Start by marking “The Retreat: A Tale of Spiritual Awakening” as Want to Read:
The Retreat: A Tale of Spiritual Awakening

The Retreat: A Tale of Spiritual Awakening

A week at a retreat becomes a transformational journey of spiritual renewal for a young Christian suffering a crisis of the soul in this poignant, illuminating, and spiritually wise teaching novel for fans of Jen Hatmaker, Shauna Niequist, and Brene Brown.
For her entire life, Amy considered her evangelical Christian upbringing the foundation of her life and beliefs.
Kindle Edition
Published March 28th 2017 by Harper Legend

To ask other readers questions about The Retreat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Retreat

Start your review of The Retreat: A Tale of Spiritual Awakening
L.F. Falconer
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Let me begin by saying that this is not the type of book I would normally choose to read, but as a fan of Jacci Turner, and as an ex-Christian who has become disillusioned with organized religion in general, yet who still retains a deeply spiritual nature, the plot line of the book caught my fascination.

Amy finds the judgmental edicts of her church conflicting with the truths she holds in her own heart. While at a spiritual retreat in Nebraska, which seems to blend the teachings of C
Michelle Wolbaum
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Retreat is a feel good quick read. Amy, the main character, has been struggle with her life and her friend invites her to a retreat that Amy's friend pays for. The story line follows Amy stay at the retreat.

At the retreat Amy has the opportunity to exam her life and what has happened. She meets and develops new friendships through her stay. In the end Amy is able to face the disappointments in her life that have held her back.

The Retreat is fresh spiritual fiction boo
Amy Hauptman
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and it's focus on contemplative practices as a fresh way of addressing disillusionment and burnout.
Paul
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For those who have been injured by involvement in a church, or other Christian group, or those who simply find evangelicalism to be constraining, The Retreat, is like opening a window for fresh air. All of the action literally takes place on a retreat and the reader is invited in to experience it vicariously. It is also a valuable resource for those who would like to better understand the issues and concerns of millennials with regard to Christian faith.
Turner touches on a number of contro
Nick Spanier
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Relatable, Honest Fiction

The Retreat manages to intertwine a guide for expanding spiritual practices with a how-to on self care and a path to healing, all wrapped beautifully inside a relatable, honest fiction story. Topics such as race, grief, burnout, legalism, Church wounds and being gay in a Christian context are addressed with gentleness and curiosity. I would recommend this book for anyone who's ever felt disappointed by Christian institutions as it offers hope for healing and reconnecti
Susan Cornfield
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Help is Available!

I began reading The Retreat at a low point in my life. My husband had been diagnosed with cancer. I was feeling rather overwhelmed with my life and emphasized with Amy, the main character. Jacci writes self-help into this story about healing and self discovery and what and how the Bible can assist. I used the book as a guide to contemplate the issues in my life and tried the practice of putting my concerns on leaves floating away. The stress reducing breathing technique helped
Jaymie
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a disappointment. It felt like an agenda (Talk about certain spiritual practices and social issues in the church) with a story vaguely wrapped around it. There were some good moments, but this just wasn’t a good fit for me.
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that some people will not relate to at all and some people will feel like the author has been spying on them and transcribing their soul. I fit into the latter category. The book follows someone who was raised in a religious setting but no longer feels that her upbringing is reflective of the harsh realities of the world. She misses the community and the faith, but doesn't know how to marry the positive things of that upbringing with the ugliness all around her. She ge ...more
Jacci
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm so excited about this book. I think so many folks are disgruntled with the evangelical church and struggling to find out where they fit with faith. This book will call you to go, "further out and deeper in." Can't wait to hear what folks think.
Sue
Nancy
Aug 17, 2017
Michaela
Oct 26, 2017
I like to write about social issues. In my books you can find things about trafficking, what it means to be family, racism, and how to grow spiritually. It's all over the map, because it's all me and what I'm thinking about and concerned about. Join me in this grand adventure called life.