Start by marking “Frostbite” as Want to Read:
Frostbite

Frostbite

(Frostbite #1-6)

In the arctic wilderness of post-apocalyptic America, death comes in many forms—but none is worse than the terrifying plague that freezes its victims from the inside out. They call it frostbite, and it is slowly, inexorably infecting the struggling remnants of humanity. Frostbite has no vaccine, no immunity, and no cure.

Until now.

In snowbound Mexico City, Dr. Henry Bonh
Paperback, Trade, 144 pages
Published August 1st 2017 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Frostbite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frostbite

Chad
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Basically this is Mad Max set in the snow. Set in a world 50 years after an ice age was triggered by a cold fusion experiment go wrong, our hero must get a scientist back to her lab in Alcatraz. She has a cure for Frostbite, a disease that causes you to freeze from the inside out. Now they must overcome roving marauders and gangsters to develop the cure for mankind. Jason Shawn Alexander's art looks better than ever. He's cleaned it up some, gotten more detailed and less scratchy.
Dennis
Welcome to the new Ice Age!

Some scientists fucked up big time and now we’ve got winter all year. For fifty-seven years now, to be precise.

description

On top of that there’s a serious disease spreading, which is called Frostbite. It freezes people from the inside out until you can basically smash them into icy little pieces.

Dr. Henry Bonham and his daughter Victoria, though, have found a cure for Frostbite and are now looking for a ride from New Mexico to a secret government installation on Alcatraz. Enter K
Paul E. Morph
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This Vertigo title was a nice, little slice of science fiction. While it wasn't especially original (we've seen 'new ice age' scenarios plenty of times before) it had a nice variation on the theme and plenty of action. It was well executed with some very nice artwork. It even had a twist in the final issue that could easily turn this one-off tale into an ongoing series.

Overall, it was nothing groundbreaking but I enjoyed it quite a bit.
Steve
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty good story set in an unusual dystopian future North America. Looking forward to the next volume.
El_Commutador
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Artwise, this book is a 4.5 stars one. The art is powerful and the world building is amazing. Unfortunately, though, the story isn't up to the art, because sometimes it reads like a rehash of other post-apocalyptic stories.
L. McCoy
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of wasteland adventure stories.
I just gotta say, I hate winter weather so a world like this one... holy s*** that would suck!

What’s it about?
Years into the future, the world is dealing with a new ice age (not on about a cartoon, on about an actual ice age here) and a group of adventurers (the wasteland kind that are desperate and do almost anything for money) get a job trying to get one particular person from Mexico to Alcatraz so she can work on her cure for frostbite, a disease spreading that in simple terms makes people ev
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Zoe from Firefly (come on, the lead totally looks like Gina Torres!) comes across an old man and his daughter who want passage to Alcatraz. They all live in a bizarro dystopian Earth where the next ice age was activated by the Cold Fusion 6, complete with a bizarro new virus, Frostbite. (Don't get confused with the real frostbite; they aren't the same in the least.)

The science in this makes no goddamn sense, but I liked it anyway. I always wanted to know what Zoe did after Serenity
SubjectZero
Feb 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Typical virus in a new ice age kind of sci-fi story. Doesn't really do anything new to me, characters are OK but instantly forgettable. Ending also felt like a cop out and although I brought all the issues the final copy seemed to be a rip off and was more of a prelude summary then a proper ending.
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
I loved this. Holy crap. I loved this so much! The cover art of Frostbite caught my attention – reminded me strongly of one of my favorite sci-fi women – and so I grabbed it while I had a coffee at the local Barnes & Noble. I knew I wasn’t going to buy it, but I’m a quick enough reader that getting through a volume like this in the time it takes me to drink a cup of coffee is fairly easy. So, even if it was a dud, I was good. It wasn’t a dud. It was freaking awesome!

The resemblance to Zoe fr
Frédéric
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, comics
Plot: 2,5* / Art: 4*

Post-apocalyptic America, colder than hell. If living in a new ice age wasn't enough a contagious disease freezing people from inside out, the Frostbite, slowly spreads. A young doctor might have the cure but she must go to Alcatraz and cross miles of mad-maxian snowy badlands first.

A relatively decent book, considering the thinness of the plot, but nothing to write home about. It mainly holds because of the main character, the others being more simply outlined. Keaton is re
James DeSantis
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This felt like a typical fun little low budget action/horror movie style.

What's it about? Well people get a disease called Frostbite, which, you guessed it, gives them just that. However, it's extreme. In terms of what it does to people it can kill them, or does, over time. The more heat that is introduce the quicker it spreads. it's like a zombie story without the zombies. On top of that the two main leads are not friends, but forced to work together, based on some information they both know a
Alex Sarll
Scientists attempting to turn global warming into an energy source instead unleash a new ice age, and along with it a new plague in which people gradually turn to ice. The plague gets called 'frostbite', even though surely in a new ice age you would often be needing to refer to actual frostbite, and so that's going to be frequently and needlessly confusing? Inevitably, there's only one person who knows how to cure it, because that's totally how medical research works, and the only people who can ...more
Zedsdead
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Zedsdead by: Found at Vault
Shelves: graphic-novels
Los Angeles, 57 years into the New Ice Age. A rough crew of antiheroes must deliver a genius scientist to the safety of the McGuffin Zone so that she can save the world. She is hunted by the minions of a megalomaniacal tycoon, who wants her kidnapped and enslaved.

I'd expected this to be about climate change. And maybe it is in an abstract sense, but the explicit cause of the New Ice Age is science-experiment-gone-awry. So it's about the hubris of man.

