Start by marking “Perfect Prey (D.I. Callanach, #2)” as Want to Read:
Perfect Prey (D.I. Callanach, #2)

Perfect Prey

(D.I. Callanach #2)

The second in the terrifying DI Callanach crime series. Fans of M.J. Arlidge will be hooked from the very first page.

In the midst of a rock festival, a charity worker is sliced across the stomach. He dies minutes later. In a crowd of thousands, no one saw his attacker. The following week, the body of a primary school teacher is found in a dumpster in an Edinburgh alley, st
Published July 27th 2017 by Avon (first published June 15th 2017)

Start your review of Perfect Prey (D.I. Callanach, #2)
Sandy
So….2 big announcements to kick off this review. For the first time in ages I picked up a book that sent me into hiding so I could read uninterrupted by those pesky people who claim to be family.

Second, we have an early front runner for my world famous “ Dickhead of the Year ” Award * (* fiction category, not to be confused with the one bestowed on a real person). You know those characters you love to loathe? Well, keep your blood pressure meds nearby. This book has one that made me wish I cou
Matt
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Helen Fields returns with an equally powerful follow-up novel that places Detective Inspector Luc Callanach in the centre of a truly baffling crime. When a murder is reported at a summer music festival in Edinburgh, D.I. Callanach is happy to take the lead in order to find the killer. However, the limited witness statements and video footage of use from the event leaves Callanach unsure of how to proceed. Soon thereafter, a piece of vandalism emerges, perhaps a reaction to the crime, as if the w ...more
Maureen Carden
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: police, thriller, supense
I am on Sesame Street, saying "...and today's letter will be I." “I” as in intriguing, intricate, involved, interesting and impressive. Yeah, that pretty well sums up Helen Field's second D.I. Luc Callanach outing, Perfect Prey.
Four people are killed in different but horrific and spectacular ways. A crime wave that terrifies the citizens of Edinburgh unused as they are to such crimes. Multiple killers, one fiendishly clever killer or maybe both? D.I. Callanach is under tremendous pressure from a
Helga
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, crime, series
Bloody hell!!! This was amazing. If you like Chris Carter’s books, you will, in all probability, like this one too.

A man is stabbed to death at a music festival right in the midst of a huge crowd. A woman is crushed to death by her heavy closet. Another woman is suffocated by her own scarf. A man is skinned to death. Edinburgh is a war zone and bodies are piling up!
And what do these victims have in common? They are all do-gooders and charity workers.
Are the murders committed by one individual o
Brenda
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first thing I want to say is this book is incredibly gruesome and graphic. If you are easily upset by cruelty to humans and animals, pass this one by.

The second thing I want to say is that this book at one point goes deep into the darknet where human perversities abound. There is some tech speak that might make your eyes glaze over or bore you to tears, but I think you’ll get the gist of how difficult it is to enter the darknet in the first place and that you don’t ever ever want to go there
Skyler Autumn
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Perfect Prey was even better then Perfect Remains. I am loving this series so far, it is taking over my life. All I want to do is shut out life stuff and read these books in peace. God, why does life get in the way of my reading!!??

Review to come.
Carolyn
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ken
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whilst the first D.I. Luc Callanach novel was a slow burning introduction to the French detectives 'fish out of water' arrival in Edinburgh, this follow up thrusts the reader straight into murder and gore from the very first page.

From a fatal stabbing at a music festival to a school teacher brutally murdered a week late, the Scottish capital is starting to gain an unwanted reputation.

Callanach and Turner soon realise these attacks are bring tagged in advance as graffiti is appearing on the stree
Gary
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first novel I have read by this author and although it is the 2nd book in this series it did not detract from my enjoyment or my understanding. The book is full of gruesome murders, excellent interesting characters and together with a well paced plot make a very entertaining read.

