Start by marking “Scared to Death (Detective Kay Hunter #1)” as Want to Read:
Scared to Death (Detective Kay Hunter #1)

Scared to Death

(Detective Kay Hunter #1)

** Please do not rate this book until you have read it. Use the “Want to Read” button to add it to your reading list **

A serial killer murdering for kicks.

A detective seeking revenge.

When the body of a snatched schoolgirl is found in an abandoned biosciences building, the case is first treated as a kidnapping gone wrong.

But Detective Kay Hunter isn’t convinced,
Published December 3rd 2016 by Saxon Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Scared to Death, please sign up.
Rachel Amphlett Hi Kate

Thanks for your note - Scared to Death is set in Kent, UK.

Kind regards,
Rachel Amphlett

Start your review of Scared to Death (Detective Kay Hunter #1)
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it

Scared to Death is the first book in the Kay Hunter series. It is a crime thriller. I really enjoyed this book. It was very disturbing and had me on the edge of my seat from the very beginning to the end. It should satisfy any lover of serial killer fiction. It is so gripping and fast paced. This was dark and gritty with twists I didn't see coming. Lots of surprises in this one.

Melanie is missing and her parents are distraught because she is nowhere to be found. When she is found the case is
Chelsea Humphrey
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Find more reviews on my blog: https://thesuspenseisthrillingme.com

Date Read: 12/09/16
Pub Date: 12/06/16

4 STARS

But Detective Kay Hunter isn’t convinced, especially when a man is found dead with the ransom money still in his possession.

When a second schoolgirl is taken, Kay’s worst fears are realised.

With her career in jeopardy and desperate to conceal a
Veronica ⭐️
Scared to Death is the first book in the Detective Kay Hunter series. The story pulled me in from the very beginning. The suspense is gripping and each scene is vividly described making the events spine-chillingly real.

DS Kay Hunter is dedicated. She doesn’t dwell on the problems in her life and the backstory tells us she has plenty of personal problems she could be dwelling on.
It’s a nice change to have a detective that’s not a divorced alcoholic. The reader is not heaped with Hunter’s personal
 Li'l Owl
'The girl had knocked her head on something, and he didn't know what. There was blood on the side of her face, and while she was still unconscious, he checked and found a cut under her hair. Satisfied that it wasn't life threatening, he relaxed. He wanted her on his terms.
He reached into the bag and pulled out the contents, lining them up along the plastic covering of a narrow brick shelf that ran along the wall next to him.
Lipstick, mobile phone, purse - no notes, just change - a small box of
Brenda
The terror that Yvonne and Tony were feeling as they raced to save their daughter was immense – when Detective Kay Hunter arrived on the scene she was horrified at what the police had found. And so began a case as brutal as any the detectives had encountered in a long time. The kidnapping of seventeen year old Melanie was shocking; the police initially thought the kidnapper had made a mistake. But Kay wasn’t convinced; the anomalies in the case struck her and her team and they were determined to ...more
Phrynne
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-books
What a great start to a new series. Scared to Death grabbed me from the very first page and I stayed up very late to finish it.

I really enjoyed the character of Kay Hunter. She was realistic, intelligent, organised and in a satisfactory and normal relationship. She was not an alcoholic, a mother who was not coping with family/work arrangements or an idiot who keeps putting herself in dangerous positions. In other words in this genre she is a breath of fresh air.

The story is dark and quite brutal
Jean
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Scared to death.” Most of us have heard the phrase, haven’t we? Perhaps we’ve even said it. But what if it actually happened? Melanie Richards is not an unusual teenage girl. Her mother is a successful businesswoman; her father is a man who is unable to control his mouth, and it has cost him a job or two. His daughter, unfortunately, has learned by example. When her mom goes away on a business trip and dad tags along on holiday, Melanie stays home alone. This was the opportunity her stalker was ...more
Angela Marsons
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been dying to read a book by this author for a while now after seeing many positive reviews. I decided to wade in with the first in a new crime series featuring Kay Hunter and I was not disappointed. If I have a checklist of things I enjoy in a book then Rachel Amphlett managed to tap into it. Scared to Death started with a bang and inserted me into the story from the first page. The fast pace of the story kept me glued to the story of Melanie's kidnapping. I am a fan of short chapters and ...more
BookwormDH
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SYNOPSIS

A serial killer murdering for kicks. A detective seeking revenge.

When a second schoolgirl is taken, Kay’s worst fears are realised.

With her career in jeopardy and desperate to conceal a disturbing secret, Kay’s hunt for the
Rob
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Number 1 in the Kay Hunter series.

