Start by marking “Small Horrors: A Collection of Fifty Creepy Stories” as Want to Read:
Small Horrors: A Collection of Fifty Creepy Stories

Small Horrors: A Collection of Fifty Creepy Stories

Something mimics human voices as it lures you into the woods.

One of the morgue's corpses is missing.

Your friend wants to meet late at night, but they're not acting like themselves.

Immerse yourself in the macabre, the gothic, and the chilling with this collection of fifty short stories.
Published December 4th 2016 by Black Owl Books

To ask other readers questions about Small Horrors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small Horrors

Start your review of Small Horrors: A Collection of Fifty Creepy Stories
Franzi
3.5 Stars

I usually don't enjoy short stories that much. A few pages just aren't enough for me to really love a story and get invested in the characters (obviously). Still, these are some of the best short horror stories I have read so far.
The stories are really short, like 3 pages short, and because of that extremely fast paced, which made it a lot easier to read. They all follow the same pattern and most of them have a quite surprising twist in the last paragraph, but they're still mostly
Badseedgirl
I picked up this digital copy in one of Amazon's many digital book sales and figured it would be perfect for my summer lite and fluffy reading. This was an amazing collection of short stories. And when I say short I mean 5 digital pages or less per story. The stories in this collection are short and rich, like a chocolate truffle. And like the truffles in question I found that reading more than a few at a time, is almost too much. Because the tales are short, the reader is often times left with ...more
Mehsi
So when I saw that this author had bundled her previous 30 stories, revised them, and wrote 20 more stories, I just had to buy this book.

So the following stories are already read (The Dog's Grave Digger, The Sightless, Flotsam, Great Aunt Enid, Footsteps in the Night, Those Who Live in the Woods, Ghost Town, Hazard Lights, The Resident, Host, Overheard, An Empty Church, Room for Rent, Snow Hunting, The Woman in the Morgue, Undeparted, Left Behind, The Last Bus, House for Sale, Diagen, Bunker,
Regina Noviana
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller-horror
These are the kind of short stories that I like! Finally! As short as they are, they still gave me the creeps when reading it! They're so short but they are definitely better than most of short stories that I've read so far. The author managed to get the exact part of scary in each story. Highly recommended for thise who loves horror stories and short stories.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Small Horrors is a horror anthology, and anyone who knows me well, knows I love my anthologies! Especially the horror ones. This book was a little unusual for me, though, because instead of a dozen or so short stories, it was fifty stories of a few pages each. That said, I really enjoyed it! I tore through it and most of them were a little cheesy or predictable, but I still really had fun reading them and would recommend them to anyone who loves horror and isn't looking for anything terribly ...more
Katya
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not gory, not gruesome, not violent, not sleazy, not graphic... but DEFINITELY creepy. Very, very creepy.

The stories all ended at that exact moment of maximum creepiness, which left some of them feeling almost unfinished. Still, I would only label about 10 out of the 50 stories as flat or unsatisfying. Read this book late at night, and you'll get a good scare going on! :)

Becky Stephens
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I really enjoyed this collection of short and entertaining horror stories. Each one was a good length to get to know a character a little bit before jumping into the action.

I'd read a few of these short stories already, but the others were a treat. I liked some more than others, but all are worth reading. I would have preferred to read this collection in October, but I never turn down an opportunity to read a frightening Coates story--even when I'm gearing up for the holidays.

This is a good
Brenda
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Creepy good read

I have always been a fan of short stories especially scary ones and Small Horrors provides plenty of those. Sometimes the stories are odd other times scary but each one is a page turner that packs a punch. Many of the endings were abrupt which adds an additional wallop of oddness. i really enjoy Ms. Coates work and will be watching for her next book.

Another great book provided by my kindle unlimited subscription.
Linda L. Pangerl
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A really good read

I usually don't enjoy short stories this much, but this collection is fantastic! Each story is short but unique. I am very glad that I liked the title & took a chance!!! I have read some of Darcy's books and I highly recommend this author.
Sharon M Hughes
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!

This book was well worth the read. I liked the fact the stories are short enough to read and enjoy 1 or more at a time. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes'creepy stories'.
Jessi
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome collection!!!

Such a awesome collection of stories!!!! I was consistently entertained!!!! I really enjoyed reading this whole book!!! All the stories were really good!!!
Kelsea
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
One of the reading goals that I set for myself in 2019 was to:
A.) Try to finish the various series I've started and abandoned. OR
B.) Try to read all the books by the various authors I've read and enjoyed. (I know.... impossible haha)

In order to do this I've been spending a lot of time perusing my previously read books and seeing what else the authors have published/do I own any of their other books? One author I noticed I read a couple books by & owned a bunch more was Darcy Coates. SO I've
GracieKat
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Small Horrors by Darcy Coates is a pretty good mix of stories. They weren't all to my taste but there was a really good variety to them. I didn't feel as though I were reading the same story over and over which can be a problem with collections occasionally.There were a few too many "just as the such and such did this" type of endings but other than that it's a pretty solid collection.

In Small Horrors you'll meet ghosts (vengeful and otherwise), creatures that stalk the woods and much more. I
Dragoș Iyescu Ionescu
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone and everyone, 16years and older.
Shelves: books-i-own
Currently reading this wonderful book. Started about 15 minutes ago, and I only have a few stories left. Just as her other books, this book is something you want to savor, but can't help devouring like a glutton.

