Start by marking “The Silent Wife” as Want to Read:
The Silent Wife

The Silent Wife

Would you risk everything for the man you loved? Even if you knew he'd done something terrible?

Lara’s life looks perfect on the surface. Gorgeous doting husband Massimo, sweet little son Sandro and the perfect home. Lara knows something about Massimo. Something she can’t tell anyone else or everything Massimo has worked so hard for will be destroyed: his job, their reputat
Published February 24th 2017 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about The Silent Wife, please sign up.
Elbie With help from these comments I had to come up with questions for my book club, so with help from these comments I came up with these...
“The Silent…more
“The Silent Wife” -Kerry Fisher

The abuse from the stepdaughter was intense, how long is too long to put up with that?
Would you have handled the young stepdaughter differently?
Do you think Maggie should have thrown out the gold box?
What would have happened if she didn't?

When the stepdaughter tore apart Maggie’s sewing room what did you feel?
What would you have done?

It was mentioned that Lara’s father lived with them for a short period in the room where she was cleaning the windows to destress. She describes the view from there being Caitlyn and Nico’s bedroom. Did you then laterrealize then that that is how her father knew about the affair? And in his dementia, he kept THAT memory.

Anna always felt her sons were perfect, has anyone had an experience with a mother in law like her, or do you know someone like that?

Did you think it sad that there were so few friends involved in the story and it was kept so tightly with just the family?(less)
Laurie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Sue
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THE SILENT WIFE by Kerry Fisher was previously titled The Secrets of Second Wives. I loved this book. It is the story of two women who are second wives of two brothers in an Italian family. This novel explores the psychological issues of second marriages, and the hardships and darker sides of a marriage. The novel is set in 2016, in the Brighton area of the UK.

“Lara’s life looks perfect on the surface. Gorgeous doting husband Massimo, sweet little son Sandro and the perfect home. Lara knows some
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
The Silent Wife by Kerry Fisher was previously called 'Secrets of Second Wives', a title I much prefer.

Be careful what you wish for - you may get it. This is certainly true of Maggie, a woman from a less than desirable background; growing up on a council estate, a single mother, the daughter of single mother. All she has ever wanted is to be part of a close family, one of those families that do everything together, that support each other. When Nico asks her to marry him, she believes that this
Donna
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my, where do I begin ?!?!
I absolutely loved this book!! You know it's an extraordinary story, when you don't want it to end. The characters are so well presented that you actually feel you are part of the family - some you love, some that irritate you, others that make you laugh while still others you want to scream at. I enjoyed each character for their own unique qualities but my favorite was Beryl. She was so down to earth, funny and sarcastically outspoken but not in brutal way. - - very
Elaine
What a great, very different, novel this is! Welcome to the Farinelli family from Brighton - it has a great collection of characters who are brought to life in the pages of this story, some of whom you’ll love but others you’ll definitely not!

There’s the domineering, strident Italian Mama, a real matriarchal character and the mother of two sons, Massimo and Nico. Both sons have married for the second time and the story is related from the points of views of their second wives, Lara and Maggie. L
Sarah Joint
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written and heart-wrenching. The ending left tears in my eyes. I was completely engrossed in this book and couldn't stop turning pages. It's a very absorbing story about love and family. A reminder that the "perfect couple" (you know the one) you envy isn't always as perfect as they seem. That overly affectionate husband you wish your own would take clues from may be hiding a dark side. And even though you yourself may be envious of someone else's relationship, just because your own ...more
Petra
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
In The Silent Wife (or 'The Secrets of Second Wives' as it was formerly called, and which btw I prefer) Kerry Fisher explores the dynamics of second marriages. She looks at the complicated relationships with step-children, the in-laws, and the regular reminders of the wives/mothers who were first. Told in the alternating voices of Maggie and Lara, this was a poignant story of what women are prepared to go through for their families.
Maggie married Nico after his wife Caitlin died. Nico has a tee
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
The Silent Wife was a really exciting and enjoyable read. As at today (Sunday 9th April 2017) this book is sitting in #1 spot for family sagas on Amazon UK and #2 in others. It's a bestseller! This book really has some characters that make the book strong - those that are in the light, and those that live in the dark and those that like to fool you and fluctuate between the two.

A new wife is trying to be accepted into a large close-knit family with a dominating, cold dominating elderly Mother a
Eva
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My reviews can also be found at www.noveldeelights.com

Can a review consist of just some incoherent gibberish to show how much you’ve loved a book? How about a Kermit flail? No? Because quite frankly, I’m not at all sure how I’m supposed to put into words the emotional rollercoaster I’ve been on following this story of a dysfunctional and slightly cuckoo family.

