Start by marking “Turtle Island: The Story of North America's First People” as Want to Read:
Turtle Island: The Story of North America's First People

Turtle Island: The Story of North America's First People

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  42 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Unlike most books that chronicle the history of Native peoples beginning with the arrival of Europeans in 1492, this book goes back to the Ice Age to give young readers a glimpse of what life was like pre-contact. The title, Turtle Island, refers to a Native myth that explains how North and Central America were formed on the back of a turtle. Based on archeological finds a ...more
Published September 12th 2017 by Annick Press

To ask other readers questions about Turtle Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turtle Island

Grace ᵔᴥᵔ
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stand-alones
I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

"Turtle Island" describes the life indigenous people lived pre-European settlement of North America in 1492. We begin during the Ice Age 100,000-13,000 years ago, and lead all the way through present day and the future.

Informative and easy to comprehend, "Turtle Island" utilizes visually appealing formatting and colorful images to make the experience more enjoyable. Although we travel through thousands of years of his
Too many books about the Indiginous people of North and Central America take place after first-contact, after the Europeans have come and "discovered" them, as though they needed to be found.

This book, based on myths, and archeological digs, and stories that the elders have passed down, is the story of the people of Turtle Island, one of the names given to the North American continent by some of the First Nation people. The stories of these people, go from the time that they first came to Turtle
GateGypsy
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I seriously loved this book. It was definitely written for a young set of readers, and it's a super general kind of overview of the history of North America before the arrival of european colonialists. I definitely learned some interesting facts, though, and am looking forward to sharing this book with my school-aged son.
I think it would be a good book for people, in general, to read, but especially north americans, because many people don't really understand the length and breadth of the histor
Isa (sneirrbooks) Boog
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Turtle Island: The Story of North America’s First People was an incredibly educational read. It’s aimed at children, but I think it’s a good start to further reading for anyone.
Full review at https://puttingwingsonwords.wordpress...
Leonard Kim
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. I think the first 6 chapters are the best informational book for children I have ever seen. Once the focus switches from archaeology and mythology to history in chapter 7, I think the book becomes less strikingly distinct, though still good.
Jeimy
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A history of North America as told by the people who lived there since before Columbus's fateful blunder.
Samantha
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Note: I received an eARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review!

I really loved how this was written and put together! It reminded me a lot of the reference books you used to find in the children's section of the library, and I think it will prove itself to be a valuable resource for young people who want to understand more about the Native Americans culture, or who are perhaps studying them in school. The illustrations and photographs were gorgeous and really helped bring t
Christina Reid
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
Incredibly important addition to textbooks teaching about the history of the Americas - it is refreshing to read one that doesn't start with the 'discovery' of the Americas by Europeans.

See the full review with pictures on my blog here.

Even though thousands of years have gone by, we have ways of stepping back into the past...

This is beautifully-illustrated and could fit easily into the 'faction' category where you have a factual book, presented with illustrations you might expect in a fiction
Kaiti
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free ARC of this book through NetGalley.com in exchange for an honest review.

This was a very good book written in an easy-to-understand manner (middle-grade level I would guess) that tells the human history of the lands now called the Americas (especially North America) through an Indigenous lens. It is very refreshing to see a non-settler take on this history, as, unfortunately, these perspectives are rare to find in published books.

The use of legends and oral histories to flesh
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
***This book was reviewed for Annick Press via Netgalley

Turtle Island is a well-written middle-grade condensed history of the First Peoples of America. There were indigenous populations of people in the Americas long before Columbus, or even Leif Eriksson. Previously thought to have crossed from Siberia, over the Bering landbridge, we are now learning these ancient populations followed other routes as well.

This book starts out with the Creation myth Turtle Island and Sky Woman, and follows a lo
Elizabeth
Turtle Island details the history of North America's indigenous people from prehistory to prior to colonisation, and touches on what happened after colonisation as well. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Blending archaeological fact, indigenous myths and storytelling, and some lively deductive imaginings, Turtle Island uses multiple sources to tell a story spanning thousands of years. It presented facts and theories, and was incredibly enjoyable and accessible as it did so.While the focus was on pre
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-ya, nonfiction
It's clear from the variety of fonts in the eBook that this will have sort of a text-book-y layout. It does work as a read-it-cover-to-cover book, but my guess is more students will use it for a chapter or two, for a citation/assignment. It covers a very wide geographic area and time frame and doesn't go into very much depth. Maybe it's intended as sort of a starter book; it's a very general introduction to the history, with not very much detail. I've been trying to guess the age of the intended ...more
Ashley
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Very good overview of North America’s indigenous people. The history starts in the Ice Age and continues through modern day, so obviously each chapter is extremely short and offers only the broadest of overviews. It’s full color on every page with helpful photographs, historical documents, drawings, and artifacts. My complaint is that because it’s such a broad timeline packed into such a short space the writing is very choppy and many tribes are left out of the narrative. Definitely read it as a ...more
Kim
As a non-native reader, I enjoyed the opening story of The Sky Women. After that, I had some concerns regarding The People of the Northwest and the image that did not seem to relate to the story. It almost seemed as if an image (of a native figure) was just placed there for the sake of the book. And then they added the Totem pole which is stereotypical of the Northwest. The chapters also seemed incomplete and the reading did not flow.
Niki
This is a non-fiction text, detailing the history of Turtle Island. Information is shared through artifacts, myths, and scenarios. The format of the book and vast information shared make the book better suited to older students (middle/high school), as I believe younger students will find it difficult to locate the information they require for research projects.

My complete review will be printed in an upcoming issue of The Green Teacher magazine.
Andrea
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-s, net-galley
*I received this book from NetGalley in return for an honest review*

This book was such an informative and interesting read. Combining oral history and stories, archaeological research, and historical records this book goes through the different groups of people living in the "New World" and how they lived before Europeans came and how their coming changed things. I loved reading this story and know that people can learn a lot from it.
Vina
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was categorized as Teen/YA, but I felt this book should have been categorized as Juvenile Non-fiction. I felt the title was misleading; I was expecting a compilation of oral stories, which had short variations of it. It had more archaeological facts/information. However, I did enjoy the author's take on discrediting those archeological facts with the oral stories. I enjoyed those oral stories and I wish there was more of it.
Kelly Schulze
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, netgalley
This was provided via Netgalley for an honest review.

This was a nice and comprehensive look at the first tribes before Columbus "found America" but it just didn't read well. It was dry and didn't really flow well for me. Also, it downloaded weird onto my Kindle and had the headers in the middle of a paragraph so you sometimes had to figure out what was going on due to that. Regardless, it was a good book on the tribes of the American continent.
Lesley
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A super general overview of the life of the indeginous people's of North America made for young adults. This book stresses the extreme variety of indeginous people and the multitude of different cultures and religions and ways of life that are now lost to us. This is the right way to teach indeginous history, not just European colonisation.
Krystal
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book delves into Indigenous life on Turtle Island, as it explores history, myth, archaeology, etc, to provide a rich, colourful picture to young readers of all that has changed on these stolen lands.
Mary-Esther Lee
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The history of North America before the arrival of Columbus, which is rightly termed the end of the world. It's a book that should be part of every school curriculum; even an excellent choice for Canada Reads. A wonderful story that ends optimistically; I hope improvements occur during my lifetime.
Angela