Start by marking “Tempting Fate” as Want to Read:
Tempting Fate

Tempting Fate

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  508 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
In a town of flamboyance, wealth and family feuds, a mystery of the past is about to resurface.

Despite her success as a young entrepreneur, Dani Pembroke is a haunted woman. Long ago her mother vanished without a trace, leaving Dani to live with her wealthy relatives, who have their own questionable pasts. Although the residents of Saratoga, New York, gossip that Lilli Pem
Published August 1st 2008 by Mira (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Tempting Fate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tempting Fate

Mojca
Her mother went missing twenty-five years ago, she grew up pretty much on her own, she threw her inheritance back into her grandfather's face and embraced the flamboyant half of her family as hers...Now, the mystery of her mother's disappearance just might be revealed, but there is someone who doesn't want it to and will do anything to prevent it from happening. But is that someone the same man she's falling for?

I complained about the first chapter being boring and slow...Well, the next chapters
Dpic
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, mystery
nice story but very confusing characters; took me most of the book to figure out who was who
Gina
Sep 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Full of suspense and mystery but almost predictable.

Much to the chagrin of her Chandler relatives, Danielle Chandler Pembroke (Dani Pembroke) has returned to Saratoga Springs and has become an entrepreneur. Opening the Pembroke home as a hotel and re-opening the bottling plant (Pembroke mineral water), rumors begin to fly that she is over-extending her funds and is in trouble. The family is one edge as well - 25 years ago, Lilli Chandler Pembroke, her mother, had gone missing, never to be seen o
Eve Gaal
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it

I loved the title and had to read this mystery novel about a dark eyed beauty born into a family of ‘legends and scoundrels’. Dani runs a luxury spa hotel and a water bottling plant. Even though her relations have millions, she insists on doing everything alone. Dani’s solitary nature is a result of her mother disappearing a long time ago--without a trace—well there is a possible clue with that golden key-- her mother wore as jewelry. Ever since she found the key there have been strange things h
Anita
Jan 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Really 3 and 1/2 stars. The character background and plot development was really good. The romance was not so good. I guessed the bad guy and the motive - always a bad thing to me.

Dani Chandler Pembroke comes ftom an eccrentic family, to say the least. I won't go into details because the book beats you over the head with them ad nasseum. Zeke is a wounded soul whose older brother, whom he adored, turned out to have feet of clay (or did he?). Zeke shows up in Sartoga Springs, NY trying to find a
Mandy
Jan 04, 2014 rated it liked it
The story was quite interesting and it was difficult for me to see what was coming at the end which for me is rear. However there were far too many different characters and I found them to be confusing. I also thought that they caused a cluttered type atmosphere because they where so difficult to keep track of. The pase was too slow and it didn't seem to build tension or suspence so that was frustrating.
Katy
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What happened to Lilly Chandler Pembrook when she disappeared 25 years ago? Her daughter Dani wants to know as well as four or five others, including a man who went to see Lilly's famous actress mother-in-law when he was 13. What link does his brother have with the Chandlers-Pembrooks, and how does it tie into his death in combat?

A wonder Carla Neggers story.
Paige
Mar 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me and I chucked it off to the side waiting to read it as a last resort. (When I was out of books and couldnt make it to the library). But I was really surprised. This was a very good book. I liked the characters and the mystery behind the missing women. The ending could not have been more perfect. Truly a good read and I will be searching out more from Carla Neggers.
Samantha Hall
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars! Very well written and fun book. The beginning was slow and there were a lot of characters but once you got past that part you dive deep into a whirlwind of mystery and suspense. With the added bonus of a cute romance. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would definitely recommend it to others.
Jessi
Dani Pembrooke is the granddaughter of a well-know. Hollywood relationship that went out in a blaze. Then, twenty-five years ago, her mother disappeared. So she's well-known even before she opens a hotel and starts bottling the local spa water. But one interview and she's suddenly in the cross-hairs of a killer.
An okay story that wasn't necessarily well put together but a fast and easy read.
Sue
Jul 12, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-completed
Too many characters, got distracted just trying to figure out how they were related. Couldn't even get past third chapter, too much information. May try to pick it up again later, I have read and enjoyed other books by this author before.
Melissa
May 12, 2011 rated it did not like it
There was no suspense to this book. The mystery was so vague and the characters so boring. I couldn't care less who did it. Bleh
Janet Smith
May 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
I like Carla Neggars books but save this for when you don't have anything else to read
Kelly Moran
Sep 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I had a hard time reading this book. It was very good, I was just insanely busy. This is a reprint of an early book. Was one of her best romantic suspenses.
Elvis
Sep 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
A little hard to get the people straigh sort of like whose who but it is turning out to be a mystery. Can't quite figure out who the blackmailer is yet.
Robin
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Really glad this wasn't the first book I'd read by this author.
Andrea
Sep 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Update of an early novel
Pamela
Aug 04, 2012 rated it liked it

Full of suspense and mystery but almost predictable.
Donna
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Interesting because it is set in Saratoga Springs, NY. But predicable.
charmaine White
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Carla Neggers has come through with a really good read.Action from the very beginning to the very end.This one will keep you guessing from start to finish.
Debbie
Aug 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
I enjoy reading Carla Neggers. Her books have just the right amount of suspense and romance to keep me reading.
Gwen
Nov 18, 2015 rated it liked it
a fun, quick read
Theresa Hurley
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great story! Lots of suspense! Zeke and Dani are great!
Mary
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
And, yes another good book by Carla Neggers!!!
Carmen
Aug 21, 2008 rated it liked it
I got this book before one of my recent trips and it was pretty good. The plot isn't overly complicated and there are some pretty good twists that make it interesting.
Carolyn
Sep 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Interesting concept and setting.
Melissa Hongisto
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not a bad read. Not necessarily amazing. But a good read. Once again the half stars would be useful.
Dawn Johansen dvorak
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not as good as others I have read. Kept reading hoping it would get better
Connie
Mar 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: already-read
This book was good, it had a good story, but I felt there were almost too many characters. It was hard to keep track of where everyone came into the story.
Julie Vogt Gonia
Sep 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: cn
It was ok. Storyline was slowed by a lot of background info.
  • On the Edge (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #1.5)
  • Hold Back the Dark
  • Bad Penny (Cat Dupree, #3)
  • Everlasting Love
  • Born To Be Wild
  • Playing Dead (Prison Break Trilogy, #3)
  • Forgotten
  • Southern Comforts
  • Wild and Wicked
  • In The Blink Of An Eye
  • Chances: Opposites Attract / A Will and a Way
  • Dying for You (The Protectors, #30)
  • Victim
Carla Neggers has been spinning stories ever since she climbed a tree with pad and pen at age eleven. Now she is the New York Times bestselling author of almost 70 novels, with millions of books sold in over 30 countries. Her popular Sharpe & Donovan romantic suspense series featuring FBI agents Emma Sharpe and Colin Donovan launched with Saint’s Gate in 2011 and has been praised as “a breatht ...more
More about Carla Neggers...

“The love of your life is the person who makes you forget what all your standards and preconceived notions about love and romance even were.” 28 likes