Start by marking “Eden Summer” as Want to Read:
Eden Summer

Eden Summer

It starts like any other day for Jess. Get up, draw on eyeliner, cover up tattoos, and head to school. But soon it's clear that this is no ordinary day, because Jess's best friend, Eden, isn't at school . . . she's gone missing.Jess knows she must do everything in her power to find Eden. Before the unthinkable happens.So Jess decides to retrace the life-changing summer she ...more
Published June 27th 2017 by David Fickling Books (first published June 7th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Eden Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eden Summer

jv poore
Words are influential, able to constructively and destructively affect both the speaker and the audience. Final words feel eerily efficacious; especially when there is absolutely no expectation that they are indeed, last words. Vicious, venomous verbalizations can compound an already catastrophic event. In and of itself, crippling in its cruel randomness; devastating and gut-wrenching when choked with guilt.

A cloud of culpability completely cloaked the sun inside of Eden just as its rays tentat
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
This is going to be pretty short, because unfortunately this was a bit of a let down. I was expecting deep emotional pain, an intriguing mystery, and a story of friendship and discovery. Unfortunately, everything got lost in unlikable characters and underdeveloped plot points.

Things I Liked :
Eden Summer is an emotionally packed story of grief, loss, friendship, and guilt. The emotions are there and genuine, if dramatized, but I just couldn't connect with any of the characters so I didn't really
Kirsty
I thought this book was really awesome. It is a perfect example of what I want from good a UKYA novel

I loved the characters because they felt so real. Their story made me feel like a teenager again in the way it just captured that essence of being young and confused and angry. I thought how it did pain grief and suffering was really poignant.

I loved how the story kept me guessing throughout as you start to work out both what happened in the recent past but also where it is that Eden might be. It
Jessica
Nov 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm honestly surprised I finished this book because man did it suck. I kept hoping it'd pick up and get better, but no such luck.
Hannah Pike
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'I would get her through this.
I would save Eden's life,  like she did mine.'

I would give this book 5 stars.

-SPOILERS INCLUDED-

Eden Summer is a novel that is mainly based around friendship.
Jess's best friend Eden has gone missing and it's now up to Jess to try and find her.
As the novel unfolds,  we find out more about the different characters involved,  their pasts and secrets.
Memories begin to re-surface in her mind,  majority of them with Eden in it,  like when she got her first tattoo.
Jess is
Marianne Donovan
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: won
"Eden Summer" by Liz Flanagan is an English YA book about two high school best friends who have both suffered a great personal tragedy and how they have spent their last summer dealing or not dealing with it, and the cost to their friendship. When Jess goes to school only to learn that her bestie, out of control and depressed Eden, has gone missing. As Jess worries and searches for Eden, she relives flashbacks of the past year to slowly uncover the truth of the guilt that has been destroying Ede ...more
.・゜゜・ mikky .・゜゜・
This was such a gorgeous book, loved every single moment of this.

I could really get to know both of the characters in a deeper level, and I just loved that. I really connected with Jess the most, always doing things for other people putting them first, because that is exactly what I do all the time, and sometimes we forget that we need to put ourselves first sometimes.

Liz's words were captivating, enriching and just straight pure magic. I definitely recommend this book for anyone who needs a r
Marta Duda-Gryc
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book starts - deceptively - as a seemingly banal story about a missing girl with teenage characters representing rather types than real individual personalities and changes gradually into a story with (mild but still) thriller undertones about real people, real teenage girls dealing with various kinds of trauma. I was happily disappointed: it delivers much more than it shows in the first chapter and even the love triangle was written quite nicely, realistically and it did not make me want to ...more
Sharon
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Although there are two emotionally charged story lines included in this book, Eden Summer did not move me as much as I expected. Part of the reason was that Eden herself was not very likeable, but it was also because the author took so much time to get to the heart of the matter. Between the time shifts and the exhaustively slow reveal, I lost interest in both of the backstories. In a genre full of books about pain, violence, and even hope for the future, Eden Summer just does not stand out.
Emma Carroll
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A superb portrayal of a friendship torn apart by grief and trauma. The writing is pacy, poetic yet unflinching. When we find out what terrible event has befallen Jess, I honestly think that scene will stay with me forever. This is a hauntingly beautiful story full of pain, and ultimately, hope.
Natalie
Jess’s friend Eden disappears and Jess spends a VERY LONG day frantically searching for her and reminiscing about all the tragic things that have happened to them.

