Start by marking “Lie to Me” as Want to Read:
Lie to Me

Lie to Me

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  19,234 ratings  ·  2,315 reviews
They built a life on lies

Sutton and Ethan Montclair's idyllic life is not as it appears. They seem made for each other, but the truth is ugly. Consumed by professional and personal betrayals and financial woes, the two both love and hate each other. As tensions mount, Sutton disappears, leaving behind a note saying not to look for her.

Ethan finds himself the targe
Published September 5th 2017 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about Lie to Me, please sign up.
AJ Jensen I think the 'abuse' in question was never what it seemed. The incident with the bruises on her arm was explained as happening when Ethan discovered th…moreI think the 'abuse' in question was never what it seemed. The incident with the bruises on her arm was explained as happening when Ethan discovered the nasty article claiming Sutton wrote his books for him. Not necessarily what I would consider 'accidental' but more incidental at worst. Not outright abuse. The bloody nose in the kitchen was never described in detail, only one mention from Ethan of it being an accident, but never by either of them as being an actual hit/punch/etc. Perhaps it was only an accident, which was then played up or blown out of proportion.

As for Josie, damn I was pretty confused at the ending. It was the only thing keeping me from giving this book 5 stars. I don't know, I might change my mind after I sit with this information for a while, but right now after just finishing the novel over three days, I'm disgruntled. If she knew the entire time that Ivy wasn't her daughter, and that Josie was her daughter, why did she play along? Seems so odd. And if she found out after the fact, why not just confess this detail. Why is it so important to hide this piece of her life from Ethan? And also why does she say the creepy line at the end, while she is looking at the photo online of Josie,
"Hopeful, as if a new world awaits her.
It does. Oh, it does."

WHAT DOES THIS EVEN MEAN? (less)
Judy I did think about that for sure but then remembered I was reading a novel and let it go. But like others I did wonder who Josie was and if I needed to…moreI did think about that for sure but then remembered I was reading a novel and let it go. But like others I did wonder who Josie was and if I needed to go back to see if I missed something.(less)

·  19,234 ratings  ·  2,315 reviews

Start your review of Lie to Me
j e w e l s
Sep 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-bejeweled
ONE STAR

My official first book to finish in 2018, but I actually started this freak show in 2017. So, I'm mentally tossing it in my smallish pile of 2017 disappointments. I have got to start my reading challenge on a more positive note!

I'm at a complete loss as to the rave reviews this book has received. I believe the author was trying for a shock factor and she succeeded in garnering some early excitement. A hollow victory, the book is not worth reading and will not stand the test of time (or m
Kaceey
What a fabulous thriller. Secrets, lies and betrayal! The perfect, juicy recipe! The twists in this book take you in directions you could never imagine. So good!

Ethan returns home to find his wife Sutton, missing. After exhausting all connections with friends and family, he’s at a complete loss. Should he take the next logical step and call the police? Or just keep looking on his own? After all, isn’t the husband the first one on the police radar when a spouse goes missing?

Ethan also has an ima
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
'The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken places.' - Ernest Hemingway. .......... and some are just broken.

Lie to Me opens with the words 'You aren't going to like me very much'................'Truly, you are going to despise me. I am the rot that lives in the floorboards of your house. I am the spider that shuttles away when you shine a light in my corner, ever watching, ever waiting. I am the shard of glass that slits the skin of your bare foot. I am all the ba
Julie
Lie to Me by J.T. Ellison is a 2017 Mira Books publication.

The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places-

Earnest Hemingway

Sutton and Ethan, both authors, marry after a whirlwind romance. But, the marriage hits the skids after a string of disappointments and tragedy.

However, the couple was slowly working things out, according to Ethan. But, one morning he wakes up and discovers that Sutton has simply vanished. She left a note, apologizing and asking that he not
Liz
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to like a man that compares his wife to a thoroughbred. So, I started off right away disliking Ethan. I don't care that two pages later he talks about how her leaving him broke his heart.

