Start by marking “You Sent Me A Letter” as Want to Read:
You Sent Me A Letter

You Sent Me A Letter

"Julie Maisey's gripping narration is as compelling as Dawson's unusual mystery ... Hearing the sensational conclusion will rival any high-octane movie." — AudioFile Magazine

At 2 am on the morning of her fortieth birthday, Sophie wakes in the darkness of her bedroom and finds a stranger watching her from the foot of the bed. The intruder hands Sophie a letter and issues an
Audiobook, 0 pages
Published March 1st 2016 by Bolinda audio (first published May 7th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about You Sent Me A Letter, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
abcJenny I am so glad someone else asked this question. I also was really disappointed with the ending. The first thing I did was to google to find out what I …moreI am so glad someone else asked this question. I also was really disappointed with the ending. The first thing I did was to google to find out what I had missed. At least I know it is not only me. (less)
Sheila Pritchard Yes I agree - mostly because it was the second book of Dawson's that I read and it was a very thinly veiled repeat of the themes and character-types o…moreYes I agree - mostly because it was the second book of Dawson's that I read and it was a very thinly veiled repeat of the themes and character-types of the first book. If she wanted to write more than one book I wish she had something new to say!(less)

Start your review of You Sent Me A Letter
Lee
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sophie wakes up in the early hours of the morning to find a man standing over her bed. She is given and envelope and is instructed that she must open it at 8pm tonight at her 40th birthday in front of family and friends. I have to say I just loved this book, it is definitely high on the list of what I have already read this year. An amazing opening that sets the pace of the book for a fantastic psychological thriller. This is not a predictable story, you have no idea at times where it is going b ...more
Rachael
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know I’m a dissenting voice here, but I honestly thought this was pretty awful.

Sophie is woken in the night by a masked man who gives her a letter, he tells her she must open it in front of all the guests assembled at her 40th birthday the next night, if she doesn’t, he will hurt her and her family.

What does Sophie do? Does she call the police? Try to figure out who she may have wronged to deserve this letter (apart from her fiancé’s apparently crazy ex wife)? Does she OPEN THE BLOODY LETTER i
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
Not sure how I feel about this one. I did enjoy reading it but didn't feel like it was "thrilling" enough. The plot was very straight forward and I saw where it was going from a mile away. It was very readable but slightly far-fetched and I just didn't feel like it went as far as it could have.
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
Sophie wakes up in the middle of the night. Her fiance Marc is away and there is a man in her room. He hands her a letter and tells her that she must open it at 8pm that night - which will be in the middle of her 40th birthday party. If she doesn't, he will return to hurt her and hurt her family. It's a "The Husband's Secret" kind of premise, but don't get your hopes up: this is a silly, unsatisfying book.

Sophie spends the first half of the book getting ready for the party, freaking out and tryi
Lisa
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was great!!!

We're doing a "Book Train" in Women of Mystery. The book you read should have a title that starts with the last letter of the book read at the stop before yours. This was my turn, and I had... Y. Yikes.

So I had to go on a hunt for a mystery/thriller written by a woman, or a book that has a female protagonist, and I found this. And it was GREAT! I listened to it on audio, and the narrator was fantastic. It was the craziest story, completely unique, and tons of fun. I am so jealo
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I became aware about this book before it was published and had it on pre order. As soon as it arrived on my kindle, I couldn't wait to start it.

Turning forty is quite a milestone for most of us. It's one that will certainly be memorable for Sophie, but unfortunately for all the wrong reasons.

To wake up to a male intruder in the house is certainly enough to frighten anyone but the letter that he leaves Sophie with has her going through a whole load of emotions.

You Sent Me a Letter is a story that
Erica
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's two in the morning, the morning of Sophie's 40th birthday, when she wakes to find an intruder in her bedroom. They hand her a letter along with a threat: she is to open the letter later this evening in front of everyone at her party at exactly 8 p.m. or the people she loves will be in danger. As sleep eludes her, and her family fills her day with surprises, Sophie wracks her brain to come up with an answer as to what the letter contains and who could've sent it.
Bookread2day
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must buy must read. This is the best novel that Lucy Dawson has ever written. It's full of suspense and gripping cleaver twists. I found it difficult to put down. This is the type of book that gives me pleasure reading. I highly recommend it to fans who like reading a story with a chilling twist. I do hope Lucy Dawson writes more novels like this.
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
My second well played in two days goes to Lucy Dawson!
Tracy Fenton
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An original and gripping book which kept me guessing throughout.
Trish at Between My Lines
This review was originally posted on Between My Lines

Dear Ms Dawson,

I just finished You Sent Me a Letter, and my head is whirling. I want to cry but, but, BUT, and gnash my teeth in frustration. However, I also want to shake your hand, and congratulate you on an ending that shook me!

Yours sincerely,

A shook book blogger

My thoughts on You Sent Me a Letter by Lucy Dawson

This book starts off with an intriguing concept. The night before Sophie’s 40th birthday, a strange man breaks into her hou
Nav (she/her) 🌧
Positives:
- Right from the beginning, the book had me thinking what I would do in the position of the main character.
- I thought the scene where Sophie contacts the mobile phone provider was well done and realistic, especially when the customer service assistant took her through the security questions. These were questions I had experience of answering myself so I knew them to be accurate.
- The overall plot was clear and easy to understand why Sophie was doing what she was doing.
- When the story
Gail
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I made the serious mistake of starting this early evening and I simply couldn't put it down until I'd finished it at 4am! I was totally hooked and immersed in it the whole time. Page 1 grips you and from thereon in the story has you in its grasp and won't let you go until the final page is turned.

