Start by marking “Highland Pursuits” as Want to Read:
Highland Pursuits

Highland Pursuits

(Highlands #1)

The Scottish Highlands, 1928.
Feisty debutante Lady Ophelia has no intention of marrying, unless it's to a man who can make her toes tingle.

Banished to her ancestral home of Castle Kintochlochie, accompanied by her little terrier, Pudding, she finds herself drawn to the ruggedly attractive and wildly unsuitable estate manager, Hamish.

A weekend party brings the arrival of
Published January 27th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Highland Pursuits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Highland Pursuits

Coco.V
Mar 16, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
💝 FREE on Amazon today (3/16/2018)!💝
Rachel Vine
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review of Highland Pursuits by Emmanuelle Maupassant

I can’t tell you how much I love this book. It was a true delight to read. The author has captured the period in 1920s Britain wonderfully, and her detail is exquisite.

Lady Ophelia Finchingfield has turned down the chance of marriage to the dull Honourable Percival Huntley-Withington, whom she met while coming out as a debutante during the Season in London. She finds the life of a woman of her era and class to be limited and boring, and longs
Mike
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Highlander Interlude

Disclaimer up front: I am not a romance book reader. Well, not exactly, I do enjoy a Clive Cussler book now and then, they are men's romance books after all. Nonetheless, I did enjoy this book.

Emmanuelle is a very good writer, both from language structure and description, as well as character development and most of all story. Her work sneaks up on you. It begins as a colorful scene and before you know it you are caught up in the story and turning pages to see what happens ne
⭐ Emerson ⭐
Currently FREE on Amazon!
Angela
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: author-requests
I first read a version of Highland Pursuits in a charity anthology, Because Beards. I say 'a version' because if you also read that one and enjoyed it, you will enjoy this version as if reading it anew. It has had characters added and been developed and lengthened to give a much fuller, more detailed account of Lady Ophelia Finchingfield's time spent at her mother's ancestral home and her meetings and lust for Hamish.

This book is described as a comedy of manners and romance and there are certain
John
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Emmanuelle de Maupassant's writing. Erotically brilliant!!
Terrance Shaw
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Set in the Britain of 1928, 'Highland Pursuits' begins as a feather-light Wodehouse-ian romp liberally crossed with elements of 'Downton Abbey' and 'Upstairs, Downstairs'. Lovely, young, and uncomfortably eligible Ophelia rejects her upper-class twit of a suitor in London and is summarily packed off to the Scottish highlands to “come to her senses” spending the summer on her grandmother’s manor estate. Ophelia hardly fits the mold of a typical Wodehouse leading lady; she is neither an insufferab ...more
Ellen Whyte
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting a novel filled with high society parties laced with witty and sharp one-liners, like The Thin Man films or the Mrs Bradley books. While there are lords and ladies, they're mostly obsessed with sex.

I had to laugh because I've always thought that too much money and leisure means the super rich tend to focus on getting their end away rather than anything else. According to Highland Pursuits, I was right!

Highland Pursuits is a romance romp with a very independent heroine. It's a fun
Dennis Cardiff
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After having read The Gentlemen's Club, Cautionary Tales and Scarlet by Emmanuelle de Maupassant I eagerly anticipated her latest book, Highland Pursuits. I wasn't disappointed; this is a rollicking tale of the 1920's, somewhat in the manner of the popular television program, Upstairs, Downstairs. We read about the daily adventures of the hired help and the landed gentry who inhabit a Scottish castle. Under the hand of this talented and skillful author descriptions of nature, dialogues and actio ...more
R.T. Graham
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun book. Ophelia is sent to her grandmother's in Scotland after she refuses to marry. Expecting her exile to be horrible, she soon meets Hamish, and instead, her banishment becomes an adventure. While historical romances aren't my usual "cup of tea", Emmanuelle de Maupassant's dry wit and vivid descriptions made this a very enjoyable read!
Leslie
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic, trashy, ku
Disclaimer: I really am lazy about not reading book blurbs in depth or reading reviews before I pick books, especially KU books.

I saw this on some one's list and saw "if you like Downton Abbey ..." and I clicked read for free...
And the beginning of the book was pretty gosh darn entertaining with the adventures of a roaring 20's debutante in London. And her subsequent dispatch to the Highlands to stay with her maternal grandmama.

