Start by marking “Dark Flash” as Want to Read:
Dark Flash

Dark Flash

Eight stories of dark fantasy, science fiction, and horror. Featuring unicorns, pirates, a cat, a demon, magic, and glimpses of mythology (among other things) - there's a pinch of everything in this collection of flash fiction! All eight stories originally appeared on R.B. Wood's Word Count Podcast, and are now available as an ebook for the first time.
Kindle Edition
Published December 6th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Dark Flash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Flash

Maria
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dark Flash is a collection of 8 flash fiction stories that originally appeared on R.B. Wood's Word Count Podcast. I remember reading a couple of them when the author posted them on her website and I enjoyed them, so I jumped at the chance to read an e-book with all of the stories in it. The first story "The Unicorn" was one of those that I had already read. It's a fantasy tale that contains a touch of magic and horror. It is a wonderfully imaginative story that has an unexpected twist at the end ...more
The Grim Reader
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dark feast of flash.

This is a varied and entertaining collection of 8 flash fiction pieces from Maria Haskins. Each tale provides a different setting and though a quick read, it is a good one. A good way to check out a writer you might not be familiar without breaking the bank.
3.5 stars.
Darcia Helle
Good authors are able to weave an interesting tale, over time, with an abundance of words. Great authors are able to capture us, their stories demanding attention, with a minimum of words. Maria Haskins is one such great author. Her words are precise tools, and she wields them like a magic wand, lifting us out of wherever we are and dropping us straight into her imagination.

These stories all share a dark edge, with surprising turns and unique concepts. They are like mini portraits, full of colo
Jason Nugent
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Perfect Name for this Collection

Maria is a talented writer of dark fiction. These flash fiction stories are well written, tantalizing, and entertaining. You'll experience unexpected twists and excellent tales. Do yourself a favor and get these stories.
Cassie Lola (holo.reader)
This little collection of flash fiction popped up in my 'recommended' Amazon section, and I'm an impulsive book buyer, so I grabbed it right away. I've been really enjoying reading short stories/novellas lately due to time constraints in my personal life (3+ jobs is no joke, friends!), so when I saw this, I thought it seemed right up my alley.

I hadn't read anything by Maria Haskins before, but after getting through this, I can see that she's got a clear voice to her writing. While a couple of th
Robert Zimmermann
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've read some of Maria Haskins poetry and flash fiction in the past. because I've enjoyed it, I decided to give a collection of her flash fiction a read. I'm happy to have done so.

As with most flash fiction, it can be a hit and miss. Length is a major factor that shapes each story and what can be done within the limited word count. Haskins has more hits than misses, in my opinion. Not every story wowed me, but many did. She's able to work a lot of "story" into each story, keep the pace fast wit
Leo McBride
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Maria Haskins is a helluva writer. Full disclosure here, she's right alongside one of my stories in the Tales From Alternate Earths book, so you might well think I'm biased. I am. In favour of quality.
What I love about Maria's writing is how she is able to create such a big world in such few words.
This collection is all flash fiction - a short and sweet read - but of course in flash fiction you can't do much more than create a vignette, a moment in time, a fragment, right? And then here comes Ma
C Lane
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly full characters in short story format

I was thrilled to read this collection of interesting and thought-provoking short format stories! Haskins has taken common themes of everyday living and given them a dark twist.
In the end you may want more from Haskins, but not from any of these stories!
Jc11king
Mar 21, 2018
D.
Feb 19, 2017
Maria Haskins
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shel
is currently reading it
Apr 20, 2018
Mark Morris
Jan 04, 2019
I'm a Swedish-Canadian writer and translator. I write speculative fiction and poetry, and debuted as a writer in Sweden in the 1980s. Since 1992 I live in Canada, just outside Vancouver, with a husband, two kids, and a very large black dog.