The first gruesome murder takes place at a rock festival, a charity worker is sliced across the stomach left to die and although there are thousands of potential witnesses no one sees the attacker. A week la
Alayne Emmett
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give this book more stars as it was brilliant. It started off very quickly and kept going right until the end. It was exciting, twisty and very graphic. This book would make a great series going by this one and the first one I read. If you like crime novels which keep you reading until the last page, then this one is definitely for you.
Pat
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

This series is seriously good. I remember bits of this one, it was utterly gripping and as the killings are to do with the dark web it is all very disturbing too. The dark web seems to be the electronic sewer of the world. Do yourself a favour and read this series, OK there are some yucky bits at times but they're not too bad and writing is very sharp.
Christine
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-crime-2017
After reading Perfect Remains and falling in love with D. I. Luc Callanach, I was keen to get stuck into Perfect Prey. Perfect Prey is the second in the Scottish crime series by Helen Fields. Reading Fields reminds me so much of Chris Carter and Karin Slaughter. There is this wonderful vein of gorgeous explicit darkness running through it, combined with such humanity. Seriously this is the best new series I have come across in ages! I urge you all to discover what I mean!

The first book set the s
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Perfect Prey is book #2 in the DI Callanach crime series. I haven't read the first book in the series, but didn't have a problem jumping into this one. There were occasional references to book #1, but nothing that would distract from the current story.

The mixture of vicious murders, deep web aspects and a secondary team trying to take down an activist group brought some interesting and complex aspects to the plot. I was pulled into the mysteries of the uniquely gruesome murders immediately and r
Liz Barnsley
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
**4.5 stars**

So we come to the second in Helen Fields rather fist pumping DI Callanach series – the first being Perfect Remains which you should certainly check out and its a right old page turner. Dark though, very dark. I don’t think there is any writer out there doing death scenes like Helen Fields is doing them and they are horrifically hard hitting (which I love it has to be said. Not sure what that says about me)

Anyone who has read the first book will know what to expect – and here you get
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For my full review, visit me at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...

This book can be described as a ‘pressure cooker’ book. It simmers away throughout, occasionally blasting out bursts of air, until it reaches the climax cooking point in the final quarter of the novel. Fields gradually builds up the tension and brings it all to a climax, leaving me racing through the pages and desperate to see its conclusion.

Eva
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ever since I read Perfect Remains at the start of the year, I’ve been waiting with baited breath for the next book in the DI Callahan series. Second books are always a tad tricky, aren’t they? When the first one has built up such high expectations, you always wonder if the next one will live up to the hype you created in your own head or if you’ll be left disappointed. Well, I can already tell you right now that Perfect Prey is even more awesome than its predecessor!

DI Luc Callahan is back and h
Kat Dietrich
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perfect Prey by Helen Fields is the 2nd in the Luc Callanach series.

Series Background (Warning – May contain spoilers from previous books):
DI Luc is half French and half Scottish, living most of his life in France, and working for Interpol. Due to a false rape allegation made by co-worker Astrid Borde, he leaves France, his job, his friends, his mother. Very few are sad to see him go. With some assistance from his bosses, he heads to Edinburgh to take command of a homicide team. His welcome is n
Mohamed Dawood
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, thriller
No Prejudice. This is one of the finest thriller in the Perfect Series.
Story dissect into 2 parts first one with the line/method of killing & the next one of identifying the killers.
Much of the Light shed on the Callanch compared to Turner, which i liked it, because i like callanch character, which i dont want to vapourise from the series.

On the row 4 corpse were found one after another in Edinburgh and the killer is using Darknet to select the Prey and grafitti describig the victims, but when
Kate
Gripping but exceedingly dark. And with a couple of characters who drove me to the limits of my endurance.

Siobhan
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect Prey is the second DI Callanach novel, and it is a truly amazing read. In fact, I’d go so far as to say it’s my favourite read of the year thus far. I came so close to giving it a five star rating – it’s one of the strongest four-point-five star ratings I have given in a long time – yet my inherent stringiness with five star ratings means tiny things prevented me from quite giving the full five stars. It was extremely close to five stars, though, I cannot deny that. Moreover, I’m positiv ...more
G.J.
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: thrillers
Oh no, what happened to Luc Callanach and his sidekick Ava Turner ? I loved the first book in the series, gave it a well deserved five stars and thought I was on to a winning series This book , the second in the series was a let down. Callanach became an unlikeable cop, Ava got engaged to a dreadful prat and generally the story was dubious at best, with a truly ridiculous “twist” mid way. What a shame. I have bought the third in the series, so shall hope this was just a slight blip and the guys ...more
Sarika
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first one.
Kelly Lacey
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My expectations for book two Perfect Prey were so high. Perfect Remains had smacked me around the head and then nestled into my consciousness forever. I received my ARC from Avon Books UK and I dived in.

