Start by marking “Tumble & Blue” as Want to Read:
Tumble & Blue

Tumble & Blue

The magic-infused story of a golden gator, two cursed kids, and how they take their destinies into their own hands.

When the red moon rises over the heart of the Okefenokee swamp, legend says that the mysterious golden gator Munch will grant good luck to the poor soul foolish enough to face him.

But in 1817, when TWO fools reach him at the same time, the night’s fate is spli
Published August 29th 2017 by Penguin Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Tumble & Blue, please sign up.
Sydney Definitely! The book had such an interesting plot with so many different twists!

Cassie Beasley
Mar 28, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
No rating from me for obvious reasons. ;)

Tumble & Blue is that story I've been talking about forever. It's about friendship and fate and family. It's about being a hero when all the odds are stacked against you. And, of course, it's about an alligator named Munch.

I'm so glad that it will be out in the world soon. Happy reading!
Rana
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Clear middle-grade but with all the points that I want in middle-grade: sweet, easy, but with a depth beyond its years. Would love to read an adult story set in this world.
Michele Knott
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cassie Beasley has just shown us that she is the real deal. Her books weave a story that is instantly timeless and new. She has a way of making her characters enter your heart and nestle inside. Gorgeously written, beautiful story.
The Reading Countess
It must be tough to put a second book out into the world when your first baby was on the New York Times bestseller's list and earned numerous accolades and state awards. I wouldn't know (though secretly, I long to). But somehow Cassie Beasley managed to place another major winner squarely into our hands and hearts. Wow. Readers will fall in love with Tumble and Blue, two unlikely friends with the most impossible of problems. And the alligator. Let's not forget the alligator. Look for Tumble and ...more
Ash Van
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book grabbed my attention from front to finish, with a unique magical element and rich southern setting full of zany family. Recommend highly!
Holly McGhee
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
On behalf of Marshall Steiner, age 12, a perfect five. He loved it, Cassie!! Blew through it in two days. You're two for two with him now. xox
Robert Beatty
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A nice Southern-style story.
Joanne Kelleher
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5
I loved Circus Mirandus, and I was so excited to read this book. Unfortunately, I did not like it nearly as much. As I read, I kept looking for the things I had loved about Circus Mirandus, and while I found some similarities (unlikely boy-girl friendship, grandparent in trouble, a magical element, a seemingly impossible and mysterious feat to be accomplished, a selfless act) they didn't gel in a way that made me care about the outcome.
Blue is dropped off for the summer at his grandmother's
Thomas Bell
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very good book and a very fun read. However, the weird ideas behind the plot reminded me of Greek classics and the fight between humans and fate. And, as you recall from plays like Oedipus Rex for example, fate always wins. In our example, fate is being offered during the red crescent moon by a giant golden were-alligator. Okay...

Anyway, we have a large family where everyone has some particular 'fate.' Some are easier to deal with than others. Our poor hero, Blue, has a fate which is
iamnotabookworm
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, netgalley
I signed up for this book because the title is so cute. Like always, it's the title that gets us first, right? Then the blurb was interesting enough so I went ahead and signed up for this on Netgalley.

Tumble and Blue sounded like a cute love story to me. But it's not really a love story. It's more of friendship and finding or forging your own path of destiny. Tumble and Blue in this story are teenagers who are both very unfortunate, because they are unlucky in some things in life. And it's not j
Erin Moulton
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exquisitely written sophomore novel by Cassie Beasley. Incredibly rich characters seek their fates (and a golden alligator named Munch) under the bloodred moon. I found myself giggling at the delightful quirks of the Montgomery Family, so unique and yet so familiar. And valiant Tumble is the book's hero in her own right. But, oh, the lore. How I loved the story's lore and the backdrop of the Okefenokee Swamp.

An evocative novel, seamlessly written.
Scott Fillner
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What I have come to hope from Cassie Beasley can be found in Tumble & Blue. It is a magical story set in the swamps of the Deep South. Cassie has a talent of building strong, relatable characters who move a story in a fun, purposeful way.