So I was pretty surprised to drift into some risque material (see
Zrinka Jelic
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book. It was quite nicely written. Loved the heroine, Ophelia, but the story picked up for me when she gets sent to spend her summer in Scotland with her grandma for turning down the Earl's proposal.
In Scotland, she meets Hamish and though his first impression of him wasn't the fondest, he surprises her when he cleans up nice. The only reason he donned on a clean suit, trimmed his beard and washed his hair is her grandma's lavish birthday party to which many people are in
Pandora Spocks
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! But then, I’ve been a huge fan of Emmanuelle de Maupassant since I read The Gentlemen’s Club, which I also highly recommend. In Highland Pursuits, young Ophelia is sent to visit her grandmother in Scotland as a punishment for declining the proposal of a proper, if boring, suitor. But her grandmother’s progressive attitudes about life, love, and the role of women in society serve to fuel the fire Ophelia feels. She’ll not be content to merely be some man’s property.
At their fi
Alison
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Now I don't normally set out to read books based fully or partially in Scotland, but having read other books by this author I was keen to see how my homeland was depicted.

Emmanuelle has clearly done her homework - she has the period (1920's) lifestyle perfect - life above and below stairs and the way a Highland estate was run.

The story of 'banished' debutante, Ophelia, to her Grandmothers draughty castle was a fun read and the characters well written.

A highly enjoyable story. I have not read th
Charlie B.
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you've read Emmanuelle's previous books, notably, ' The Gentleman's Club', the you might think this is more of the same, it isn't. Is it Erotica, no. Is it Erotic, most certainly, but in an underscored manner that teases rather than hits you in the face. But what you do have here is a beautiful exploration, in fiction, of the changes of attitude between the Edwardian period and the jazzy era of flappers and, to quote E, the bright young things of the twenties.
The characters are amazing, from
C Joy
I got this free on Amazon for a limited time and it's only now that I got around to reading it.

I have to admit this book was quite different than I expected and it's not a bad thing. 4.5 stars for this!

This is more of a coming-of-age novel about a debutante who's feeling the strictures of life. It's either marriage or spinsterhood for Ophelia so her mother sent her to Scotland as punishment.

I could understand why this wasn't highly rated but I appreciated how natural Ophelia was. She doesn't rea
Samantha MacLeod
I didn’t expect to fall in love with this book.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I loved Cautionary Tales, de Maupassant’s collection of dark, erotic short stories. But I’ve never been crazy about the Roaring 20s – The Great Gatsby notwithstanding – and stories about the idly rich tend to make me roll my eyes.

So it was only my love of de Maupassant’s other works that led me to open Highland Pursuits, a romantic story about a London debutante set in the 1920s.

And it was awesome!

As usual, de Maupassant has
Brienne Dubh
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third novel by Ms Maupassant I have read and reviewed, and I find that the more I read of hers, the bigger fan I become. This provides a departure from the sinfully erotic ‘The Gentlemen’s Club’ and the dark dramatic underbelly of the conscious depicted in the wonderful ‘Cautionary Tales’. ‘Highland Pursuits’ reminded me of both Cold Comfort Farm and My Man Jeeves! It is both funny, and relatable.

Lady Ophelia Finchingfield is struggling to find meaning and fulfilment as a debutante i
Barbara
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this adaptation of the story. I first read this story as part of the Beards anthology and I really enjoyed it. My only drawback then was it ended too soon. When I heard the author and made some changes to the story and expanded it some, I knew I had to re-read the story. I am so happy that I did. The story still has it great historical charm but I felt more of a connection with the characters (both main and supporting). Our heroine is banned to her grandmother’s in Scotland because she dare ...more
Felicity Brandon
I previously had the pleasure of reading this story as a short in the Because Beards anthology, and recently enjoyed devouring Emmanuelle de Maupassant's updated version!
I love the sensual, luscious tone of the narrative - its elegance is rich and absorbing, and draws the reader into the romance of the time and environment. The geographic and historical descriptions are amazing; adding an authenticity to Ophelia's burgeoning romantic feelings for Hamish.
So, why only four stars, and not five? Th
Darsie
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Difficult to imagine a 1920's debutante enjoying a long sojourn tucked away in the highlands of Scotland.

But it seems that Ophelia is a rare girl who is happy to eschew the "delights" of the season in London and more than willing to get off the marriage track.

I liked that Ophelia was a little different. Behind her well bred and polite veneer, is a young woman desperate to explore life and unwilling to settle for the first limp aristocrat who pops the question.

