Start by marking “A Justified Bitch (A Las Vegas Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Justified Bitch (A Las Vegas Mystery, #1)

A Justified Bitch (A Las Vegas Mystery, #1)

It takes a guilty bastard to make a justified bitch.

When a severed finger shows up on her doorstep in a seedy section of Las Vegas, Helen Taylor does not freak out. She’s already crazy, as evidenced by her junk-stuffed house and its ever-growing population of cats. There’s also Bobby, her long-dead husband. Helen talks to him regularly, and Bobby talks back.

The finger and
Published August 8th 2017 by Imbrifex Books

To ask other readers questions about A Justified Bitch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Justified Bitch

Arah-Lynda
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do not judge this book by its cover!  Do not judge this book by its title!  Neither of these serve the story very well.

It says Las Vegas Mystery #1 and I was all settled down to read a murder mystery or police procedural set in sin city.  Somewhere along the line, the murder and the killer took a backseat to Helen’s story.  But I am getting ahead of myself.

The dead woman’s severed finger was found just feet from Helen’s door step.  Helen used to be a teacher but that was before her husband
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Zoeytron
Shelves: netgalley, read-2017
This is that true case for not judging a book by it's cover. That cover and the title totally suck for this cute little book. It's good. It deserves better. My thanks to my buddy Zoeytron's review for cluing me in on this one.

You meet Helen, she is the neighborhood crazy cat lady.

Literally.
Helen hoards junk for the swap meets and talks to her dead husband Bobby.

Helen is good people.

Then her phone sexing neighbor gets cut into a million pieces. The police know that Helen may know something abou
Zoeytron
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Zoeytron by: Arah-Lynda
Copy furnished by Net Galley for the price of a review.

Meet Helen. Crazed cat lady, certifiable hoarder, and a very talented swap meet queen. Helen sees messages in everything. She also sees her dead husband, Bobby. He's quite the cutup. Chasing ghosts, conversing with the dead . . . it's time for your medication, Helen.

I cannot imagine what the marketing rationale is behind either the title or the cover. I would not have even bothered to read the synopsis for this if not for Arah-Lynda's engag
Carol
"I remember things, but sometimes I don't remember what I remember."

Helen...Helen...Helen...I love Helen....her discussions with her long-dead husband....her love of swap meets....and her love of cats!

Have you ever had one of your furry friends bring you a creepy gift? I sure have (some still alive) and the one that Helen receives from Wary the cat wreaks havoc and brings out the police in full force....but Helen can't remember where the little piece of incriminating evidence came from....so it'

Louise Wilson
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A severed finger shows up on her doorstep in a seedy section of Las Vegas. But Helen Taylor does not freak out, she is already one crazy lady. Helen is a hoarder, her house is full of cats and she has conversations with her long-dead husband, Bobby. Helen is now a suspect in her neighbours murder and ends up spending a night in jail.

I really liked the character Helen, and her conversations with her long-dead husband Bobby, and the fact that Booby answered her back. Helen has a booth at her local
☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆
I give this book 5 out of 5 Cuckoo Stars! I just LOVED this book! This was definitely an unconventional type of read. This story was just fun and made me feel better about my insanity. That’s right here goes the part where Dani brings her crazy filled life into the story!

I have battled a very severe and rare mental illness since the age of 7 that has been an ongoing struggle since then. I am thankfully on a stable dose of medication and am able to function properly as possible but that was not a
Babus Ahmed
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
When her neighbour, Bebe, is murdered Helen finds herself and her eccentric lifestyle under scrutiny. Helen believes she can hear and see Bobby her deceased husband, refuses to bathe and groom herself and lives with a number of cats in squalor. After being taken into custody by the police her sister, Pat turns up and although they have been estranged for years feels a sense of responsibility and guilt for not being around. With help from the detective on the case can Bebe's killer be caught befo ...more
Maureen
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, mystery
When I first read the book description of ‘A Justified Bitch’, I was immediately curious about this read. I love mysteries and the fact that this book had a confused main character just spoke to me. So I was super happy when I received the email that I could read and review this book.

