Start by marking “The Soul Thief (The Horizon Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Soul Thief (The Horizon Chronicles, #1)

The Soul Thief

(The Horizon Chronicles #1)

Alexa has a very big problem. She’s dead.

Worse, instead of meeting her maker, she’s pulled into the world of the Guardian Angel Legion—a secret band of angels dedicated to protect mortal souls from demons.

But Alexa’s life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn when she’s sent back to the mortal world to investigate a series of murders and missing souls and is attacked b
Published February 7th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Soul Thief, please sign up.
Michelle I don't think so, but it's free on Kindle so even if you just downloaded the Kindle App onto a device you could read it for free. …moreI don't think so, but it's free on Kindle so even if you just downloaded the Kindle App onto a device you could read it for free. (less)

Start your review of The Soul Thief (The Horizon Chronicles, #1)
Siobhan Davis
Mar 02, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: angels, demons
I have a bad case of cover envy - seriously this cover is to die for. I absolutely love it and it conveys the genre so well. Beautiful. I want to read this book for the cover alone even if that blurb is also very enticing.
Linda Levine
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Alexa is a young girl that dies too young. She is sent back to Earth as an angel to investigate some unusual deaths. It is her first assignment and it does not start off well. The demon hunters that are supposed to be allies of the angels are not happy to have an angel getting into their business. Erik is one of the hunters and she is not sure what to make of him. She is attracted to him and knows no good can come of those human feelings.

I really enjoyed the story and the characters. It is easy
Suzfahrealz
May 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Oh, Lord.....where do I start on this one. Let's start with a personal apology to myself for picking this up and reading it based upon popular demand. To the people who made this book "popular", you have no taste. And suck.

"The Soul Thief" by Kim Richardson. I guess I should have figured with a title called "The Soul Thief" this was going to be fun....
The overall story's INTENTION was appealing to me; a girl brought back to life to join an angelic army to fight off demons. Because I'm five. And
Lyn Mckenzie
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book.

This is the first book i have read by Kim Richardson and i have to say that i was completely and utterly blown away while reading this, Such an amazing story, so lifelike and like nothing i have ever read before, i am now hooked on her work!!! If you haven't read any of her work i strongly suggest that you pick up a copy of her work, I am definitely going to read the rest of her work.

This story is like nothing i have ever read before an
Michelle
Nov 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
3.5
It's an interesting story. It held my attention and I really wanted to see where it would go. I wasn't disappointed in where it went either. While I liked this book in general, I probably won't read the others in the series unless I have excess money and am desperate. Not because it was a bad book, but because it's a high-stress-nothing-will-get-resolved-never-ending type of book. Meaning that unless the end is AMAZING, it will be a let down.

Pros: I like the setup and lore of the world. I wa
Amber van Rij

When I started reading this book I was really intrigued by the idea of an angel on earth that had to fix murders. However a few chapters in I had the feeling like it was written by a thirteen year old wattpad user.

I think that the storyline could have a lot of potential but I didn't feel it.

Towards the end of the book there is one scene that reminded me an awful lot about Harry Potter and the deathly Hallows. It felt like the scene was copied and pasted into this book, with only a few
Natalie panda eyes
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Incredible

I’m in love with this series, a rookie guardian angel, demons and forbidden love. Alexa is strong where it counts but still has mortal emotions, which makes her relationships with the other characters all that more meaningful. There’s mystery, but I think the main theme is finding where she belongs. The story was perfectly paced and consistent from beginning to the end. The ending alone makes me want to stay up later than I already have and get a start on the next book.
Nikki
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Soul Thief by Kim Richardson is an amazing 5 star read.
Alexa Dawson is dead, she's 17 years old and has found out she has now to train as a guardian Angel. After a year she's sent back to earth to investigate a series of deaths where the souls have been taken and the eyes burned away, she's trying to figure things out when she meets a group of Sensitives, who are humans who can see through the veil and see Angels and other supernatural creatures, they also fight against Demons, the sensitiv
Jassicca
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: angels, demons
Although this series was written in a third person, just like the Soul Guardian series, which made me hard to connect with the main character, however, with the intriguing storyline in this book, it was much more enjoyable. Having the same concept of the world, this time, we get to read the guardian angel stationed on earth. Alexa didn't do it on purpose, but her fear of water had prevented her to go back to the Horizon.

