Start by marking “A Trace of Death (Keri Locke Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
A Trace of Death (Keri Locke Mystery #1)

A Trace of Death

(Keri Locke Mystery #1)

“A dynamic story line that grips from the first chapter and doesn't let go.”
--Midwest Book Review, Diane Donovan (regarding Once Gone)

From #1 bestselling mystery author Blake Pierce comes a new masterpiece of psychological suspense.

Keri Locke, Missing Persons Detective in the Homicide division of the LAPD, remains haunted by the abduction of her own daughter, years befo
Published December 1st 2016 (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about A Trace of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Trace of Death

Lorraine Southern
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
A bit silly. A bit far fetched in places. Author also needs a better proof reader and editor. But, overall, it was entertaining enough for me to probably read the follow up. At some point 😉
Ari
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Here's the thing - Keri Locke is a bad cop. she should be fired and possibly prosecuted herself for the multiple times she assults "suspects" including a minor. She also goes on duty after she'd been drinking, somehow manages not to be killed by going hand to hand with men who in real life would likely squish her, and generally stumbles around the book until she comes across the bad guys. I was actually hoping she'd be fired in the end.
☙ percy ❧
it was okay, but ultimately mediocre and typical. it was free though, so that's something.
Amber
Mar 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017
You too can write a book equally as awful as this with the following simple formula. All the conceivable
police detective stereotypes x the most obnoxiously narcissistic main character + a plot line any halfway intelligent person could figure out a mile away= hours of my life I'll never get back. Now to memorize the author of this book so I'll never fall into that trap again.
Lady Delacour
Non-stop action from start to finish.
Elaine Wise kept the fast pace going
with her dramatic performance.
Perfect no... but I was entertained
~Mindy Lynn~
AMAZON KINDLE FREEBIE 6/27/17
Ashy Khaira
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Ted Tayler
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Fast-paced thriller"

Another first-class thriller from Blake Pierce, with a good balance of tension, excitement, characterisation and humour. I read it through from start to finish; I couldn't see any point postponing the final denouement. Keri Locke is another strong female cop to add to my 'must read' list.
Christelle
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
I really enjoyed this first episode of the Keri Locke series, which actually quite surprised me. I thought it would be too dark, too depressing but as for all Blake Pierce's books I read, I was hooked from the beginning.
Nicole
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This book, I could not figure out who the abductor is, and is it related to the detective's daughter Evie going missing as well????

60% through the book and I STILL don’t know who it is; the ex-boyfriend, the boyfriend, the school security officer, maybe the senator….. Ahhhh driving me nuts trying to figure out who it is. And who is this Collector guy they keep talking about, I’m willing to bet he has SOMETHING to do with Evie going missing, or maybe the little girl outside the station at the beg
Rebecca
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I love thrillers; one of my favorite genres.

I was really excited about this one; however, it just fell flat for me. I didn't enjoy any of the characters and found the plot line to be predictable and weak at times. It definitely wasn't the worst book I've ever read, and I would actually recommend - just don't expect too much.

I also hate to be a tough critic, but there were quite a few errors that actually led to my confusion at a couple points in the book.

i will read the next book in the series,
chelepissbcglobal.net
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OUTSTANDING.

I gave this book five stars but it deserved ten stars. If you haven't read any books by Blake Pierce then make sure you put him on your must read list. I've read about eight of his books so far and each and every one of them has been fantastic. This is one amazing author who writes unbelievably fantastic books. I highly recommend this book and every book written by this author.
Weiping Yin
Jan 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Bad Cop

Don’t believe all 4 or 5 stars. The self-centered, self-righteous, out of control detective, arresting people without warrant, entering and searching without permission, beating people, disobedience. What is the difference between the bad detective and criminal?
Linda
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Good for a free Kindle book. Buckle your seat belt and suspend your belief, it is a fun, fast ride.
Angela
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great introduction to this author. Read it in one sitting. Will definitely read more of this authors work.
Eric Boucher
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good

Excellent book. I love the characters and the plot. It was really fun to read. Can't wait to read the next one.
Rach
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
really good read, looking forward to the next in the series
Don K Schilling Jr
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
My First Crime Mystery Novel

Overall, I definitely enjoyed the read and finished it in two sittings. It was hard to put down. The characters were flawed and likable. The story felt fresh enough with its own twists. I’d recommend it to anyone looking for a quick enjoyable read. I will most likely finish the series.
Future Cat Lady
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was free - and it was a great Sunday afternoon read, but not worthy of any accolades. It was pretty transparent and I feel like some of the descriptions didn't quite match up when describing the characters and Keri is legit a terrible cop. It could be better, for sure. The second book was also free and I might read it, but definitely not paying for others in the series.
ElleEm
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
This book is much better than the first book by Pierce that I read. His characters seem to be damaged in some way and I like that they are, it makes them more real. This book is about a serial killer/kidnapper and it started off fast and I liked the play by play. I wish that there had been a little more back story and little clues had been dropped along the way. (view spoiler) ...more
Katie
May 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm listening to this book and it's good, but the British accent is really bothering me. Mostly it's the dialogue. It's set in LA and the detectives are American but it doesn't sound like it. Even British fiction audiobooks will attempt to change the accent when an American is speaking, but not here. Maybe it would be better to just read rather than listen. I hope the whole series isn't like this. The slang too... metro cars, barrister?

