Start by marking “Clean Room, Vol. 3: Waiting for the Stars to Fall” as Want to Read:
Clean Room, Vol. 3: Waiting for the Stars to Fall

Clean Room, Vol. 3: Waiting for the Stars to Fall

(Clean Room #13-18)

In this new installment of Gail Simone's Clean Room, go back to the beginning to learn how Astrid was first affected after her hospitalization...through the eyes of one who cannot see what she sees: her would-be assassin and brother, Peter Mueller.
Then, a young woman devastated by the violent loss of her husband finds comfort in Astrid Mueller's teachings, only to face the
Published July 18th 2017 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Clean Room, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clean Room, Vol. 3

Start your review of Clean Room, Vol. 3: Waiting for the Stars to Fall
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Chloe: Why do you hate us so bad? You killed that guard for no reason at all. You gained nothing by it. We were already afraid of you.
Derica: Why? You ask me why? Because the cow goes moo, Chloe. It's because the cow goes moo

4.5 stars.

The end of what has become one of my all time favorite series!

This may be my favorite of Gail Simone's works and I'm so sad to see it go! I have hopes that someday AMC or HBO will snatch a talented director and bring this work to the silver screen! I would love to
Chad
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quentin Winter's colors made this a smooth transition to Walter Geovani on art chores. The fill-in issue felt out of place in the middle of the overall story. It tells the story of a Pawn that we barely see outside of this one issue. Felt somewhat rushed as the entities make their move. Considering the slow build we've had up to this point, I expected this to be much more drawn out. Supposedly, Clean Room is coming back for a Season 2, but this felt like a closure to the series to me.
Clarissa
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay, I love this series.

As if the thought of children don't scare me enough, here's creepy, demonic, Derica, seriously making me reconsider ever wanting to have one. Hey, I like some kids, okay! These entities have a reason for causing chaos and destruction. "Because the cow goes 'moo,' Chloe." Yes, it's because they're evil and bored, and I'm fine with that. Did you need a deep psychological reason?

Gail Simone managed to make Astrid one of my favorite characters and I really liked seeing her
Stewart Tame
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This is it, the final volume. All the threads are tied off nicely, and it ends pretty well, I guess. The pacing seems off though. Things seem a little rushed, and fall into place a little too neatly. I find myself wondering if there was some editorial pressure on Simone to end the series earlier than she had originally planned? It just seemed as though some characters--Doctor Hagen, for instance--could have been developed better, rather than being the one-note ciphers that they are.

As things
Paul E. Morph
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. It was a great little conspiracy theory/psychological-body-horror/demonic fantasy/alien invasion story, with nice artwork throughout. It's a shame the regular artist jumped ship a few issues before the end to work on Warren Ellis' The Wild Storm but the fill-in guy did a really good job of keeping the look of the book consistent.

It's nice that this book told a finite story with a definite beginning, middle and end but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't going to miss
Misty
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I feel like this series could have been stretched out over another volume or two and it would have benefited from it, and I can certainly see why this dark, gross, gory story would not be to everyone's tastes. There are questions left unanswered and threads I'd like to see tied up, and I hate when a series with a distinctive style that I love has an artist change (dammit), but all of that said: I just really like this. I like the dark gross gory messy violent weird unsettling horrific story that ...more
Chris Lemmerman
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I worry about Gail Simone. I really do.

These six issues bring the Clean Room story to a close (for now?) as the Entities make their final move, and Astrid has to call in all the help she can get to save the world from these super-creepy psychos. All the chickens that Simone has laid out across the series come home to roost, and we get a semi-explanation as to why these creatures are the way they are. The ending wraps things up a little too quickly, but I think that's probably because of a lack
Agnė
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 out of 5

This final (for now?) installment in the Clean Room series is still weird, disturbing, captivating, and masterfully illustrated.

However, the ending is too rushed and somewhat anticlimactic (maybe too easy?), and I wish there was more of the secondary character development/background.
Alan
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
So, in my opinion, we come to the end of the series that brings back memories of the horror stories the Vertigo imprint made its name with back when it first started, but this is a series that rightfully can stand on its own and add to that legacy. The four stars is for the entire series, as this volume's story feels a little underdeveloped.

No, I would not have thought Gail Simone of being capable of this type of work at the start of the series. A quality, writer, one with an eye for character
Terence
2.5 compared to the previous volumes. It seemed rushed and some of the characters acted out of character (or seemed to, there was no real set up for what they did).
Eunice
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
A rushed finale to an otherwise great series. The other volumes are much better in my opinion. Did Clean Room get abruptly cancelled? Because that's what it feels like happened here.
T. Ellis
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Wow: I was pulled into this series *fast*. Clean Room is all about the Lost approach to storytelling, of flooding its audience with mysteries and hints and puzzles, and I adored that until the end.

This last volume, though -- evidently Clean Room was canceled well before it should have been. Volumes 1 and 2 were a slowburn of mystery and horror. Volume 3 is a goshdanged avalanche of answers and introduced-and-then-dropped concepts.

(Seriously: What was up with the dumb serial killer character? So
Colleen
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rats, of course something this great gets cancelled. Or...maybe not? Simone did say she has ideas for a "Season Two" and I can't imagine something like this wouldn't get revived because 18 issues feels very very short for everything happens. There could easily have been another 20 issues taking a slower look at some and more backstories of the people involved (and which I assume will be rectified when this gets going again).