First of all, I love this cover. I’ve read that most people don’t seem to like this cover, but I seriously love it! I love how the orange grabs your attention, and it just makes me want to start reading. I think it’
Richard
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Realistic! That is the best description I can provide for this short, easy to read crime novel set in present-day Las Vegas. I received this book free from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. It was written (skillfully) by H.G. McKinnis, and published by Flattop Productions, Inc. of Las Vegas in 2017.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is very realistic. The dialogue is believable, and the descriptions of the Las Vegas environment is accurate and colorful.
Linda Zagon
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank NetGalley and Imbrifex books for an ARC of "A Justified Bitch" by H.G. McKinnis for my honest review.
The genres of this book are Mystery and Thriller,Suspense, and General Adult Fiction.
H.G. McKinnis does an excellent job in describing the devastating effects of mental illness on a family.
The story starts when Helen Taylor, finds herself holding a finger and sitting near by her house, where a body has been found murdered next door. Helen lives in a delusional world with her
Jessica
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First of all, a big thanks to Imbrifex and Smith Publicity for the advanced copy in exchange for my honest review. Also, for the blog spot to kick off the tour!

A JUSTIFIED BITCH by H.G. McKinnis definitely grabbed my attention for two reasons: the title (how can you ignore that?) and the tagline - it takes a guilty bastard to make a justified bitch. Consider me instantly intrigued. I will say, this is a classic example of "don't judge a book by it's cover". It does not do the book justice.

It all
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Helen is a bit of an eccentric hoarder. Her husband died in an unfortunate accident a decade ago and her hoarding never got any better, but he's still there for her as she still sees him and their banter is fantastic. Imagine a woman with twenty cats that she can't properly take care of causing infestations of bugs and an abundance of cat feces and urine. A severed finger is found near her home but she's not bothered. Nothing really gets to Helen these days. However, she becomes a suspect and ha ...more
Chris
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Opens up with a murder in an old section of LasVegas Helen’s neighbor has been grisly murdered. She was cut up and one of her body parts ended up in Helen’s yard. Police are trying to question Helen but aren’t getting very far. The reason is because Helen has a mental illness. She cracked when her husband, Bobby died. As a matter of fact she talks to Bobby all the time. Enter her well to do sister with her 2 sons trying to clean up this mess. While Helen is in jail she meets 2 hairdressers and t ...more
Courtney Stuart
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a fascinating murder mystery and is sold with the tag line that is the first in the Las Vegas Mystery series which pleases me no end.
We start off a little awkwardly by viewing the world through the eyes of Helen, named after Helen of Troy. It is so confusing at the start until you understand that the person she is having a conversation with is her dead husband Bobby. Then we are confronted with a pet dropping a gift of love at Helens feet – a severed finger complete with French manicure
Dave
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
A Justified Bitch is a light-hearted murder mystery and family relationship drama, and is easy-to-read and quite goofy. It is actually a bit outside the type of book that I normally read and feels like it is more on the "chick-lit" side than the gritty side of the mystery world. Nevertheless, the author knows how to spin a fairly good yarn and much of it makes for a compelling read. I think that the novel is at its best when it gives Helen's point of view. Helen is a hoarder extraordinaire with ...more
Halley Sutton
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked the characters--particularly Helen--a lot. It was a unique blend of supernatural and mystery and family dysfunction, the latter particularly being where the novel shone. It felt to me like the "mystery" got pushed to the side until the last 50 or so pages and even then, the resolution was a little ho hum. But I did enjoy the ride with Helen and Cleo and the supporting cast.
Hannelore Cheney
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Helen, an eccentric woman living in her squalid house in a seedy area of Las Vegas with many cats, is still talking to her dead husband Bobby, who died years ago in a hiking accident. A former English teacher, her current living is made by selling goods at a weekly market. Her house is filled with filthy garbage and her personal hygiene non existent. When one of her cats brings home a severed finger, the police appear to find the dismembered body of her prostitute neighbor and believe Helen may ...more
Gillian
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Justified Bitch

Meet Helen Taylor aka the cat lady one day while sitting on the porch one of her many cats delivers a severed finger it's from Bebe a neighbour once beautiful but who has let drugs take over her life now she will do anything for her next fix including prostitution phone sex among other things.
When police visit Helen to see if she witnessed anything they discover the severed finger which make them wonder if she is involved in the brutal murder of her neighbour. Helen lost her hu
Debbie Littley
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very entertaining fun read - highly recommend! I can't wait to see what the next books in the Las Vegas Mystery series are about!
The book starts out with the gruesome murder of a Las Vegas former call girl who lived next door to Helen, a middle aged woman suffering from an undiagnosed mental illness that stemmed from the loss of her husband Bobby.
When a severed finger arrives on her doorstep Helen is thrown into the middle of a murder investigation and suddenly her whole life is being examined
Reader Views
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Anna Riley for Reader Views (10/17)

As in the words of the Talking Heads, “Psycho killer, Qu’est-ce que c’est?” author H.G. McKinnis captures readers in her debut novel, “A Justified Bitch” with quirky Helen Taylor. Helen speaks to her dead husband, has lots of cats, and sells “antiques” at a jockey lot, looking like a straight-out demented serial killer. When murder erupts in Helen’s sordid neighborhood the only question is did she do it?

