Jump to ratings and reviews

Season Named #1

Autumn's Dance

.“A story that captures your heart and continues you thinking about it long after you fall asleep.”

Autumn Nash lives a nomadic existence with her harvest-travelling father, except every summer when they return to one place like clockwork…Ligonier, PA. But this season, Autumn meets a young man who changes her world and makes her long for more.

Eric Foster has been sent to stay the summer in Ligonier with his grandfather in hopes of altering his path as his life spirals downward. His direction changes the moment he sees Autumn; he knows his very reason for breathing is solely to be with her.

When Autumn is ripped away from Ligonier, she leaves Eric confused and devastated that their time is over. Both teens struggle through the years gone by without the other. Will Autumn ever see the boy who changed her life again? Will Eric wait for her? Will Autumn ever make it back to Ligonier? And what will happen when buried secrets surface?

Discover a love that takes you back to what it’s all about—the confusing, yet simplistic, beginnings of falling in love and watch it evolve into something that takes your breath away.

'Autumn's Dance can be read as a standalone or part of The Season Named Series'

248 pages, Kindle Edition

Published February 14, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Sarah Gai

42 books96 followers
Wow! How do I sum up my life? .... Well, I'm a mother of Three little princes who light my life. A wife to a very patient husband who puts up with my hectic thinking. A tattoo loving, coffee drinking, wears her heart on her sleeve, incessant chatterer!

My love is writing and reading fiction. I have to sing! Like all the time... much to my families dismay.

As for being an Author, I seriously love and support body positivity, so I write flawed characters, plus size, curvy girls in chick lit, rom-com and contemporary romance! And soon Non-fiction!
I spend way too much time on Facebook. I LOVE to chat with other readers and writers. So if you want to contact me send an email or catch me on Facebook!!

Love to all xo

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 10 of 10 reviews
Profile Image for Brenda.
3,977 reviews2,591 followers
March 6, 2017
3.5s

Autumn Nash knew nothing more of life than travelling from one job to the other with her father – one harvest picking season after another all across the country. But as regularly as clockwork they returned to Ligonier for the three months of summer. Autumn’s father wasn’t a nice man – he was a cruel and vindictive father and their nomadic existence was filled with living in tents, working from dawn to dusk and for Autumn, the fear of a drunk and nasty father.

But the year she met Eric changed her outlook on life. Eric Foster was with his grandfather in Ligonier after his father sent him there hoping Eric’s out of control life would change. When Eric first laid eyes on Autumn he was captivated – he knew she was the girl for him. But Autumn’s father couldn’t countenance her having a friend – after a particularly brutal beating they left Ligonier without saying goodbye to anyone…

Would Autumn ever see Eric again? Her feelings of shame overwhelmed her; she knew she wasn’t good enough for Eric…

Autumn’s Dance by Aussie author Sarah Gai is a captivating, heartbreaking young adult novel which I thoroughly enjoyed. The intrigue around Autumn is excellent; the twist at the end a good one! My only concerns are that the story needs editing; also the use of past and present tense was disconcerting. But other than that, the plot was excellent – I’d have to say this is the author’s best in my opinion. Recommended.

With thanks to the author for my digital copy to read and review.
Profile Image for Mary.
259 reviews12 followers
March 30, 2017
Autumn lives a nomadic life with her drunken, violent father, Liam. She doesn't remember her mother but her dad says she left becuse she didn't love them any more, especially Autumn. Autumn is used to this level of cruelty from her dad. The one place that they stop and that she has some friends is Ligonier. Here she is friends with twins, Meg and Aiden, and is cared for by Ava, the B&B owner, wheneveer they can get around Liam.

When she is seventeen Autumn meets Eric and it's love at first sight for both of them. Eric is the grandson of the local pastor. Like his father before him, he has got mixed up with motor cycle gang and gone off the rails. His father is determined that he will continue to follow in his footsteps and leave again, so he has kidnapped him and delivered him to his grandfather. ERic and Autumn spend all their time together until Liam finally notices what is going on. Liam and Autumn disappear. Is Autumn all right or did he beat her again? Is she even alive? And if she is will she be back next summer?