Sophie is startled awake when she realises there is a man in her bedroom. Her partner, Marc, is away on business and she is terrified. The man gives her a letter with instructions as to where and when
Suze Lavender
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sophie is engaged to a man named Marc. Unfortunately he can't be home on the morning of her fortieth birthday and Sophie has to spend the night on her own. When she wakes up at 2 a.m. she finds a man in her bedroom who's watching her, someone she's never seen before. He gives her a letter which she's supposed to read at her party that evening. He threatens to do something awful to her loved ones if she doesn't do what he says. She can't tell anyone about the letter and she has to keep it safe un ...more
Malia
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
The long title "You Sent Me a Letter: A fast paced, gripping psychological thriller" initially seemed a little odd, but it actually lived up to the description. Dawson's style is immediately engaging and the story had lots of twists and turns I was not expecting. Though I did guess at the villain's identity, it did not bother me. The characters were interesting, the writing fast-paced and engaging. I would definitely recommend this one!

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandp
IzzyReadsAlot
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good but Jesus I couldn't give it five stars because that ending was awful! what on earth wad the author thinking??? It makes no sense! what about the kids? And their poor mom! Please tell me there's a part two because otherwise those kids were taken away from their mother for nothing and HELLO she slept with that dude when they were separated! Her best friend has a right to be mad but Marc doesn't. End rant.
C.L. Taylor
A gripping read with an intriguing and unsettling mystery at its heart. It kept me guessing all the way through and I found it impossible to put down.
Steve
Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
While parts of this book just make me openly weep for the state of a particular type of crime and just how easy it is, I found this interesting, but also difficult to read. The climax turned up rather quickly and kept me guessing, but the final reveal was a little obvious to my mind. The resolution answered some questions, and left others infuriatingly unanswered.
Nicole
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible ending.............unfinished business
Kayla (kaylareads)
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this, the opening pages gripped me and left me with questions that I just had to keep reading to have answered. I loved that I was kept guessing as to who was responsible, there were definately things I didn't see coming and I was kept guessing right to the end. Started Sunday bedtime and finished by Tuesday lunchtime which is fast reading for me having two small children.
Was my first book by this author but doubt it will be my last, would recommend to friends and family.
Fiona MacDonald
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
This page turner was a real Agatha Christie of red herrings, but ultimately I was relieved at my choice of villain, for I was proved right in the end. Very gripping book, one of those ones you keep saying 'just one more page' to and then suddenly it's over and you wonder what on earth you will do now this roller-coaster ride has ended.
Nessa
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book
I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this story on audio, it had me captivated throughout and had me guessing right to the very end as to how it would all turn out.
Kylie
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-20, audiobooks
This was a weak story
Leah
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucy Dawson has always erred on the side of darker fiction, and her new novel You Sent Me A Letter is no exception. It's extremely dark, with a twisty plot, and you're never quite sure who to trust, or who gave Sophie that letter to read out at 8pm, on her birthday, although after a certain revelation, I nailed my colours to the mast, and as it turned out I was right. GO ME. I am the best at guessing who did it, and I was right again.

I've been a fan of Lucy's ever since her debut novel His Other
Lynsey Summers
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I have read by Lucy Dawson and most certainly will not be the last. This novel has the most fantastic opening chapter, if you want a story that hits the ground running you will not be disappointed. Lucy Dawson manages to continue the fast paced action throughout, which considering the span of time the bulk of the book covers - less than a day - is quite impressive.

I was immediately absorbed into protagonist Sophie's mind, and could feel my own stomach tensing with the cho
Clare
Sophie Gardener is 39 years old and is engaged to Mark Turner who is a lawyer in a big London Practice. Before meeting Sophie he lived in France with his Wife Claudine and their 2 children. The marriage ended when Claudine left with the children for another man.

In the early hours of her 40th birthday, Sophie wakes in the middle of the night to find a hired thug sitting in her bedroom. He gives her a sealed envelope and explains she has to open the letter at 8pm that night at her 40th birthday pa
Claire
Review: You Sent me a Letter by Lucy Dawson Publisher: Corvus (3rd March 2016)

ISBN: 978-1782396222

Source: Real Readers

Rating: 5*

Synopsis:
At 2 a.m. on the morning of her fortieth birthday, Sophie wakes to find an intruder in her bedroom. The stranger hands Sophie a letter and issues an threat: open the letter at her party that evening, in front of family and friends, at exactly 8 p.m., or those she loves will be in grave danger.What can the letter possibly contain? This will be no ordinary pa
Dec 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Renita D'Silva
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unrelentingly tense and pacy, from the very first page until the mind blowing end. Loved it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Catch
  • Spare Me the Truth (Dan Forrester #1)
  • Viral
  • The Flower Girls
  • Love Will Tear Us Apart
  • The Daughter
  • Death Mask (Dr. Anya Crichton, #5)
  • The Ex Girlfriend
  • The Holiday
  • Who Killed Ruby?
  • Closer
  • Anything For Her
Lucy studied Psychology at Warwick University before becoming a children’s magazine editor. Her first bestselling book – His Other Lover – was published in 2008. Since then she has published four other novels and her work has been translated into numerous other languages. She lives in Exeter with her husband and children. Lucy finds writing in the third person uncomfortable.