Start by marking “Crazy Like a Fox: A Simile Story” as Want to Read:
Crazy Like a Fox: A Simile Story

Crazy Like a Fox: A Simile Story

Similes set off an exciting chase scene in an adventure in language arts. Rufus the fox is up to something. He runs across the meadow as fast as lightning, sneaks up to Babette like a thief in the night, and roars like a lion. Babette, mad as a hornet, chases Rufus all over town. But is Rufus being chased or is he actually leading Babette to a surprise destination? Rufus s ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Crazy Like a Fox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crazy Like a Fox

Ogechukwu
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good way to teach kids what simile means and how to use it. Illustrations are fun also
Elsa Dean
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: language-arts
I loved this book! Such a great book for teaching kids about similes. You pull so many different extension activities from this book. It has a cute storyline that is just basically being told through similes. Love it!
Amelia Turvey
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Leedy, L. (2008). Crazy like a fox: A simile story. New York, NY: Holiday House.

This book is about Rufus the fox. It tells the story in similes as he runs all over town. Babette chase Rufus and he takes her to her surprise party.

The illustrator, Loreen Leedy, used the media watercolor for the illustrations.

I thought this book was adorable. It also introduces the concept of a simile. I think it's important to include these concepts in young childhood education. This book also was a nominated for
smgK8
This is a fine book for simile introduction. The illustrations are cute and the main story is cute. The reason for the 2 stars is that it was a bit chaotic. The main story is an adorable version of a simile story and could easily be translated to a great lesson where kids can write their own.
Loreen Leedy (who I normally love) should've stopped there. The problem was on each page there were 2-5 other similes that related to the picture, but not the main story. If you read them you lose track of
Congetta
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it
My son liked this book a lot. He thought it was clever.
Lindsey Rick
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Used for a simile lesson
Jennifer Steele
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Perfect book when you are talking or teaching about similes. I like how each character on each page gives another simile addition.
Katie Sproles
Such a fun way to teach kids about using similes. I think halfway through the book kids could catch on and eventually start shouting out what word comes next!
Mary
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy, purchased-rpk
Humorous story employing dozens of similes. Good for teaching this figure of speech, but a legitimate story that can also stand on its own. Recommended for 1st-3rd grades.
Chelsea
Crazy Like a Fox: A Simile Story follows Rufus the fox and Babette the sheep on their adventure through forests, across rivers, and into dark caves. All through their trip of Rufus running from Babette, observers describe what they see by using similes. With every turn of the page Babetter gets closer to catching Rufus and the similes continue. Will Babette ever catch Rufus? Why is he running away from her? Find out what happens and learn new examples of similes on every page!
This book is a crea
April
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
1. Rating: 4
2. A book review from School Library Journal says, "Rufus, a spunky fox in suspenders, rudely startles his friend Babette, a lamb, by roaring "like…a lion." She gets "mad…as a hornet" and chases him, and he eventually leads her to her surprise birthday party. Leedy relates this narrative entirely through similes. Her illustrations emphasize the comparisons as each protagonist is amusingly transformed from one object into another. Children may participate by guessing the upcoming chan
Lindsey
There isn't much of a plot in this book. So it's not really a good book to pick up if you are looking for a strong story. In spite of that, I loved it anyway because of the great illustrations and common expressions that also happen to be similes. There are some invented similes (or atleast I'm not familiar with them) like "He runs like a deer" or "quick as a rocket," but most of the similes in this book are popular ones. My personal favorites were
"mean as a snake"
"quiet as a mouse"
"cool as a c
Amy
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
What is a simile? A simile is a figure of speech where two things are used to compare different things. This book about Rufus the Fox is written using all similes. Rufus is acting silly as a goose in this book. He starts off sleeping like a log then wakes felling fresh as a daisy! Off he goes sneaking up on Babette the sheep. He gives a lion’s RROARRRR!!! Babette is so scared she shakes like a leaf. Babette chases Rufus through the river that’s cold as ice and into a cave as dark as night. Sudde ...more
Alice
Nov 15, 2013 rated it liked it
3 1/2 for me. Not quite a 4 for me even though I love Loreen Leedy and I love the illustrations in this book It was not a smooth read.

Here is why I couldn't give it a 4...The similes are great, but you see "In the quiet forest, Rufus is sleeping...." and to complete the simile you have to turn the page...which would normally be fine, but in tiny print on the same page as "In the quiet...." It has "He's out like a light" "He's as still as a stone" and He's as snug as a bug in a rug" Which are gre
Maddie Shell
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd-614
Crazy Like a Fox is a great book to use to teach kids about similes. It is a cute and funny book that has great comparisons. In my experience, I have seen kids write similes that truly make no sense. They don't really understand how to write a meaningful comparison. I think this book would be a great way to teach them how to do that! The book is a bit primary, but if you focus on the simile aspect, it could be used in the intermediate grades. The illustrations are absolutely beautiful. They are ...more
Elizabeth Littleton
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: language-arts
Crazy Like a Fox uses Rufus the fox to demonstrate the use of similes by comparing him and his activities to other things. The illustrations show the literal phrasing of the simile but do not explain what it means. In a classroom this book would be useful to use for discussing the use of similes in stories. I would have a list of similes for students to choose from and draw a picture to illustrate it and describe what it means. I would then combine their pages to create a class book or small boo ...more
Gala
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The word simile took me back to my childhood days of learning how to use and identify these kind of sentences. The teacher kept us on this topic for so long trying to get us to "get it". I like this book because it makes it simple to understand. I could teach simile from this book. I am not sure of the age because young children may not understand because of the lack of life experiences. I would guess third grade and up. To answer the as or like the children can use their five senses to figure i ...more
Jenny Young

fiction

Diversity:
Poetry; friendship

Illustrations:
The illustrations are created with mixed media.

