Start by marking “The Peterloo Massacre” as Want to Read:
The Peterloo Massacre

The Peterloo Massacre

Published November 13th 1989 by William Heinemann Ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Peterloo Massacre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Peterloo Massacre

Stephen Goldenberg
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
As we approach the 200th anniversary of this horrific event in English history, this is a detailed, very well researched and written book that brings that day horribly alive. And what Robert Reid does especially well is to put it in its historical context of the industrial revolution where the enormous wealth produced by the new mechanised cotton mills definitely did seep down to the impoverished workers.
Sadly, it is still relevant today as we see more and more work becoming insecure and low pai
Lucinda Elliot
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those interested in the Peterloo Massacre
Recommended to Lucinda by: I found it looking for accounts of the Peterloo Massacre
A through account, very well researched, though I would have liked more details about the conditions of the cotton workers, and less about the government lackeys. It made interesting reading, but it left me with a sour taste in the mouth.

Perhaps, when we read an account of what happened after the massacre, that is hard to avoid. Still, for me, this was less the case with the Joynce Marlow and Donald Read books, or the selection of essays published by Robert Poole as 'Return to Peterloo' .

I alre
Sorrento
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robert Reid’s account of the Peterloo Massacre of August 1819 is a very well researched & written masterpiece. Reid charts the build up to the cavalry charge by the local yeomanry and regular army into a crowd of 150000 peaceful unarmed working-class men women and children on Peters field in Manchester. He describes the main characters including the orators and leaders of the reform movement, demanding fair representation in Parliament, together with the agents of the national and local gove ...more
G.J. Griffiths
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
I was reading Robert Reid’s book at the time I saw Mike Leigh’s excellent film of the same name; it was attended by the director who was available for a questions and answers session afterwards. The two melded well in my thoughts then and in my memory much later. What comes across so clearly is the undoubted inequality and lack of rights or privileges allowed for the lower classes at that time. All the cards were in the hands of the landed gentry and their toadies and lackeys, with some such as ...more
Gareth Evans
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very readable and very fine history. A good balance of detail and pace. My only slight criticism is that Reid occasionally ascribes feelings to the protagonists.
Richard
Michael
Jul 31, 2018
1 follower
Librarian Note:
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.
This profile may contain books from multiple authors of this name.