Start by marking “Edebiyata Dair” as Want to Read:
Edebiyata Dair

Edebiyata Dair

Kendime sıkça sorduğum bir soru var: Bugün bana birileri yarın kozmik bir felaketin evreni yok edeceğini söylese, yani bugün yazdığımı yarın okuyacak hiç kimse kalmazsa, yine de yazar mıyım?

İlk anda buna hayır yanıtı veriyorum. Kimse beni okuyamayacaksa neden yazayım ki? İkinci anda yanıtım evet oluyor ama sadece galaksilerin yaşadığı felakette birkaç yıldızın hayatta kala
Published December 6th 2016 by Can Yayınları (first published 2002)

Start your review of Edebiyata Dair
Scribble Orca
Nov 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers, fans of Eco, literature reviewers
Shelves: literary
Seen this film by Luc Besson?

A 21 hour plane trip is usually the only chance I have to watch a few films. The last long journey I made offered such a dismal selection that for this trip I was already packed with every single one of those books on my 'currently reading' list and determined to finish each (and write a review) whilst on the first and longest leg of my two sector flight.

The best laid plans of ants and a person.

I decided to start with Umberto Eco, and following my fickle habit, I ope
Jill
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There's an essay in this collection titled "On Camporesi: Blood, Body, Life." In it, Eco writes about Piero Camporesi, who in his writing apparently "invites us to look inside ourselves" -- not just emotionally, but viscerally, in terms of blood and body. Eco finds this very strange, unique, and suggests -- perhaps sarcastically, but I doubt it -- that you read it in small doses. It's too real, this guy's writing, you see: you probably can't handle it all at once.

And that, in a nutshell, is why
Dimitris
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These speeches on Literature that make up this book were perhaps the most difficult thing I've ever read. Many things I didn't understand, but many others left me in awe. 4 stars therefore, plus 1 for the Greek translator. I can't even begin to comprehend what knowledge is needed to perform this task!
Quiver
The ever erudite Umberto Eco. The fan will find much to learn from this collection; the others might find the occasional gem but also the occasional drudging essay. Particularly noteworthy are 'Borges and My Anxiety of Influence', which gives the clearest discussion of how literary influence flows and in which direction, and 'Intertextual Irony and Levels of Reading', which discusses the palimpsestic nature of any text.
Arun Divakar
Umberto Eco has been an author whose works I have been trying to finish albeit unsuccessfully for quite some time now. I have tried twice to finish 'Name of the rose' but gave up half way in the process for want of a better reason. Foucault's Pendulum was no better either. The books seemed to mock me ' you need to read much better than this to get to us, boyo !!' was what they seemed to tell me. Every time at the library I pause at the rack on Eco's books and think "Should I ? or Should I not ? ...more
Milla
The book is a collection of rewritten essays on literature from the past 20 to 30 years. The range of topics in the book is vast and for someone who (me) is neither an expert nor a student of the field, some of them are beyond difficult to follow. However, the essays that deal with Eco's own novels and other familiar books are very enjoyable. What I appreciate the most is the chance to learn how someone with actual knowledge of the history and literary references understands the mentioned books. ...more
Imran Kazi
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, Eco is brilliant, clear and factual on all things he has to say. Some of the articles requires understanding of Italian literature or classical literature which I skipped because my lack of knowledge. But those on symbolism, perception of American culture in Italy, and particularly 'How I write?' and the 'The power of falsehood' were superb. The last two are actually pretty necessary to understand Eco's novels and the ideas from which they germinated.
Jean Tessier
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leisure
The book is a collection of essays written by Umberto Eco for various conferences.

On Some Functions of Literature (2000)

Literature keeps language alive. It creates a shared body of stories and characters. Different authors each given them their own spin, but their core is part of the collective consciousness.

A Reading of the Paradiso (2000)

Paradiso is about light, which was an important concept to medieval readers and thinkers. Cathedrals are all about different kinds of light. We don't pay
Helie
Oct 22, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: incomplete
Quote I hated: "the wretches who roam around aimlessly in gangs and kill people by throwing stones from a highway bridge or setting fire to a child—whoever these people are—turn out this way ... because they are excluded from the universe of literature and from those places where, through education and discussion, they might be reached by a glimmer from the world of values that stems from and sends us back again to books."
Ilia
Oct 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: out-on-loan
"On Literature" opened my eyes to the horizons of literary criticism. (Caveat: I knew nothing about lit-crit then, and still know next to nothing about it now.)

