Start by marking “#Notyourprincess: Voices of Native American Women” as Want to Read:
#Notyourprincess: Voices of Native American Women

#Notyourprincess: Voices of Native American Women

Whether looking back to a troubled past or welcoming a hopeful future, the powerful voices of Indigenous women across North America resound in this book. In the same style as the best-selling Dreaming in Indian, #NotYourPrincess presents an eclectic collection of poems, essays, interviews, and art that combine to express the experience of being a Native woman. Stories of ...more
Published September 12th 2017 by Annick Press

To ask other readers questions about #Notyourprincess, please sign up.

Start your review of #Notyourprincess: Voices of Native American Women
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
An interesting idea, for sure. I wish my e-ARC was better formatted as I found it difficult to distinguish between the artwork, essays, poems and quotes. Selfishly I was hoping to read something more significant from someone from my own tribe (Tlingit) and while a contribution is there, it wasn't as satisfying as I'd liked. Really enjoyed several of the contributions but on the whole wanted just a little bit more.
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
#NotYourPrincess is a beautiful collection of stories, poems, and artwork that honor and celebrate Indigenous women and their legacy. This collection tackles a lot of issues that indigenous women face- the shame that is forced on these women, the disrespect and dismissal of their history, and the legacy of pain inherited through generations. But we also see these women unburdening themselves - we see them reclaiming their rich history and begin the process of healing and renewing their sense of ...more
Abby Johnson
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic, a must-read and a must-add. Collected here is art in many forms - poetry, essays, photography, and other visual art - all by modern Native American women.

If all you know about Indigenous people is the Thanksgiving myth you learned in school, pick up this book and educate yourself. These pieces are powerful and they speak volumes in just a few words.

While the large format is a risk with teens, I think it can be spun as a magazine-type format. Teens deserve for us to
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Fascinating collection. There was so much here, so many different storytelling methods and ideas, that I've decided not to rate the book. I feel like tacking a rating to this collection is nearly impossible with all the words packed into these pages. I'll just say that if you are interested in learning about the experience of Native American women this is a must read.
Emm C²
It has taken me awhile to compose my thoughts for this, as there is a massive and complex cloud of them. This resonates with me so deeply, but how do you put this, exactly?
This project is a beautiful and intricate choir of voices, and yet sorrowful in that the core of all these women's writing is a cycle of injustice, loss and assimilation. As someone, like so many, that has become distanced in this way from their roots, these are very powerful and familiar.

"History moves like a fevered heat
Laura (bbliophile)
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diversity
This was a difficult read, but it was definitely worth it. It was powerful, beautiful, and made me think. I'd definitely recommend it.
Julie
4.5 stars this is a nonfiction collection of poetry, artwork, and personal essays, all revolving around the identity of Native American women and reclaiming their self-value, highlighting their struggles. Its important subject matter and an important amplification of their voices, considering every single contributor is a woman, and they speak to their own experiences.

However, this should not be read as ebook!! Its a gorgeous design filled chockablock with artwork sprawling across the pages and
Nicole Johnson
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVED THIS. What an important book. I am currently taking a Native American Oral Literature class, and I am so happy that I picked this book up at this point in my life. I loved seeing the concepts that I am learning in class represented in this book. But more importantly, this book showcases powerful stories from Native American women in such a creative format. There are so many different forms of art from poetry, to interviews, to collages, to paintings that all pack a punch. Everyone needs to ...more
mindful.librarian ☀️
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: essay
Powerful compilation of poetry, essays and artwork.
Keri Solaris
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-uni
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

You will never influence the world trying to be like it.

Beautiful and powerful.
Nazarene Static
First thing is first, this book will be released today September 12th, 2017 and you should buy it and then read it immediately...don't add it to your growing TBR! READ IT NOW! So I usually summarize the synopsis in my own words, because sometimes I don't like the actual summary and other times it is just too wordy for my liking because I like more concise explanations. This time, I decided to just stick with what was written because I will be putting absolutely no words of my own in this book of ...more
Ana
This zine sold me on the medium and I'm sure you'll find something to love in it.
Marianne
3.5 Amazing Stars

Thank you to Annick Press for the ARC, provided via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

This was such a captivating read. The Voices of Native American Women really resonated with me. The artwork was phenomenal. The poems and essays were informative and were packed with the strength, oppression, humility and humanity of all the contributors.

As a reader you could feel their emotions being adequately expressed whether it was frustration or happiness. These women have
Renata
This is a great companion to Dreaming in Indian (which I also enjoyed but it's great to have a volume focused on women)! Like that book, the mixed media format reminds me of a zine or yearbook, in a good way. It's a great way to just get drawn in and encounter a lot of voices, with a combination of humor, insight, anger, sorrow, beauty...often all in the same piece.

Although I do think the large-size format works for this, I think librarians might need to do something extra to boost this to teen
Olivia
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beautifully written, yet tragic anthology of stories, poems and art by Native American women. These writers/artists did a fantastic job of drawing the reader into their beautiful culture. My heart broke for each and everyone of those woman as they all had so much sadness and loss in their lives. This book also did a great job drawing attention to the issues that many Native American women face such as domestic violence, alcoholism, substance abuse and sexual assault. Seeing that many of these ...more
Kelly
Love the style of this book -- it's a scrapbook of voices, art, poetry, and insight by and about Native women about their life experiences, the good, the bad, the joyous, and the painful. I wish it had been longer.