It’s all incredibly relatable. Who hasn’t had to play happy families when sticking a fork in your eye sounds way more fun? Who hasn’t may
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
This was an interesting read for me. Prior to reading, I didn't know whether it would be more of a thriller versus mystery or suspense. I would say that this novel leans more towards the side of mystery and suspense (even if some of the events are horrific).

One thing that I found especially difficult while reading was reading details surrounding Lara's life. I think this element of the novel will be difficult to read for quite a few people and features triggers for abuse (physical, emotional, an
Louise Wilson
Feb 14, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. The Silent Wife was formerly called The Secrets of Second Wife's .

On the surface Lara's life looks perfect. Perfect husband Massimo. Perfect son Sandro. Lara knows something about Massimo. A secret she can never share.

Maggie is married to Nico. Nico is Massimo's brother. Nico has a daughter from his first marriage. Maggie discovers a letter in the attic which reveals a shocking secret.

This is an emotional roller coaster to read. Gripping in parts with some good characters. Remember an
G.J.
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Well I am afraid this was nothing like I had hoped it would be ! Gripping ? Emotional ? Unexpected twists ? Nope, sorry, it was a decent family saga type book , nothing more in my view. The characters, especially the men, were stereotypes and the plot had more holes than a Swiss cheese !
Some of the writing was good which is why I have given it 3 stars.
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Bookouture and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. Review to follow.
Joanne Robertson
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I do love a twisty family drama, one full of secrets and lies that you read with just the slightest tinge of smugness as you can see what is about to happen miles before our poor characters do. But Kerry Fisher always managed to pull something delectably different out of the bag and here she managed to throw a few curveballs, keeping us in our toes right to the very end!

The days of the traditional mum, dad and their 2.4 children have long gone now and family dynamics have changed dramatically du
Lucy Walker
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book wasn't gripping, or a page-turner, it was tedious. I kept going because it promised "a twist that would take (my) breath away" but I'm still not sure what the twist was.

Apart from the lack of real drama there were some lazy inconsistencies: a character speaking in the first person who was apparently "thick" and "uneducated" but who used words like 'alacrity'; a regional swimming final that saw Brighton compete against Newcastle...

I don't know if this was rushed out to press in time fo
Debbie
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely awesome read! And yes, it's one of those you cannot put down and won't want to put down. The farther I got into the book, the more I was into the book.

The Farinelli's have lived on the same street for years. Their mother, Anna, lives in the childhood home alone. While the oldest brother, Massimo, lives with his second wife of 10 years, Lara, and their child Sandro next door to his youngest brother, Nico. Massimo is divorced from his first wife who did not want children. Nico is curren
Darcie Boleyn
Kerry Fisher’s writing always draws me in from the first page and grips me until the last. I need to clear my schedule before starting one of her books because I know I won’t want to put it down.
The Silent Wife is absolutely fabulous! It’s about families and the complicated webs that exist within them, about how people lie to protect themselves and others. I loved the way that Ms Fisher slowly revealed the family’s secrets and how she created such real and raw emotion along the way. The female c
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm, Myrtle Beach
The Silent Wife wasn't bad, wasn't great, it was just OK.

The story was decent, the writing a little less than decent, but it was a quick read with good, though infuriating, characters.

I was on the fence about whether to read this or not, but it has such a high rating, I went for it. Eh, I kind of wish I hadn't bothered.

I'd like to give it a 2.5, but since we can only do whole number ratings, I rounded it up to 3 because I liked it more than I didn't.
Meggy
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it

All families are crazy. This is what my great-grandmother used to say. Boy did she was right! Families are tricky, you are handled carefully weaved small threads, connections to all those people that share your name and blood – or not, and those little bonds get tangled, they loosen, they get older, they keep messing with your head. Families are a blessing. But families can also be a curse!

The Farinellis, a seemingly nice and happy big Italian family, know all about what a family is about. At le

Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Feb 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019
I was so disappointed with this book it has been on my want to read list for a while. I found a copy and brought it home to read and I could not read it. As I was reading it there was no editing done on this book it dawned on me it's self published and that's why I could not read it. Please know that I did not read it for long and had to give up.
Payton (Payton's Book Thoughts)
For the full review, please visit paytonsbookthoughts.wordpress.com

As you can see from my rating, this book was just ok for me. It definitely had a lot of potential because of the subject matter, but it just never got too exciting to read. It actually took me much longer to read this book than I first anticipated. To be completely honest, I was a little disappointed in this book.