I feel like the author did her very best. The writing wasn’t confusing or hard to follow but there was no heart. Basically every box of YA writing was checked -lgbt character, at least one person of color, angst, love triangle, a kind teacher, a cute boy-there’s nothing wrong with any of those literary devices but when they all pop up
Julie Davis
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jess' best friend Eden has disappeared and she has no idea what has happened to her. She must explore everything they did over the past summer to look for a clue for what might have happened to Eden. Both Eden and Jess have had something traumatic happen to them, but Flanagan reveals both events throughout the book in flashbacks. To help Eden, Jess and Liam have spent the summer helping her to recover. The tension builds as the novel unfolds.
Mandy
Rating: 3.5
Suzanne
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-slj
I didn't feel compelled to keep reading this and had to push through, so I'm surprised at how many other reviewers seem to have been sucked in to the plot. I suppose different reactions are why so many books are published. We like choice and react differently. My ultimate test is whether I think the students at my school would dig a book. I don't really think I could get this one into a high schooler's book bag.

from SLJ June 2017:
Gr 9 Up--Through time-stamped chapters, this British import focuse
Rachel (Rustling Reads)
The thing that I really love about this book is the fact that no-one gets left behind. This novel follows two girls, Jess and Eden, both healing from traumatic experiences. And while they both try to deal with their problems alone, when Eden goes missing they both discover that strength comes from friendship and support. You don’t have to do all the work by yourself.

Eden Summer is set in the north of England, which is unusual enough to note in YA novels. And so much of this novel is embedded in
Jess
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating = 3*s

You can read this review in full here: https://bookendsandendings.wordpress....

Eden Summer was a book I heard about over the summer, with my interest piqued by the interesting description, the emphasis placed on Jess and Eden’s friendship in the blurb, and the pretty cover, and at last I have finally gotten around to reading and reviewing it!

There were lots of aspects about this book I really liked, and one of the main ones was definitely the setting. As the description on Goodreads
Katie B

Jess can't believe it when she arrives at school and finds out her best friend, Eden, has gone missing. After being interviewed by police, Jess tries to piece together the events of last summer in order to find out what happened to her friend. Despite a close friendship, they have both kept secrets from one another. Will uncovering the truth help bring Eden home?

The story gripped me from the beginning. The disappearance of a teenage girl was compelling enough but the story really held m
Sarah Dunnakey
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I absolutely loved this. Such a vivid portrayal of friendship and families and what it means to deal with grief and tough times but come through stronger. Beautiful writing and a cracking pace. Can't wait to share it with my teenage daughter
Tara Guha
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eden Summer is a page-turning thriller that also packs a big emotional punch. Add to that the West Yorkshire landscape, stunningly brought to life, and you have an extraordinary book. Hard to believe that this is a debut - I can't wait to see what Liz Flanagan writes next! Highly recommended.
Jaina Rose
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blogged
This review is also available on my blog, Read Till Dawn.

Eden Summer isn't really a book I ever would have picked up on my own–too YA for my tastes–but I was still intrigued when a copy of it showed up on my doorstep a few weeks back. I love murder mysteries, so I hoped the search for Eden would involve lots of character analyses and shocking plot twists.

Well, I was right about the first part at least. There isn't much action in the book, mainly just characters wandering around and talking/remem
Eleanor Luhar
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I keep falling behind on wiring my reviews, sorry! I really need to get back on track. I finished this on Tuesday I think? I really enjoyed it, although it isn't quite worthy of five stars.

I'm going to put in a trigger warning as there are mentions of substance abuse, physical abuse, death, adoption and suicide.

