Start by marking “#Notyourprincess: Voices of Native American Women” as Want to Read:
#Notyourprincess: Voices of Native American Women

#Notyourprincess: Voices of Native American Women

Whether looking back to a troubled past or welcoming a hopeful future, the powerful voices of Indigenous women across North America resound in this book. In the same style as the best-selling Dreaming in Indian, #NotYourPrincess presents an eclectic collection of poems, essays, interviews, and art that combine to express the experience of being a Native woman. Stories of a ...more
Published September 12th 2017 by Annick Press

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I really wanted to love this, because when I realized it was a compilation of artwork and stories from native American women, I was like, "Yeah, sign me up!" I always am looking for more education, and I strongly believe that there's no better place to be educated than through the experiences of the marginalized peoples who are actually going through these situations.

That said, this book is just really poorly compiled. The formatting is poor, and by the time I finished my ARC of it, I had only a
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
An interesting idea, for sure. I wish my e-ARC was better formatted as I found it difficult to distinguish between the artwork, essays, poems and quotes. Selfishly I was hoping to read something more significant from someone from my own tribe (Tlingit) and while a contribution is there, it wasn't as satisfying as I'd liked. Really enjoyed several of the contributions but on the whole wanted just a little bit more.
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
#NotYourPrincess is a beautiful collection of stories, poems, and artwork that honor and celebrate Indigenous women and their legacy. This collection tackles a lot of issues that indigenous women face- the shame that is forced on these women, the disrespect and dismissal of their history, and the legacy of pain inherited through generations. But we also see these women unburdening themselves - we see them reclaiming their rich history and begin the process of healing and renewing their sense of ...more
Abby Johnson
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic, a must-read and a must-add. Collected here is art in many forms - poetry, essays, photography, and other visual art - all by modern Native American women.

If all you know about Indigenous people is the Thanksgiving myth you learned in school, pick up this book and educate yourself. These pieces are powerful and they speak volumes in just a few words.

While the large format is a risk with teens, I think it can be spun as a magazine-type format. Teens deserve for us to pres
Emm - One Thousand Years of Books
It has taken me awhile to compose my thoughts for this, as there is a massive and complex cloud of them. This resonates with me so deeply, but how do you put this, exactly?
This project is a beautiful and intricate choir of voices, and yet sorrowful in that the core of all these women's writing is a cycle of injustice, loss and assimilation. As someone, like so many, that has become distanced in this way from their roots, these are very powerful and familiar.

"History moves like a fevered heat dow
Laura (bbliophile)
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diversity
This was a difficult read, but it was definitely worth it. It was powerful, beautiful, and made me think. I'd definitely recommend it.
Ana
This zine sold me on the medium and I'm sure you'll find something to love in it.
Kate ☀️ Olson
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: essay
Powerful compilation of poetry, essays and artwork.
Julie
4.5 stars — this is a nonfiction collection of poetry, artwork, and personal essays, all revolving around the identity of Native American women and reclaiming their self-value, highlighting their struggles. It’s important subject matter and an important amplification of their voices, considering every single contributor is a woman, and they speak to their own experiences.

However, this should not be read as ebook!! It’s a gorgeous design filled chockablock with artwork sprawling across the pages
Marianne
3.5 Amazing Stars

Thank you to Annick Press for the ARC, provided via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

This was such a captivating read. The Voices of Native American Women really resonated with me. The artwork was phenomenal. The poems and essays were informative and were packed with the strength, oppression, humility and humanity of all the contributors.

As a reader you could feel their emotions being adequately expressed whether it was frustration or happiness. These women have comp
Nicole Johnson
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glgb-2018, yma-2018
LOVED THIS. What an important book. I am currently taking a Native American Oral Literature class, and I am so happy that I picked this book up at this point in my life. I loved seeing the concepts that I am learning in class represented in this book. But more importantly, this book showcases powerful stories from Native American women in such a creative format. There are so many different forms of art from poetry, to interviews, to collages, to paintings that all pack a punch. Everyone needs to ...more
Kelly
Love the style of this book -- it's a scrapbook of voices, art, poetry, and insight by and about Native women about their life experiences, the good, the bad, the joyous, and the painful. I wish it had been longer.

The format is the only downside. This is a short book at just over 100 pages, and the trim size makes it look like a picture book more than an appealing teen read. It makes sense because the art inside is full color (!!) and needs the space, but it's a little tough to maneuver (&
Nazarene Static
First thing is first, this book will be released today September 12th, 2017 and you should buy it and then read it immediately...don't add it to your growing TBR! READ IT NOW! So I usually summarize the synopsis in my own words, because sometimes I don't like the actual summary and other times it is just too wordy for my liking because I like more concise explanations. This time, I decided to just stick with what was written because I will be putting absolutely no words of my own in this book of ...more
Lydia
Lots of people received this as an ARC and the formatting was absolutely bizarre. To those people I say: find a copy of this, because the finished product is gorgeous.

This is a very feminist anthology of poems, art, photography, interviews and everything else by Native women, for young native women (or femmes, or boys, or however anyone identifies). It's split up into four sections: The Ties That Bind Us, It Could Have Been Me, I am Not Your Princess and Pathfinders.

