Start by marking “Keep You Safe” as Want to Read:
Keep You Safe

Keep You Safe

For readers who love issue-driven fiction, Melissa Hill has written a breakout novel exploring the "to vaccinate or not" debate and the tragic consequences of one mother's decision on another.

Single mom Kate O'Donnell is living her worst nightmare. Her young daughter, Clara, who has a medical condition that doesn't allow her to be vaccinated, becomes critically ill when o
Published August 22nd 2017 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about Keep You Safe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keep You Safe

Start your review of Keep You Safe
Deanna
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

4.5 Stars!!!

“What if your choice for your child could harm someone else’s?”

The above sentence alone made me want to read this novel. I was intrigued and after reading the description; I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it. This was my first read from Melissa Hill and it was a good one!

A mother knows best, doesn’t she?

The book opens as Kate O’Hara is waiting for her five-year old daughter, Rosie to come out of pre-school. It’s imperative t/>/>
Crumb
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Are you at fault when a decision to protect your child backfires? Can you be to blame if something unforeseen and completely disastrous occurs when your only intention was to covet and shield your child from harm?

These are the questions that Melissa Hill unpacks by vehicle of this novel. Nothing could ever prepare our protagonist, Madeline, for the consequences that result from simply trying to protect her children.

If that isn't a draw to make you read this book.. than I don't know what is!
Kathryn
4.5 stars. Keep You Safe by Melissa Hill is most certainly an issue driven book. You may never have considered vaccination as an issue. My generation took it for granted as something you just did. I still highly value the blessing vaccinations bring in countering many illnesses. Yet there are those who differing thoughts about it. I have a niece who does not believe in vaccinations for her children, and it worries me, so when I read Trish at Between my Lines review, for Keep You Safe I knew it w ...more
Trish at Between My Lines
This review was originally posted on Between My Lines

Well if ever a book reminds you that there are two sides to every story, it's Keep You Safe by Melissa Hill. I would have said I had little or no interest in the topic of vaccines, but this book transformed it into an absorbing subject. I engaged with all the characters and thoroughly enjoyed every single page of this courtroom saga.

First Line of Keep You Safe by Melissa Hill

“The bell rang out and on cue they started to appro
Dale Harcombe
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four and a half stars.
Every parent makes choices for their children. This book focuses on the issue of vaccination. For single mum Kate O'Hara, she never had the choice of whether to vaccinate her child Rosie against measles, because Rosie is one of a small percentage of children allergic to the vaccine. Vaccinating her could be life threatening. Blogger, Madeleine Cooper and her husband Tom had a choice. Believing they had studied the information available they elected not to vaccinate th
The Book Review Café
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 ⭐

I decided to read Keep You Safe as I was intrigued by the book description it’s the first book I’ve read by Melissa Hill and what a book it turned out to be, it’s a thought provoking read, and it’s one that will certainly cause heated debate amongst its readers. My own son was vaccinated and there was no doubt in my mind at the time I was doing the right thing, back in the early 1990’s it wasn’t something you questioned, with the lack of internet you took everything medical experts told you
Elaine
Rating: 4.5/5

This is a thought provoking read, concerned with choices which are controversial regarding the voluntary vaccination of children against Measles, Mumps and Rubella. Carla and Rosie are two girls attending the small village school and neither of them have been vaccinated. Carla didn’t have it because her parents chose not to have her vaccinated. Rosie was severely allergic to ingredients in the vaccine so was unable to have it. Both girls develop Measles within days of ea
lacy
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A super special thank you goes out to Goodreads and Harper Collins publishing/ Mira Books. Thank you so very much for allowing me to read this book beforehand. Please note that this is an uncorrected proof that I read. So somethings I mention might not be in the final version of the book and that they are totally subject to change!

