Start by marking “Shadow Warrior: Based on the True Story of a Fearless Ninja and Her Network of Female Spies” as Want to Read:

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  77 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
It's 1558, and warlords across Japan are battling for territory and control. Into this setting, Tanya Lloyd Kyi weaves the stories of three people: Mochizuki Chiyome, a young woman determined to become a ninja whose plans are thwarted by an arranged marriage; Takeda Shingen (The Tiger), a fierce warlord seeking a new weapon to outsmart his enemies; and Aki, an orphaned tav ...more
Published September 12th 2017 by Annick Press

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow Warrior

Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Did you know that there are stories that circulated, during Japans golden age, the time of peace that came after the Shoguns, that told of female ninjas?

Nope, neither did I.

At first I thought this was going to be a modern take on what could have happened if a girl or woman became a ninja, and I thought that it was going to be full of modern thinking. But, when I read this was based on legend, and stories, so many stories that though there was no direct evidence of the existance of female ninjas
Brooklyn Tayla
I received a copy of this book from NewSouth Books in exchange for an honest review. This of course does not impact my thoughts on the book.

I was definitely surprised by this; there was a wealth of illustrations which accompanied the story, which was about an aspiring warrior.

Of course, fate has other ideas, ans being set in 16th Century Japan: of course there were cultural implications on women, who were often required to marry rather than carry out their own lives.

Things happen to our heroin
Jeimy
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Interesting story based on a legend of the first female ninja and the women she trained to gather information to keep their prefecture—or the equivalent at the time—safe.
Alexia Polasky
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley and Annick Press for the ARC!

Graphic novel, Japanese culture, female ninjas... What else can I ask for?

This story about a female ninja who managed to build an all-female army in the 1500s in Japan is the perfect read in the age of an even more feminist version of Wonder Woman, and a newfound boom of graphic novels. Definitely a must.
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard

Hey! I learnt some new things! We don't really study Japanese history outside of their role in world wars. I love that they have a person that they think was real because of literature.

I really liked the illustrations.

Women: using mens belief that women can't do anything against them since before Japan was a country 😁👍
Nostalgia Reader
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
In the vein of Rejected Princesses this kids book is an excellent look into the life of Mochizuki Chiyome--the all-around bad@$$ founder of an order of women ninja spies.

Through short vignette scenes, we see Chiyome grow up in ninja training, be married to a samurai, and finally fulfill her dream of teaching young women the art and skills of being a ninja spy. No one ever suspects the innocent women, dressed as shrine maidens or servants, but they end up collecting vital info which they pass o
Lisa Pett
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Part history, part legend from Japan's Warring States Period, Shadow Warrior follows the evolution and career of a female spy master and an extensive network of trained, female ninjas.

The tale of a young woman from a small province, her marriage, widowhood, and how she founded a school for orphaned young women to train as spies and ninja assassins filled me with hope that Mochizuki Chiyome really existed: Not as a quiet, elegant geisha or woman in distress, but as a smart, resourceful character
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
16th century Japan was a land riddled with warring factions. Yet while the men fought and died on battlefields, vying for glory and more land, one woman developed a network of over 200 spy girls. This female ninja, who may or may not have really existed, although many historians believe she was a real life figure in some sense, developed an undercover spy school and taught her girls to be ninjas.

I really enjoyed the mixture of artwork throughout this book, particularly the traditional Japanese s
Elizabeth
Shadow Warrior tells the possibly true story of a female ninja in 16th century Japan, along with the story of the girls she trained to become ninjas as well.

Using what is known about the myths and legends, as well as what is known about the historical facts, Tanya Lloyd Kyi has told a story of what could have possibly happened hundreds of years ago with Mochizuki Chiyome. It is well written, and well told. The illustrations by Celia Krampien are stunning. The more classic art included adds to t
Anne
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
"Shadow Warrior" is a strange hybrid of graphic novel and picture book. Yet it works. Based on a true story passed down over hundreds of years in Japanese folklore, it tells the life events of Mochizuki Chiyome - a female ninja warrior in 16th century Japan, who also becomes a notorious spymaster with a large network of female spies. The book is very appealing visually as it features attractive original illustrations by Celia Krampien. Krampien's artwork is seamlessly integrated with a large num ...more
thebookiv
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fantastic take on the legend of female shinobi, Chiyome, who trained over 200 women to be shadow warriors in 16th century Japan. Gorgeously illustrated with an exciting and empowering story, showing the rewards of having courage and the patience to pursue your dreams. Chiyome showed that despite her station in life, and the emotional and physical hardships she had to endure as a woman, she was strong and smart and lived the ninja life of her dreams because she was brave enough to go after what s ...more
Jim
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an great story. With gorgeous art!

I’ve never heard of Chiyome - but I’m going to have to find out more about her.

This is written almost as a folk tale. But there may be some truth to the tale; Chiyome might have been a real person. It’s always nice to have a section in the back that separates fact from fiction and gives the reader references for further investigation.

This was an enjoyable story that could be read in a single sitting. Recommended.

Thanks to NetGalley and Annick Press L
Mary-Esther Lee
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kidbooks
Female ninjas! It's a very appealing subject matter that promises action, excitement, and danger. However, while the story is very interesting, it's not nearly as exciting as the title makes it out to be. It does provide a good background on Japanese culture at that time (the 1500s), and I liked the illustrations, but it needs much more suspense.
Erin
A beautifully illustrated and fascinating story about the legend of female ninjas in ancient Japan. Chiyome is talented, driven, and intelligent, and starts her own network of female spies. The author's historical note in the back was even more fun, describing what was fact and fiction.

I enjoyed this immensely.
Lucy-May
This story was really interesting & I really want to know more about Chiyome! I must find an adult book about her. As for the illustrations - they are absolutely stunning! There are some I wish I could have as posters... I'll definitely be purchasing a copy of this book when it's released.

Disclaimer: I was sent an eARC in return for an honest review
Jason
Absolutely fascinating story, and a real historical entry point for girls who are interested in ninjas, but I fear that the text may be too long for the typical picture book audience, and the type a bit too small for parents who are reading it to them.
Ashley Nikole
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I loved the facts and illustrations of Shadow Warrior, but the story--and telling of it--seemed a bit complicated for a children's book & (to me) lacked the flow and continuity to make this tale truly memorable.
Ms.Gaye
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short, highly illustrated title is fascinating. Grades 4-8
Alana
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
enjoyed the traditional artwork throughout the story.
Sara
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute but scanty details. Print is somewhat small and off putting.
Christina Reid
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
Beautiful book, full review to come.
Steph
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
A potentially true girl ninja story? So cool, right? Unfortunately it doesn’t read exciting...
Kristin
Not what I wanted it to be, but it's pleasant enough.
Krystal
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This imaginative tale takes young readers on a journey to Japan of days long considered history with colourful images, strong heroines, and strategy galore, providing an engaging read.
Sheri Radford
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
What's not to love about a beautifully illustrated book focused on female ninjas in 16th-century Japan? Kickass!
Cyril
Apr 03, 2018
Kelly Moore
Apr 03, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Tanya writes both fiction and non-fiction, often choosing topics related to science, pop culture, or social history—or a combination of the three. She enjoys combining factual research with intriguing narratives, or the life stories of interesting folks.

In her spare time, Tanya likes to run, bake, and read. Her favourite meal is breakfast, her favourite color is blue, and her favourite children’s
More about Tanya Lloyd Kyi