The science fiction aspect is feeble. William
Relstuart
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm a fan of the same author on his book Birthright and thought I would check this one out.

The art is solid and set in an alternate future where the world is suffering from a new ice age and a disease called Frostbite that causes people to freeze from the inside out. The story reaches a conclusion of sorts in this volume but it appears there will be more.
47Time
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-scifi
The artwork is amazingly gritty, the dialogue sounds good and the story is almost believable. This comic is an easy and enjoyable read, an action-packed story worthy of being made into a movie. The setting is a smart, futuristic post-apocalyptic world that is slowly being destroyed not only by an unbearable cold, but also a deadly disease that has already killed billions. Of course you have the character that is vital to healing the disease, her guardian of somewhat disreputable profession, a po ...more
Reuben
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mad Max on Ice!
Frostbite's story is fairly simple. But it's unique setting - near future California in the midst of a global ice age and a deadly pandemic; and the strong female protagonists - Vic the scientist with a world saving cure, and her protector Keaton, the smuggler captain - make it an interesting and exciting read.
The art style is really strong too, I often felt cold just from reading it! 3.5 stars (rounded up)
Nicole
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Neat concept and execution, and sometimes the art fits perfectly with the theme. It can be a bit gory, so if that's not your thing you might want to avoid this one. I enjoyed the writing in it, though, and the violence fits in with the dystopian future setting.
Sierra Dean
Solid comic with a satisfying conclusion (though obviously left open for a potential second volume). Elements of Mad Max with the Ice Queens/Firemen section. Worth a read.
Carrie
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
The dialogue's stilted at times, and the world-building felt a little thin, but Keaton makes an intriguing protagonist, and the story and the relationship between Keaton and Vic are compelling.
Tatiana
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This reads like an action movie and reminded me of Mad Max Fury Road in a few parts. I liked it well enough!!
Christy
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
The creative team in this one is WORKING IT.
Nelson
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vertigo-comics
A solid post-apocalyptic road trip tale.

Very good world-building within the short timeframe of a graphic novel. Williamson touched on all the necessary tropes but never dwelled long enough to wear them out. The characters felt real and were well developed given the constraint of 6 issues, and the ending wrapped everything up nicely with no loose ends, possibly even setting up a sequel (though the story provides closure if this is to be a standalone graphic novel).

The pencils by Jason Shaw Alexa
Dakota Morgan
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Frostbite introduces a world where climate change has run amok, plunging global temperatures into a new ice age. Fortunately, this ice age has slowed the spread of an abominable plague that turns people into icicles - but only barely.

I really liked the premise (it's freezing in Los Angeles and heat is now currency!), but the story itself isn't as strong. A doctor and his daughter contract the captain of a cargo hauler to take them north to San Francisco where the daughter can complete her cure
Cale
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's Mad Max on ice. Sorry, but that kind of has to be said up-front. It's a post apocalyptic world where all of North America is below freezing, and travel outside of major cities is life-threatening. Keaton is a hard-bitten survivor who gets caught up in getting a VIP from Mexico City to San Francisco, while several clans and groups try to stop her. It's got lots of vehicular action, graphic violence, and barren landscapes.
And yet I found it fascinating. Keaton and Victoria have a challenging
AprilMarie
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
3.5 - 4 stars.

A post-apocalyptic take about a world decimated by a second Ice Age. The survivors are now fighting to stay warm while trying to avoid a disease called Frostbite. If contracted you will basically freeze from the inside out. It’s painful, contagious and incurable. Well, there maybe a cure.

What I liked ... Keaton. She’s a transporter/smuggler who has been hired to take a couple of scientists from Mexico City to San Francisco. She is the main protagonist, maybe. She’s pretty much an
Angie
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
My Review: I loved the cover art on this one and picked it up on a whim. I was really pleasantly surprised. It had not only a great art style but also a really intriguing story line. It is an interesting mix of dystopian and science fiction and set in a nice atmospheric winter world. I really enjoyed the characters and their motivations. I would have liked to have more story on the Firemen and Ice Queens, as I think there is an interesting back story on their survival and adapted cultures. It do ...more
Donna
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Keaton travels across a cold world to get a scientist with the cure to a plague to a lab.

This graphic novel was ok. Keaton is believably tough and I'm a sucker for a post-apocalyptic story. I didn't like the art - too ragged and dark for me. I've read three other series by the author and would rank them like this: best = Nailbiter, Birthright, Frostbite, Ghosted. So not the best, but not the bottom, either. Joshua Williamson has some really innovative ideas which is what draws me to his work, bu
Ramon
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not as effective as I would've wanted, some of the plot and its execution was clunky. Very inspired by Fury Road. While Alexander's art is definitely pretty, sometimes it doesn't flow great, storytelling-wise. It doesn't "read" fluidly. He'll jump the line, or sometimes the eye isn't really led where it should be, or body language takes too long to figure out. Bit of a B-movie feel, not in the complimentary way.
Abdullah Zekeriya  Çan
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very fast finished, so fluent story. Not so strange story, actually it’s a classic post apocalyptic story but it has
a little difference. Regular post apocalyptic story is collecting happening and salvation subjects, in Frostbite has plot about after salvation.
On drawing nothing I can say bad. Really tasty watercolor sense and detailed descriptions on environment. Enjoy.
Tony
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 on this whole series. There is a lot to like here. This apocalypse totally kicks your apocalypse's ass. Check out my reviews of the whole series at DC Comics News.

• You are Here