Eco combines several essays - each focused on one book (most of which I still haven't read) and on a particularly striking aspect of this book.

Reading "On Literature", you are led into the dark and imposing forest of literature and suddenly realize that it's not as tangled and incomprehensible as you imagined.

One of the essays explores th
Christy
Feb 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
A mixed bag; ceremonial talks at awards ceremonies probably aren't where a scholar produces his best work. He's at his dullest talking about the authors he admires, like Joyce or Borges (and outright useless talking about ones he doesn't, like Oscar Wilde), and at his best talking about things like the persistent influence of Aristotle's Poetics in modern ideas about narrative, or the rhetorical structures in The Communist Manifesto. I just like the fact that he's one of those rare figures (his ...more
Sunny
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved this. always love books about books. he mentions maybe around 75 books here the majority i hadnt read or heard of but had read a good dozen that hes spoken about so it was interesting hearing his perspectives on them. the chapter where he talks about the name of the rose is really interesting and how he writes and how he prepares for sometimes 2 years researching, and drawing and taking pictures and notes was incredible. its inspired me to do the same with my book. very scientific approach ...more
William Schram
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. Umberto Eco is a very well-read man. I enjoyed reading this because of his multiple references to his own works and other works. Eco especially likes The Divine Comedy and mentions it every chance he gets. He also talks about James Joyce and Jorge Luis Borges a lot, which explains his influences and other things.

I would read this again.
Venereal Bede
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My intimate induction into literary studies and post-structuralism. I can recall reading this on a park bench when a 50-something-year-old pedophile impertinently nested his smushed arse next to me, and after a time lapse worth a generic convo, as if that particular morning had imposed some time constraints on his still-virile genitalia, the subject asked my opinion on sexual homo-social relations. This has nothing to do with the quality of the book, I just want to lament the fact that once my p ...more
Julia
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is worth reading, however, it seems that it heavily gravitates towards repetitions of my favorite "Six walks in fictional woods" and very much of "Confessions of a Young Novelist". Mr. Eco discusses the main pillars of his approach to creative writing, on developing ideas, and meticulous technique of developing the story in time and space. To me, it does not seem necessary to set the action, let's say, on 15th of October 1895 in Paris in the 5th district, and then to check the exact tim ...more
Carole B
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will have to reread this when I am smarter, but I thoroughly enjoyed what I understood. As most collections of Eco's work, this is an assortment of essays and speeches, but this one particularly has a more studied style. As for the individual pieces, three stood out as addressing the process of writing in a broad context: "On Some Functions of Literature," which addresses the eternal problems of what literature does and how it exists independent of its author; "Borges and My Anxiety of Influen ...more
Samuel
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Umberto Eco's ON LITERATURE is another literary treat. These are three hundred pages of sublime thoughts from the superstar academic-novelist. What I loved about this book is how Eco really goes in to the technical aspects of storytelling.

There are useful chapters on the 'functions of literature', style, symbolism and irony.

My favourite chapter is called 'How I Write' where Umberto Eco writes about how he ended up writing most of his successful novels, especially THE NAME OF THE ROSE.

And the
Robert Day
4.79% "One of the functions of literature is to create true fictions. If we change those truths, which we can through hypertextuality, then... well, then what? Then fictional truth becomes untruth and Eco gets the lip on? Well, boo-hoo."

6.89% "Eco likes Dante's Paradiso a lot and seems to imagine that others don't."

8.38% "Eco thinks the Communist Manifesto is a fine piece of rhetoric and should be studied as such. Not sure whether that makes him a communist, though."

