Start by marking “Elizabeti's Doll” as Want to Read:
Elizabeti's Doll

Elizabeti's Doll

(Elizabeti #1)

Upon the arrival of her new baby brother, Elizabeti decides she needs a doll she can care for the way her mother cares for the new baby. After looking around her village, Elizabeti finds the perfect doll to love, and names her Eva.

When Mama changes the new baby's diaper, Elizabeti changes Eva. When Mama sings to the baby, Elizabeti sings to Eva. And one day whe
Published May 1st 2002 by Lee & Low Books

To ask other readers questions about Elizabeti's Doll, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
fire
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Barbara  Cavalcanti V
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeti`s Doll, an ALA Notable Children`s book of 1999, introduces Tanzania`s culture by showing the girl`s routine with her family and the place that her mother and siblings have in the household while taking care of her doll. She does not have a real doll; however, she uses her imagination and available materials to create one. This book stood out for me because of the children`s imagination power.
The illustration of this book helps early childhood students to understand the story. The teac
Mir
Love the patterns used in the illustrations that mimic African textiles. Elizabeti's inventiveness and devotion to her rock doll is sweet and inspiring. Definitely introduces girls to womanhood, which may not be for everyone. I would read it for the creativity and introduction to Tanzanian lifestyle though.
Claudia
May 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: africa
(CIP) When a young Tanzanian girl gets a new baby brother, she finds a rock, which she names Eva, and makes it her baby doll.

(Claudia) When Elizabeti’s brother Obedi is born, Elizabeti adopts a large rock as a doll, naming it Eva, and bathing it, burping it, and carrying it on her back the same way her mother bathes, burps, and carries Obedi. A gentle story with attractive realistic-style illustrations, and a bit of suspense to keep young readers engaged: Elizabeti leaves her rock do
Cana
Aug 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Mommy says: Reminds me of the boundless imagination of my own childhood, where a pile of dirt clumps can be a magic forest populated with witches and fairies ... or a rock can be a baby. Makes me regret how much stuff our kids have today -- and wonder how much of their own imgaination is stifled by the surplus. Very sweet book about a little girl with her own new baby brother and her own special way of practicing mothering. We all liked it.
Lorraine
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book also is a great contrast between how fortunate we are here in America - or maybe not! A little African girl doesn't have a doll so she adopts a rock as her doll and plays with it and takes care of it like her mother does her little baby brother. It is a sweet story with beautiful illustrations.
Sydney Kirk
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: exam-2
I loved the innocence shown in this book. It is beautifully portrayed through a little girl seeing her mother care for her baby, and wanting to do the same. This book is intended for ages 6-8, which is very appropriate. At this age, kids, especially young girls, typically love to play with dolls. This makes the book very relatable for young kids wanting to mimic their parents/guardians. "Elizabeti's Doll" has won the Ezra Jack Keats Award. The artwork contributes to the reader's overall understa ...more
Lisa
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: tg-tb-school
Given that I was reading this to my 6 yr old who has been adjusting to a new baby brother this past year the story line resonated with us. I liked that it was about desiring to become a mother, something I don't always see celebrated in literature. There were some funny parts since her doll is a rock-like when its diaper was still clean lol. Some of the names were hard for us to pronounce which was one of the only downsides but it makes sense for the culture/location it is writing about.
Jane
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have owned Elizabeti's Doll for years and have read it to many classes of small children. Elizabeti's mother has a new baby boy and Elizabeti finds a rock for her own baby (doll). I like the book because it shows that children can make a pretend toy and care about it out of things found in nature. Elizabeti takes good care of her baby by copying how her mother takes care of her brother and learns about life. The children often ask for this book so I know that they enjoy the story.
Darci Brown
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: multicultural
This is another good book about African culture as it incorporates African names and words such as kanga (a bright cloth) as well as daily life in a village. This would be a good book to give to a child who has a new baby sibling or who likes to play house, as Elizabeti takes care of a rock who she names Eva, treating it like her mother treats her new baby brother.
Tessa Duncan
When Elizabeti gets a new baby brother, she wants a baby for herself., She finds her own baby, a rocked named Eva, and does everything that her mother and brother do. Elizabeti finds that Eva is quieter and easier to deal with than Obedi. A story to read to new big siblings and to talk about new baby jealousy.
Cheryl
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This would be just another very nice unusual doll story (compare, for example, to Sophie's Squash) but the rural Tanzanian setting makes it extra special. There are lots of details that enrich the story and will help 'western' families appreciate this different culture.
Breanne
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
This is a sweet story of a young girl who doesn't have a doll, so she uses a rock. It was touching and it introduced different world problems and situations to my kids. My daughter was shocked that this little girl didn't have a real doll but then found a common ground in her love for her 'doll'. It taught compassion and inclusion.
Jeff
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book about a little girl who makes a rock into a doll and takes care of it like a real baby. Elizabeti is very sweet and caring and she even sings a lullaby to the rock. The story is heart warming.
Marcie
Love how this is just as timely as when it first came out. Lovely!
Breanna Olson
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Very cute!
Melissa
Cute read along on amazon prime
Kesha Herman
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The kids really enjoyed the stort and stayed intrested throughout the entire book.
Katy
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is decent, but I'm pretty against encouraging children to want to have children. It's weirdly indoctrinating. I will not use it.
Dalton Prather
Nov 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A little girl playing with a doll. Cliche.
Megan Cureton
Elizabeti had a new baby brother, and watched her mother care for her baby brother. She wanted to take care of her own baby, but didn't have a doll. So she went outside looking for one. She tried a stick, but it poked her. She came across a rock and it was just the right size. She named it Eva. She watched her mother bathe her baby brother and he splashed her, but when she bathed Eva, she behaved very nicely and only splashed a little. Her baby brother burped after feeding, but Eva was too polit ...more
Copeland
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wide-reading
This was a favorite book of mine growing up, and I have a well loved paperback copy bought at a scholastic book fair years and years ago.
Through brilliant, textured watercolors and simple explanatory sentences, the reader is brought into the world of Elizabeti and her beloved doll Eva. I especially appreciate the fact that the images are not overly bright and "kiddish." but are rather more subtle, with visual interest created primarily by the bright and patterned cloths/clothes, that appear thr
Jen
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was transported to that special place in childhood where wonderment is abundant and trying things in a grown up fashion is what you do.
Connie
Jun 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
bought this book for my little nieces, whom I watch during the week.

