Start by marking “Understanding Marijuana: A New Look at the Scientific Evidence” as Want to Read:
Understanding Marijuana: A New Look at the Scientific Evidence

Understanding Marijuana: A New Look at the Scientific Evidence

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  156 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Marijuana is the world's most popular illicit drug, with hundreds of millions of regular users worldwide. One in three Americans has smoked pot at least once. The Drug Enforcement Agency estimates that Americans smoke five million pounds of marijuana each year. And yet marijuana remains largely misunderstood by both its advocates and its detractors.
To some, marijuana is a
Published April 1st 2005 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Understanding Marijuana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding Marijuana

really liked it 4.00  ·

Jeffrey Cavanaugh
Mar 16, 2012 rated it liked it
A rather exhausting examination of all the scientific information on marijuana in all its details; from biochemical, physiological effects to public policy. Quite frankly, after reading this one can only call marijuana prohibition not just a terrible, terrible public policy, but quite possibly an evil one as well. Prohibition makes absolutely no sense, destroys lives, increases crime, denies relief to those who are sick and in pain, and benefits only those with a pathological need to impose thei ...more
Alexis
Dec 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
This year's reading theme= drugs. Seriously, I hadn't noticed that I was reading a ton of books about drugs, but after it was pointed out to me, I decided to embrace it. Anyway, I picked up this one because it was listed in "The Chemical Carousel."

This book continues the theme that we don't actually know that much about marijuana, even though it has been used for over 3,000 years. Some sections of this book are quite interesting and some of the myths about marijuana are completely false. Very fe
Matt
Dec 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cannabis is a highly-misunderstood plant. I had no idea. What an enlightening book. After reading this book, I fully support regulated medical cannabis for those with pain or other medical conditions. It is without doubt a very useful herb for medicine and many many other uses. It is a shame how Kafka-esque its regulation has become. Truly shameful and wasteful and I am ashamed of our nation's track record on this account.
David
Dec 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It’s rare that I read a book so honest and rational such as Mitch Earleywine’s Understanding Marijuana: A New Look at the Scientific Evidence. The book reads like a very well-structured thesis, and is supported by a plethora of research. Earleywine has clearly done his work for this one. Just to give you an idea of what to expect, here is a sample passage (taken from a chapter titled “Social Problems”):

“Prohibitionists suggest that marijuana creates meaningful social problems, including amotiva
Dan
Jan 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This reads like a text book, so don't expect to be entertained. But it does have a wealth of information and is presented by an expert in the field that appears to be fair minded about the subject.

Mitch Earleywine is an "Associate Professor of Clinical Science in Physchology at the University of Southern California. He has received ten teaching awards for his courses on drugs and human behavior and is a leading researcher in psychology and addictions."

Some interesting quotes from the book:

The co
Jeff
Nov 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Even in its objectivity this book compels the conclusion that our marijuana laws are asinine and that common anti-pot mantras are bogus propaganda -- but what else could you expect from any meaningful investigation of the subject?

While this won't really present new information for any of the converted, it still warrants reading. It would also make a good holiday gift for any legislatures on your list.
Nick Black
Oct 20, 2008 marked it as to-read
Amazon 2008-10-20. I was about to dismiss this as faddy or at best obsolete claptrap, but I must say the combination of pubdate 2002 and pub Oxford University Press swayed me...who am I to deny the Authority of Heralded Names heh? We'll see how this goes...

huzzah for pot! huzzah for science! huzzah for evidence! =]
Elohim
Mar 18, 2009 added it
lol read it
Dave Wang
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Dry but informative. Feels more like a textbook than a nonfiction narrative.
Jim
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book. After reading it, I am firmly in favor of beginning the process of legalizing MJ in all states.
Craig
Mar 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
Very well-researched and fairly presented but... boooorrrrrinnng
William Flow
Good but not great nothing new learned
Rue S.
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school, nonfiction
With admitted bias because he was a great teacher/mentor to me personally, I love everything Mitch Earleywine writes. You should too. If you're interested in drugs, that is ...
Joan
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
A bit dry but very objective.
Cherilyn Schuff
May 16, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Pot Inc.: Inside Medical Marijuana, America's Most Outlaw Industry
  • Walks on the Margins: A Story of Bipolar Illness
  • The Road to Hell is Paved With Zombies (Zombie Fighter Jango, #1)
  • Jordan's Brains: A Zombie Evolution
  • Marijuana Is Safer: So Why Are We Driving People to Drink?
  • Why Marijuana Should Be Legal
  • Reefer Madness: A History of Marijuana
  • The Cornbread Mafia: A Homegrown Syndicate's Code of Silence and the Biggest Marijuana Bust in American History
  • Voluntary
  • Too High to Fail: Cannabis and the New Green Economic Revolution
  • The Truth in Small Doses: Why We're Losing the War on Cancer-and How to Win It
  • The Emperor Wears No Clothes: The Authoritative Historical Record of Cannabis and the Conspiracy Against Marijuana
  • Uncle Al Capone - The Untold Story from Inside His Family
  • Einstein's Telescope: The Hunt for Dark Matter and Dark Energy in the Universe
  • Farm Girl Country Cooking: Hearty Meals for the Active Family
  • The Social Order of the Underworld: How Prison Gangs Govern the American Penal System
  • Smoke Signals: A Social History of Marijuana - Medical, Recreational and Scientific
  • Ten Theories of Human Nature