Start by marking “Chop Shop” as Want to Read:

Chop Shop

Amber Hawthorne and Jolene Morris, business partners and roommates at the Hawthorne Funeral Home, are drowning in debt. People are complaining about the makeup jobs they're giving deceased loved ones--the word clownish has been used--and both young women have a little trouble keeping their partying habits in line.

When they start selling body parts on the black market to k
256 pages
Published June 2019 by Flame Tree Press

To ask other readers questions about Chop Shop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chop Shop

Tracy Robinson
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a lightning quick read for me. The action is paced well and I really dug the mafia vibe throughout. Characters are decently developed but I’ll get into that more shortly.

There are three protagonists in this book; Frank is by far my favorite. A doctor gone bad just trying to make ends meet and perhaps reconnect with his daughter. I felt bad for the guy! The two girls at the funeral home - I think I needed more build up of their relationship in order to make what happens towards the end
OutlawPoet
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it

And now I need some oxygen...

**********************************

I don’t even know where to start with this one. You’ve got violence, general gruesomeness, the kind of funny-but-trashy people you see on a daytime talk show, mobsters, drug dealers, and some completely over-the-top situations that ramp up and up until you simply can’t see a way out for our characters – whew!

And it’s fun.

Even as I was stunned into a sort of disbelief, I was smiling. Every time you think the author isn’t going to tak
Toni | Dark Reads
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Rounded up to 5 Stars

You know when a book takes you completely by surprise? Well Chop Shop was one of those books for me. This is easily one of my favourite reads so far this year.

It reminded me of those early Guy Ritchie Crime Comedies (Lock Stock and Snatch – two of my favorite movies) with an extra helping of gore, awesome!

Full review here - http://darkreads.blog/2019/06/18/blog...
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
When I first started reading "Chop Shop," I had no idea what was waiting for me. What I discovered was fast-paced thriller that leaves the reader little time to breath before the next big thing happens.

Frank Goode runs an emergency room for questionable characters from his dining room after losing his medical license and going to prison for his illegal activities in a Minnesota clinic. One night Frank helps a young lady associated with a local crime organization, and has no idea how much he'll c
peggy
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG WHAT A READ !!!!!!
This book had me hooked from the first to the last page.
Horror, blood and gore, humour and such a brilliant storyline. Did I mention illegal body and organ harvesting. Be warned this book is not for the squeamish. I LOVED IT
An easy five stars and so Highly Recommended.
I would like to thank the author, Flame Tree Press and Netgalley for the ARC in return for giving an honest review.
Fungi From Yuggoth
CHOP SHOP I term Minnesota noir crime/horror. In this novel the horror derives from man's inhumanity to man, neatly balanced by human goodness, as exemplified by several other characters. There's hardly a winner here, unless it's poetic justice, but there is substantial redemption, also demonstrated by several characters. Be prepared for gore, and to have your heartstrings wrenched.
Keith Chawgo
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Post’s novel Chop Shop is one of those stories where everything is thrown in and it will either work or be a disastrous concoction. We have a cast of highly unlikable characters bar one, people who are really quite shallow and self centred wrapped up in the world of organised crime or get rich schemes. You also have a plot that is dangerously spinning out of control and you are left with a fun page turning interesting and enjoyable gangster hard core thriller that hurls you towards it traumatic ...more
Kelly Van Damme
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Meet Frank. Frank used to be an upstanding citizen, a doctor, married with a daughter, life was good. And then things went to shit and now Frank is… well, Frank is lots of things but to be calling him an upstanding citizen at this point would be a stretch. Fresh out of prison, Frank is trying to make a living as a back-alley surgeon. Got an injury, like a bullet wound, that’s a bit dodgy so you don’t want anyone to find out about it, so you can’t go to the hospital? Frank’s your man! Things are ...more
Lel Budge
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anne-cater
Frank works in an organic, health food grocery store….it’s the only work he could get after losing his medical license and spending two years in jail……he needs a job to keep the IRS happy…….but he has another job, he’s a backstreet doctor, from performing STD blood tests and terminations to removing bullets and stitching up knife wounds…until that is, Simone arrives and unleashes all sorts of trouble…..!

