Start by marking “Stress-Proof: The Scientific Solution to Protect Your Brain and Body--And Be More Resilient Every Day” as Want to Read:

Discover simple, science-based strategies for beating stress at its own game

When's the best time to exercise - and how much is too much?
Which foods fortify the brain, and which do the opposite?
How can we use music, movement, and motivation to boost our rational brain and keep our cool no matter what life throws our way?

Short bursts of stress are an inevitable part of mod
Published August 22nd 2017 by Tarcherperigee

To ask other readers questions about Stress-Proof, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stress-Proof

Andrew
This is a surprisingly good and rather unique book containing many strategies for managing a lifestyle which is constantly under stress. It covers food, exercise, pleasure, addiction, social interaction, and much more. Definitely recommended.
Ben H
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant read. This book is not only relevant for those of us who are stressed - it also educates us on living happier and healthier lives by making small, manageable changes to every day behaviours.

Before reading this book, I was suffering from an autonomic nervous system condition that is not well known about. I was told by doctors and specialists that my condition was likely permanent, but by strictly following the advice given in this book, I was able to make a full recovery.

I c
Maureen Russell
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jammed packed with research findings and ideas to help prevent or reduce stress in your life! The subtitle says “The scientific solution...” but it should be “solutions” because there’s not just one, there are many. The last line of the book says something like “If you can’t do everything, do what you can. It will go a long way.” I have gleaned a few things, made some changes and definitely see a difference. Highly recommend to anyone who realizes stress plays a big part in their overall well be ...more
Sina
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book gives a lot of advice to manage your stress and anxiety. One may read it over a long period of time to have time to implement all the advices.
Kristel
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone who ever feels stress. Well written scientific studies support easy to make life changes.
A.Archer
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A unique book: both thoroughly researched & evidence-based and an entertaining read. Highly recommended.
Marsha
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I won this through Goodreads Giveaway -
I found this book very interesting and well written. I would recommend this book to others.
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
This book was awesome and very relevant for me as someone who tends to favor the “emotional brain” and can think negatively more than I’d like. There’s some really eye-opening information (and some I know but learned a lot more about). The current research on areas related to how the brain and body handle stress along with practical advice for improvement made this fascinating and accessible. I liked the formatting of the book as well. This is probably the best book I’ve read on mind-body connec ...more
Sergey Shishkin
The book is packed with tips and tricks to reduce stress symptoms and improve recovery from chronic stress. The tips are all based on scientific research, although most areas covered in the book are still understudied. This results in dozens generally making sense suggestions that have potential to improve one's life, although without any certainty. The most obvious areas are sleep, diet and self-control. I found the suggestions useful and practical, although I would not give the book such a def ...more
Jimmy Tu
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great reference book for a variety of methods of maintaining stress. Mithu goes through a variety of research which goes from common themes like live healthy and mediate to more esoteric research like force flow in order to break negative emotional loops, eat less ripe bananas to reduce your inflammation levels and music with a fun rhythm you can tap your feet to increase happiness.
Kate
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eh. Good information but kind of boring. Also felt a little homiletic at times—do this for 30 minutes a day, do this for 1 hour a day, do this for 5 minutes a day, do this every 30 minutes... if I did everything she suggested for the amount of time she says every day, I'd have no time to get anything else done. Just doesn't seem very practical.
Jenna M
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
A good shopping list of strategies but doesn't try to tackle the deeper systemic issues. Also, science, I love you, but why you gotta keep torturing tiny furry animals?
Mike Mcbride
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reasoning, research, and mindset were fantastically orchestrated in this book. The author showcases the effects and importance of using growth mindset, outlook, and breath as means to influence stress, giving the strategies and effects of both positive and negative means.

