Start by marking “Cujo” as Want to Read:
Cujo

Cujo

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  190,423 ratings  ·  3,535 reviews
Outside a peaceful town in central Maine, a monster is waiting.

Cujo is a two-hundred-pound Saint Bernard, the best friend Brett Camber has every had. One day Cujo chases a rabbit into a bolt-hole - a cave inhabited by sick bats. What happens to Cujo, how he becomes a horrifying vortex inexorably drawing in all the people around him makes for one of the most heart-stopping
Published October 23rd 2016 by suma de letras (first published September 8th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Cujo, please sign up.
Mariana Schneider No, Cujo is a very sweet dog until he becomes "bad" and it shows throughout the book. There are several parts narrated on his point of view that will…moreNo, Cujo is a very sweet dog until he becomes "bad" and it shows throughout the book. There are several parts narrated on his point of view that will make you feel sorry for him instead of hate. Makes me want to hug my dog.(less)

Dan Schwent
When a two hundred pound St. Bernard goes rabid, no one is safe! Who will fall to Cujo before the disease he carries finishes him off?

I'm just going to come out and say it. Most of this book feels like filler to me. I think King took what was potentially an award winning tale of terror and jammed as much padding into it as he could until it was one of his shorter novels. Basically, it's a fantastic short story wrapped in a soap opera I couldn't give two shits about.

That being said, Cujo is a rea
Edward  Lorn
Cujo is a hard book to read. It's a short book, but there are certain scenes that just gut me. And all those sections occur in the last 25 pages of the book. The first half of this book goes by rather quickly. Then Donna and Tad get stuck out at Camber's place and I simply do not want to continue reading. The first time I read this book was after having watched the movie. Cool enough flick. Slasher film with a dog instead of a masked killer. Survivor is the woman and her son. Rock on. I don't li ...more
Lyn
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Writing a review about Cujo is a little like reminiscing about being a teenager and listening to Black Sabbath.

Trying to describe it, and to put the experience in words, reveals the cartoonish elements in stark relief. But while being read, the novel is rich with storytelling and more complex than would seem on it's surface.

And like the best of Sabbath: It rocks.

Yes, it's about a town that gets eaten by a big, rabid dog, but King is able, and with some credibility, to tell a tale of modern par
Mia Nauca
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 estrellas
Regreso a hacerle la reseña
Dan
Aug 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dog owners and claustrophobics.
I'm guessing that many of you own or have owned a dog at some point in your life. And, i'm also guessing that you'd consider said dog to be loyal to you and part of your family. So, I ask you, can you possibly imagine what you'd do if your dog went rabid?

Pooch would lose his appetite. Start to become easily confused. Tired. His brain would melt and with that he'd forget about you. Forget the loyalty and love he held for you.

He'd feel intense pain.

In his eyes YOU would become the reason that he f
Mario
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, own-read
The monster never dies.

4.5

Cujo was a book I thought I was going to like, but not be scared of it (I mean, how scary can a rabid dog be, really?), but boy was I wrong with the second statement! This book did scare me. It still does when I think about it. It even reminded me of Pet Sematary which is my favorite King's book, and that says quite a lot.

Cujo is a story about a Saint Bernard dog who one day chased a rabbit into a bolt-hole. The problem was that the hole was filled with rabid bats, and
Gorgona Grim
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Isuse Hriste na biciklu _________

Nedeljama nakon čitanja ove knjige osećaj izmoždenosti i devastiranosti me ne napušta, utisak je i dalje prejak. Iz neobjašnjivih razloga dugo sam želela da pročitam ovu knjigu i ispostavilo se da će mi ona biti među omiljenim Kingovim pričama.

Opisi likova i radnje, tačnije apsolutno svega što se dešava čine da sve teče toliko sporo da se u jednom trenutku zapitate zašto i čemu sve to. Sa druge stranje, upravo zbog te detaljnosti, sa likovima sam se povezala i vi
Helene Jeppesen
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a creepy read, this is it. "Cujo" was written during a time in which Stephen King was doing drugs, and it was exactly for that reason that I wanted to read it.
Cujo is a cute, however big, St. Bernhards dog, who one day gets bitten by a rabid bat. This incidence turns Cujo into monster who longs for food and no one can feel safe around this formerly beloved dog.
The scenes with Cujo were nerve-wracking, but what I loved the most about this novel were the characters which we
Christy
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who need to remember to love on their big dogs!
4.5* New movie version currently in production!

This book was so well written, the characters completely fleshed out, that it's very hard to believe King wrote this book so drunk that he doesn't even remember writing it! Wow! And to then win the British Fantasy Award...and (two!) movies. All I ever seemed to do when I was drunk was trash the house....and worse--hurt those who loved me closest (which is why, like King, I gave the stuff up over a year ago).