Jolene and Amber, run a funeral home, but with mounting debts, a penchant for partying and co
MarylineD
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Chop Shop" by Andrew Post.

I loved it! I didn't expect it to be funny but it was really entertaining and I enjoyed it!
I was into it from the start!
A well written crime thriller full of suspense that is also funny! Well developed story and interesting characters.

Warning : graphic at times.

I must say the title is really well chosen as well!

Thank you to NetGalley and Flame Tree Press for the ARC of this book. This is my honest review. All opinions are my own.
Patty
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book as an ARC.

THIS WAS A FUN BOOK.

I love this book! It has everything a book-loving girl could ever want: gushing, squirting blood; dead bodies; dismemberment; necrophilia; and gobs of delicious dark humor.

From the description above, you’d think this is a horror book. But for me it’s more; it’s a real genre-bender.

• It’s crime (Russian and Italian Mafias, people doing bad things)
• It’s mystery (who is Rhino, what is the Red Market?)
• It’s humor (hyperbole, sarcasm, dark-dark
Amber DuBois
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.

This book was a lot. There were a lot of different plot lines and characters that all converged nicely into one story. It was fast paced and you're tossed into the action immediately, which I always love. Some of the characters were quite likeable and you definitely ended up rooting for them, and some of the characters were NOT likeable--but fortunately they mostly end up dead.

Except Cornelius. My dude, get a different hobby.

The pla
Melissa
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I’m not sure what I just read but it was wild from start to finish, and highly enjoyable. I couldn’t put the book down.

There are actually 3 different stories in this book, but they all connect after a while.

I enjoyed this book immensely. Equal parts humorous and gross. Definitely recommend this book.
Suzy Michael
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-books
*I was given a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for my fair and honest review*

Chop Shop by Andrew Post is an over the top, violent, gory ride in the most fantastic way! This book is not for the squeamish, but even if you are, still try out this book! Mobsters, violence, gore, black market body harvesting, necrophilia, drug dealers! What more do you need for a bloody, fun adventure?!

Chop Shop centers around three individuals- Frank, a disgraced surgeon who now is a back alley doctor
Becca
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley & Flame Tree Press for providing me with an e-ARC of Chop Shop by Andrew Post in exchange for an honest review.

Content Warning: Abortion, Homophobic & Racist Slurs, Suicide.

Not to be dramatic, but I never wanted Chop Shop by Andrew Post to end. I laughed & stayed on the edge of my seat throughout the 200 & so pages of this Mafia-goodness. Chop Shop was such a fun & fast-paced adventure & I officially want more of whatever Andrew Post has to offer.

Ch
Yolanda Sfetsos
This is the last Flame Tree Press ARC left on my pile, so I was really looking foward to checking it out. As soon as I started, I was dragged right into the insane activity.

Frank used to be a doctor before he spent time in jail. Now he's still a doctor, but works out of his shabby home and patches up people skirting the more dangerous underbelly of society.

Jolene and Amber run a funeral home, but between their partying and loose business practices, they're struggling to keep the business afloat.
Lel Budge
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Dorie
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
by Andrew Post
2019
Flame Tree
4.0 / 5.0

