Start by marking “Catching Echoes (Reconstructionist, #1)” as Want to Read:
Catching Echoes (Reconstructionist, #1)

Catching Echoes

(Reconstructionist #1)

I preferred it when life came in tidy packages. When it didn't -- when something went awry -- I was exceedingly skilled at packaging it back up. It was my job to do so after all.

I was a reconstructionist.

I collected the puzzle pieces, then I gave those pieces to an investigative team to sort out. I didn't ask questions. I didn't offer answers. I saw. I recorded. I moved
Published December 29th 2016 by Old Man in the CrossWalk Productions

To ask other readers questions about Catching Echoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catching Echoes

Start your review of Catching Echoes (Reconstructionist, #1)
Jeanny
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
eARC kindly provided by publishing house via NetGalley in exchanged for an honest review.

I should start by disclosing I didn't get far with Meghan Ciana Doidge Dowser series (2 books) & never heard of her Oracle series at all. To be clear I'm essentially reading this spin off series as a starting point. That's important bc I've no preconceived notion or knowledge of any backstory. The author did a decent job introducing me to the characters. I was able to discern differences in relationships
Harryo
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
Meghan Doidge is a good writer, and as good writers go, they still make mistakes. The mistake here was putting this book in print before reworking it into something that had more zing.

The premise of this new series: a proud, disciplined 30-something witch with impeccable taste and a too-controlled temperament works with a Scooby-doo gang of a flakey tech witch and super powerful vampire to solve a series of murders.

There's so much possibility here, and I think that with another edit the story
Megan
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing Adept novel

I was so excited to finally get my hands on Wisteria's story. The interactions in other books had intrigued me and- as with so many other characters of Meghan's- I wanted to know more about her. This book is another amazing addition to the Adept universe books. Witty dialogue, fast paced action and characters you can't get enough of. Fans of the other books will love this new series just as much as the others! Can't wait for more :)
Christine Myers
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love that I pre-ordered this so when I checked my Kindle library for the next book to read on my birthday, this one just popped up. Happy Birthday to me!

I was also tickled to see one of the characters was named after my son, Declan (not really but I can pretend). It’s like my own personal Easter egg.

Blending some new characters with old, this first book in the Reconstructionist series explores the Adept world from the POV of Wisteria Fairchild, a witch with a very specific skill set.
Mel (Epic Reading)
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-netgalley
This is a bit of a tough book to review. It's a new trilogy set in an existing world where many of the characters are already known if you've read the previous books. I have not read the other trilogies (two I think) and this series is being marketed as not needing to. But after reading it I think it's probably much more enjoyable if you have read the other books.

It's clear there's an elaborate paranormal version of our world built here but I never felt like I was immersed in it. Instead I felt
Somia
Sep 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
Free on amazon 16th September 2019
Beth
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kobo, used-kobo-pts
I do prefer her to Jade, plus the plot feels less manipulated.
Jennifer McLean
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Spectacular start to a good series. I love the character of Kett from Diodge's other Dowser series so I was thrilled to read that he was a main character in this new series. This book left me yearning for more and isn't that what a good book should do? If you haven't read Diodge before then you're missing something truly magical. Either start here or even better, start at the very beginning of the converging story lines and seek out the first book, Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic ...more
Archer
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this start to a new series.

Wisteria is a little rigid at first, but she comes around and jumps in and helps save the day. I love that Kett is going to play a role in the series as well, because he's always fun to have around. I loved Jasmine and her technomancy skills.

Great start can't wait for the next one.
Deena
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This started out really well. I definitely like Wisteria better than Jade (although not as much as Rochelle). It went down hill, though, especially with the abrupt ending/too much material after the climax. There was also rather a lot of bludgeoning of the reader with Wisteria's mysterious past and untapped/unknown power (Ms. Doidge's favorite recurring trope). These are increasingly less suited to be stand-alones. I would definitely recommend that they be read starting from Dowser 1 and then in ...more
Megan
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Urban Fantasy
Catching Echoes is the first book in Doidge's new series, Reconstructionist. It can be read alone; Doidge gives enough back story to the characters that you will have a good understanding of who they are in the Adept world. However, that would be shame because you have a much more intimate look into the characters if you have read the other series.

