Start by marking “A Sister's Test” as Want to Read:
A Sister's Test

A Sister's Test (Sisters of Holmes County #2)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  1,977 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
A Sister's Test (Sisters of Holmes County, Book 2) ASIN: 1597899798
Hardcover, Book Club Edition, 288 pages
Published January 1st 2008 by Barbour Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Sister's Test, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Sister's Test

Margaret Chind
I'm really struggling with reading this series. This is the first (meaning this series) of Wanda Brunstetter for me to read and I'm just not sure what I think. I have read various authors of Amish Christian Fiction over the years, as well as many history books of the Amish dealing with my quilting addiction. I have never heard before of the Amish so often going to a Dentist, or Chiropractor, sure I've heard of them seeing a Doctor or go...more I'm really struggling with reading this series. Thi ...more
Jerry
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tragic, but touching.
mary Ethington
there were parts of the book that were better then others. The overall book I liked and I definitly wanted to see what happened. It didn't answer all my questions, so on to the next one.
Lorie
Mar 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish-fiction
TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Sit back with a warm cup of herbal tea and sink into the relaxing pleasures of a story from an Amish community, virtually insulated from the fast pace of modern life. Meet Ruth Hostettler and discover how even a cocoon of tradition cannot protect the Hostettler family from unjust evil in the world. Watch as generations of faith struggle to stand firm and one woman's dreams are put to the test.

My Review - I loved how this book played on the first book and it kind of just kept going. I can't wait
Becky
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It's a continuation of A Sister's Secret, so you should read them in order, or you'll be lost. We still don't know who is attacking Ruth's family, but I suspect it's the neighbors. I look forward to book three to see if they are guilty or not.
Ellen
Oct 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 2 of the Sisters of Holmes County Series ... since the books really do begin where the previous one ends, I suggest reading in order. Again, a very easy and quick read.
Kristin
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'A Sister's Test' is book two in the Sisters of Holmes County series
by Wanda E. Brunstetter. Given my less than steller review of book
one, 'A Sister's Secret', I was a little wary about reading this. I am
glad I gave it a chance, however. There are still a few qualities of
the book that I find annoying, such as repetitive explanations and
defining the Amish words in the text rather than utilizing a glossary.

This story follows the middle sister, Ruth and her speedy romance
and marriage to Martin. Wh
Molly Cline
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I listened to the unabridged edition of this on CD; With a mixture of Ms Brunstetter's good writing and Ms Nielsen's good narration this book grabs your attention and you don't want to not listen to it until your done. BUT make sure you have the next book on hand because this story doesn't end at this book and will continue with the next (according to the summaries of the other books)

As you read-listen to this book you fall in love with and become a part of each character; and that will take yo
Margaret Chind
I'm really struggling with reading this series. This is the first (meaning this series) of Wanda Brunstetter for me to read and I'm just not sure what I think. I have read various authors of Amish Christian Fiction over the years, as well as many history books of the Amish dealing with my quilting addiction. I have never heard before of the Amish so often going to a Dentist, or Chiropractor, sure I've heard of them seeing a Doctor or going to the hospital under extreme circumstances, but it is ...more
Jessica
The story follows Ruth, the middle daughter of the Hostettler family, as she is courting and then married to her beau. The plot continues where Book 1 left off with the attacks on the family still continuing by an unknown perpetrator.

I have to admit I peeked ahead in this one, but it was an accident–honest! I was just trying to see how many pages the story was without the ads, author bio, etc in the back of the book and I saw a detail that turns the story in a way I wasn’t expecting and didn’t w
Susan
I liked this one better than the first one. There's still some of the very basic dialog in it, especially in the beginning, but it's not as preachy as the first one. It doesn't feel as driven to force the moral on the reader...it's more natural. And of course as we get to know the characters better, it's more interesting to read. This one was quite a bit more...sad I guess. It was expected if you read the synopsis, but it didn't stop me from feeling a bit gutted. But all's well that ends well. L ...more
Victoria
This is a continuation of the first book in sharing the lives of three Amish sisters.

