Start by marking “Wordplay” as Want to Read:
Wordplay

Wordplay

When the parts of speech gather on the playground, Verb is always the star. She can climb! She can frolic! She can DO anything! Her friends Adjective, Adverb, and Interjection all watch admiringly. ("WOW!" says Interjection.)

Then Noun comes along -- and Noun can BE anything. A person! A place! Even a thing! ("PRETTY!" says Interjection.) The other parts of speech are fasci
Published July 25th 2017 by Arthur A. Levine Books

To ask other readers questions about Wordplay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wordplay

Start your review of Wordplay
Gaby
Love the concept, but not so much the illustrations. It explains the 'roles' of parts of speech - noun, verb, adverb etc. in a fun and memorable way. A short picture book to tune kids in to grammar.
Abigail
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone Looking for a Story-Based Introduction to the Parts of Speech
Verb is happy being the active center of attention, until Noun comes along and steals the show with the many people, places and things he can be. She tries to steal the show back, reacting to each of Noun's new manifestations, until a threatening bee approaches, and she realizes that without her intervention, Noun is helpless...

Author Adam Lehrhaupt takes the parts of speech - Noun, Verb, Interjection, Adjective, and Adverb - and crafts a tale of initial jealousy and then budding friendship in W
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, children-s, picture
An actually fun book about the parts of speech. Verb loves being able to do things but becomes jealous when Noun steals attention by being able to be a person, place, or thing. Interjection, Adverb, and Adjective serve as a chorus of amusing and appropriately named back up characters. When an angry and determined bee goes after Noun, Verb comes to the rescue. The two team up and prove that simple sentences have more fun together.

A great choice for reinforcing parts of speech and grammar lessons
emyrose8
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I LOVE this. Awesome for teaching parts of speech. Cute ending!
Melinda Weprin
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: asher
Probably a bit older than my 2.5yr old really understood but quite solid concept
Amy
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: slj-reviews
Reviewed for School Library Journal in June 2017 issue.
Gr 1—4—Lehrhaupt and Chapman have created a story to help young readers understand parts of speech. Readers are introduced to Verb, a vivacious red girl with long pigtails and a big black "V" on her sweater. She DOES things such as climbing and twirling and is full of action. Then readers meet Noun, a blue boy who doesn't DO but can BE; he can be a dinosaur, an Egyptian ruler, or a roller coaster. Verb is jealous of Noun and all his differen
Becky
First sentence: Meet Verb. Verb does things. She climbs. She slides. She twirls. Everyone watches Verb. "Wow!" says Interjection. "An impressive display," says Adjective. "Very graceful," says Adverb. Verb is happy. Meet Noun. Noun can't DO like Verb. But Noun can BE. He can be a person. Or a place. Or even a thing. Now everyone watches Noun. "Roar!" says Interjection. "Big, scary teeth...tiny little arms," says Adjective. "What will he be next? says Adverb. Verb notices.

Premise/plot: This pictu
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Lehrhaupt, Adam Word Play, illustrated by Jared Chapman. PICTURE BOOK. Arthur A. Levine, 2017. $18

Noun, verb, adjective, adverb, and interjection are all together to play. Verb is ready for action and she gets a little jealous when noun takes the stage. When trouble comes along, verb has to decide whether to help or whether to leave noun in a lurch.

The picture book starts with a short, clear explanation of each word of speech. The interplay between the words is amusing and with some careful guid
Becky B
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Introduces Noun, Verb, Interjection, Adjective, and Adverb as characters in the story. Verb does things. Noun just is. But Verb gets jealous of Noun, until she realizes they are better working together. Interjection, Adjective, and Adverb provide commentary throughout the adventure.

