Start by marking “Regarding the Fountain: A Tale, in Letters, of Liars and Leaks” as Want to Read:
Regarding the Fountain: A Tale, in Letters, of Liars and Leaks

Regarding the Fountain: A Tale, in Letters, of Liars and Leaks

(Regarding the... #1)

The Dry Creek Middle School drinking fountain has sprung a leak, so principal Walter Russ dashes off a request to Flowing Waters Fountains, Etc. asking "...We need a new drinking fountain. Please send catalog. "

Florence Waters responds:

"I'd be delighted. . . But please understand that all of my fountains are custom-made."

And so begins the hilarious chronicle, in letters,
Published April 1st 1998 by HarperCollins (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Regarding the Fountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Regarding the Fountain

Start your review of Regarding the Fountain: A Tale, in Letters, of Liars and Leaks
Dany Burns
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
Still an incredibly cute and fun story. If you've read some of my other reviews you'll know how much I love stories written in letters and email and newspapers and other cool formats so of course I loved these books as a kid and I continue to really enjoy it! In excited to continue on my re read of this series. The mystery in this book unfolds very well even now that I'm older and the characters are just so charming. I still find the writing incredibly clever and fun. This book is written about ...more
Kathryn
Dec 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a delight! Smart, clever, without being annoying or show-off-y (I can't stand it when authors are witty just to show that they can be!) A brisk, charming read. Fun, with engaging characters and a nifty format (letters, memos, drawings, etc.) I guess this is the first of a series, so I will be looking for more. I must say that I figured out the "mystery" pretty early on, but perhaps for kids it will require a bit more puzzling.
Beth
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this ages ago - fifth grade, I think - and it's still clever and hilarious and delightful.

The series goes on too long, though: I read them all today, and while the format remains as clever as ever, the plots become more ridiculous and less distinctive - and therefore measurably less delightful.
Jan Polep
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You may have missed this when it was published in 1999 but what a cool book written in letter, email, newspaper articles, newsletter ... "while you were out" notes, etc concerning a 5th grade class that is trying to get a drinking fountain replaced in there school. Anyone 8 or older will get a kick out of the plot if you can suspend what you believe a super duper fountain should look like. Loved it.
Drew Graham
(Note: I have decided to go back and add some reviews for the books I have read in the last couple of years but haven't reviewed yet. Keep in mind that these reviews are based on readings several years ago, so my feelings or memories about them may have altered with the passage of time.)

Told through memos, notes, newspaper articles and other documents, this book tells the story of fountain designer Florence Waters and her quest to build an epic fountain for the children of Dry Creek, Missouri.

I
Sherry
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was an adorable book I spotted on the shelves at the public library. I'd never heard of it! I was drawn in by the title but then sold when I saw the format.

I love how this book is told through a series of letters, post cards, announcements, newspaper articles, and memos. It is visually a lot of fun to read with many fonts, hand writings, and pictures.

The story centers around Dry Creek Middle School needing a new drinking fountain, Mr. N's 5th grade class, Florence Waters of Flowing
Natalie
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, humor, bob
Review #2 - June 2019
Reading for the BOB again! I actually enjoyed the book more this time through. I was paying more attention because I was writing practice questions.

I appreciated the funny names more this time through. I still don't like reading this style, but it works for this book.

Review #1 - March 2017
Why is the drinking fountain leaking at school? It's a mystery that the class has to solve!

Told through letters, memos and postcards, this is the story of a class who befriends an
Goldilocks Reads (Jenna Vahue)
I just love epistolary fiction. I stole this from my fifth-grade teacher's library because I enjoyed it so much. Take that, Sopcik. I appreciate the way Kate Klise's writing style and her sister's illustrations are able to coordinate perfectly to create a wonderful story. This book hooked me on epistolary fiction and has made me an addict ever since. BTW, I am flying through my TBR shelf. Whoo!

Julie
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this little book! Quick and funny read!
Amy
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My kids were reading it for school, so I thought I'd read it too - it was cute!
Allison
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up on a whim and ended up really loving it. Great mystery, fast read, and memorable characters. May have to read more of Kate Klise's books...
Amy Langston
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book when I was eleven. It is super short, and great for kids, so it was easy for me to read it in one day. I have long wanted to get back to this silly and fun series, and after purchasing the books I could read them again and understand them better.