This is one screwed up marriage. In the first half, you only see Sutton from what Ethan tells us. But she is definitely messed up, as hard to like as he is. Ellison does a great job of communicating the whole love-hate relationship. She also does a great job of that what to do next tension. I mean, we all
JanB
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
The first half of the book I kept thinking I'd read this book before, and yes I had. Gone Girl. In this case the comparisons are dead on. Missing wife, husband a suspect, but someone - or everyone -is an unreliable narrator.

After reading a few positive reviews I persevered, convinced things would turn around and make it worth my time. But the story dragged. It's never a good sign when you're ready for a book to be over and you see you have hours of audio left. Maybe this one would be better read
Amy
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Domestic thrillers are one of my go to sub genres, there is something completely fascinating about getting a glimpse into a couples marriage beyond what is seen in public. There’s a reason books featuring couples with secrets and betrayals is so huge right now, for me it’s because I love the idea of being a fly on the wall during the unraveling of a marriage. (Yes, I do realize how terrible that sounds) I have seen many people comparing this to Gone Girl and while I can definitely see why, Lie T ...more
Susanne  Strong
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars.

Hooked. Yes, that was me. From the First Sentence, all the way to the Last. Something about the writing style grabbed hold. I can’t explain it. I loved it. I hope you will too.

Ethan and Sutton Montclair are married writers, living quite the life. It’s idyllic – and seems perfect in every way. Yet as we all know, nothing is ever as it seems.

One morning, Ethan wakes up and his wife Sutton is nowhere to be found. What he finds instead of his wife Sutton, is a note from her: "I'm leaving f
James
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Why This Book
I selected Lie to Me by J.T. Ellison, when it was available on NetGalley about 3 months ago, after enjoying a prior book by this author. I'm glad I did as it was very engaging and twisty. I chose it this weekend because I am trying to get to a '0' count on NetGalley TBR books and other ARCs so that I can start 2018 with a clean and fresh slate to choose new reads.

Approach & Style
I read this ~400 page book on my iPad through Kindle Reader over ~5 hours in one
Linda
Like the Rolling Stones singing loud and clear: "You can't always get what you want."

And this one seems to set me outside the perimeter of shinier star ratings. I find myself standing alone on a darkened corner with no taxi in sight.

Ethan and Sutton Montclair are a married couple living in Franklin, Tennessee. Both of these individuals are novelists. Ethan crafts best-selling books and Sutton sticks with historical romances. There appears to be more that shifts this odd couple in opposing direct
Norma * Traveling Sister and proud Grandma!!!
Traveling Sisters Read with Brenda, Kaceey & Susanne

3.5 stars rounded up to 4 stars!

LIE TO ME by J.T. ELLISON is an interesting and intriguing domestic psychological thriller novel that was quite the imaginative, entertaining and fun book to read.

J.T. ELLISON delivers a gripping and fast-paced read here with plenty of twists and turns that had me guessing right up until the very end.  Nothing is quite as it appears to be and had me questioning almost everything that was happening within th
Carol (Bookaria)
Sutton and Ethan are writers who have been married for a while. One morning, Ethan wakes up as usual only to find his wife gone and a note from her asking that he not try to find her.

It appears that she has left him except for the fact that she has left all her things behind. Is the note really from her? Why has she left her belongings? Does Ethan know more that he lets on? All these and more questions arise.

The novel is narrated from different points of view. As it progresses, secrets from the
Carrie
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Ethan Montclair finds a note left from his wife, Sutton, that tells him that she needs to leave and not to look for her. Normally this would seem to be pretty cut and dry that Sutton had decided to leave their marriage but Ethan does not believe that to be the case this time. Ethan and Sutton had lost their son exactly a year before and he's worried that there is more to Sutton's disappearance than wanting out of the marriage and that she might actually hurt herself.

Ethan decides to call the po
Lisa
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
Ethan & Sutton Montclair were literary fiction writers & had the perfect home The perfect marriage or did they? everything was perfect so Ethan thought until he found a note from Sutton saying I am leaving please don't look for me!!