18.56% "Eco talks about a boo
Bryan Szabo

Eco reminds me of many things, but this most of all: that which I have read is but a drop in the bucket. There are moments in these essays that make this point more obvious (especially since Eco addresses his readers as though they are familiar, even intimately so, with the works--even the arcane ones--under discussion. Still, his erudition and clear delight vis-a-vis the written word is inspiring.
Gitta
Aug 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, language
I like reading Eco on his writing and on language in general. He takes an infectuous delight in language, as a reader and as an author. Other than the Name of the Rose I have not managed to finish any of his novels, but am fascinated by the processes he lays out in this book, and in Mouse or Rat, another non-fiction book by him about translation.
Aaron
Apr 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you only I have time to read a few of the essays in this book, read the following:

1) On the Style of the Communist Manifesto
2) On Symbolism
3) On Style
4) Intertextual Irony and Levels of Reading
5) The American Myth in Three Anti-American Generations

These are, in my opinion, the best of an excellent set of essays.
Tim
Jul 24, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldnotfinish
I understand Mr. Eco is one complex dude, but when you're writing about literature please keep the sentences to less than four dependent clauses. Sheesh...
Zach
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eco is a genius, a pleb like me would've titled this "How to Write Wicked Awesome Stories"
Irina Gavrish
Many ideas and thoughts in the book were interesting and quite fresh, at least for me.
However, the way they are presented is not appealing to a reader at all. To tell the truth, I have no idea for whom the book is written. Definitely, not for a totally unprepared reader, who wants to learn more about literature. The author thinks that you ALREADY know a lot about it, he never explains basics.
So I thought that maybe the book is for people somehow connected to the discipline of literature, for e
Phoebe
Hmm, my first foray into the mind of Umberto Eco and I didn't love this like I thought I would. He's unbelievably intelligent and cultured (I swear my brain grew new synapses with every page) but also hard to follow. I found a glaring lack of references to women in history and women in literature. Every single author or figure of importance to Eco is a man, which is disappointing and narrow-minded, despite the man's genius. I interpreted his lack of reference as a dismissive attitude toward the ...more
Jonathan Selvam
Scholarly & densely erudite, with a heavy textbook-like overtone to the prose. If only more of the ‘Joycean signifiers’ could've melted into the ‘Borgesian signifieds’, this work would’ve been much more palatable. Also, the untidy coherence induces a somewhat nonfiction cubism. Several subsections appear scattered, and venture too deep into historical iconography & semiotics, hijacking the reader's focus away from the main themes. Occasionally, it is not until after a few paragraphs that a tie-i ...more
KimNica
Apr 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays
The back cover calls this 'a collection of essays' which is a bit misleading. At least half of the texts assembled here are academic papers written for academic conferences - not really accessible to the general reader and not really fit to be published in a book like this.
That being said, Eco writes well and this collection contains a number of enjoyable pieces. I especially liked the chapters on the style of the Communist Manifesto, on the power of falsehood, and on how he writes.
Nosemonkey
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As ever with Eco's nonfiction, some excellent insight, some smug self-indulgence, and some impenetrable obscurity. But plenty here to engage (with some judicious skimming and skipping).
Gabriel
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: italian
required reading for anyone planning to write abt Il Paradiso
Gabriel
Read with Eco's Six Walks in the Fictional Woods for a pretty good idea of Eco's poetics. Both books examine the limits of what can be done by the author through examining the experience of the reader. This collection doesn't really get going until about 100 pages in, with its pair of essays on Borges, but after those first 100 pages, it is a delight (and he explains a bit about why one can have 100 pages that might not interest the reader, because his ideas about the "model reader" and writing ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• A History of Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years
  • The Art of Fiction: Illustrated from Classic and Modern Texts
  • The Birth of Tragedy
  • How Fiction Works
  • The Breakdown of Higher Education: How It Happened, the Damage It Does, and What Can Be Done
  • The Thursday Next Collection Books 1-3: The Eyre Affair, Lost in a Good Book, The Well of Lost Plots
  • Creative Writing: A Workbook with Readings
  • A Death in the Family
  • A Journal of the Plague Year
  • Tender Buttons
Umberto Eco was an Italian writer of fiction, essays, academic texts, and children's books. A professor of semiotics at the University of Bologna, Eco’s brilliant fiction is known for its playful use of language and symbols, its astonishing array of allusions and references, and clever use of puzzles and narrative inventions. His perceptive essays on modern culture are filled with a delightful sen ...more