*edit* Just have to add how impressive it is that ONE person came up with all 50 of these great stories. Usually, a book such as this has an editor, with many collaborators. Seeing an author write 50 original stories is very impressive! *done editing*

The title itself, 'Small Horrors'
Hanna
Jan 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
I really like Darcy Coates and have been reading through her entire collection. However after reading Angel of mercy in this short story collection, I feel I have to say:

Authors, including Coates, please stop sensationalizing “Multiple personalities”. This has been going on for years, and it’s very harmful to people with Dissociative Identity Disorder. DID doesn’t work this way. Most often people aren’t aware of any other “personalities” or don’t have completely separate identities. More like
Maggie May
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ghosts, monsters, monstrous humans, even the horror of our own minds turned against us.

Small Horrors is a collection of very short stories. Some are fully fleshed out despite their brevity, some suggest a story and leave the reader’s mind to fill in the details, others tell of a single horrifying event. The shorts vary in intensity as well. They range from eerie to terrifying, a few even allow for a macabre chuckle. The whole collection is quite good. As usual with this author, my only
Gmaharriet
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hard to believe there were 50 stories in this not terribly long book. The quality was variable. Although each one began with a bang, quickly introducing a main character, most of them felt like either they were the beginning paragraphs of a full book, or the first half of a short story...and they would have been great if that's what they were.

I read somewhere that in creative writing, you need to grab the reader's attention right away, and all of these stories do that, but most don't feel
Ronald Keeler
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
The first remarkable thing about Small Horrors: A Collection of Fifty Creepy Stories by Darcy Coates is that this author is the writer of all fifty short stories; stories that vary in content and endings. It would seem that the endings would become predictable. Somewhere after story number twenty, for example, the reader would be able to predict how the next one would end after reading the first couple of sentences. Nope, that did not happen. Every story is fresh, some end with a sudden, ...more
Claudia Loureiro
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: darcy-coats
This was an amazingly large anthology of 50 short stories of horror. Some left you looking over your shoulder, some left you stunned from the twists. Plenty of entertaining reads in the traditional horror, paranormal fields, and quite a few that were frighteningly eerie and others that left you wondering what exactly would happen next. I love Darcy Coates' work, and this was another stunning example at why she's so good at this genre.
Ishaal Ramroop
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's good, I like it each short story is different and also you might get a little paranoid if you start thinking about one of the stories you read, they are more like stories one might tell around a campfire or to your siblings to scare them before bedtime really good and well worth reading again in the future ...more
Rebecca
Jan 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Not being a fan of short stories - I found this a little difficult, but if you are a fan of the author, then you will appreciate her quick style with the horror novels, and I think some of these are absolutely brilliant considering the very small word count. Worth dipping into every now and then if you want something short and scary!
Karel
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short horror stories

I really love Darcy Coates but this book of short stories falls short of her full-length books. They didn't capture my attention as all of her other books have. Some of them were just a little to bizarre and hard to make sense of.

Karel
Chalyse Wood
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I guess I am just not into short stories. I always was left wanting more in most of them. Some of them were suspenseful and actually really good but again, I wanted more. Some of the stories were kind of lame and not scary. I am excited to read the author’s other novels though!
doreen elixman
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great Horror Stories!

Some of these stories are great! from people seeing things in closets to others finding Death seeking them out, these are some great stories to share around the campfire, if you can remember them!
Tammy
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very short but to the point stories.

I really enjoyed the stories in the book and it was easy to get through. Having lots of short stories made it easy to read it when I had time and didn't have to worry about cliffhangers. Really enjoyable.
Tanya
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ghosts, darcy-coates
I absolutely loved this book filled with fifty beautifully creepy short tales another wonderful book by Darcy Coates I especially loved these tales in particular sixth floor, music box, snowbound, doll, the last bus, wax museum. Definitely worth giving this book a read if you're looking for some chills. I also think this is a good book to read if you're new to the author and are interested in reading her works
Erin Newton
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great collection of short horror stories. This collection has a great variety of spooky elements.
Sandra Poole
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good Read

Definitely creepy. A fun read for a stormy night. Keeps your interest even though the stories are short. Don't read these alone.
Nilats
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Creepy but good. Well written with some Australianisms mixed in.
Rikke Petersen
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
It is absolutely one of the better collections of horror short stories (sometimes flash fiction, cause it's so short) by one author that I have read. It's absolutely worth the asking price.

• Dark Little Wonders and Other Stories
  • 51 Sleepless Nights
  • Alphabet Soup: Horror Stories for the Tormented Soul
  • Dark Thoughts: A Collection of Horror Stories
  • Don't Scream: 60 Tales to Terrify
  • Shadow on the Stairs: Urban Mysteries and Horror Stories
  • Callie (The Bayou Hauntings #1)
  • Brutal Bedtime Stories
  • The Trees Have Eyes: Horror Stories From The Forest
  • Sticky Fingers
  • Sleepless Nights: 168 Thriller, Horror, Suspense, and Mystery Short Stories
  • Ten Chimes to Midnight: A Collection of Ghost Stories
  • The House of Long Shadows (House of Souls #1)
  • Short Horror Stories Vol. 6: Scary Ghosts, Monsters, Demons, and Hauntings (Supernatural Suspense Collection)
  • Blood Rites: An Invitation to Horror
  • The Housemates (Damienverse, #4)
  • Don't Scream 2: 30 More Tales to Terrify
  • Short Horror Stories Vol. 2
Darcy is the USA Today Bestselling author of Hunted, The Haunting of Ashburn House, Craven Manor, and more than a dozen horror and suspense titles.

She lives on the Central Coast of Australia with her family, cats, and a garden full of herbs and vegetables.

Darcy loves forests, especially old-growth forests where the trees dwarf anyone who steps between them. Wherever she lives, she tries to have a