Firstly I love the cover, it gives nothing away. Which I find is very important, to me anyway. The bright red of the blood catches your eye.

Starting on chapter one, I was greeted by the handsome D.I. Luc Callanach and the straight talking D.I. Ava Turner. It was truly AWESOME to be on an adventur
Kim Ebner
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Please check out my book blog at www.thebuzzingbookmark.com

This book is the second in the D.I Callanach series, but I use the word "series" lightly here as it really isn't necessary to have read the first book. As it turns out, I have in fact read the first book, and although the first book is obviously our first introduction to the characters, I don't think it's imperative to have read the first title to enjoy this one. You could start here and not be in any way prejudiced.

This follow up novel
Denise
Sep 08, 2018 added it
"Four victims currently in limbo at the city mortuary. Death by strangulation, facial skinning, stabbing and crushing." And there's more to come...

If you haven't yet picked up this series and moved it to the top of your TBR pile, I think you're missing some of the best crime fiction available. This series is awesome for many reasons: the plots, the action, the drama, and the characters. All of it, and more, bundled up to give you an evening or two of suspense and enough chills to keep you awake
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I haven't read the first in the series, I was approaching this (which I listened to on audiobook) from the point of view of someone new to the series.

The D.I. Callanach series seems like a solid, interesting and - at times - very dark crime/ thriller series. It's grim in places, which I have to say I really enjoyed; on the whole I do like my crime novels gritty and hard-hitting - and this certainly fits the bill!

The main character, Luc Callahan, is a rather attractive (as we are told at vario
KC
In second of this new fascinating and thrilling series, DI Luc Callanach and team face the most diabolical and menacing serial killer who happens to target the most kind, giving, and empathetic do-gooders. Can the Scottish Police halt this violence before another victim is claimed? An excellent series for those who enjoy M.J. Arlidge and Robert Bryndza.
RachelW (BamaGal)
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
This was an arc, but when I went to Amazon to buy book 1, there was no Kindle version available, only an overly expensive print version (Avon UK). Bummer...

Very good police procedural. I missed the first book in the series; but there was enough backstory given to catch me up. I'll definitely be following the series from here on out. The story was meaty and convoluted. There was almost too much going on to keep up with. Ava and Luc were real cops with real human issues and foibles. No super-cops
Charmaine Saliba
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Last night, I finished Perfect Prey by Helen Fields. This is the second book in DI Callanach series. I really loved it and couldn't put it down.
DI Callanach was called to investigate a murder, when he arrived on the crime scene was obvious that it won’t be an easy case. The victim is a young man, who was brutally killed during a concert. No one saw or heard anything. The only hope for the Scotland Police was the cameras.
That day, another victim was found murdered brutally at her home. When DI
Jennifer Nolan
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Gifspoor
  • All Fall Down (Helen Grace, #9)
  • Nooit meer alleen
  • Visning pågår (Emma Sköld, #3)
  • Wie zonder zonde is
  • Strandslag
  • Plantage Wildlust
  • Slotcouplet. Ervaringen van een longarts
  • Waterland
  • Black Summer (Washington Poe, #2)
  • Arcanum
  • Ik mis je
  • Olivia's geheim (De drie dochters, #3)
  • Tel tot tien
  • Wat jij niet ziet
  • Fruset guld (Rönning Stilton, #6)
  • In Eigen Hand
An international and Amazon #1 best-selling author, Helen is a former criminal and family law barrister. Every book in the Callanach series claimed an Amazon #1 bestseller flag. Her next book, the sixth in the series, 'Perfect Kill' is due out on 6 February 2020. Helen also writes as HS Chandler, and last year released legal thriller 'Degrees of Guilt'. Her previous audio book 'Perfect Crime' knoc ...more

D.I. Callanach (6 books)
  • Perfect Remains (D.I. Callanach, #1)
  • Perfect Death (D.I. Callanach, #3)
  • Perfect Silence (D.I. Callanach, #4)
  • Perfect Crime (D.I. Callanach, #5)
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)

News & Interviews