Amber and Jolene, roommates and business partners of the Hawthorne Funeral Home need to find a way out of their debt at the funeral home or risk losing it. Former mob doctor, Frank Goode provides abortions and other medical procedures in the rear of his grocery store. When Frank needs to dispose of a body, he contacts Amber and Jolene who cant pass up the chance of making the huge sun offered. They deliver the parts to Rhino, a man connected to bod
Danielle Kemp
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was morbidly hilarious! The story is very well written, and very engaging. The main characters were very believable, and I found myself becoming invested in their story. I also found myself laughing hysterically at all the dark humour, which was a great contrast to the nail-biting suspense in the last half of the novel. This is definitely one of my favourite horror-thrillers of all time.
Danielle Kemp
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jonathan Tripp
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Flame Tree Press I was able to read this ARC. First book by Andrew and I loved it from page one. Dialogue is amazing and the story wasn't what I expected at all. I absolutely loved it. It's bloody fun and a hell of a good time. It's fanfuckingtastic actually. 5 star review, Tripp says check it out!
Jun 12, 2019 added it
Shelves: crime
Firstly, thanks to Netgalley, the author and publishers for a free advance copy of this book in return for an honest review.

Wow, what a great concept. This book is full of drama and bloody scenes, but also has a liberal sprinkling of humour, quirky characters and almost slapstick situations.

There are 2 main angles happening here. One one side, we have a disgraced surgeon who has had to resort to back alley surgery patching up criminals and prostitutes who can't go to a hospital. On the other, we
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Lou Jacobs
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pulp fiction meets Sam Peckinpah .... 3 worlds collide into a giant fireball! Andrew Post crafts a tour de force of black humor .. laced with wonderful gratuitous violence and gore. The main protagonist is Frank Goode ... disgraced surgeon back from prison but yet continuing to ply his trade in his make-shift dining room operating room. After all he still follows the Hippocratic oath and wants to save and fix all comers. To satisfy the taxman he maintains a legitimate job at Jerry's Organic Gro ...more
Jessi Jetter
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review of this book. Thank you Netgalley and Andrew Post.

Chop Shop, where to start? Let’s start with the title and cover. Talk about an attention grabber! Right away, I thought that this book looked cool. Never judge a book by its cover, except when the cover is cool, am I right?! And that blurb: “Sometimes running a business can cost an arm and a leg. Literally.” Sign me on up!

I started this book after dragging through a boring read, so I was sort o
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of Chop Shop by Andrew Post in exchange for an honest review.

What do you get when you have a disgraced Doctor fresh out of prison running an illegal medical clinic from his dining room, two young women trying to run a Funeral Home while struggling to stay ahead of creditors, feuding Italian and Russian Mafia families and a black market for human body parts?

You have a book that is thrilling from start to finish. Full of interesting characters with a lot of surprises along the w
Kevin Whitten
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
This was a good break from traditional horror for me. There were no ghosts, zombies, etc... Just good old fashioned seedy crime. People trying to stand on their last leg (ahem), just trying to get by - trying to find a way out of the spiraling cycle of debt, conviction, alcoholism. Deeper and deeper the spiral goes. A mafia doctor gets pulled into a body parts trafficking scheme along with two young funeral directors/morticians. It's a wild ride for sure, and it was probably a 5 star read for me ...more
Roger Bailey
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quentin Tarantino meets the Sopranos. Post creates a page turner here involving a disgraced doctor fixing up gangsters and two women who run a failing funeral home who get into black market body part dealing. Throw in dueling monsters in the mix.  It sounds like there's a lot going on, and there is, but Post manages the chaos brilliantly.

While not for the faint of heart, there is gore aplenty, if the plot sounds interesting to you, you'll get everything you hoped for and more.
----
I received an
Loraine Philliban
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andrew Post writes a good narrative and manages
to hook his readers in easily.
This is a tongue in cheek murder/gangster novel with plenty of blood and gore for those who enjoy it.
Jolene and Amber are owners of a funeral parlour but due to their partying lifestyle their business is floundering and debts are mounting up.
They get roped into black market dealing of human body parts, unfortunately the first delivery goes wrong and has an overwhelming effect on their lives. How far will they go to
Heather Bennett
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chop Shop is a crazy and unique read. I couldn't put it down and I am amazed the author really pulled this off. I would read more from this daring author.
Andrew Post is the author of CHOP SHOP, AFTERTASTE, RUSTED HEROES, THE SIREN HOUSE, SIRED BY STONE, FABRICK, and KNUCKLEDUSTER.