What a complete page turner--very hard to
RedemptionDenied
Goddammit!! This is currently on offer: £1.99p in the UK, $1.99 in the US (I think - it's showing as $2.68 - probably because of the exchange rate). It's the same price for: Lisey's Story, Insomnia, 11.22.63 and Hearts in Atlantis, too!
Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 10, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gag.

I thought about just leaving that one word as my review. Or maybe adding "'nuff said" as they used to say in Marvel Comics when I was "younger". I thought maybe though you'd like more.

I hate it. This is one of those books I can't say enough about...enough bad that is. You like being depressed? You like looking for the worst? Your real life doesn't have enough CRAP happening in it so you want to add more??? Well, then you've found it. If you are the kind of person who says that novels should
Nandakishore Varma
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Even though I don't think it will spoil your reading experience, I have to warn you that there are mild spoilers ahead.

I wrote in my review of The Shining that it was the scariest book that I ever read. Well, that may be, but there the horror ended when I closed the book.

With Cujo, it started then...

--------------------------------------------------------

Every child is afraid of the monster that creeps upon him when the lights are out in the bedroom and mom and dad are safely ensconced in their
Kandice
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is terrifying. More so because the important events in the story could all actually happen. They are real possibilities. This story would not work in today’s age of cell phones and constant communication, but for anyone with a memory of the way things used to be, it reads as all too possible. On a personal note, I have always kept a small box of water bottles and snacks in my car since learning to drive because of THIS book.

Any true King fan knows how he loves to tie his novels togethe
Antonio
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-terror
Te dije que se irían, Tad, le susurró. Siempre lo hacen al final. Y entonces yo puedo volver. Me gusta volver. Tú me gustas, Tad. Ahora volveré todas las noches, creo, y todas las noches me acercaré un poco más a tu cama... y un poco más... hasta que una noche, antes de que puedas llamarles a gritos, oirás algo rugiendo, algo rugiendo justo a tu lado, Tad, y seré yo y me abalanzaré sobre ti y entonces te comeré y estarás en mí.

Alguien me puede decir ¿qué era lo que había en el armario de Tad?
Paula
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, stephen-king
Cujo gets bitten by a rabid bat and the big friendly lovable Saint Bernard turns into a murderous beast. I really enjoyed this one a lot. I loved that Cujo's point of view was included. I couldn't help but feel for Cujo with all that happened to him due to circumstances beyond his control. I liked the small town setting of Castle Rock, Maine. The story was very atmospheric with an underlying tone of dread and apprehension throughout. Exciting, engrossing, bleak, sad, and very enjoyable.
Leo .
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bill
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All hail the King.

Since giving Empire Falls five huge stars back in March, I have had seven, count 'em, SEVEN DNFs out of the past 10 books I've started since then.
This was really starting to worry me. Was it possible that Empire Falls had such a hold on me that it would be impossible for anything else to hold my interest just because it wasn't that novel?
In exasperation, it was back to the Stephen King well, dipping back into those early ones I had never gotten to. I grabbed Cujo with mild rese
Sh3lly (grumpybookgrrrl)
Nov 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror fans
I guess I'll stick with my original 3-star rating. This almost feels like it should have been a novella. There isn't quite enough meat here for a full-length novel. By the end, I just wanted it over and stopped caring about the switches back and forth between town members who weren't even in town during Cujo's rabid attacks (but are partially indirectly responsible).

However, Stephen King is really good about keeping you interested in various types of gray characters. Some of them are just cut an
Roula
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ohhhhh....myyyy...goooood...πραγματικος , ατοφιος τρομος και αγωνια στο κατακορυφο !!! #woof
Martin Rondina
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cujo...Cujo... mi tan subestimado Cujo!

Cuando empecé a leer esta novela, leí mas criticas negativas que positivas. Hacía rato que quería comenzar a leerlo, pero no me animaba por los comentarios de los lectores (grave error). ¿Qué decir de esta novela? bajo mi punto de vista, solo una palabra la define: "EXCELENTE". Un libro que va más allá de una trama lineal, nuevamente nos encontramos en el maravilloso Castle Rock, Maine, creado por Stephen King. Acá no conoceremos la historia de un perro rab
AudioBookLover
I really liked this story but I didn't think it was as good as Pet Semetery. Most Stephen King books have great audiobook readers but the woman who read this one wasn't very appropriate for the book. She is an old woman that sounded like a witch. If this book was about old people or witches she may have fit in but it wasn't about either so it did work.

Story ****
Audiobook**
Overall ***
Kealan Burke
Jan 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unlike most rabid King fans and purists, I came to Cujo rather late. I was barely into double-digit age when I first snuck my mother’s copy of Pet Sematary into my room and read it under the covers (a book that is largely responsible/to blame for the path my life and career took in later years), and after devouring it over the course of a few nights, I promptly took my library card and, using the excuse that I was getting the books for my mother, read almost everything King had released to that ...more
Patricio
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
«But in high school the business of irrevocable choices began. Doors slipped shut with a faint locking click that was only heared clearly in the dreams of later years.»