Much like the first book in both the Dowser and Oracle series, Catching Echoes draws you in and leaves you wishing fervently that the next book in
 Diana Davis
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Catching Echoes (Reconstructionist Book 1)Kindle Edition
byMeghan Ciana Doidge
I received a complimentary copy via NetGalley for review purposes.

Doidge's talent of creating not only a new type of CSI, but a new kind of magic is FANTASTIC. Her lead, Wisteria Fairchild, is a multi-layered, complex and Complete Female Character with wit as well as the magic of reconstruction. I love the spine of steel or maybe adamantium that the character has, and the ever present and gently laid breadcrumbs that
Jessica
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I really liked this book, a lot. I even loved a lot of it. But there is this one part of it, at the end, that really skeeved me out, and it just... I dunno. Maybe my rating of the book will change when I get more of the story because that's really the only thing that is keeping me from saying it's amazing. I know that sounds impossible and kind of petty, but it's something that truly bothers me to the core. Otherwise, it's an amazingly written book like the others. I love Wisteria so far. There ...more
Karen  Byington
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done
Great Series. Started 1st Cupcakes, Trinkets and Other Deadly Magic on December 9th, then went binged all the others and today I start Unleashing Echoes.

1st reason - I've enjoyed this series is I really like the main characters and their friends. I've found for me, if I don't like the people I'm reading about I don't enjoy the story. Her characters are complex with flaws but they care and they are trying to do what's right, which is not always easy.

Plus each Main character saw the world
Rebecca Goss
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wisteria Fairchild is another of Doidge's multifaceted female characters. She has magic and hints at talent that is unused and feared. She is anxiety ridden, somewhat like Rochelle in the Oracle series. She is professional and respected like Jade, in the Dowser series. She certainly lacks Jade's ability to embrace different types of Adepts and to enjoy life to it's fullest. Ket, from the Dowser series, is featured prominently. I was used to Ket with Jade and forgot how intimidating he can be to ...more
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kobo
I'm thrilled to see a plot that features one of the more intriguing side characters, Ms. Wisteria Fairchild. Someone who has been on the sidelines, but never brought fully into the story. This is her story, and I'm loving it.

I'm also loving the fact that it includes my favorite character from this universe, Kettil the Executioner. Kett is a fascinating character - an enigma in so many ways, powerful, intriguing, and somehow with the ability to care, even though he's a vampire.

However, I found
Jennifer Kellie
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Genre: Urban-fantasy

Catching Echoes is a stand-alone spin off of another series. I have not read any of the other books, so some of the references in this novel didn't mean anything to me, but I think it does still stand by itself. I really enjoyed the description of magic and reconstructions in this realm. The main character can use residual magic in a location to make visual reconstructions of past events, which are used to solve magic-related offenses. The vampire is a cool character and I
Gretchen Fatouros
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think this was recommended by a friend who enjoyed Debora Geary’s Modern Witch series with me.

Since Twilight (I haven’t read), it seems like too many vampires have shown up in books. I don’t enjoy reading about them because of it. I tend to cringe as soon as a vampire shows up. So, having a vampire was interesting, but did find it well written. Not sure if liked enough to keep reading the series.
Lj Ducharme
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed Ms. Doidge's "Dowser" and "Oracle" series, and this new "Reconstructionist" series is equally compelling and awesome.

We branch off into a new series of characters, and yet they are familiar. The world of Jade (Dowser) flows well into this story line. And lest we forget - we get more of Kett, the centuries-old vampire. What fun!!

Book 2 is too far away for my liking, but I'll wait.
Dana Wood
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Good story. The MC has a LOT she refers to as her past and darkness and lost love but it’s not really ever talked about. It drives me nuts when book revolve so tightly around the past and it’s barely acknowledged. I suppose it’s so you read the next book and the next and the next... but I want to know the character better and understand their point of view better. And the story revolves tightly around her past so needless to say I never really got to know her.
Gail
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
She's done it again.