I cannot wait until readers are able to meet Tumble &a Blue this Fall.
Desirée Whittington
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Aww this one was really cute. I love it.
Jeanne25
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I recently read Circus Mirandus and it immediately became one of my favorite books. For me, it is right up there with the Thief of Always by Clive Barker. Therefore I HAD to read Tumble and Blue. I will say right off that it didn't quite have the "magic" that I felt in Circus Mirandus but I did enjoy the direction that it took me. I am a sucker for modern fables, stories created with a simplicity and subtle charm. I really enjoyed the dynamics of the characters. I think there was more of that in ...more
Melanie Dulaney
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
(Review of digital download from Edelweiss Above the Treeline)Tumble & Blue has a unique plot that will appeal to 5th-7th graders who want a bit of action/adventure mixed into their magic and mystery. The story spins around the Montgomery family, a tale about a curse and blessing dispensing golden alligator, and two kids just trying to make their lives count for something. Blue, abandoned by his father to live with his odd family, and Tumble/Lily, a girl with a secret who yearns to be a hero ...more
Linda
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just as many have written, Tumble & Blue is a delightful story. It's all based on a mysterious legend including families near the Okefenokee Swamp. This one includes a red moon rising and a golden gator who will grant good luck to the brave soul who faces him. Unfortunately, two different families are represented and the end result is disaster but not for all. Some are blessed, some cursed!
Eventually, it's up to two young people, Tumble & Blue, who must solve the questions that fate ha
Winter
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was such a sweet read, like finding the Nancy Drew books as a child all over again. Two children following clues to a grand summer adventure that could change their lives is one of my favourite kinds of stories. In fact, the whole book was magical... until the end. Unfortunately, the ending was so vague as to be annoying and forgetful. I suppose the author wanted to leave it open for a sequel since there is no such thing as a stand alone book anymore, but to have almost zero resolution to e ...more
Debbie Tanner
Loved this story about two kids who are struggling to make their way in the world while dealing with big issues in their families. There's a fun supernatural element with great opportunities to talk about the kinds of gifts we receive and how we make the most of our talents with our choices. I love Cassie Beasley's writing!
Katherine
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
First off: Have you seen that cover? One of the best covers I've seen this year (and I've seen a lot).
An enjoyable read. Full of life lessons, as are many of the books for kids this age.
Blue is a loser, literally: He is cursed with always losing any contest of skill. Tumble is trying to be a hero, but has a knack for getting in trouble and needing to be rescued. They get together and try to help each other. The plot revolves around friendship, getting back up when you're knocked down, beating t
Pat
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was the best story I’ve read in a long time. I am always impressed when a southern setting can make me feel at home. It has a charm and humor that is very reminiscent of Sheila Turnage’s stories. I hope we get to see Tumble and Blue in some other stories.
Evangeline
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure, humorous, magic
This was really fun. I've been in the mood for something light and cute, and this delivered. I loved how unique it felt. Sure, books have done curses before, but this curse was subtler and more creative! Big fan of this curse.
Patrick
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quite the story. Blue spending the summer with a crew of unusual relatives. But all he really wants his is sad. Tumble spending the summer with her parents trying to figure out her past and how to get a hero! Can't wait to share with my readers!
Emily Crowe
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adventure stories where friendship, loyalty, and stoutness of heart rule the day are my favorites. #hufflepuffforever
Leonard Kim
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Imaginative, as was Circus Mirandus. I liked this one better, though I did feel it was somewhat overlong and inefficient.
Lorraine
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I gave this book 4 stars because I listened to it. The audio version was very entertaining and I enjoyed it. It's a different kind of book than I usually read, and I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed reading it as much.
Brenda Kahn
Cassie Beasley's sophomore effort is an utter delight. I fell in love on page one and swallowed this nearly 400 page confection in nearly one gulp. Beautifully atmospheric, engaging, endearing characters, hilarious and satisfying.
Jill Cd
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I adored this chunky book and am reluctant to grab another book to read because it will be hard to live up to this one. A magical story of friendship, family life, and fate. The characters are so well defined you become part of the story. And Munch? Whoa, he is sinister or is he? This one is a winner.
Natalie Martinez
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
The pace of this book is slower than a slug on a hot summer night in Georgia
Debby
What a treat! I received this just in time to read it aloud to my 5th graders before the end of the year. It isn't easy to capture the attention of 10 and 11 year-olds with summer quickly approaching, but Tumble & Blue had no trouble. They loved it, as did I.
DaNae
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Creature of the Pines (The Unicorn Rescue Society, #1)
  • Inkling
  • The Adventures of a Girl Called Bicycle
  • Shouting at the Rain
  • Clayton Byrd Goes Underground
  • Saving Marty
  • The Adventurer's Guide to Successful Escapes
  • Tight
  • Race to the Bottom of the Sea
  • The Mad Wolf's Daughter (Mad Wolf's Daughter #1)
  • The First Rule of Punk
  • Beatrice Zinker, Upside Down Thinker
  • 24 Hours in Nowhere
  • Lions and Liars
  • The Cardboard Kingdom
  • Until Tomorrow, Mr. Marsworth
  • The Actual & Truthful Adventures of Becky Thatcher
  • Mary Anning's Curiosity
I'm the author of Circus Mirandus and Tumble & Blue (out August 2017!)

I love stories with a little bit of magic and a whole lot of heart.

If you're here because you've read my books, thank you so much. I can't tell you how much I appreciate every single one of my readers. Feel free to friend, follow, or message! It may take me a while, but I try to get back in touch with everyone.

Tumble &
“Sometimes being afraid of losing is worse than actually losing. And when it gets that bad, you've got to do something different. Even if it's a little crazy.” 1 likes
“Sometimes apologies work better after you've given people time and space to grow.” 1 likes