What she finds in Scotland is breat
Sara
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Roaring 20's Romance

This was actually an entertaining book about a young debutante girl who is sent to live with her grandmother due to refusing to marry the husband her parents selected. In Scotland, not only does she falls in love with the scenery and the residents of the castle, she eventually falls madly in love with Hamish, the estate manager. I felt sad for Ophelia in certain circumstances when she was ignored by Hamish and he was in a serious relationship with the sex obsessed Felicite
Emmalg
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly good

What a silly girl Ophelia is at the start of the book - yet her behavior as a young woman is uncomfortably familiar!
I usually prefer to have romance in a book and find gratuitous sex off putting. Somehow de Maupassant manages to write the more erotic scenes without the usual trite feeling, they feel natural and characters are sufficiently developed to carry it off. I don't think I've read erotic scenes that flow as smoothly since the oft mentioned Lady Chatterley's Lover.
I woul
J.R. James
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Richly drawn characters and lush prose set the scene for indecorous romps 1920s style with language that lends authenticity to this period piece, which focuses on Ophelia, a young woman of breeding, who eschews the season in London, the round of debutante balls, and the attention of a rather unattractive suitor to whom her mother wishes her to become betrothed, and is banished to an isolated castle in Scotland to stay with an elderly aunt so that she might see sense.
Here, amongst a somewhat Boh
Terri Oconnell
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A neat trip to the highlands

Where can I find my Scottish man in a kilt? This was a action packed fun filled trip to the highlands with a handful of love stories thrown in for good measure. A heroine finding her place in the world and learning sometimes you just have to have a leap of faith. The writing is so clear and makes everything come alive from the characters to the highlands themselves.
Ian D.
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful romance with some naughty bits

Rather delightful story, with an “old-fashioned” feeling to the writing. No hugely dramatic moments, or brooding tension, but more than enough to entertain me, and keep me interested and reading on. Emmanuelle paints a very plausible picture of life in a big rural house in Scotland in the 1920’s, and does so while giving us an entertaining love story. And a love story with some rather teasing naughty bits!
OhWell
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly enjoyable. Good writing, distinctive characters (a shout-out to Sir Hector who had the best lines!), and a plot set out in the 20's, a time period I don't often read about. My reservations relate to the romance aspect. There is lust on both sides and infatuation on one, but someone needs to knock some sense into the male MC.
Susan
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful tale of Scottish Folk

The characters in this book are very interesting, and some are very eccentric. The author take time, letting the reader get to know the characters while at the same time keeping the storylines moving.

Though it takes place in 1928, in some ways it could take place in modern times. I really enjoyed the storylines and look forward to reading more books by the author.

I received a free ebook for an honest review.
Ria Restrepo
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, historical
I first had the pleasure of reading Emmanuelle de Maupassant's "Highland Pursuits" as a short erotic story that appeared in the Because Beards anthology to benefit The Movember Foundation, a charity supporting prostate cancer research and treatment.

Although I really enjoyed the story, it felt a little unfinished, so I was excited that Emmanuelle developed it into a novella. While the earlier version was more erotic in nature, this version focuses more on romance with a delicious sensuality. Trut
Jane Mercer
A light short read (160 pages)
Lady Ophelia is sent to her grandmothers (Lady Morag ) home in Scotland as punishment for turning down a suitor.
Once there she meets a number of definite characters, the movie moghul and his starlet wife the lecherous french Count and his gorgeous half sister, Felicite.
And Hamish, nephew of Lady Morag's companion, who Ophelia falls in love with.
Hamish however has an understanding with Felicite, the Count making a bee line for Ophelia.
How everything falls into place
  • The Velvet Chair (Velvet Lies #1, The Pony Tales #7)
  • Because Beards
  • Helpless (Belial's Disciples, #1)
  • Broken (Insatiable #1)
  • Her Marine Daddy (American Alphas, #1)
  • The Wicked Godmother (A House for the Season, #3)
  • My Dom (Boston Doms #1)
  • Miss Lacey's Last Fling
  • Whisper of Jasmine (City of Jasmine, #0.5)
  • Courting Scandal (Fairchild, #3)
  • Ariel's Dangerous Liaisons: The Erotic Wonders of a Super Heroic Woman
  • For Pemberley: A Pride & Prejudice Novella
  • Star Spangled Summer (Penny Parrish, #1)
  • Passion's Exile (Medieval Outlaws, #2)
  • A Grand Race (Sutton Family, #3)
  • The Mists of Glen Strae (Highland Ballad #2)
  • Bargain with the Devil
  • Bewitched
Emmanuelle writes the glitteringly erotic, the Gothic, the comedic and the wry.

* She invites you to join her on Facebook, at https://www.facebook.com/groups/36358...
* Subscribe to her newsletter for exclusive offers and first alerts of sales and giveaways - https://my.sendinblue.com/users/subsc...

Emmanuelle's Books - available from Amazon - viewAuthor.at/EmdeM
* Her 'Cautionary Tales' are inspired

Highlands (2 books)
  • Highland Christmas
“We are each the author of our own story. No matter the past, we compose today’s pages. The trick is in deciding what you wish to write upon them.” 0 likes