Personal response:
The entire book is told in similes. The story is told in similes and each page includes additional similes pertaining to the action on the page. The story is cute and does a great job presenting a variety of similes. The illustrations are cute as well.

Curricular or programming connections:
This book would be great for languages arts lesson on similes.
Heather Armbruster
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For my concept book, I read Crazy like a Fox: A Simile Story by Loreen Leedy. This book tells what a simile is and tells a story using similes on every page. This book is colorful and descriptive with its usage of similes. This book would make a great introduction to a descriptive writing activity in which students write their own short stories using similes. There is no concerning content in this book. This book would be ideal for 2nd and 3rd graders.
Katherine
Sep 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching-similes
"Crazy Like a Fox" by Loreen Leedy was an incredible book for learning similes for children. It had all the basic similes that people say everyday that children can learn and use correctly in their lives. It was not just a story about similes it also had a good plot to it as well and was very fun and enjoyable. This is a great book to ask children "What do you think that means?" and have them guess.
Very fun!

Heather Russon
May 27, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a very unique picture book. The artwork is done in a very blocky style. It is a story completely told with similes. It tells of a fox and how the fox annoys his friend and how it was to get the fox's friend to a party. It would be a good story to introduce similes but overall I feel it was very choppy. If I were to use it I would afterwords have my students make a story using just similes.
Kerri Harshaw
This is a wonderful book with great illustrations to go along with the text. The book begins with what a simile is, and then runs away with different animals describing a fox with similes as he goes though his day. The text offers many different similes for each actions the fox is doing. A great way to activate students to write their own simile story. The silliness of the text will sure get students laughing and brains churning with similes of their own!
Deanna
This is a very good book for simile awareness for children.
I gave it 3 out of 5 stars because I think it is a little too packed with similes. The storyline used similes very well, but each page has 2-3 additional similes.
Also, the end of the story is a little bit confusing.
I would read this book to a class, bu I would not read the additional side similes. Otherwise, it's a smart book with very well correlating text to illustrations.
Katelynn Carroll
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 20-language-arts
This book was really cute and can help a lot in the classroom! I think that it could be fun to have my future students come up with their own similes based of of an animal that we choose in class and then make our own story based of the similes that the students create. We could read this book before we start our own simile project as well. I really like this book not only because it was cute but it gave me a lot of different teaching ideas.
Sandybear76
Read this one to second graders today. They were not sure what a simile was but they enjoyed the story. I read the main story first then went back and read the tiny comments. They got a laugh out of some of the similes and were familiar with some of the similes. They said their teacher had just said they sounded like a herd of elephants as they came up the stairs before library time.
Jackie
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rufus the fox tells a story entirely in similes to catch his friend in a birthday surprise. Anticipation and prediction will accompany the turning of each page, as Crazy Like a Fox: A Simile Story would be a perfect book for read-aloud and storytime.

Includes a definition of simile and suggestions for writing a simile story.
Kelli Bratten
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: simile, ece-3601
Students will like this book for the silly animal characters and the fun way the words are written on the page. It also gives them a chance to think about what the author might write next since the writing stops before the page is turned! They can also write their own fun similes after reading this book!
Sharon
Mar 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Crazy similies for a crazy fox. Essentially, this book is especially helpful in prompting students to make predictions and to learn about the different characteristics of various types of animals. The visual imagery of the animals and the large texts of the animal the reader predicts from the previous page also makes this a kid-friendly book and ideal for read-alouds.
Janet
Apr 26, 2016 added it
Shelves: ece-bookshelf
Rufus the fox starts a game of chase with Babette the sheep as similes run across one page to the next.

Age: 4+

Skill: Vocabulary (This story uses similes through the plot. Through discussion children can learn how to describe various words, such as hornet and haystack, in order to gain an understanding of similes.)
Asha Smith
Feb 08, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a great introduction to Similies to class. It gives examples of different similies in far fetched situations. In the front it does tell you what a similie is described as. In the back it also has an activity to that you can play with your students. I enjoyed this book because it gave several examples of what a similie is. It was short and quick with great illustrations.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Punctuation Celebration
  • Dear Deer: A Book of Homophones
  • How Much Can a Bare Bear Bear?: What Are Homonyms and Homophones?
  • Merry-Go-Round: A Book About Nouns
  • Silent Letters Loud and Clear
  • My Dog Is As Smelly As Dirty Socks: And Other Funny Family Portraits
  • Max's Words
  • Previously
  • There Was a Coyote Who Swallowed a Flea
  • Can I Keep Him?
  • If You Hopped Like A Frog
  • Twenty-Odd Ducks: Why, Every Punctuation Mark Counts!
  • Moo Who?
  • Henry Aaron's Dream
Loreen Leedy is the author and illustrator of over 40 picture books with math, science, language arts, and other curriculum content. Her books showcase information in a kid-friendly format, often with characters and entertaining stories.

Honors and awards for her books include: ALA Notable Book, Science Books and Films finalist, Reading Rainbow feature book, Chicago Library Best of the Best, many S