Well Meghan has another successful series that's captured my imagination.
Wisteria is a complex character that is strong but seems to be slightly scared of the power she could be wielding.
I love Jasmine! The power she seems to have over computers is brill.
Kett, well he's just Kett. But I'm positive he may have a 'thing' for Wisteria. But we'll see.
Cant wait for more
Cheryl
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an interesting book! Wisteria and Kettil make an unusual pairing. You have a reconstructionist and a vampire. One of Kett’s remarks in the beginning gives you a clue something is up. For a mystery which is well executed to bits of humor and even hints of romance, such and interesting book! I give this book more than five stars and I love the whole involvement of Jade and Jasmine! I highly recommend this book and I look forward to the next book in the series!
Timea
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Malissa
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic series

That embraces more characters from the dowser series (one of my faves). Wisteria was such an intriguing character in her brief portion in the dowser series and Kettil is one of my favorites from that series as well. I love seeing them paired together and cannot wait to read more in this spin off series. Fascinating and brilliant.
Amanda
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reconstructionist

Meghan keeps expanding her world of characters much to my happiness. We met Whisteria in previous Dowser books but did not learn much about her. This one lets us into her mind and also teaches us more about the witches and how they work in Meghan' s books. I loved it and loved seeing a different view of Kett as well. So good.
Kerry Sharp
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clever and Pacey

An intricate plot written with craft and consistency.
First in a series but the story arc concludes with a hefty hook to purchase latter volumes, I may well do.
The pace is consistent and the characters dimensioned which keeps the pages turning.
A recommended read
Hayley Winter
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This whole series was absolutely outstanding. I love all the elements of different genres that have been pulled together.

These book are a great mash up of the fantasy and crime genres following characters with magical powers and vampires who solve crimes for a living.

I highly recommend this to anybody who loves a good crime novel or fantasy book because the detail and plot is exquisite!!!
Donne Knudsen
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really loved everything about the Dowser/Oracle series and now the new series Reconstructionist. I've always been intrigued by Kett and now this arrangement between he and Wisteria. I'm developing a vision of where this series is going and it will be interesting to see if it transpires that way. Part of me hopes I'm right and yet another part of me wants to be surprised. We'll see!!!
Cynthia L. Craig
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good

As usually, Ms. Doidge's books are very good, would highly recommend the Dowser and Oracle series. I had a hard time getting into these characters; their personalities are rather dry and vanilla (although, as Ms. Dodge would say, Vanilla from Madagascar can be exquisite). Nonetheless, I look forward to the next in the series. I enjoy the UF world she has built.
Becky
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Waiting to see what happens with these. I've started the second already b/c I like this fluffy series (the whole Cupcakes series, not just the reoncstructionist). I feel like this book was a bit of trying to get us more vested in these characters. I'm actually much more interested in what's new and different with Kett than what is going on with Wisteria (I just had to look up her name).
« previous 1 3 next »

• Resurrection (Immortal Soulless, #1)
  • What Fate Portends (The Frost Arcana #1)
  • The Alchemical Detective (Riga Hayworth #2)
  • Fairy World M.D., Boxed Set One (The Olive Kennedy Fantasy Romance Series Book 1)
  • Spells & Death (Paranormal MI5, #1)
  • Bless Her Dead Heart (The Righteous, #1)
  • Sketches (Colony Six, #1)
  • Summer Magic (Thorne Witches, #1)
  • Grave Intentions (Grave, #1)
  • Daughter of Havenglade (Daughter of Havenglade #1)
  • Newly Wed and Slightly Dead (A Touch of Magic Mysteries #1)
  • Daybreak
  • Flame Kissed (Phoenix Rising, #1)
  • The Thirteenth Gate (Dominion Mysteries, #2)
  • A Fistful of Evil (A Madison Fox, #1)
  • Stolen Mate (Wild Lake Origins #2)
  • Blackthorn Manor Haunting (Addison Lockhart, #3)
Meghan Ciana Doidge is an award-winning writer based out of Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada. She has a penchant for bloody love stories, superheroes, and the supernatural. She also has a thing for chocolate, potatoes, and cashmere.

Novels (in order of release): After the Virus, Spirit Binder, Time Walker, Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Dowser 1), Trinkets, Treasures, and

Reconstructionist (3 books)
  • Tangled Echoes (Reconstructionist #2)
  • Unleashing Echoes (Reconstructionist, #3)