Wow! I mean, I am just floored with what I read. From the first page to the last page, it was an incredible, thought provoking book. I mean, I am at a loss for words
Michelle Lynn
Jul 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Maybe it's just me, but I resent someone trying to force me to feel sympathy for a character who lacks any empathy or foresight.
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club, 2017-books
To vaccinate or not to vaccinate your children? For some parents the decision to vaccinate is not so easy. With claims of autism and other side effects associated with the vaccine floating around, some parents choose not to vaccinate their children. For the main characters in Melissa Hill’s novel Keep You Safe, Kate and Madeleine, both have chosen not to vaccinate their children. Kate’s is for a valid medical complication reason, while Madeleine’s is based on an informed choice she and her hu
Sue Gerhardt Griffiths
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, book-club-2018

Keep you safe by Melissa Hill covers the sensitive subject matter ‘to vaccinate or not’ your child/children against childhood diseases. A terrific and well written, thought provoking book. There’s plenty of drama in this compelling tale and a conclusion that was very satisfying.

A fascinating read!
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 Stars

A thought provoking and issue driven book concerned with the choices we as parents make to vaccinate our children.

Two children opted out of the vaccination program for different reasons and both come down with measles. Who is to blame? It’s a failure of science or of parenting?

This issue is a contentious one and the reader sees how the story goes viral — everyone has an opinion on who is at fault. Melissa Hill has written a vivid and real book and no matter wh
Liz Barnsley
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In “Keep You Safe” Melissa Hill takes on the vaccination debate in a fictional setting and the whole thing was utterly gripping, thought provoking and ultimately made it difficult to absolutely come down on one side or the other.

Two children, opted out of the vaccination programme. One for very very understandable medical reasons – there is a very real chance a jab could kill her. The other for very different reasons, a stance taken by parents afraid of possible side effects. Both gi
Kat Ficalora
I wanted to like this book.

I really, really did.

I was hoping for a story with insight into the anti-vax and conspiracy camps, all while maintaining solid reason and understanding of vaccinations.

Instead, I had a book that delivered a moral along the lines of "People get sick, bad things happen! You can't prevent it!" Methinks that he term herd immunity was not fully understood here, despite it's numerous uses in the book.
Mandy White
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
i really got into this book and read it in one day. i felt for the characters. when Kates daughter Rosie becomes sick with measles it is the beginning of a nightmare. Rosie is allergic to the vaccines. a powerful story that really makes you think and is scary to think how easily it can happen. thank you to Netgalley and Harlequin Australia for an advance copy of this book to read and review
Rach
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
A good read overall, what brought the rating down for me was the quality of writing. The dialogue was inconsistent, particularly when switching between first and third characters with no real structure or purpose, and was quite repetitive. The legal aspect felt poorly researched and slapdash. New characters were introduced randomly later on with no introduction, adding to the confusion around dialogue. Decent subject matter but poorly executed, I found the twist at the end more irritating than s ...more
Claire Allan
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Two things immediately sprung to mind when I saw what this books about. The first is that, at the age of four, I developed Measles myself. I remember it as being particularly unpleasant and that I was so unwell that I could not even go upstairs at home and had to sleep on the sofa for a week - my poor father sleeping on the floor beside me. (My mother was in hospital having just given birth to my sister - the stress must have been immense).
The second thing is that I'm more than aware of th
booksofallkinds
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
KEEP HER SAFE by Melissa Hill is a powerful and emotional story centred on the divisive issue of childhood vaccination.