My first Rachel Amphlett book White Gold left me relatively unimpressed but this is a real set up from that.
This is a top notch police procedural thriller.
The main protagonist ‘Detective Sergeant Kay Hunter’ is a breath of fresh air. Inasmuch as she is basically a normal person in a loving marriage who happens to be good at what she does which is catching baddies. That’s not to say that her life is without problems, she has her fair share, like most of us, of
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
There is no messing around with Scared to Death by Rachel Amphlett. Despite being the first in a new series, it immediately kicks off at a frantic pace. This novel is not for the faint hearted, it is a gutsy, fast and dark book that is packed full with unsuspecting twists. Scared to Death is a must read for the crime fiction fan or those who appreciate a solid mystery-thriller.

The action begins from the opening page in Scared to Death. The Richards, parents of kidnapped daughter Melanie, are on
Jenny
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery
Scared to Death is book one in the Detective Kay Hunter series by Rachel Amphlett. Detective Sergeant Kay Hunter thought her career in law enforcement was over when Professional Standards investigated her. However, this was not the case her supervisor Detective Inspector Devon assigned her to the murder investigation of a young girl. The readers of Scared to Death will continue to follow the twist and turns in the investigation into the killing of Melanie by Detective Kay Hunter.

Scared to Death
Amy
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
All of my reviews can be found on www.novelgossip.com

Oohhh what a fantastic beginning to a new series! I love nothing more than getting caught up in a new series and I’m so excited about this one featuring detective Kay Hunter. She’s intelligent, capable and tough, but she has enough skeletons in her closet to keep things interesting. She also has a keen intuition which makes her a sharp and formidable detective.

The book starts out with a bang, a couple is racing against the clock to try and
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is the first novel I have read by this author and will certainly be reading more after reading this one!

Scared To Death is the first book in a brand new crime series introducing us to Detective Kay Hunter.

I have to say this was without a doubt one of those novels that you could easily devour in one sitting. As soon as I started it I knew I was in for a great reading experience, sadly real life got in the way and I ended up having to reluctantly read it over a few days instead. Believe me
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
My View:

Once you have been introduced to Detective Kay Hunter you will be firm friends. She is conscientious, driven, intelligent and hardworking and the author has generously provided a home life and a relationship that is strong and credible. Kay Hunter may have some personal and work issues that she is dealing with but these add to her credibility and make her a very well developed and realistic character. There is none of the desolate, drug addled or alcoholic traits that are so prevalent in
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Scared to Death is the first in a new series by Rachel Amphlett. I had not read anything by Rachel Amphlett before I read this book, but as a big time crime fan was I intrigued by the premise and the cover of the book. So, what makes this so special that you should pick it over other crime books?

Personally, I just love when I instantly like the main character and Kay Hunter was just the kind of tough female cop that I like to read about. And, it was quite nice that she seems to be quite stable,
Lucy
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's a bit different from all the mystery novels I've read prior to this. Felt like it's a bit more...realistic I would say. I really enjoyed it, and would certainly continue with the next book on the series in the future.
Jen
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Returning home from holiday, Tony and Yvonne Richards receive a terrifying phone call. Their daughter Melanie has been taken, the kidnappers only willing to reveal her whereabouts on the payment of a ransom. Keeping the kidnapping from the police, their only focus is to bring their daughter back safe and sound.

When their search turns to tragedy, Detective Sergeant Kay Hunter and Detective Constable Ian Barnes are called to the scene. Fighting back from a difficult turn in her career, Hunter is
Karen
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SCARED TO DEATH is the first in a new series from author Rachel Amphlett. It's a switch from the earlier espionage styled Dan Taylor novels, to a police procedural featuring Detective Kay Hunter.

From the opening scenes with parents Yvonne and Tony racing to provide the ransom money and recover their daughter Melanie, through to the police investigation that follows, there's plenty of intrigue and pace built into SCARED TO DEATH. It is a novel structured in form of police procedural precisely,
The Book Review Café
Oh my god I absolutely loved Scared To Death from the first chapter I just knew it was going to be a crime thriller I would devour in a couple of sittings, and I was right. Scared To Death by Rachel Amphlett is the first book in a new series featuring Detective Kay Hunter, and the authors started the series with an humongous bang. A young girl is kidnapped and held hostage, but things take a sinister and deadly turn when the young girl is found dead, this is followed shortly by the disappearance ...more
Bookread2day
I would like to thank the author for sending me a copy.
Eva
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced crime fiction that had me hooked from the first chapter. A great start to a new series. I can't wait to learn more about Kay when she tackles her next case.
Mary
Detective Kay Hunter is horrified when she is called to a murder scene and realises that a kidnapped teenager has actually been found by her parents. Then the father collapses with a heart attack and Kay attempts to resuscitate him. And as if that isn't enough, police realise that the girl, Melanie, has been set up so that she will eventually slip and fall and then strangle to death - with the criminal watching by remote camera.