In the mortal world, Alexa met Erik, who has an issue with the Legions. He's
Michelle Blueheart
"May the souls forgive me."

All right, OK. I'm late, sorry.
Well, first. I decide to do something new and read an advance copy of this book made by Kim Richardson. So, let's start!

Not all angels are pompous asses. Some actually care about us. Like you.

Fine, the story is pretty light to be fantasy, and certainly is OK, because the supernatural description is actually easy to understand.
I had no problem with the characters, but Erik and Alexa... I just couldn't believe it. It was some kind of insta
nicoftangelo
Leenkie
Jun 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Lola
Dec 15, 2019 rated it liked it
For a long time now I´ve been feeling like I'm outgrowing Young Adult literature, and this book confirmed my beliefs.

I did liked it, the core the story is good angels fighting demons, a talking dog and all buuut, I felt the the romantic plot is forced in the story just to appeal to the soft hearts of teenage readers. I found myself making huge eyerolls with some dialogs and mostly skimming through some scenes, still the story is interesting enough for me to keep reading to the end and to want t
Cary Morton
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved The Soul Thief by Kim Richardson - though I'll admit, I nearly dropped it down a star. Overall, the story was great. I liked the plot, the characters, the new spin that was put on the lore… the writing was well done and well-paced.

The only real qualm I had was that the romance between Erik and Alexa seemed forced. There were too much past tension and angel v.s. sensitives dynamics going on for Erik's sudden change of heart to make sense.

That aside, I still loved the book and its captivat
Francesca
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
The main reason I am giving this book 3 stars is because of the Alexa and Eric relationship. For me it did not work, there was no spark, I was on no level rooting for them. Because of the supposed feelings she got after knowing him for about 2 hours, she turned into a lovestruck teen who made bad and stupid decisions in my opinion.

The rest of the book was very interesting can’t wait to see where it goes next. Hopefully it won’t involve Eric.
Tabi Wares
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was better than the other one I read by the same author (Steel Maiden). Still not great. I almost DNFed it, but the storyline was interesting enough to get me past the bad writing. It was alright. I’m not going to read the others though.

Also someone should count how many times the phrase ‘Alexa knew’ and variations are used. It really interferes with that whole ‘show don’t tell’ cardinal rule of writing.
Sam
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I tried. I did I really wanted to enjoy this book. It has all the kind of stuff I love. But too often I found myself rereading because the author skipped details. Thing A is happening... now Thing B is happening. No transition between the two. Someone gets a phone call and their phone is suddenly in their hand. Plus, what do Haru and Evelyn look like?? A point was made to describe everyone but those two. They feel like faceless filler.

Overall, I just... I couldn't finish it. I tried but..
SA Krishnan
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting YA read
Alexa is dead and now she is investigating the murder of a young girl, whose soul is missing!
The premise was neat and the way Alexa as the new angel was trying to get behind the mystery, was explained very well.
Though Alexa and Erik’s love angle was cute, it still somehow drew the attention away from the main story. But the focus of how Alexa tries to get to the bottom of the mystery was well connected and neatly drawn out.
Enjoyed it.
Brittney Vasquez
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a Thrill Ride

I loved this book. During the fact that I work from home and spend most of my time at home with the pandemic it was nice to go inside a book and feel the courage of an angel and mortal love story. Much different to the other angel and mortal love stories I have read this one I enjoyed the last half of the book had me on the edge of my seat and I could not put it down. I can't wait to read the next book. To see where Alex's story goes next.
Yvonne Wood
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5. Enjoyed this book but was a bit disillusioned with the help the Legion gave Alexa which didn't ring true to me. Too many discussions by the archangels and no action to help mortals stood out so not sure I will continue with this series but certainly give it a whirl as I may have read too many daemon stories this month. ...more
Slow Reader Alex
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
JaeTee
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't stop reading