In the first book there have been several attacks and a lot of trying to figure out who is working these attacks out. If you were frustrated by the lack of getting these things figured out in the first book, that will continue in this book..

This book focuses more on Ruth, the middle sister who is kind and gentle. In the end of the first book she is building a friendship with Martin and is no longer with Luke. I
Mayda
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish, christian, romance
In this second novel in the Sisters of Holmes County series, acts of vandalism continue to plague Grace and her family. They take a deadly turn when the buggy in which Ruth and Martin are riding is rammed by a truck. The sheriff has no clues to the perpetrator and the vandalism continues. Tragedy seems to have moved in to stay in what was a peaceful Amish community. As the residents, Amish and English, pull together to offer support, it seems that a peaceful happiness remains elusive as bad thin ...more
Brenda
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish, christian
I found this book to be very suspenseful, because of the poorly written blurb on the back, you know something bad is going to happen and it does, several times in this book. One, the attacks that started in book one of this series A Sister's Secret, continue on throughout the series, two people die in this book, one is expected from the blurb on the back, we expect it so much in fact that it ruined the moment when it finally happens, would have been much better for it to have some as a surprise ...more
Abby
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was predictable and over-explained. The dialogue was unnatural. Every time there was an Amish Pennsylvania Dutch word, "kinner" for instance, it was repeated by the next character in English. Honestly, we can all figure out that kinner means kids, if not from the word itself, then from the context. Dialogue was also used to explain the plot a lot, which got boring very quickly. I liked the characters themselves for the most part, and the basic idea was good, but it was not exactly enjo ...more
Gail
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
joyce lynn
Apr 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW!!!

and talk about, "when it rains it pours", and/or "feast or famine"?!?!?!

i can identify w/ the characters in this book, even more so than the ones in the first book of this series. unfortunately, i can NOT say that i handled it any better than them! in fact, i don't think i did so even as well as them. %(

thankfully, tho, our God is an awesome God, and He knows our heart, so ...

a GREAT testimony to hope, and forgivenss, and the power of prayer, and faith, and strength, and ...