They love the book, mostly for personal reasons - I carry the baby, ELIZABETI carries her baby; our baby is Eva, THE DOLL is Eva - but I love the book just because it's a very sweet story.

It has simple enough wording, only a few sentences per two-page spread, that it can be read easily to a young child, only two years or so... and it has a deep enough story that it will be enjoyed by an older child as wel
Lenae Haley
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Elizabeti had a new baby brother and soon after wanted her own baby doll. She didn't have a baby doll so she settled with a big rock as her baby and named her Eva. Elizabeti did everything with Eva as her mom did it with her new baby brother. One day when Elizabeti had to do her chores she unwrapped Eva from her blanket and put her by the other rocks so she wouldn't be lonely while Elizabeti was gone. When she got back Eva was no where to be found. Her mother and sister tried to get other rocks ...more
Mrs. Blomquist
Elizabeti wants a baby to take care of just like her mother. She can't even find a doll to take care. Elizabeth decides to make a rock her baby. She spends time with the rock and tries to be the best mother she can be. When someone else comes upon the rock and decides to use it for something other than a baby, Elizabeti is beside herself. She does not know where her baby is and is devastated by the loss of it. The reader is a relieved as Elizabeti once the doll is found again.

This st
Marybeth
This picture book story, set in Tanzania, tells the story of Elizabeti who has just become a big sister and wants a baby of her own. She finds a rock that she cares for and loves as if it was a child of her own. When she goes to fetch water, she leaves her rock in a safe place, but when she returns "Eva" is gone. She is sad until she finds it about to be used in the cooking fire, and she rescues it. The story ends as Elizabeti sings a lullaby to her baby just as her own mother sings to her broth ...more
NSAndrew Liebergen
When her new baby brother arrives, Elizabeti decides she needs a doll that she can care for the way her mother cares for the new baby. After looking around the village, Elizabeti finds the perfect doll to love. She names her Eva. When Mama changes the new baby's diaper, Elizabeti changes Eva's. When Mama sings to the baby, Elizabeti sings to Eva. And one day when Eva turns up lost, Elizabeti realizes just how much she loves her special doll. For children adjusting to a new sibling, this story is ...more
Morgan
Sep 13, 2016 added it
Shelves: rdng-350
This book is about a little girl names Elizabeti who has a little brother. She seems to live in a small village somewhere. She watches her mother care for her brother and decides she would like a doll too. She tries a stick first, but it isn't cuddly. Then she finds a rock. The rock is a perfect doll because it doesn't fuss or burp. Elizabeti looses the doll though, and is very sad. She eventually finds it among the fire pit and her mother helps her get it out and clean it. The story ends with h ...more
Joy
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-350
Elizabeti observes how her mom is taking care of her baby so she wants a baby to take care of too. She finds a rock and cares for it like a baby doll. She feeds her, changes her diaper, and bathes her. Elizabeti shows her off to her friend but her friend is not interested. When she goes to do her chores she leaves her doll in a pile of rocks. When she comes back she isnt there. When she goes make dinner she finder her. She is able to fall asleep peacefully as she sings to her doll.

It is really
Emily
When I read this story, it took me back to when I was six years old and my little brother was born. Like Elizabeti, I loved the idea of being a little mommy, and I was constantly playing house with my dolls, but I was spoiled compared to her. I had dozens of baby dolls while she didn't have any. She had to substitute a rock for a doll.

By reading this book, children can see how other children play and live in some countries. It will open their eyes to new worlds different then their own.

• Angel Child, Dragon Child