This is a nice story with a clear Christian message. It does however miss some of the realities of abuse. It also could do with some editing. But it is enjoyable.
Profile Image for Coco.V.
46.4k reviews4 followers
Want to read
April 19, 2018
💝 FREE on Amazon today (4/19/2018)!💝

'Autumn's Dance can be read as a standalone or part of The Season Named Series'
Profile Image for Brandy.
204 reviews4 followers
February 14, 2017
Wow what a great book. This author has written a wonderful story that I didn't want to put down. There are some emotional ups and downs that also has some abuse so if that would be hard thing then it might not be right for you. However if that is not hard for you then this books characters will have you reading fast. Autumn's character is such a well written one that she is the star of the story. I was so taken by this character and her story.
Profile Image for iamnotabookworm.
402 reviews16 followers
February 16, 2017
Happy Valentine's Day everyone! In the Philippines, everybody celebrates Valentine's Day. It is not just a day for lovers but also for families, friends and for every person who has a loved one. It is a time to express our love and the value we give to each of the people close to our hearts. We give out cards, flowers, chocolates and food to remind those special to us that they are important and loved. It is our way of thanking them for the care, kindness, and support they have provided.

Let us all remember that you should foster and give love not only on Christmas, Valentine's but every single day of our lives.

Autumn's Dance is a tragic story of a very unfortunate girl. Autumn. She has no permanent home. She never went to school. She and her father are nomads. They travel to wherever there is work, usually picking fruits. So, depending on the weather, they would drive to the area where fruit harvests are in season to get jobs. But every summer, they always go back to Ligonier, Pennsylvania, which to Autumn is the closest she could ever get to calling home. Probably, the only constant in her nomadic life.

I think Autumn's story is so not far-fetched from real life. The nomadic lifestyle may not be that common anymore but the life of domestic abuse and parental neglect is obviously a staple occurrence. I just hate her drunk and deadbeat of a father. He has no soul. He used and abused Autumn. Physically, mentally, financially and emotionally. Even in his last breath, he thought of nothing else but himself. I really hope he burns in hell.

I really love stories about strong women. As they all say, adversity builds character if it doesn't kill you. I think Autumn has had more than enough of that to last up to her next life. Autumn is one very strong girl who has survived all the trials and tribulations life has thrown at her. Looking forward to each summer in Ligonier has been her only spark of hope in her mostly dark world. It was the only place where she has friends who treat her like family. The only place she felt loved.

This is another story of love conquering all. Familial love, romantic love, and love between friends. The love and support of Autumn's friends have given her the strength and the courage to stay alive. Her strength of character and her disposition are also so admirable. I think she is sort of a martyr. She loves her father, even after all the hurt and pain he has caused her. I guess, the love for a parent, even if the parent does not deserve it, is just that. Her only fervent wish that one day her father will finally realize her value. I am so glad and relieved, that finally, Autumn realized that too much is enough. Her father will never change no matter how much she wishes and prays for it. She doesn't deserve all the pain and tragedy in her life. It is time that she saves herself.

This is a very sad story that will wring your heart out. If this were a true story, it would be so unfortunate and my heart out goes out to that kid who has to go through this kind of life. Yes, this may have the makings of a soap opera only because what happened to Autumn is just too tragic to even imagine. I hope no one has ever had to go through this torture in real life.

I give the book 4/5 plates of delicious pancakes. I love that this story has a happy ending. I would hate it if didn't because Autumn really deserved to have a happy life after everything she has been through. I think the universe owe it to her to make amends after a very difficult and cruel life.