patricia
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Sister's Test picks up the story of three Amish sisters. Ruth and Marvin are newly weds when a tragedy befalls them on Christmas eve. Someone rams their buggy and Marvin is gone and Ruth's greatest dream is destroyed. The attacks are continuing with Grace believing it is Gary and Ruth it is her former suitor Luke. Ruth 's healing takes a long while but can she forgive? Willshe find the one thing she has always wanted to be and do? Wanda E. Brunstetter keeps you wanting to know who the is behin ...more
Frances Cavallo
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoyed this series...I really kept this book...wherever I went...and read it every spare moment!!! Wanda's books are so wonderful...you feel like you are in Yoders Market...when they are...just for example...you can actually feel like you are a part of the book...it is are at feeling...when a book can do this for you!!! I would recommend Wanda's books to anyone!!! They are beyond words!!!
Sarah Adamson
Sep 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, novel
An enjoyable Amish story of upset, love, loss and more. This book seemed to contain far more drama than many non-Amish books and yet was described in many reviews as calming!! It also contained far less religion than many other Amish books and I missed it. I missed understanding more of the culture and the decisions based on faith in each other and in God. It is a big part of what I enjoy even though I cannot enjoy that degree of faith, it gives me hope that others can.
Paula-O
Oct 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book #2 is about another sister Ruth, she is a wonderful caring helping type of person and she marries young and the marriage tragically ends causing Ruth to go through a time of depression and questions her faith. She will find her life again when she makes herself help another member of the community that has lost a spouse and has many children that he needs help with....You won't want to miss this story about Ruth.....I now am anxious to read book #3 and hear the story of Martha
Samantha Randall
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A moving story of a family's ups and downs while being pursued with violence from an unknown source. Attacks move from aggravation to death when the story takes a twist on Christmas Eve. I enjoyed this a lot and plan to look for a number 3 in this series of Holmes County. A new character was also introduced into the story and I look forward to seeing how she plays into the investigation in this Amish community.
Susan
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Having read two other books by Wanda Brunstetter, I picked this up off the library shelf without reaalising it was in a differnet series to the ones I had read earlier. So I was immediately disappointed .not to read more about the family of Abraham, Abby and Naomi. This, book two in the "Sisters of Holmes County" series was a relentless tale of gloom, doom and disaster with attacks on the family of Ruth Hostettler. I am afraid I gave up on it - not something I often do with books.
Donna
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always enjoyed Wanda Brunstetter's books and I look forward to reading all of her series. This series has its trials and tribulations and it is interesting to see how this Amish family deals with it. I felt Ruth has had more than a young girl should have to deal with and hoped throughout the book she would have a happy ending. I fell in love with this family and look forward to reading book 3.
Mary
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 2 of the Sister's of Holmes County Series. This book took off right from the start. It picked up right where the first book stopped. It continued to build the excitement and urgency of solving the character's troubles. In case you didn't read the first book, the author retold past events in a way that they added to my enjoyment of the story. I had a hard time putting this book down, and couldn't wait to pick it back up!
Dana
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish
I did enjoy this book. I've really been getting into the Amish books because I know that they're safe to read and I' not going to come across any content that I don't want. They also tend to have a happily ever after theme going on, even if there is heartache along the way. (And there is... this author likes death.) One recurring theme in this book - and series - really just annoys me for some reason, but I'm partway through the 3rd book now so I'm determined to finish.
Lesli
Sep 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite book out of the series, even if it was a little predictable. They are cute books in my opinion, the make me want to read more and read quickly to figure out if it is actually as predictable as I expected. I enjoyed it enough that I wanted more story about Ruth, and #2. The book did a fine job in the amount of story, I just wasn't really ready for the love story to end. Yes, it was a slightly cheesy love story, but not gag cheesy, and completely clean.
Jeanie Mccarthy Pityinger
This is a beautiful story filled with tragedy, forgiveness, healing, hope, love, and mystery...I had thought the story would end this way and that they would end up together from the very beginning when I saw how drawn she was to him and his children during their hardship, I never expected her to have to go through so much as the Lord worked in both their lives ...I also have a guess or two as to who 'dun' it and is continuing to terrorize their family...
  • Wanted (Sisters of the Heart, #2)
  • When the Soul Mends (Sisters of the Quilt, #3)
  • The Forbidden (The Courtship of Nellie Fisher, #2)
  • Rebecca's Choice (Adams County, #3)
  • A Hand to Hold (Hearts of Middlefield, #3)
  • Beginnings (Sommerfield Trilogy #2)
  • Plain Proposal (Daughters of the Promise, #5)
  • Anna's Return (Pleasant Valley, #3)
  • Where Grace Abides (The Riverhaven Years, #2)
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
New York Times bestselling and award-winning author, Wanda E. Brunstetter is one of the founders of the Amish fiction genre. She has written close to 90 books translated in four languages. With over 10 million copies sold, Wanda's stories consistently earn spots on the nations most prestigious bestseller lists and have received numerous awards.

Wanda’s ancestors were part of the Anabaptist faith, a
More about Wanda E. Brunstetter

Sisters of Holmes County (3 books)
  • A Sister's Secret (Sisters of Holmes County, #1)
  • A Sister's Hope (Sisters of Holmes County, #3)

Fiction Deals

$8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Man Who Could Be King
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
  • Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties
  • A Reunion Of Ghosts
  • Crooked Little Lies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Our Own Country (The Midwife, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Women in the Castle
  • Kat and Meg Conquer the World
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Hag-Seed (Hogarth Shakespeare)
  • News of the World
  • Black Swan Green
  • London
  • The Swans of Fifth Avenue
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Shōgun (Asian Saga, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
“and Dad’s to celebrate Christmas Eve. It was going to be a happy time—her and Martin’s first Christmas together. “No! No! No!” 0 likes
“working for your daed every day was like going to the dentist to get a root canal.” 0 likes