I accidentally read the entire book in a day. I started it.in the morning and was just gonna read a few chapters then go about my day but it was so good I couldn't stop reading. I really enjoyed the story. The characters are complex and interesting. I really recommend this book.
Aleksandra
Nov 10, 2020 rated it liked it
It wasn’t bad and it wasn’t really good, but complety in between. The idea behind the story was cool! But I didn’t much care for Alexa, and some of her choices seemed very childish. I guess death didn’t teach her much. Some things were straight from high school drama, and therefore way too obvious for my liking. I don’t think I will continue with this series.
Sharon
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wowp

This story caught me on the first page and didn't let me go. I cared about Alexa and kept wondering what was going to happen next.

I loved this book so much I bought book 2.
Kath
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
An Interesting Angel Story

This is an interesting story of angels, demons, and special humans who fight demons. A gentle love story and a story of betrayal, trust, and fighting for what’s right, even when no one believes you.
Kenneth Ing
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced intriguing new vision of God (the Chief), Angels, and Mortals

Loved the smooth flow of the story. The vision of a different relationship and reality of the age old concept of the Guardian Angels.
Hollie Lee
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good read

I really didn't think this book was going to be as good as it ended up being. I was pleasantly surprised. I liked the characters and the storyline. I didn't want to put the book down and wanted it to keep going.
Flamingcrystal Flamingcrystal
A rookie Angel versus demons...

A good, clean fantasy/paranormal story that will appeal to new/young adults and older adults too. I would love to read the rest of the books in this series.
Heather
Mar 01, 2021 rated it did not like it
Ouch. Terrible. I couldn't finish it. Two chapters in and I was already annoyed at the main character and how pathetic she was. Two chapters in and one of the other "angels" tries to drown her because he hates her for some reason, and bullies her. Ya. Thats lovely. I'll pass... ...more
Abagail Murphy
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it was beautiful and frustrating and kept me in the book ... read it just a few hrs .
Goodreads Librari...: add book to serie 3 15 Sep 27, 2017 12:10PM

• A Throne for Sisters (A Throne for Sisters, #1)
  • Nightmares (The Coven Series Book 1)
  • París puede esperar  (Especial Confinamiento)
  • La Biblia de los Caídos. Tomo 0 (La Biblia de los Caídos #1)
  • La Biblia de los Caídos. Tomo 1 del testamento de Sombra (La Biblia de los Caídos #2)
  • Dead at Twilight (Shaded Falls, #1)
  • Turned (The Vampire Journals, #1)
  • Gateway (The Gateway Trilogy, #1)
  • Luna Azul
  • Moonburner (Moonburner Cycle, #1)
  • Shadow of Doubt (The Potentate of Atlanta, #1)
  • La chica de un solo ojo
  • La Curandera: Una Sanadora en Tiempos de la Inquisición
  • Magic Touch (Supernatural Bounty Hunter #3)
  • Awakening (The Equinox Pact #1)
  • The Sorcery Trial (The Faerie Race #1)
  • Legend (The Temple Chronicles, #11)
  • Los desaparecidos: Un cuento de misterio e intriga
Kim Richardson is the award-winning author of the bestselling SOUL GUARDIANS series. She lives in the eastern part of Canada with her husband, two dogs and a very old cat. She is the author of the SOUL GUARDIANS series, the MYSTICS series, and the DIVIDED REALMS series. Kim's books are available in print editions, and translations are available in over 7 languages.

The Horizon Chronicles (4 books)
  • The Helm of Darkness (The Horizon Chronicles #2)
  • The City of Flame and Shadow (The Horizon Chronicles #3)
  • The Lord of Darkness (The Horizon Chronicles Book 4)

News & Interviews

“Nunca podrían estar juntos. Nunca. Era imposible.” 0 likes
“Se dio la vuelta y miró a la cara de Lancelot. "¿Estás vivo?" "Técnicamente no, pero he estado mejor, gracias",” 0 likes