This is a fun and memorable way to introduce the parts of speech to kids. Each of the parts of speech not only are a different character, they are a distinct color and their words are also that color. Highly recommend
Jana
This is a very clever picture book that will be so much fun to share with young readers. Using humorous narrative text and playful illustrations, this book introduces kids to the parts of speech. Verb does things and loves to be the center of attention. But noun can be all sorts of awesome people, places, and things. The rivalry is interrupted by some interjection trouble and readers will have a great time finding out all the parts of speech work things out. This would be great to have in elemen ...more
mary dewley
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
I understand the decision behind using chunks of color to make each character stand out, but that, coupled with the overwhelming green background of every single page makes it visually unpleasant. I felt like I was reading a story about a box of crayons and not parts of speech. The interaction between the verb, noun, adjective, adverb and interjection were playful and got the point across in a fun way, but the rest of it was just a primary blob of color that hurt my eyes.
Kelly
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! Creative! Amazing!

Loved this book! The book shows many friends: Noun, Verb, Adjective, Adverb, and Interjection. It describes, age-appropriately, what the function is for each of these friends. There is an actual story that makes these different parts of speech make sense.

Bright, colorful, simple illustrations.
Linda
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Word Play, by Adam Lehrhaupt, is about the parts of speech (verbs, nouns, adjectives, adverbs, and interjections). This colorful children's book, uses pictures of "Verb" and "Noun" to help explain the parts they play in speech and also to teach the importance of friendship. This book is a fun way to learn!
Kelly
Aug 10, 2017 added it
Shelves: 2017, wordplay
I like Adam as a person, but I often don't think his books are very good. They're very hit or miss for me. I thought this was a weird, if not unique, way to go about teaching standing up for someone else.
Lori
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
My Boys & Girls Club kids enjoyed this book. It's a great picture that talks about the parts of speech.
(It's a grammar book that doesn't put you to sleep!) Fun and lively illustrations. Great for older preschoolers-young elementary school students.
Ashlin Edmisten
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, zz2017
This is a really well thought-out book about the parts of speech, especially nouns and verbs. After I read it to my kid, he explained the roles of each part featured. The illustrations and story are engaging and the "moral" as it were is executed well.
Use this to teach how nouns and verbs need each other to make sentences. Grammar never had so much fun.

I love the peanut gallery of interjection, adjective and adverb- a nice touch that really made the story.
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This would be a good choice for reading aloud as it certainly makes the parts of speech a lot more memorable!
Vicki
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
An introduction or in my case a review of the different parts of language.
MaryLibrarianOH
Clever idea for teaching the parts of speech. However, I think teachers are the target audience, not kids.

From advanced reader copy.
Rebecca Ann
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
For fans of the Movie "Inside Out" or Schoolhouse Rock (blast from the past). This is a really awesome book for teaching parts of speech!
Mary
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun (adjective) way (noun) to entertainingly (adverb) introduce (verb) parts of speech!
Tori Sachtleben
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I was probably more amused than I should have been by the fact that it had a bee to introduce helping verbs.
Tami
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
A great way to teach kids about grammar. Cute imagery with lots of colours, I'll definitely be reading this to my son when he's a bit older.
Sharie
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rdg-level-pic
The end papers are wonderful!
Alyssa Gudenburr
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
This books starts off great explaining the parts of speech but only successfully explain noun and verb. The other characters didn't make sense nor where they properly introduced.
Michelle Simpson
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is really clever and would be a nice introduction or review of parts of speech.
Kevin Summers
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Good book for teaching the parts of speech, although the best audience probably is early elementary students.
Mei-Ling
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-reads
a wonderful little book that will help kids learn about parts of speech!
Angela
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute and clever introduction to parts of speech. A friendship story.

• Tap the Magic Tree
  • If You Give a Moose a Muffin
  • The Day You Begin
  • Pearl
  • The Very Last Castle
  • Nerdy Birdy Tweets (Nerdy Birdy, #2)
  • Uni the Unicorn (Uni the Unicorn, #1)
  • Carmela Full of Wishes
  • The Bear Ate Your Sandwich
  • Drawn Together
Adam Lehrhaupt is the award-winning author of Warning: Do Not Open This Book!, Please: Open This Book!, Chicken in Space (A six book series: Book 2 Chicken in School lands June 20, 2017), I Will Not Eat You and the upcoming I Don't Draw, I Color (March 21, 2016), Wordplay (July 2017), Idea Jar (Fall 2017), and This is a Good Story (Spring, 2018). He has traveled to six continents, performed on Bro ...more