McKinnis does a clever job of combing wit, sus
Jan
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some days can turn into a real nightmare, especially when your neighbor is dismembered more or less under your eyes. Of course, it's difficult to sort things out when you talk with your dead husband, have way too many cats, and a hoarding problem.

Helen Taylor is Det. Jake Madison's closest thing to a witness, but hardly a reliable one. She exists mostly in a dream world. Bebe, the victim, was extraordinary too - a whore past her prime, gardener, whose new profession provided phone sex.

Pat Hender
Sarah Rife
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the My first book review for Netgalley. I was a little worried on which one to pick, but when i seen "Bitch" in the title, I thought "That has to be the one"!! How could that not catch your eye, right?!

This book was refreshingly different than most books i have read lately! It's not the serious action packed thriller mystery you might be expecting. I was actually relieved when it turned out to be funny! It was almost like Okay i can take a breath, relax, and just enjoy the book.

The firs
Elizabeth
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I agree with some reviewers not to judge this book by it's cover, title, or even its first chapter. At first I was like "what is going on with this Helen girl" and was somewhat rolling my eyes. Then I started reading more and got hooked when her sister, Pat/Cleo, was introduced.

This book was a very interesting and fast read for me. VERY unexpected, but I really enjoyed it. I read this on a Saturday/Sunday and just flew through the book 100 pages at a time.

This story revolves around both a detect
Sarah Simone
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
This book has all of the elements I love... mystery, insanity, murder, and clever dialogue. Helen sees things but she is not stupid. Helen forgets things but not important things. Helen's infamous hooker neighbor was dismembered and the detective on the case wants to know if she and her deceased husband Bobby saw anything. I loved Helen and her quirky friends and family. I thought the characters all had a great dynamic and likeability to them. The mystery aspect made the story fun, although it w ...more
Bev
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, have-read
This story has so many realistic factors to it, you may wonder if it is actually fiction. There is a finger found on the property of a hoarding cat lady. When asked about the finger by the police, Helen, really doesn't seem to make much sense. Alice is constantly talking to Bobby, her dead husband. The police place Helen in a mental facility and call her sister from Phoenix. Pat arrives with her two boys, and try to help the police understand Helen. But Pat and Helen really are not close, so Pat ...more
Carly Glick
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Paul
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I rece
Steve
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Justified Bitch is an amusing and funny mystery novel. It reminded me of some of the funnier and unique work by Janet Evanovich. The book contains a bit of everything that you would expect in a well-written novel; and some ingredients that you might not predict. I am familiar with the Las Vegas, where this takes place. However, until reading A Justified Bitch I was not cognizant of the subtle mental care aspects of Sin City.
The writer has given us a different and interesting take on the genre
Vnunez-Ms_luv2read
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I did not know what to expect from this book. It was different. Take one cat lady who talks to her dead husband, a hoarder and assorted other characters and a severed finger. What do you get? A book that is well written, interesting, and gives insight on mental illness. A very engrossing read. Thanks to NetGalley, the author and the publisher for the ARC of this book as well as the paperback copy (from the publisher) in return for my honest review. I look forward to reading more from this author
Jay Williams
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an outstanding story on many levels. It includes a murder mystery, a family reconciled, emergence from grief, and coming of age. The style of writing helps the story along with just the right level of description for the action being portrayed. Helen is a woman developed in so much depth she is like an old friend or as described "a wacky aunt." The boys are true adolescents, with a developing relationship with their mother. So many wonderful vignettes provide smiles or frowns, but everyt ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Cozy Case Files: A Cozy Mystery Sampler, Volume 1
  • Falcon Wild
  • The Tree House
  • Cold to the Touch
  • The Charter
  • Black Diamond (Wilds of the Bayou, #2)
  • The Tracker
  • Getting Off On Frank Sinatra (Copper Black Mystery #1)
  • DIS MEM BER and Other Stories of Mystery and Suspense
  • No Place to Die (Sean Richardson #1)
  • Kind Nepenthe
  • Writers of the Future Vol 32
  • Tuesday Falling
  • The Feast of All Souls
  • The New Sultan: Erdogan and the Crisis of Modern Turkey
  • Full Disclosure
  • Royal Family: Years of Transition
  • Nixon's White House Wars: The Battles That Made and Broke a President and Divided America Forever