Two mothers of two little girls have both made their own informed decisions centred around vaccination and decided against it - one because of a serious allergic reaction, and the other because of a personal belief of the dangers involved. But when both of these little girls contract measles, it will leave one of them fighting for their life. And as the medical bills pile up, t
Renita D'Silva
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Heart breaking yet warm and very real. A book to make you think.
Margaret Madden
Kate's five-year-old daughter Rosie could not be vaccinated because of an intolerance to the gelatine used in live vaccines. Her classmate Clara was not vaccinated either - her mother Madeleine chose not to, fearful of its side-effects. Neither women anticipated the outcome of their decision, and Melissa Hill's new novel examines how both their worlds are turned upside down when their children are hit by the measles virus.
It is not against the law to refuse the childhood vac
Maggie61
What a brilliant gut wrenching read this was! Is someone who chooses not to have their child vaccinated liable when someone else who is infected by their child gets sick or worse?
This debate about whether or not to have your child vaccinated will probably always go on. Some expects say there are no risks while many link it to autism or other risks.
When my adult children were of the age for their vaccinations, it wasn’t even debated. All the controversy came after that; while when I was a
Annette
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
3.5 stars. This novel attempted to tackle a very weighty subject of childhood vaccination. And while it got many things right - representing feelings of parents on both sides of the issue for one, it fell short in a few others. The ending was just too utterly perfect (and a bit wet eye inducing) that is just not realistic or plausible. It’s as if the author just got tired of the weightiness of the subject matter and gave up.
Claire
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very easy summer read. Keep You Safe is a fairly standard, issue based novel, with a healthy dose of social drama and some sly romance on the side. If this is what you’re looking for, it’s enjoyable and easy to read. If you’re looking for a more serious discussion of the vaccination debate look elsewhere.
Michelle
Sep 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
MEN DOES NOT CAUSE AUTISM

You should have come out one way or the other at the end. Feel like you chickened out. Vaccines are safe...PERIOD!
Rachel
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a parent we all want what is best for our child and we all do things that maybe another parent may decide not to do. A lot of the time parenting is finding your way through many obstacles and worries to get through the other side with a healthy and happy child. Once I read the blurb I was very intrigued as to how things would play out. Now the topic of vaccinations is a highly emotive subject along with many other parenting issues. You only need to go onto a baby/parenting forum to see posts ...more
Kate’s Book Spot
Being a mum to four children means I always approach books involving children with caution, it’s a delicate subject for me. I was, however, very interested in reading about the other side of children’s vaccinations. All of my children had the recommended vaccines and I must admit that I hadn’t even contemplated the alternative so I had a feeling this would be a thought-provoking read!

As I got to know each family I realised pretty quickly that I liked one more than the other and I won
Rachel Gilbey
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking, unputdownable, utterly addictive, full of emotion in places, and incredibly well researched is just about the best way I can sum up this new direction for Melissa Hill.

Focusing on a topic that can be controversial, vaccinations, and the book manages to put forward all manner or arguments for and against the topic, it rationalises the two very different reasons that Madeline and Kate made to not vaccinate their children, and takes you on a rollercoaster ride.

It feels like a b
Colona Public Library
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. This book was about a parent's choice.

Kate's daughter can not be vaccinated due to health reasons. When Rosie was a baby and had her first immunization, she was deathly ill and following Doctor's advice Kate and her late husband decided they would not risk giving her the other shots.

Madeleine's daughter Clara was also not immunized because of personal choice. Madeleine decided she wasn't going to immunized both her children because of her sister-
Kelly A
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
This book is certainly about a hot topic, to vaccinate or not to vaccinate. I love that the story was written from many points of view, although I found it hard to keep track as the POV changed sometimes in the middle of chapters. When she wrote from the child's POV, it clearly was not the voice of a 5 and a half year old. But I also couldn't put it down and finished it in 2 days, so who knows. An interesting read for sure!
Sheena
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 out of 5. Very different from the other Melissa Hill novels I've read but I liked it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Hideaway
  • I Invited Her In
  • If Only I Could Tell You
  • In Search of Us
USA Today & international #1 bestselling Irish author Melissa Hill lives in Dublin. Her page-turning, contemporary novels of families and friendship are published worldwide and translated into 25 different languages.

Her books are regular chart-toppers in Ireland and internationally, and SOMETHING FROM TIFFANY'S (aka A GIFT FROM TIFFANY'S) - a holiday romance set in New York - becam