7 days. That's if I'm not busy and harried by school works. Well this time, I was, so the book is not to be blamed. For one thing, it's incredible. It has a pretty fast pace, very interesting plot and well-defined characters.

Let's dissect characters first. Jack Garr
Elusive Controversé
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
‘Fallen Idols’ is about a serial killer that targets well-known football players. The book begins with the death of two estate agents and a football player. Then another famous player, David Watts receives a call from the killer.

The case itself was interesting. Many things aren’t what they seem and you find yourself questioning the details of a crime that was committed years ago, in which a girl was raped and subsequently murdered. There were no witnesses and David was the last person to have se
Teresa
Jun 12, 2011 rated it liked it
The whole time I was reading this book there was this nagging feeling itching at the back of my mind that I knew the two main characters but I was certain I had not read the book before. The feeling was so strong it distracted me from concentrated on this story. At the very end of this edition there is the first chapter of the next story and that's when I realised I had read book 2 several years ago and Jack and Laura had made a big enough impression on me for me to recognise them again even aft ...more
Netty
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-thriller
Holes! I don’t like falling down them and I don’t like seeing them in books. Unfortunately this book is a Swiss cheese of holes. I was initially excited about this book and although the build up was a tad slow once it got going I was hooked. Then the plot went all wonky for a time. There are so many ‘buts’ and ‘Huh’s’ that it was distracting me from the story.

Example one: Ballistics would’ve have spotted that the gun had been wiped and the angle of the bullet would’ve shown that it wasn’t suici
Mary
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I’ve read hundreds of thrillers and mysteries in my life and I’m always looking for something that will keep me on my toes and throw in a good twist at the end, not to mention hold my interest throughout. Fallen Idols is definitely one of the better in the category with plenty of action and lots of plot twists to keep me guessing as I was reading along. I had a bit of a problem getting into the book, taking up to maybe 30% of the book before getting really hooked, but after that the story took o ...more
Emily G
I really wanted to like this book, the premise was good, footballers being shot and a blackmail plot, but... the story was too long and I got bored too often. There were scenes that grabbed your attention, but in-between, I found my attention wandering. At one point I did think I should start counting how often a character's mouth went dry!

I stuck with it because I liked Jack Garrett, the reporter drawn into an exclusive story that revolves around his hometown's most famous export, a footballer
Carole
This was Neil White's debut novel and it is the best crime fiction I've read this year.
Freelance journalist Jack Garrett and his 'girlfriend' DC Laura McGanity get involved in the seemingly random murders of two Premiership Footballers, which starts in London and then travels to the Lancashire town where Jack was born and where he started his career.
From the first page to the last I was swept along on a rollercoaster ride of twists and turns, with the odd red herring here and there for good meas
Mohsina Zafar
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
It is a good crime novel. The ending seems to be obvious yet doubtful. The story's got a lot of twists but all the threads get linked so easily at the end.
The country football players get shot by some killer. Meanwhile a football star, David Watts gets calls from Anne Paxman who is long dead. He was a suspect of Anne's murder but was ruled out and some other drunk man was sent behind the bars. A freelance reporter, Jack Garrett and a detective Laura work on this case and get it solved.
[Spoiler A
Kevin
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Neil White has become a favourite author of mine.

I picked up on his stories in this series for no other reason than they take place in the Pendle area of Lancashire, where I originally hail from. But what a stroke of luck.

This is a crime thriller in the vein of the best.... You never quite know who the villain is until very late. The books are often macabre, as is this, but told in a way which ensures that the reader just wants to get to the next page as soon as possible.

An excellent book,
Jo Barton
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
When a killer starts targeting high profile footballer players, the common denominator appears to be a footballer with a dark secret in his past. Crime journalist, Jack Garrett and DC Laura McGanity become involved in the investigation and for Jack, in particular, the chase will take him far too close to home.

This high action crime novel hits the ground running and doesn't let up until the story is told some 500 pages later. Well worth a read if you enjoy British crime fiction.

Cleo Bannister
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
The story is cleverly told from a number of characters viewpoints which was a little confusing at first as you do have to work out who is narrating at any one time. Once the story gets underway I found that this added to the drama unfolding.

I did find the beginning a bit repetitive with lots of violence which didn't make sense until the story unfolded more and although I worked out a couple of the twists ahead of time I was wrong with others.

Well worth a read
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was torn between 3 & 4 stars for this as it was a little wooden in places. That said, I love the twist at the end with Emma's identity... Didn't see that coming at all. Interesting that I started off liking David as a character and this gradually changed to dislike throughout the story! The fact that it kept me interested (if not hooked) despite the distractions of my busy life meant I chose 4* not 3...
Maddy Saint
Nov 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
When I read the blurb, I didn't expect enjoy a book about celebrity footballers but I loved it. A really gripping thriller, which was a bit predictable in places (but that didn't detract from the read). This was a free kindle book that I might not have read usually, but I'll probably try some other books by this author.
Tracy
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes I enjoyed Fallen Idols, it's the first book I've read by Neil White and will be reading the second book in this series very soon. This is a very easy book to read although there is still lots going on and plenty to think about from the beginning. I never saw the twist at the end coming which always is a bonus.
If you enjoy police procedure/crime/ mystery they go buy this book!
Vanessa
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was the first book by Neil White that I have read and I will definitely be reading more. It was a well written great story, fast paced, with great characters. I found this impossible to put down a real page turner and great crime thriller. I would recommend this book and have already downloaded the rest of the series. Loved it.
Gillian
I loved this book from start to finish. From page one we're part of the action! It kept me gripped and also kept me guessing. I really like the two main characters Laura and Jack. They make a perfect team. I didn't get to know Laura as much as i did Jack but i'm sure that will change during book 2 which i can't wait to read!
This author i feel will soon become one of my favourites.
K
Mar 17, 2013 rated it liked it
My first time reading Neil White and I really enjoyed it. Not sure if I buy the relationship up between the two lead characters- but the book had the right amount of excitement to keep me interested. Easy read, albeit a bit predictable.
Allison Tolhurst
Good crime novel with lots of twists.
Michelle
May 20, 2011 rated it liked it
A very easy read about someone killing off soccer stars in the UK. While I was able to predict who the baddie was, I still enjoyed how the ending came about. Action packed.
Heather
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good change on the the crime thriller having a journalist taking centre stage rather than the police
  • The Trophy Taker (Detective Johnny Mann, #1)
  • Captured
  • Never Apologise, Never Explain (Inspector Carlyle #2)
  • Dead Man's Gift: Yesterday (part 1)
  • The Colour of Death
  • Long Reach (Eddie Savage, #1)
Neil White was brought up in Wakefield in West Yorkshire, but now lives in Preston, Lancashire, with his wife and three children.
Neil started writing in 1994, but his first book, Fallen Idols, wasn't published until 2007, when it was nominated for the Books To Talk About Award. Three more books have followed, Lost Souls, Last Rites and Dead Silent, and the fifth book, Cold Kill is due for publicat
More about Neil White...

DC Laura McGanity (5 books)
  • Lost Souls (DC Laura McGanity, #2)
  • Last Rites (DC Laura McGanity, #3)
  • Dead Silent (DC Laura McGanity, #4)
  • Cold Kill (DC Laura McGanity, #5)