The story is told from two alternating perspectives of Maggie and Lara. Both of who are second marriages for the two F
Nikki ღ Navareus

***FIVE STARS!***

This story sucked me in from the very first page and kept me glued until the ending. Real life was being a pain and kept me from reading straight through in one sitting, but if I hadn't been so crazy busy, I would have never put this baby down. Maggie was one of my most favorite heroines ever. She was sweet, compassionate, funny, and her inner monologues had me laughing my ass off. I adored Maggie's mother too-she was such a force of nature! Maggie put up with so much shit from
Sarah MacIntyre
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! My only disappointment is that I have finished it and have envy of others who will be reading it soon. Definitely darker than previous books but still full of the subtle, wicked humour that I love from Kerry Fisher. Characters are so well presented you feel you are there with the Farinelli's. Like any family a few to love, some to irritate and a one or two to dislike. Secrets that can destroy and and lots of family tensions from this Italian family with the matriarch at the he ...more
Knewmyer
Jan 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle, bookclub, 2018
Excruciatingly mind-numbing and boring. I would not have finished this if it weren't a book club read. Just awful, a soap opera. I thought it was a thriller or that something would actually happen. Way too many metaphors. smh.
Heidi
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I accidentally stumbled across The Silent Wife when browsing Amazon’s monthly deals, and ordered it on Audible for my upcoming holiday. It turned out to be one of those random purchases which worked in my favour, as the story and characters soon drew me in.

This is a slow burning drama, focusing on family and husband-wife relationships, and there were a few intriguing dynamics being explored here. Since I was the same age as Francesca when my mother died and my father married again, I could draw
Kathryn in FL
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kerry Fisher has done excellent research and delivery on a topic that has been on the periphery of modern culture for way to long -assault within the family (physical, verbal and sexual). She treads cautiously and while serious, it seemed downplayed (though that might be based on my own perceptions and experiences). More importantly, this is about secrets that are kept within a family and the traps of pride, fear and denial can keep the secrets from being exposed.

For the most part, her character
Ana

Originally posted on This Chick Reads

4.5/5

'The Silent Wife' is the latest book by Kerry Fisher and one I've been so excited about. Back in 2015 I read Kerry's book 'The Island Escape' and immediately fell in love with her writing, the way she explores friendship and made me recognize parts of myself in both of her main characters. Needless to say then that I had such high hopes for 'The Silent Wife' and now after I've read it, I can say I wasn't disappointed.

As I'm already mentioning Kerry's bo
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Bookouture can seem to do no wrong. I have yet to read a book published by them that I didn't like. My bookheart is full and happy!

This contemporary book is told through the eyes of two women. Maggie, newly married to Nico and competing with his first wife who passed away only a couple years ago. Her integration into his family is not going as well as she would have liked. Lara, married to Nico's brother, Massimo, is quiet, withdrawn and a prisoner in her own marriage. However, on the surface,
Abbie
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: february-2017
Do you ever really know what goes on within a marriage?

I eagerly anticipated reading The Silent Wife by Kerry Fisher after really enjoying her previous novel, After The Lie. There is always a little trepidation in reading the latest novel by an author you have previously enjoyed as you hope it will live up to the expectations you have. I am pleased to say that Fisher has delivered again with an enthralling book that is unputdownable.

Told in first person narrative by the two main characters Maggi
Christine
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Christine by: Renita 5, Twitter
I read mainly thrillers, but I do like my change-of-pace contemporary fiction novels. I read Kerry Fisher’s After the Lie about a year ago and enjoyed it very much. Therefore, when The Silent Wife became available, it was a no-brainer for me to grab it.

The Silent Wife is a wonderful read. It is a terrific mix of emotion laced with humor. The main thrust of the story is the rocky road traveled by those thrust into a blended family situation. The field turns out to be even more treacherous when t
Betty
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received an advance review copy of this book courtesy of Netgalley and Bookouture.

Shortly before publication day rolled around, this book—previously titled The Secrets of Second Wives— was given a makeover. While I didn't dislike the original title and cover image, I have to agree that the changes were for the best. The new cover image is captivating; the new title succinct and just a bit mysterious.

I've come to expect characters who feel authentic and stay true to their roles in Fisher's book
Discussion Questions Help Pleeeeeese 1 23 Nov 12, 2017 12:11AM

• The Runaway Countess
  • Silent Lies
  • Unconditional
  • Art of Forgiveness (Stern Family Saga, #2)
  • Missing Pieces
  • 11 Missed Calls
  • Hush
  • A Mother's Story (No Greater Love, #7)
  • What She Never Told Me
  • Orange Moon: A Fiction Novel
  • The Summer of Secrets
  • A Mother's Confession
  • The Affair
“My wedding day took place on a non-descript afternoon in the middle of January, well away from any big deal occasions like Christmas or Valentine’s Day. I was thirty-five and I’d never even lived with a man before. Not because I was the last nun in the convent – too late to pull that stunt with my ten-year-old son, Sam, in tow – but because I was addicted to wrong ’uns. The sort of men who would have dads bundling their daughters into basements and throwing burning oil out of the top window. But” 1 likes
“to” 1 likes