Start by marking “Our Bodies & Other Fine Machines” as Want to Read:
Our Bodies & Other Fine Machines

Our Bodies & Other Fine Machines

“Natalie Wee’s Our Bodies & Other Fine Machines is a roadmap. Of words, yes. Of well crafted images ("your name tucked under my tongue, an unraveling string that pulls & pulls".) But more than just that, this book thrills and pulls you in, showing you a history, a lineage, an invitation into Wee’s room, both in its cleanest and messiest moments. This is a stunning ...more
Paperback, 1st, 104 pages
Published December 1st 2016 by Words Dance Publishing (first published October 19th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Our Bodies & Other Fine Machines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Bodies & Other Fine Machines

Nikita Gill
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a wonderful and incredible journey! Natalie Wee is a phenomenal writer, and I am in awe of her craft. I carried this book with me into cafes, bars and trains and each poem I read seemed to bring alive the environment around me. I will treasure this collection forever. Buy it, and read it. I can not recommend it more strongly.
Mim.
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
A moving, tender and gently-crafted collection. Our Bodies & Other Fine Machines is an exploration of the past and the meaning of identity. It's a journey that is as personal as it is political, as much about forgiveness and acceptance as a fierce resistance against erasure and a demand to be seen, to be heard, to reaffirm your place in the world.

With an openness that is almost startling, Wee's poetry weaves through a breadth of human experiences--from love, intimacy, heartbreak and desire t
Alex
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"A hero telling her story. it starts/ like this: once upon a time,/ you rode the dragon/ & saved your own life."

This book of poetry is fantastically written and thought-provoking. These poems make you think!!! I would definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys poetry!
Kell
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This would be a good collection for someone new to poetry, affected by loneliness or mental illness, someone who likes the style and concepts of slam poetry, or a youngish reader / writer looking for inspiration or something to relate to in their own life. These poems are all a combination of a small cauldron of ideas, often used in similar ways again and again:

fire + knife + desire + flight + shadow + fruit + grave + reversal + bruise + heart + teeth + salt water / tides + alone

Wee has some st
Sansriti Tripathi
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sharp, startling and incredibly relatable. Wee has such an amazing way with words and this collection of poems will make you feel such an intense array of emotion from sadness to wanderlust to quiet joy. Some fave quotes:

“What is it like to be made a person / instead of a stranger’s dim shadow?”

“my bones are heavy with the weight of never having been seen at all”

"The most beautiful part of your body / is where it's headed" (actually an Ocean Vuong quote!)

“Like any / unloved thing, I don’t know
Emily Palermo
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In Our Body & Other Fine Machines, Natalie Wee skillfully weaves a poetry collection that is less an experience of merely reading and more an immersion of the deepest and most transcendental kind. With her expert use of rich and bone-bearing language, Wee draws her readers into poetry that, above all else, circles hungrily around what it means to be human. She refuses to shy away from the feelings we perpetually avoid—fear, anger, longing. Rather, she relishes in them with a tenderness that ...more
West
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful and striking.
dg
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, lgbt
from "Least of All"

... I kneel into a dream where I
am good & loved. I am

good. I am loved. My hands have made
some good mistakes. They can always

make better ones.
Gemma
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"I love women. I mean in the way that one chooses her own murder over men."

I've been following Natalie Wee's poetry for a while now and have consistently been blown away by her work. Her poetry paints sharp, striking images that are both beautiful and thought provoking, and that leave an emotional impression that remains long after you finish reading them.
coslyons
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
So I bought this book because I was familiar with Natalie Wee's poetry from tumblr. She writes phrases that pick up power like a steam engine train. I don't often write in books, but there were some sections I had to underline because I felt so understood despite the fact I've never even met her. My favorite poems were "On Average, Human Beings Survive 7 Days On Water Alone" and "The Theory of Magic".

The only reason I rated it four stars instead of five because there were a couple of phrases I h
Crystal
After having read poetry books by other authors in the past month that didn't quite capture me Natalie Wee's Our Bodies & Other Fine Machines has revitalized my love for poetry. I am wanting to quote dozens of lines, she has me nodding along to many more. I've read this book more than once and it still rings true. I am looking forward to seeing more from her and am eagerly awaiting her next book's release in 2018.
C Valeri
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book of poetry written by Natalie Wee!
Would recommend for fans of rupi kaur. Images are sharp, startling, and Plath-like. Many great lines that really stick with you.
ray j
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Truly amazing. Another to be read over and over to fully digest.
Stacey
Jul 15, 2018
mariam
Dec 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Natalie Wee is the author of Our Bodies & Other Fine Machines (Words Dance Publishing, 2016).

Her work has been published or is forthcoming in Prairie Schooner, Drunken Boat, The Adroit Journal, Maisonneuve, and more. She has been nominated for the Best of the Net Anthology as well as two Pushcart Prizes.

Born in Singapore to Malaysian parents, she currently resides in Toronto.
“Like any / unloved thing, I don’t know if I’m real /
when I’m not being touched.”
6 likes
“To be so lonely
you told yourself you liked to be this way
& almost believed it was true.”
5 likes