Jess's best friend has gone missing. Through interviews with the police and Jess's personal recollections, we begin to build up a picture of Eden's life before her disappearance. Her sist
Elisha
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
EDEN SUMMER by Liz Flanagan is a rollercoaster of a novel. In this contemporary young adult book, Jess’ best friend, Eden, has gone missing. Eden’s disappearance is the cherry on top of other devastating events Jess has lived through. Refusing to face any more heartache, Jess is determined to find Eden before the worst happens. Teaming up with Liam, Eden’s estranged boyfriend and Jess’ secret crush, the pair search all the places Eden could be. As memories from the past begin to resurface and ne ...more
Michael Smith
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a fair number of YA novels of the “teen romance” sort (I’ll read almost anything if it’s well-written) and there are certain features and themes that are common to most of them. Flanagan, whose first novel I believe this is, has taken a rather different path in her story, and quite an original and empathic one.

Jess Mayfield is a skinny sixteen-year-old semi-goth and very talented artist living in a tiny town in the Yorkshire dales. Her best friend, Eden Holby, is a completely different so
Louise Douglas
May 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
So first of all, Eden Summer was maybe not the best name to choose for a book – I just searched on Waterstones website to get a link to the book and it turns out Eden Summer is the name of an erotic fiction writer – so if you tell people you’re reading Eden Summer and they give you a funny look, you know why!

I picked this book because it was set in Hebden Bridge and I like reading ‘local’ books. I’ve been going through a bit of a Young Adult spell at the moment so this kind of appealed to me for
Nikita
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book.... I have no words to describe the feelings that this book made me explore! Heartbreak, thrill and suspense and much much more. The writing made me admire this book so much, the way it was written and the flow of language was amazing.

I was a little confused and frustrated at times at the way the book seemed to define friendship and to me that clashed a little with my definition of friendship. I found myself constantly thinking “why the hell would you do that to a friend?”

The li
Eve beinguniquebooks
After Jess heard her best friend Eden has gone missing, she sets off on finding her herself by recalling everything since the beginning of the summer when Eden lost her sister and Jess was attacked before that.

Both suffered and are suffering through their traumas and we are how much the girls rely on each other for support

Liam Eden's boyfriend and Jess shared a kiss but it's more while Eden went off with a guy called Tyler whom she trusted with Her shocking secret discovery about her family and
Andreia
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At the halfway point I thought this was going to be a solid 3 stars, maybe more if it picked up but unfortunately, my interest waned soon after. I felt like the story wasn't really going anywhere? I wasn't really connected to the characters either. The constant flashbacks were also quite disorientating too in terms of the flow of the plot.

It wasn't a bad book by any means, just not for me. A little boring and the writing felt overly flowery at many points. Sometimes I just want simplicity rather
Jae
I think I would have liked this book better if I wasn't familiar with the town and surrounding area in which it is set. It wasn't a bad book, as it engaged me enough to finish it, but I spent too long trying to work out which places were being referenced, which kept pulling me out of the story.

That said, I am very glad that the thing that happened to the protagonist didn't end up being what I thought it might.
Helena
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eden, Jess's best friend has disappeared! By retracing her steps through the summer Jess tries to uncover the mystery surrounding the disappearance. Did she really know Eden........? What exactly is freindship......?
an interesting and provocative read
Jess Munnery
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this, how it was set over a day with flashbacks giving all the context. I love Jess (totally not biased by name!) but Eden was unlikable for me. Which is really difficult when the whole plot revolves around finding her.

• Wild Lily
  • Den Mund voll ungesagter Dinge
  • Weiß wie Schnee, Rot wie Blut, Grün vor Neid: Ein mörderischer Schneewittchenroman (Märchen heute, #1)
  • Hearts & Other Body Parts
  • Himmelsfern (Himmelsfern, #1)
  • Katzenwinter
  • Melody Jackson and the House on Lafayette Street
  • Wake the Hollow
  • Whenever I'm with You
  • American Savage (The Savages, #2)
  • Elanus
  • Velocity
  • Finding Cherokee Brown
  • Die längste Nacht
  • Stolen Memories
  • Tales From My Closet
  • Taken
  • Faceless
Liz writes for children and young adults. She teaches creative writing, and lives in Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire, with her husband and two daughters. She used to be Centre Director at the Ted Hughes Arvon Centre, and previously worked in children's book publishing.