The format is the only downside. This is a short book at just over 100 pages, and the trim size makes it look like a picture book more than an appealing teen read. It makes sense because the art inside is full color (!!) and needs the space, but it's a little tough to maneuver (&
Krystal
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This anthology from Indigenous women across North America is a revelation of their brilliant resilience in the face of white supremacist colonialist violence, so all readers should savour their words!
Anna Smithberger
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So important. Every high school and public library in the country should have this, and everyone should read it. Its short and fast and will make your world bigger. ...more
Lauren Stoolfire
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous, educational, and hopeful. I would love to see more from the incredibly talented collaborators behind #NotYourPrincess.
Alex  Baugh
Just as they did with Dreaming in Indian: Contemporary Native American Voices, Lisa Charleyboy and Mary Beth Leatherdale have once again created an anthology of Native American voices from Canada and the United States. This time, however, it is devoted to the voices of indigenous women only. For Charleyboy, this work is "a love letter to all young indigenous women trying to find their way, but also to help dispel those stereotypes so we can collectively move forward to a brighter future for ...more
Mel González
"We must and will have women leaders among us. Native women are going to raise the roof and decry the dirty house which patriarchy and racism have built on our bricks." - Lee Maracle (Stó:lō Nation)

*ARC provided by the publisher through NetGalley for an honest review*

This is a collection of works (short stories, drawings, poems, comics) by Native women. It's a short book but with its few pages it achieved so much. It managed to move me and make me think and most importantly it gave
Tasha
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen
This is one powerful book about the experience and strength of Native women. The book is a collection of art, stories, poems and interviews of and by Indigenous women. The pieces in the book explore the intersectionality of being both Indigenous and female, demonstrating with a searing cry the damage done by abuse and stereotypes. There is power in the book, strong voices that insist on being heard and no longer being invisible in our modern world.

This book fights back against the harmful boxes
Xanthe
I'm very glad I read this collection of drawings, poetry, and short writings by indigenous women that give a platform for broadcasting their raw anger, defiant pride, and the beauty of their families and culture that has so often been muted and ignored in the past and still today. These women are using their voices and their talents to express their pain but also trumpet their strengths. I loved hearing from so many different women and seeing their tribal affiliations listed beside their names, ...more
ireadrosies
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I started the Book Riot 2018 Read Harder Challenge today with this powerful #ownvoices anthology that I read in one sitting. Sized like a magazine, it's only about 100 pages long and features full-color art, poetry, essays, photography and more by nearly 60 contemporary women and teen girls who shatter stereotypes and affirm hope for the future. Windows and mirrors - hand this diverse book to anyone looking for something quick-to-read. Their world will be bigger.
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
Native American writers, editors, artists, cover artists, even cover model! A great project from Annick Press!

Every piece was meaningful and beautiful. Each section felt very real and impactful. There was beautiful artwork and poems and short stories, and I'm really lucky to have read this.

It's important to support this kind of work, support native voices!!
Ceillie Simkiss
This Definitely needs trigger warnings, but a stunning collection. Read my full review here!
Chelsea slytherink
reviews also posted on Wordpress! spoiler-free review!

"They spent hundreds of years trying to assimilate my ancestors, trying to create Indians who could blend in like me. But now they don't want me either. I'm not Indian enough."

I received an e-ARC from Annick Press Ltd. through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

Unfortunately, this e-ARC was poorly formatted. Therefore, a lot of the art and poetry was unreadable. So please keep that in mind when you're reading reviews of
B.A. Wilson
I really wanted to love this one, especially after hearing about it from the author/editor in a webinar. Unfortunately, I found the format off-putting and could not really connect to any message or emotion from this collection. It feels very random, poorly arranged, and incomplete to me. There's no flow between pages and submissions that makes any sort of sense to me, or conveys any sort of theme or emotion, which was disappointing.

I wanted it to feel rich, emotional, creative, and to leave me
Bookworm
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This slim anthology features poetry, art, essays, quotes, etc. from indigenous women. Aimed at teen readers the book covers with many issues that women from this group face: from poverty to stereotypes to sexual assault to the lack of resources or even historical context that is taught in schools, etc. this was a book that will make you think.

I was a bit hesitant because I have never been one for poetry and this just didn't quite sound up my alley. That was true and holds for me. There will be
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*4.5 stars*
World Culture's I...: Recent read 1 3 Jan 10, 2018 07:48PM

• The Unwanted: Stories of the Syrian Refugees
  • They Called Us Enemy
  • Project You: More Than 50 Ways to Calm Down, de-Stress, and Feel Great
  • This Place: 150 Years Retold
  • Surviving the City (Surviving the City, #1)
  • Almost American Girl
  • Say Her Name
  • Clap When You Land
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • The Marrow Thieves
  • Pemmican Wars (A Girl Called Echo)
  • Before the Ever After

News & Interviews

“sometimes to protect our own wounds
we forced our daughters not to feel
maybe we were taught this ourselves
if you focus hard enough on forgetting
you can live through any kind of hell”
4 likes
“I will not beat myself up for something
someone else did to me -
that poison is theirs.”