I liked lots of different p
Renata
This is a great companion to Dreaming in Indian (which I also enjoyed but it's great to have a volume focused on women)! Like that book, the mixed media format reminds me of a zine or yearbook, in a good way. It's a great way to just get drawn in and encounter a lot of voices, with a combination of humor, insight, anger, sorrow, beauty...often all in the same piece.

Although I do think the large-size format works for this, I think librarians might need to do something extra to boost this to teen
Olivia
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: native-american
A beautifully written, yet tragic anthology of stories, poems and art by Native American women. These writers/artists did a fantastic job of drawing the reader into their beautiful culture. My heart broke for each and everyone of those woman as they all had so much sadness and loss in their lives. This book also did a great job drawing attention to the issues that many Native American women face such as domestic violence, alcoholism, substance abuse and sexual assault. Seeing that many of these ...more
Karen
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I started the Book Riot 2018 Read Harder Challenge today with this powerful #ownvoices anthology that I read in one sitting. Sized like a magazine, it's only about 100 pages long and features full-color art, poetry, essays, photography and more by nearly 60 contemporary women and teen girls who shatter stereotypes and affirm hope for the future. Windows and mirrors - hand this diverse book to anyone looking for something quick-to-read. Their world will be bigger.
Krystal
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This anthology from Indigenous women across North America is a revelation of their brilliant resilience in the face of white supremacist colonialist violence, so all readers should savour their words!
Ceillie Simkiss
This Definitely needs trigger warnings, but a stunning collection. Read my full review here!
Lauren Stoolfire
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous, educational, and hopeful. I would love to see more from the incredibly talented collaborators behind #NotYourPrincess.
Keri Solaris
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-uni
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

“You will never influence the world trying to be like it.”

Beautiful and powerful.
Mel González
"We must and will have women leaders among us. Native women are going to raise the roof and decry the dirty house which patriarchy and racism have built on our bricks." - Lee Maracle (Stó:lō Nation)

*ARC provided by the publisher through NetGalley for an honest review*

This is a collection of works (short stories, drawings, poems, comics) by Native women. It's a short book but with its few pages it achieved so much. It managed to move me and make me think and most importantly it gave visibilit
Chelsea slytherink
reviews also posted on Wordpress! spoiler-free review!

"They spent hundreds of years trying to assimilate my ancestors, trying to create Indians who could blend in like me. But now they don't want me either. I'm not Indian enough."

I received an e-ARC from Annick Press Ltd. through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

Unfortunately, this e-ARC was poorly formatted. Therefore, a lot of the art and poetry was unreadable. So please keep that in mind when you're reading reviews of #Notyourprince
B.A. Wilson
I really wanted to love this one, especially after hearing about it from the author/editor in a webinar. Unfortunately, I found the format off-putting and could not really connect to any message or emotion from this collection. It feels very random, poorly arranged, and incomplete to me. There's no flow between pages and submissions that makes any sort of sense to me, or conveys any sort of theme or emotion, which was disappointing.

I wanted it to feel rich, emotional, creative, and to leave me
Bookworm
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This slim anthology features poetry, art, essays, quotes, etc. from indigenous women. Aimed at teen readers the book covers with many issues that women from this group face: from poverty to stereotypes to sexual assault to the lack of resources or even historical context that is taught in schools, etc. this was a book that will make you think.

I was a bit hesitant because I have never been one for poetry and this just didn't quite sound up my alley. That was true and holds for me. There will be o
Tasha
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen
This is one powerful book about the experience and strength of Native women. The book is a collection of art, stories, poems and interviews of and by Indigenous women. The pieces in the book explore the intersectionality of being both Indigenous and female, demonstrating with a searing cry the damage done by abuse and stereotypes. There is power in the book, strong voices that insist on being heard and no longer being invisible in our modern world.

This book fights back against the harmful boxes
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
Native American writers, editors, artists, cover artists, even cover model! A great project from Annick Press!

There was beautiful artwork and poems and short stories, and I'm really lucky to have read this.

Full review soonish...
Glaiza
Such a powerful anthology. Will try to find words for the review on the blog: https://paperwanderer.wordpress.com/2...
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, netgalley
*4.5 stars*
Anna Smithberger
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So important. Every high school and public library in the country should have this, and everyone should read it. It’s short and fast and will make your world bigger.
World Culture's I...: Recent read 1 3 Jan 10, 2018 07:48PM

• Eyes of the World: Robert Capa, Gerda Taro, and the Invention of Modern Photojournalism
  • Boots on the Ground: America's War in Vietnam
  • Spooked!: How a Radio Broadcast and the War of the Worlds Sparked the 1938 Invasion of America
  • One Last Word: Wisdom from the Harlem Renaissance
  • The Unwanted: Stories of the Syrian Refugees
  • Fault Lines in the Constitution: The Framers, Their Fights, and the Flaws That Affect Us Today
  • I'm Just No Good at Rhyming: And Other Nonsense for Mischievous Kids and Immature Grown-Ups
  • Danza!: Amalia Hernández and El Ballet Folklórico de México
  • Black Girl Magic
  • Sugar Falls: A Residential School Story
  • Martin Rising: Requiem For a King
  • Bravo!: Poems About Amazing Hispanics
“sometimes to protect our own wounds
we forced our daughters not to feel
maybe we were taught this ourselves
if you focus hard enough on forgetting
you can live through any kind of hell”
4 likes
“I will not beat myself up for something
someone else did to me -
that poison is theirs.”