But...that being said, the events do get wrapped up rather neatly (with
Cale
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume closes out the first arc of Clean Room, and it goes out with a bang. Astrid is dealing with the ramifications of her niece, and pulling Chloe back in. The entities are making their move, and everything hits the fan. Aside from an issue-long side story that explores what Astrid's followers experience (in a brutal fashion), this volume is just build up into a massive climax where I literally was not confident in the victory of the 'good guys.' And the knife twist at the end is a ...more
Shannon Appelcline
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-indy
Clean Room has really found itself in this third volume. The mysteries are starting to become clear, the characters are crystallizing. It's all starting to make sense. And that gives Simone the ability to step off the main path a bit. So we get a story about an obsessive serial killer and we get a wonderful one-off issue about how Astrid has touched other lives.

It's a terrific middle volume.

Oh, hey. Suddenly it's an end volume. The storyline does feel like it moves toward that ending
Read Between The Vines
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m grateful that all my questions were actually answered at the end of this and wasn’t left feeling dissatisfied. Saying that, I worked out the direction of the plot, (still unsure whether the authors wanted people to be able to or not??) so this bumped it down a star, because once I figured that out the rest all connected in my head before the actual book could make the reveals

I really enjoyed this though all the same, not as gruesome or creepy as the previous two, but I’m happy to have read
Travis Duke
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
The end of clean room (I think) and it is a good time to end it. Gail Simone created a good sci-fi/horror story but for me it was starting to become cumbersome. My major problem was the addition of new characters and some of the relationships going wonky, Chloe and Astrid had some weird moments. Overall the story ended fine but it did feel slightly rushed as well. The art remains a strong point in the series really bring to life the horrors of the series. Like I said I am glad it ended now ...more
Alistair
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sequential-art
The End is Nigh
actually, the end has come and gone, until next time?
The 3rd and final installment of an interesting horror tale.
The story and characters were quite good, my doubts on the series are mainly the use of sex to make it seem "edgy" and the "art" which is "conventional" but sometimes lacking something?
Tomas
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well I have not expected to be over so quickly but damn that was a good read. Simone turn crazy and disgusting to 12 in this volume but it all fit together nicely. Everything was just amazing story/characters/art. I read multiple book by Simone but this one really won me over.
J
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
A perfect, if somewhat tidy, conclusion to the whole wild ride. Can't wait to see what else Gail Simone cooks up.
Stef
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m still trying to wrap my head around all this, but I can say with confidence I like this series. I’m curious where it will go next.
Piper
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it
The ending felt rushed and a little underwhelming.
Overall my least favorite volume.
DeAnna Knippling
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Ach, this read like a series that was cancelled abruptly and the team desperately wanted to wrap up things with what time they had. I checked. This is the case. They're saying that Vol. 3 wraps up the end of "season one" and that there's a "season two" -- but I'll believe that when I see issue 19.

That being said, I still enjoyed this quite a bit.
Sierra Dean
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Read for TLP.

The series really lost me in this volume. Rushed ending, characters acting out of the norm, weird twist with a serial killer, different art.
Mjhancock
Thanks to the local library, I was able to read all three volumes in one sitting, so I'll review them all in one go. The high concept here is, basically, what if Scientology was marshalling forces to defeat Cthulhu monsters bent on invading the earth? (Ok, Simone disavows the Scientology connection, but from what we see of the initiation process, it's hard to come to other conclusions) The actual plot begins with journalist Chloe Pierce vowing to investigate and bring down self-help guru Astrid ...more
TJ
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comix
love that this brilliant series wrapped up cleanly, but I also want a spin off. Horror comics don't get better than this.
47Time
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-thriller
Peter: I need cigarettes.
Astrid: No, you don't. No one does.
I got a kick out of that one.

Peter Mueller, Astrid's brother, has a baby named Derica. She is inhabited by a demon queen who has triggered the campaign against Earth and Astrid is the only one who can stop it. Sadly, the ending could have been better, but the buildup and superb artwork were worth it.

Astrid recruits a reluctant Chloe as one of her Rooks. She is to interview Artus Greenhand, a nut who calls himself Astrid's number one fan
Ryan Werner
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This trade really benefitted from the (perhaps too-fast) acceleration in the last couple of issues. It seems like all at once we were really moving—finding out Astrid’s true intentions with her mission, seeing Chloe accept a role in the grand mechanism of the plan, watching as a few Chekhov’s gun promises from earlier are made good on.

Not that this first big arc of Clean Room ever suffered from dragging on or going too far down avenues that didn’t matter, but the quick movements and high action
Jeff
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Admittedly a lot of time has gone by since I read Vol. 2. So as I was reading Vol. 3 I wasn't even pretending to be up to speed (or even remember much) of what the overall story is/was about. I do remember reading the synopsis for Vol. 1, being intrigued about reading a story about a cult and then being quite surprised at the story that unfolded. It went in directions I wasn't expecting and that I wasn't entirely sure I wanted.

So the trick (for me) is not to review the story I wanted or
Kumar Kutliev
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
It finally comes; the apocalypse. The demon messiah is born, and it's up to the hero's corporation to figure out how to get rid of her before she opens all the portals.

I loved Vol. 2, but Vol. 3 ended up quite messy. There is a scene in which Astrid is executing some punishment on employees, only to turn back in the next page and hug them and tell them she's not going to punish them, all with no reason or foreshadowing at all. There's a point in which Chloe finally kisses the lesbian, but
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Die, Vol. 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker
  • Black Hammer, Vol. 2: The Event
  • Crowded, Vol. 1
  • Injection, Vol. 3
Gail Simone is a comic book writer well-known for her work on Birds of Prey (DC), Wonder Woman (DC), and Deadpool (Marvel), among others, and has also written humorous and critical commentary on comics and the comics industry such as the original "Women in Refrigerators" website and a regular column called "You'll All Be Sorry".

Clean Room (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Clean Room #1