Okay, I'm halfway through and I can't go on. It's just not g
Lauren
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic fast paced read about a young woman who is kidnapped, even though her dad is insistent that she just ran away. Detective Locke refuses to believe it after her own daughter was kidnapped and she goes on a rampage looking for the girl. I was pulled in to the story from the beginning but hated that Locke did so many illegal things and assaulted so many people. That's not how law enforcement works. I wish the book had been a little more realistic but it lacked that reality for me ...more
Kimberly Hicks
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Suspense/Psychological Readers
Recommended to Kimberly by: BookBub
Shelves: read-on-kindle
What an exhilarating read!

One of the reasons Keri Locke, this series’ protagonist, is so good at being a Missing Persons Detective, is because she has a personal vendetta invested—her child, Evie, was abducted four years ago. Having to replay the horrors of that fateful day her beloved Evie was taken from her, there wasn’t any wonder why she attacked her job like a Rottweiler never turning loose the clues!

When Keri learned of a young teenage girl gone missing, she knew from the onset something
Shirley
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, bookclub
I think Jenna Maroney has some of the best lines in 30 Rock. There's a great scene where she remembers playing a pretty blond cop named "Alexis Goodlooking" who was "good at looking for clues." We then get treated to a scene from the show where she snaps orders to crime scene technicians and says, "Maybe the perp's in the system," before her face turns dark and broody, and she continues, "Unlike my husband's killer, who got away, and it haunts me." In another scene, she says, "I should tell my h ...more
Tina
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This is an interesting beginning to a potentially intriguing series.
Keri is a detective, new to the game and in the Missing Person's department. She is also mother to a missing daughter.
She is a follow-your-gut detective with a reckless side that often leads her into danger.
Her partner is a former boxer and there is some possible more than partners feelings going on between them, which will hopefully be explored in future books.
Ashley Penn didn't return home from school and is missing. Secrets a
Rosemary
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Taste of Death - a review by Rosemary Kenny

Ashley Penn is two hours late home from school; her heiress mother Mia immediately calls the LAPD as she thinks her innocent, well-behaved golf-starlet daughter must have been abducted, even though no ransom note has been received and her husband Senator Stafford Penn thinks Ashley's just being a normal teen.

When it turns out Ashley's been 'off the rails' for quite a while in secret, the desperate Mom insists Keri Locke is reinstated as lead in the ca
Charles Ray
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Former college professor Keri Locke is now a rookie detective in the Missing Persons Unit of LAPD’s Homicide Division. Still haunted by the abduction of her daughter four years earlier, she throws herself into her cases, while still seeking answers as to her daughter’s whereabouts.
When a high school student, daughter of a US Senator, fails to arrive home from school, she and her partner investigate. They uncover secrets in the girl’s life that lead everyone else to believe she has merely run awa
Jill
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Op de eerste dag van het nieuwe jaar meteen een eerste boek uit (nieuwjaarsdag = pyjama- en zeteldag). A Trace of Death is het eerste boek in de Keri Locke-serie. Het was entertainend en las heel vlot, maar een beetje meer eindredactie was wel fijn geweest. Op sommige plaatsen stond de naam van het ontvoerde meisje in plaats van de detective...

Keri Locke is een vrij stereotiepe detective met een verleden (haar dochter werd ook ontvoerd en nooit teruggevonden). Ik vond het af en toe storend hoe o
Cid
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Could not put it down.

I read this exciting thriller straight through, putting every thing on hold until the last page. This story , about the abduction of a 15 year old girl, is riveting. It is an adrenaline filled race against time to uncover the clues leading to her whereabouts, before it is too late to save her. The junior detective on the case is a very conflicted character, tenacious and a one woman example of police brutality within the LAPD. It's not a perfect book because there is clearl
Gloria
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Trace of Death is a new mystery series from the brilliant Blake Pierce.
As with his other novels the main protagonist is female and Blake is extremely gifted at looking through the eyes of a woman.
In Keri Locke Mystery 1, Keri is a missing persons detective working in the homicide division of the LAPD. She is haunted by the abduction of her eight year old daughter, five years and is fighting her own demons.
Keri becomes fixated with finding Ashley Penn a fifteen year old, daughter of a senator,
Blake Pierce is author of the bestselling RILEY PAGE mystery series, which includes seven books (and counting). Blake Pierce is also the author of the MACKENZIE WHITE mystery series, comprising four books (and counting); of the AVERY BLACK mystery series, comprising four books (and counting); and of the new KERI LOCKE mystery series.

An avid reader and lifelong fan of the mystery and thriller genre

Keri Locke Mystery (5 books)
  • A Trace of Murder (Keri Locke Mystery, #2)
  • A Trace of Vice (Keri Locke Mystery #3)
  • A Trace of Crime (Keri Locke Mystery #4)
  • A Trace of Hope (Keri Locke Mystery #5)
“Okay. For the username go with TRUESELF. For the password, use HOMEBASE.” She waited while he typed. There was a long, uncomfortable silence, her heart slamming in her chest, praying she” 1 likes
“It all reinforced her feeling that she was marking time more than really living.” 0 likes