This research was clearly and succinctly referenced and was stated in ways that readers who aren't specialists can see the results and connections. The connections and writing flowed throughout the book as the concepts were intr
Pranav Sirvaiya
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are many good Psychology, Self-help & medical books for an average reader. This book is about how health, psychology and self-help are connected. And how by managing our attitude, health, sleep, psychology, etc. we can grow ourselves & be better. I highly recommend this book. It is an awesome read. Also, this is one of the book which is from a doctor & is in plain (easy to grasp) language.
Thanks Mithu for sharing the knowledge. Hope to see a sequel with some more easy to unders
Elisabeth Bjuro
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, very comprehensive book with tips I have greatly benefitted from! I keep
going back to this book as it's so dense with knowledge and to remind myself of things to
implement in my routine. The market is so saturated with tips and tricks for your health, it's
great to have this collection of advice all from a professional in the field. I recommend this to all busy people in my life!
Simone Tumolo
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a gem! This unique and practical guide show us step by step how to move beyond the limit of the known and into a beatiful stress free life! The author has done an outstanding job of creating a manual for human body and mind. Looking forward to next books covering yoga and meditation. I k grateful for this book.
Deanna
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, science
I really enjoyed this book. It was a great mix of science and self-help. The author offered detailed suggestions on ways to increase your ability to deal with stress which have been backed by science.
Wendelle So
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great
The author is a formidable MD-Phd from Cambridge, yet remarkably she is not showing off in this book. Rather, in bullet-proof-ready short paragraphs, she identifies specific methods and solutions to deal with stress, backed by study after study and an intricate understanding of the workings of the brain.
Kasie Galley
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stress Proof offers incredible insight on how to manage stress in effective scientifically proven ways. I was really impressed by the number of recommendations, some of which I will be trying to employ during my daily/weekly routine. I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to gain more stress management strategies.
Anna Thomas
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Contains lots of great ways to help yourself be resilient to stress as well as relieve stress. Some simple everyday ways to live a happier healthier life.
MAEVE LAGAN
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this if you wish to understand what is going on when you are stressed, why it’s not always a good thing and practical tools to change. The book gently nudges you to be slightly kinder to your mind and body. A smart book for everybody!
Chris Wilby
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very mind inspiring
Nixie
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To the point, with references to tons of studies and whitepapers. Great source to pick up a few new habits.
Joseph Michael
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent practical advice that worked for me.
Christine
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book has some great, scientific-based advice on how to adapt better to stress.
P Michael N
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jam packed with a lot of information on how to deal with stress. Worth reading for a better life overall for anyone, whether stressed or not.
Raven Hair
Jul 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Interesting information that I have read and heard before.
This book was meh.
Basma Z
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great tips and scientific points that got me keen to know more and understand my body and its reactions.

I would recommend this book as a physical copy rather than audio, so you can note the tips and keep them somewhere handy to refer too.
Emily
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was caught by the title when passing it in the library one day. As someone who deals with a pretty high amount of stress, I figured it was worth a try. The book has some good advice and is nicely laid out. I liked that some chapters at the end reiterated the advice given in a bulleted form (though I wish all of them had this feature instead of just some). I thought the information was interesting, and that the author did a good job of breaking it up and not making it too statistical or boring. ...more
Polina
May 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book contains oversimplified information about stress accompanied with general advice such as "sleep well, work out, hug a friend". There are also some unsupported claims of "kukurma consumption will do wonders" and "hot yoga is good for you cuz it's harder than normal yoga!".

But the worst part is the advice about "controlling your own emotions". It's kind of like "Are you really stressed? just tell yourself to calm down. Look at the bright side. And don't forget to smile!" What? Also, say

• Living Life in Full Bloom: 120 Daily Practices to Deepen Your Passion, Creativity & Relationships
  • The Possibility Principle: How Quantum Physics Can Improve the Way You Think, Live, and Love
  • Start Here: Master the Lifelong Habit of Wellbeing
  • Find Happiness Now: 50 Shortcuts for Bringing More Love, Balance, and Joy Into Your Life
  • The Exhaustion Breakthrough: Unmask the Hidden Reasons You're Tired and Beat Fatigue for Good
  • Having It All: Achieving Your Life's Goals and Dreams
  • It's Not My Fault: The No-Excuses Plan for Overcoming the Effects of People, Circumstances or DNA and Enjoying God's Best
  • Follow Your Passion, Find Your Power: Everything You Need to Know about the Law of Attraction
  • Success Is Not an Accident: Change Your Choices; Change Your Life
  • One Second Ahead: Enhance Your Performance at Work with Mindfulness
  • The Longevity Plan: Seven Lessons from the World's Happiest and Healthiest Village
  • Amazing Things Will Happen: A Real-World Guide on Achieving Success and Happiness
  • The Joy Plan: How I Took 30 Days to Stop Worrying, Quit Complaining, and Find Ridiculous Happiness
  • Smart Change: Five Tools to Create New and Sustainable Habits in Yourself and Others
  • Living Nonviolent Communication: Practical Tools to Connect and Communicate Skillfully in Every Situation
  • The Little Book of Big Change: The No-Willpower Approach to Breaking Any Habit
  • The Stress-Proof Brain: Master Your Emotional Response to Stress Using Mindfulness and Neuroplasticity
  • Supercoach: 10 Secrets to Transform Anyone's Life