People who haven't read Cujo probably only know about the mad murdering dog premise, but Cujo is actually more than that.
This is a peculiar King's novel because the horror doesn't come plainly from demons or any other supernatural element nor from the Saint Bernard (only partially), but from the human mind.

The narrative switches
Thanos
Apr 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Πόσο επικίνδυνο μπορεί να είναι ένα σκυλί με λύσσα? Αν αυτό το σκυλί είναι ένα θηρίο Αγίου Βερνάρδου 100+ κιλών? Σε μία απομακρυσμένη περιοχή? Και το βασικότερο όλων… Αν αυτό το σκυλί έχει βγει από το μυαλό του Stephen King? Η απάντηση μόνο ανησυχητική μπορεί να είναι!!!

Αρχικά θέλω να πω ότι δεν έχω διαβάσει πολλά βιβλία του King. Ακόμα κι έτσι όμως, δεν θα έλεγα πως το Cujo είναι ένα αντιπροσωπευτικό βιβλίο του. (Αλήθεια, μετά από «Το Κοράκι» τι καλύτερο μπορεί να περιμένει κανείς?)

Η ιστορία σε
Zack
Sep 14, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Oh I don't know
Damn this is not what everyone said it would be! I appreciate good suspense, but trust me, after 50 pages in that frickin' car, you get pretty bored.
It started out awesomely, with Cujo getting bit and going slowly rabid. He kills a few, and then I said, "Yes! Here comes the good part!" but that was the end of the good part. It became such a boring book, it was hard to get through.
The sideplots were lacking, especially the cereal crap. I was sick of business. Where's the suspense? I could've pick
Raha
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
از اون دسته کتاب هایی بود که موقع خوندنش کلی آدرنالین ترشح می کنید. در کل کتاب خوبی بود....حاشیه زیاد داشت ولی انقدری نبود که حوصله تون رو سر ببره بلکه بیشتر مشتاقتون می کرد که ببینید قراره بعدش چه اتفاقی بیوفته. توصیه میکنم که اگر مثل من یه مقدار ترسو و خیالاتی هستین این کتاب رو قبل از خواب مطالعه نکنید که بعدش تا صبح 20 بار از خواب بپرید و به خودتون و نویسنده ی کتاب لعنت بفرستید :دی
Cody | codysbookshelf
Of Stephen King's novels, this is probably the most difficult one for me to read. It's well-written, don't get me wrong -- the prose here is absolutely gorgeous, among King's most direct and poetic -- but it is so bleak. There is nary a light in the tunnel. Instead, this novel is King's way of shrugging his shoulders and saying "stuff happens." Like Roadwork before it, Cujo's gritty realism can yield fascinating results, but the journey is absolutely gut-wrenching.

What makes Cujo so fascinating
Emma♔☯ (Bookishfix)
“The world was full of monsters, and they were all allowed to bite the innocent and the unwary”

Who doesn't love dogs? Loyal, innocent , silly little balls of fluff. But what happens when a dog goes rabid? What happens when the loyal loving dog you've known for years turns into a lethal killing machine with revenge on its mind?
description
Cujo is the loving loyal, but gigantic saint bernard owned by the Chambers, Brett, Charity and Joe. When the Trenton family first meet the Chambers, Cujo is a friendly
Obsidian
I read Cujo when I was in my teens, but not a lot stayed with me I think because I ended up skimming a lot. I think I was freaked out by some of the things in this book (a man talking easily about raping a woman, another man beating his wife, etc.) and it just caused me to not look too closely at this book. However, this book is old school and somehow still King in his later works. He takes a look at a town, it's citizens, and shows you how things unravel. He is still quite good with kids (oh Ta ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please add the total page number 2 14 Dec 06, 2018 05:48PM
Goodreads Librari...: Alternative cover for same ISBN 2 15 Oct 16, 2018 04:22PM
Goodreads Librari...: Format 6 15 Sep 16, 2018 12:50PM
Wrong Number of Pages 2 13 May 14, 2018 07:37AM
a outra mafalda [...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Leitura Conjunta - Cujo (Fevereiro/Março 2018) 23 32 Mar 30, 2018 04:16AM
  • Thinner
  • Lisa and David
  • The Archidamian War
  • Creepshow
  • Brigadoon (Vocal Score)
  • Novels, 1944-1962: My Home is Far Away / The Locusts Have No King / The Wicked Pavilion / The Golden Spur
  • A Bolt from the Blue and Other Essays
  • Night Visions 5
  • The Art of Fiction
  • Strange Highways
  • In the Flesh (Books of Blood #5)
  • George W. Bushisms: The Slate Book of Accidental Wit and Wisdom of Our 43rd President
  • Second Child
  • Body Rides
35 trivia questions
3 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“The monster nevers dies.” 62 likes
“We'll just have to get along. That's what people do, you know? They just get along. And try to help each other.” 37 likes