Start by marking “There's a Billy Goat in the Garden: Based on a Puerto Rican Folk Tale” as Want to Read:
There's a Billy Goat in the Garden: Based on a Puerto Rican Folk Tale

There's a Billy Goat in the Garden: Based on a Puerto Rican Folk Tale

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  49 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Join a group of farmyard animals as they stomp, bark and whinny in their hilarious attempts to chase a misbehaving billy goat from the garden. The animals' confidence soon turns to dismay, and the solution to the problem lies not with the biggest, but with the smallest of them all. This heartwarming version of an old Puerto Rican folktale reminds us that the smallest creat ...more
Published March 1st 2003 by Barefoot Books

To ask other readers questions about There's a Billy Goat in the Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There's a Billy Goat in the Garden

Diana Thomsen
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Surprisingly to me, this was a favorite in our unit on goats. The kiddos simply adored the illustrations and had great fun repeating the title phrase along with me. They thought the ending was great and it led to some interesting discussions on how big people (adults) seem to ignore what little people (kiddos like them) might have to offer a situation. They made some very good points!
Paula
From School Library Journal

PreSchool-Grade 2-A billy goat has gotten into the flower garden where a family's laundry is hanging to dry and the children can't get him out. The rooster tries to chase him away, followed by the dog and the pig and progressively larger animals, until even the galloping horse fails to budge the goat. The tiny bee decides to give it a try, despite the ridicule of the others, and, of course, succeeds, proving once again that size doesn't count. What does count here is t
Tamara
Aug 25, 2014 rated it liked it
There’s a Billy Goat in the Garden by Laurel Dee Guglar and Clare Beaten is an amusing story of a troublesome goat living in a garden. A range of farm animals try to rid him from the garden but nothing works. It goes through eat animal in accordance to size but no of them could get the goat out of the garden. This is until one of the smallest creatures wanted to try but was only met by laughter of the other animals due to its size. However this does not stop the creature and it rid the goat once ...more
Mary
This is a great book for ECE level readers because of its repetition and musicality. All of the animals on the farm try to get Billy Goat out of the garden, but no matter how hard they try, he will not leave! One small friend is the last to try, and surprises everyone.
The pictures in this book are unique—they are done as though they are images on a quilt. The characters are sewn onto the background, and you can see the stitches. The pictures create a texture to the book and can inspire discussio
Oanh
Based on a Puerto Rican folk tale, this rhyming story is about a billy goat that's up to no good in the garden. The children on the farm enlist the help of the farm animals to help them get the stubborn goat out of the garden. One by one, all of the animals claim they can because of their size but none of them can. Until finally, the least likely creature succeeds where the others failed showing that sometimes it's the little unexpected things that get the job done. This story is great to teach ...more
Library Quine
Apr 11, 2012 rated it liked it
There's a billy goat in the garden, and he will NOT come out. The story is based on a Puerto Rican folk tale where various animals of increasing size try to get the billy goat out of the garden, but only the itty-bitty bumble bee succeeds. Animals mentioned are: cockerel, dog, pig, donkey, cow, and horse. Clare Beaton's embroidery and collage make for fascinating pictures with some useful inspiration for felt/flannel animals.
Lindsay
This is a really cute story about a goat who will not leave the garden. Different animals, which increase in size, try to get him out, but it's only the small bee who is able to accomplish the task. When I used it for a goat and chile-themed bilingual story time program, I had the kids identify the animals to make it more interactive. The repetition and rhyming in the story also help kids remember the story better, which, in turn, helps develop their narrative skills.
Christine Turner
Note: This could be a really cute flannel board. Illustrated by Clare Beaton :)

A rowdy group of farmyard animals flutter, snort, stomp and tromp, trying to chase a stubborn, old billy goat out of the garden. But it is the most unlikely animal, a tiny bee, who actually manages to do it.

Subjects

Goats -- Juvenile fiction.

Animals -- Juvenile fiction

Folklore -- Puerto Rico

Animals -- Juvenile fiction

Sandi Roe
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family
I read this book for a family story time for the letter G. It was a great call and repeat book. I would say "There's a billy goat in the garden," and the kids would yell "And he won't come out!" They had a lot of fun with this book. It also shows in the story, that you don't have to be big to get things accomplished.
Shelley
Simple story about how little creatures can make A big difference when larger ones can't. We enjoyed the artwork too...which looked like sewn felt.
Abby
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers and parents of young kids
One of the best big book stories I read to my class in a long time. Silly but easy for them to chime in, too.
Teresa
May 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great repetition, (I have the kids pat/smack the floor to the line) and then we do the "Here is the beehive" finger play. It's very satisfying that it's the little bee who gets the goat to leave...
Mouse Denehy
Dec 10, 2013 rated it liked it
This book proves that bigger is not always better. Knowing what I do about goats, this book is right on the nose with their stubborn antics. I like the illustrations and the patterns on the pages.
Ecl  Storytellers
Repetition with all the farm animals one after another trying to get the goat out of the garden. We have matching flannelboard set.
Tricia
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
bigger is not always better in this tale of a billy goat who will not leave the garden despite many animal's pleas. fabric art. fun pictures.
Autumn
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
We loved this adorable story! My 3 year old laughed over the story and interacted with the repetitive rhyme. There is a useful message to the story also.
Dara
M
Jun 15, 2011
Katherine
Mar 07, 2017
Whimsical words dance and frolic across the pages of Laurel’s books. A storyteller as well as an author, she has been sharing stories since l988. Laurel’s delight in playful word crafting is apparent in her oral storytelling as well as in her books. Her first book, Mashed Potato Mountain, was published in 1988. Casey’s Carousel followed in 1989. These were followed by a number of Annick books. Mud ...more
More about Laurel Dee Gugler...