The problem with angry people is once the anger is gone, they just want to believe they are forgiven.
- Autumn's Dance, Sarah Gai -

Thank you again, Sarah Gai and Xpressobooktours for the review copy.
Profile Image for Jana.
835 reviews
April 27, 2018
Autumn's Dance is the first book in Sarah Gai's Season Named series. I have read her Curves series before i started on Autumn's Dance and talk about a change in genres! I loved Curves but i absolutely adored Season Named and i cannot wait to read the next one in the series.
Autumn's Dance is the story of Autumn, obviously, and Eric. They meet when Autumn is 17 and living in the woods behind Eric's grandfather's house and working the fields ... It is all the existence she has even known - moving from one place to another with her drunkard of a father who is vicious and one of the vilest characters i have met lately ... you cannot imagine the life she is living ... the abuse she is experiencing ... The way Sarah tells the story ... she rips your heart out and does not let you go! I read the story in ONE SITTING!
The heartbreak, the abuse, the hopelessness, the hope, the love .... there is EVERYTHING in this story!
Profile Image for Jenea.
680 reviews57 followers
October 19, 2017
Autumn’s Dance takes us through a young woman turmoil filled life, living a nomadic life with her father, without her mother. She has always been told that her mother didn’t want her and walked off, by a father who stays drunk. But who he she to say otherwise. She just accepts what he say and goes where he takes her. But, never being in one place for very long, is hard on a girl and she wants something more. She meet this mystery guy Eric, they both are drawn to each other, but good ole’ daddy has other plans.

This groups of characters in this small was so easy to fall in love with, they were so sweet and caring. Well, except for Autumn’s awful drunk father, he was a piece of ****, we’ll go with piece of work. Most of the kids that were Autumn’s age grew up in Ligonier, but they accept her in their fold without question and waited each year for her to return. Autumn was such a strong girl for everything she had been through. Never living in one place for very long, having a both verbally and physically abusive drunk father. I don’t know how she stayed so sweet and kind, never being bitter. It was admirable.

Autumn’s horrible father learns of feelings for the boy she has met in Ligonier this season and yanks her away from him, her friends and the people who truly care for her. He puts her in dangerous situations, but the whole time Eric Foster is searching for her. This mans determination and love for her warmed my heart. There are so many things that happened that I want to tell you about but I would never want to ruin the story, but I will tell you the little twist at the end, made me so happy and I was smiling from ear to ear. But it took a lot of heartache, family secrets and betrayals coming out from those in their lives for both Autumn and Eric to get there.

Autumn’s Dance was a tragically captivating story that tear at your heart strings, but so such a beautiful one. I can’t recommend it enough.

”Jenea’s
Profile Image for Amy Shelton.
427 reviews10 followers
February 15, 2017
Independent Reviewer for Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!

*Trigger Warning of Abuse
This book was heartbreaking! It was so sad, and so maddening in parts, yet was full of love. I read it in a day, as I had to know what happened, what Autumn’s fate would be. It is such a sad dark book in parts and is so heavy. Yet, it starts with a pin hole of sunshine and by the end the sun shines freely and bright as can be. There is no dampening the brightness that comes to Autumn’s world.

The two lead characters were nothing but perfectly flawed for each other. They both had a dark past and it was their love for one another that brightened their future. While their story is heartwarming and gooey and will make you turn into mush, there are a few other parts that will turn you in a puddle of goo. It’s such a beautifully written story with ups and downs, twists and turns, but love prevails!

The details were great and descriptions were top notch. There were a few areas I could have had a little less detail (simply because it tore my heart apart) but I think it really made the gravity and seriousness of the situation that much more real. The author really did a stand up job writing a story that was hard to read but one that couldn’t be put down. It really sets its claws deep in your soul and will stay with you for a while. Prepare yourself with some Kleenex and a good drink and you’ll be good to go.

I would definitely recommend this story to you. It was beautifully tragic. It was a heartwarming romance that stood the test of time. It’s perfection at its finest!

Displaying 1 - 10 of 10 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.