The series is told through letters, memos, newspapers, notes and the like. There is a certain novelty to this, but I'm not sure the story could be told any other way anyway. The story and plot is very silly, and it is full with
Debra
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun read with the story revealed through letter correspondence. The different fonts and drawings makes you slow down and enjoy the clever puns and see if there are any clues hidden there.
The Dry Creek middle school has a leaking fountain it is getting steadily worse. The principal contacts Flowing Fountain for a replacement basic school fountain and the fun begins. I like the way the secret letters between Sally Mander and Delbert Eel give you a feeling that there is something not right
Rayna
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was one of my childhood favorites. I remember reading this in the 4th grade, and it changed how I viewed books forever. I love the format, how it’s told in letters, memos, and newspaper articles. The names too, how could I forget the characters names. It was something that stood out to me as well. It was nostalgic to go back and revisit it again. I don’t think I’ve read it since elementary school. As an adult, I definitely understand more of what happened than I did when I was a child. ...more
Fruity Lemonade
Reading the Fountain by Katie Klise is another book for the Battle of the Books.
To me it was somewhat strange and humorous.
The whole story was written in letter form between students, teacher, principal, artist, and
school board president. Add a bit of a mystery and it is somewhat interesting.
The middle school needs a new drinking fountain. The character Florence has a very different idea in mind
when you say fountain. #battleofthebooks2018 #middlegradebooks
Nikhita
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I mostly remember this because it was the first epistolary novel I ever read (but I didn't know the term "epistolary" when I first read this as a young child, so I only figured that out later). It also had a plot that, for lack of better words, I found...satisfying, because of the detailed descriptions. Sure, it's pretty exaggerated, but when I was young, I found the meaningful names funny and what happened in the story quite interesting. It's a good book for kids.
Kit
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is very punny. Puns intended. This is a fun punny book. It's about a middle school, Dry Creek Middle School, needs a new water fountain. Flo water is the owner of Flowing Waters Fountains Ect. was asked by the principal, Walter Russ, to build a new fountain. But, where that fountain was placed hid a big secret.
Karijean31
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a creative story! I enjoyed this so much. I couldn't put it down. I loved the twists and turns in the plot and I loved the way there were memos and pictures and not just the words. It was such a fun book!
Ginger
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book when I was a kid. I loved how clever the character names were, and I loved the feeling of being in the know before the characters. A great book for kiddos to introduce them to puns and detective style stories.
Julie
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Very cute story, told through letters and other forms of communications that hail back to the 1990s. Unfortunately, I don't think 21st century kids would get as much enjoyment out of this book as when I first read this as a kid.
Tianna
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
This is a cute book, a simple mystery, told in letters, memos, post cards, interviews, newspaper articles, etc. I have a lot of questions about Florence and how she gets her money… but none of this book is realistic anyway. More fanciful.
Jody
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It got better as it went along. I would call this the precursor of graphic novels, but I found it a bit tedious to read because of the changing font, changing font size, changing forms (ads, transcripts, memos, letters). Ha, those are probably all the things that others LOVE about this book. ;)
Amanda McGill
Wasn't my favourite Kate Klise novel, but still was an enjoyable read. The school is looking for a new water fountain and Flo is going to build them the best one that there is! Told through letters, memos and documents, it was a fun, enjoyable read.
Britt
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a lot in middle school but I hadn't read it in about six years. I still love it just as much as I did then. It's adorable.
Shantel
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: conners-books
2019 Battle of the Books
Michelle
You've got humor, mystery, great characters - feels like EL Konigsburg and Jerry Spinelli but told through letters and pictures.

I love it, but will my kids book club love it? We shall see...
Allison
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun quick read told in letters and such with a bit of mystery mixed in, too!
Ciria
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the multi media presentation. It was a fun story with out - he said... she said... I found that a nice change of pace.
Dawn
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gift for Trey with his correspondence kit
Tanner F
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was fantastic.

• The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs
  • Night of the Twisters
  • Each Little Bird that Sings
  • Worth
  • The Million Dollar Shot (The Million Dollar Series, #1)
  • Ida B. . . and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and (Possibly) Save the World
  • Middle School Is Worse Than Meatloaf: A Year Told Through Stuff
  • Ruby Holler
  • No More Dead Dogs
  • The Chalk Box Kid
  • All About Sam (Sam Krupnik, #1)
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little
  • The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog (Hank the Cowdog, #1)
  • Helen's Big World: The Life of Helen Keller (Big Words)
  • Summer of the Monkeys
  • Savvy (Savvy, #1)
  • The Landry News
  • Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things (Alvin Ho, #1)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.

Catherine "Kate" Klise is an American author of children's literature. Many of her books are illustrated by her sister, M. Sarah Klise. Their popular Regarding series is presented in a scrapbook style format, with letters, journal entries, and related ephemera telling the story. She is also known for her picture

Regarding the... (5 books)
  • Regarding the Sink: Where, Oh Where, Did Waters Go?
  • Regarding the Trees: A Splintered Saga Rooted in Secrets
  • Regarding the Bathrooms: A Privy to the Past
  • Regarding the Bees: A Lesson, in Letters, on Honey, Dating, and Other Sticky Subjects