Having an image to protect he got Joel Robinson that Sutton's personality changed after losing her son Dashiell died Sutton was also hiding a secret, Ethan found 50.000.00 dollars missing from their investment account & Sutton had looked up borderline personality dis
Linda Strong
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ethan and Sutton Montclair seem to have it all. They are both writers, they make good money, have a beautiful home, and they love each other. Or so it seems ...

The truth is something entirely different. Ethan had a one night affair, a night he doesn't remember but someone has a picture. They had a child, a little boy, who died of SIDS. They blame each other for his death.

They have a life built almost entirely on lies.

One morning Ethan comes downstairs, expecting to see his wife fixing breakfast
Brenda -Traveling Sister
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it

I read Lie To Me with three of my Traveling sisters. We squeezed this one in between our other sister reads and we weren’t really on schedule with each other. We didn’t really discuss this one that much. So for this review, I will stick with my thoughts.

Lie to Me is a purely entertaining and intriguing psychological thriller revolving around some domestic violence. I found the story to be unique in the way the domestic violence was portrayed as I felt J.T Ellison touched on the violence
Krystin Rachel
"They built a life on lies."

Okay, if you say so.

I was expecting a dark domestic noir thriller, and instead what I got was two assholes who married each other and could have avoided a lot of shit if they'd just, I don't know, talked like people who got married for a reason. Failing that, try therapy.

Their marriage issues were all tales as old as time. Nothing really shocking - he has a wandering eye, she can be cold and distant. They don't communicate well. Sometimes they love each other, somet
Carolyn
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ethan and Sutton Montclair are professional writers - he a famous author of literary fiction and she a commercially successful writer of romance novels. They seem to have it all - a beautiful house they renovated in style, a good marriage, financial security and a gorgeous baby boy. Although Sutton hadn't wanted to have a child at first, she has come to adore baby Dashiell and is devastated when he dies of SIDS. She suffers depression, Ethan starts drinking too much and cracks in the marriage st ...more
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
A domestic noir novel that delves into the complicated life of a literary couple, authors Ethan and Sutton Montclair, forms the core of J.T. Ellison’s latest novel, Lie To Me. Ellison’s new release opens the wounds of a crumbling marriage, exposing a whole host of secrets, lies and betrayals.

Ethan and Sutton Montclair are the perfect couple, leading a lavish lifestyle, aided by their mutual success in the publishing world. While Ethan is a literary writer, S
Holly  B

Ethan and Sutton Montclair seem to have it all, but behind closed doors there is a lot of tension and they have trust issues. Sutton leaves a note for Ethan saying that she is leaving him and for him not to look for her. Has Sutton left on her own or has something tragic happened to her? Ethan finds it necessary to hire a lawyer, but is he responsible?

I found that there were so many characters/narrators that I would just become distracted (the audio perhaps at fault again) and there wer
Kelli
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio
Wow. I really didn't like this one. I never enjoy writing an unfavorable review but this was like a never ending soap opera that got less believable and more kooky as the story went on. This book has so many 4 and 5 star reviews, I question whether the audio exacerbated the soap opera tone of things and perhaps that was less apparent in written form. Several people performed this audio, yet each only read when it was his section, so women performed male voices and vice versa. This didn't work at ...more
Dash fan
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
4☆ A Dark Thriller filled with Drama & Suspense!

Lie to me is a psychological thriller with plenty of twists & turns, secrets and lies to keep you on your toes.

Ethan and Sutton are married.
Sutton goes missing!
Ethan becomes the suspect!

Ethan and Sutton really do have a love / hate relationship built on jealousy, anger, love, hate and rivalry.

So why has Sutton gone missing? Could Ethan really be capable of getting rid of her?

In parts this story gets quiet dark. But it creates a great creepy ambien
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Hey guys – are you looking for the next . . . .

If so, this one kinda actually fits the comparison since it’s about a man who wakes up only to discover his wife is not in bed. Turns out she isn’t in the kitchen dutifully making his breakfast either, which in my house would probably earn him a . . . .