Kay and the team are working hard to find the killer - or is it
Ann Girdharry
This book gets off to a fantastic start. It delivers a double whammy to the reader, leaving you reeling from the shock and feeling terrible about what has just happened to the characters.
Great stuff.
Probably I was expecting too much after this, because I found myself turning the pages very quickly but the tension gradually leaked out of the story. In the end, I was reading just to find out what happened (though the plot became clear halfway through).
If only that same punch from the beginning
Liz Barnsley
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scared to Death is a fast paced intriguing crime thriller that I read in one huge gulp of a sitting, addictive and occasionally quite hard hitting this is the start of a new series from Rachel Amphlett and one that I will be following along with.

Things I really liked: Or main protagonist Kay Hunter. A genuinely strong female character with, yes, some flaws and a semi mysterious backstory, but realistically so which made her highly believable and sucked you into the ongoing story. The opening
Janel
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars - If I was giving out book awards today, this book would receive two – firstly for ‘best opening chapter’ and secondly for ‘best last line.’ I can’t share the last line with you, you’ll have to read the book to see why that one made me laugh. But I can talk about the opening paragraph, it’s so thrilling, you can really feel the character’s urgency and you can do nothing but read on, so make sure you’ve got a clear schedule when you start this one!

This is the first book in a new crime
Bill Kupersmith
May 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Noelle
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My thanks to the author– Rachel Amphlett, for an ARC of this book which I have chosen to read/review and give honest feedback on.

Set in Kent, the reader is taken on a whirlwind of a journey involving kidnap, the past, bullying, power & control, various levels of abuse and misplaced loyalties. What a ride!

OMFG, #bookjunkies! To say I consumed this book like a chocolate-starved little girl who stumbles across a big bar of cadbury’s would be an understatement! This book sparked all my synapses
Shannon (Mrsreadsbooks)
Full review to come next week along with the blog tour!
Kerry
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, I recently joined in with Rachel Amphlett's blog tour for Book 3 in this series, so I thought it was about time I bumped Book 1 to the top of my list and I am so glad I did! Why have I never read a book by Rachel Amphlett before now??
Scared to Death is a brilliant start to a new series. I warmed to Detective Kay Hunter immediately. There's a back story there that hasn't been fully explained as yet, which I find very intriguing. She seems to be up against her fair share of negativity at
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Deep Fear (DI Kelly Porter, #2)
  • Dead End (DI Kelly Porter, #3)
  • Bitter Edge (DI Kelly Porter, #4)
  • Dead Memories (D.I. Kim Stone, #10)
  • Break the Silence (Detectives Kane and Alton, #7)
  • Bold Lies (DI Kelly Porter, #5)
  • Dark Game (DI Kelly Porter, #1)
  • The Sleepover (Detective Natalie Ward #4)
  • Fatal Promise (D.I. Kim Stone, #9)
  • The Chosen Ones (DI Robyn Carter, #5)
  • The Dare (Detective Natalie Ward #3)
  • Child's Play (DI Kim Stone, #11)
  • Blood Rites (DI Kelly Porter, #6)
  • Final Betrayal (Detective Lottie Parker, #6)
  • Dying Truth (D.I. Kim Stone, #8)
  • Last Lullaby (Detective Natalie Ward, #2)
  • First Blood (D.I. Kim Stone, #12)
  • The Dead Can't Speak (DI Sara Ramsey, #3)
USA Today bestseller Rachel Amphlett writes crime fiction and spy novels, including the Kay Hunter British detective series, the Dan Taylor espionage novels, the English Spy Mysteries featuring Eva Delacourt, and a number of standalone crime thrillers.

Rachel is a member of International Thriller Writers and the Crime Writers Association.

Find out more about Rachel Amphlett at www.rachelamphlett.com

Detective Kay Hunter (8 books)
  • Will to Live (Detective Kay Hunter #2)
  • One to Watch (Detective Kay Hunter #3)
  • Hell to Pay (Detective Kay Hunter, #4)
  • Call to Arms (Detective Kay Hunter #5)
  • Gone to Ground (Detective Kay Hunter #6)
  • Bridge to Burn (Detective Kay Hunter #7)
  • Cradle to Grave (Detective Kay Hunter, #8)