Or, at minimum . . . .

So what is the story? Did Sutton finally have enough of Ethan’s shenanigans and come to the realizatio
*TANYA*
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book started off very strong, I was intrigued. Slowly, this book started falling apart, it was way too over the top. I just wanted to be done with it.
Dennis
Captivating, spellbinding, and a whirlwind of chaos. Those are the first things that pop into my head after reading J.T. Ellison's Lie to Me . Seriously, one of the best books I've read this year! Lie to Me sets the stage with Ethan and Sutton Montclair residing in their home in Franklin, Tennessee. Ethan finds a note from his beloved wife basically telling him she's left him and to not look for her. Confused, desperate, and unsure, Ethan begins a search of his own. As the police inves ...more
Suzanne Leopold (Suzy Approved Book Reviews)
Sutton Montclair’s marriage to Ethan is teetering on the edge. They constantly argue about prior infidelities while their financial problems continue to grow. It also doesn't help that they are both authors with competitive streaks. Sutton has not been herself since the death of their infant from SIDS. She is afraid to go out on her own, and often finds herself unloading her problems to friends.

Ethan awakes one morning to find Sutton gone. She has left a note note explaining that she needs time
Nazanin
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5-3.75 Stars

When Ethan woke up, he couldn’t find his wife in their house. He thought maybe she went for a run but then he found a note! His wife asked him to leave her alone and don’t go after her. But the thing is she didn’t take her things with herself, her wallet, her phone, her laptop, her clothes… And there was some money missing from their bank account. He called her friends, her mother but they didn’t know anything. Ethan was scared to call the police because you know, the husband is al
Crime by the Book
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Q&A WITH J.T. ELLISON: http://crimebythebook.com/blog/2017/8...

4.5/5 stars - I loved this book!!! This is "popcorn reading" in the best possible way - it's addictive and binge-worthy, and full of plot twists and drama. This domestic thriller kept me hooked from the first page to the last! Read my full thoughts in my review here: http://crimebythebook.com/blog/2017/6...
Shannon
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ah, so I finally have the time to sit down, drink a beer and review Lie To Me by J.T. Ellison!

I REALLY liked the set up of this one. Lie To Me is told in multiple POVs, which of course I effin love. Can I say page turner? Like, omg it was addicting. I couldn’t stop reading. EVERY page left me with something, ya know? It was never boring.

So what’s it about? Ethan wakes up one morning expecting his breakfast on the table awaiting him. (LOL, that’s just me though) Instead, he finds no breakfast,
Elaine
Sep 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh. my. Gawdddd. I loved this book!!!

HAHAHA! No, I didn't! Just messing with you!

Here it comes...a spouting, passionate tirade about how Lie to Me continues to portray women as victims combined with an insane and ridiculous plot that puts Lifetime to shame.

** Oh, some spoilers coming - keep the barf bucket close by **

Lie to Me is divided into two parts.

In part one, we are introduced to Ethan Montclair, who finds a note from his wife, Sutton, saying she has left and not to search for her
Vampires, Weres a...: Twisted Challenge: Lie to Me 11 26 Jan 09, 2019 05:19AM
setting 2 18 Mar 24, 2018 11:49AM
thoughts? ****contains spoilers**** 6 239 Jan 06, 2018 09:35PM
General Fiction F...: Week Three Discussion "Spoiler Alert" 13 55 Oct 16, 2017 04:25PM
General Fiction F...: Thank You all 5 12 Oct 13, 2017 06:25AM

• The Wife Between Us
  • The Other Woman
  • The First Mistake
  • The Mother-in-Law
J.T. Ellison began her career as a presidential appointee in the White House, where a nuclear physicist taught her how to obsess over travel itineraries and make a seriously good pot of Earl Grey, spawning both her love of loose leaf and a desire for control of her own destiny. Jaded by the political climate in D.C., she made her way back to her first love, creative writing. More than 20 novels la ...more