Start by marking “Bachelors Get Lonely” as Want to Read:

Bachelors Get Lonely

(Cool and Lam #21)

Hardcover
Published 1961 by William Morrow & Co

To ask other readers questions about Bachelors Get Lonely, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bachelors Get Lonely

Start your review of Bachelors Get Lonely
James Thane
This is a fairly typical entry in the Donald Lam/Bertha Cool series. Bertha is delighted to have found a new client for the firm--a fine, upstanding businessman named Montrose Carson. Bertha believes that the kind of clients they usually recruit keep getting the firm into trouble. A substantial, impeccable client like Carson will raise them above all that.

Carson is a developer who is suddenly facing a new competitor. Carson believes that someone in his office is leaking information to the
Dave
Bachelors Get Lonely fits well into the universe of the Cool and Lam detective series, Gardner's slightly offbeat comedic series of private eye novels. The series revolves around the juxtaposition of Heavyset coarse greedy Bertha Cool who takes anything a client says at face value and brainy bantamweight Donald Lam who ends up doing all the leg work.

Here, a thoroughly pedestrian case of commercial espionage develops into a typical fifties private eye world of illicit affairs, no-tell motels,
Stven
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes I just need a book that I know I'm going to like, and that impulse brings me back again and again to Erle Stanley Gardner and A. A. Fair. This one is late in the canon, published in 1961, but it's as happy a read for me as the early ones. Bertha is always trying to get "respectable" business for the detective agency, but when Donald gets on a case somehow things never turn out that way. Lots of fast thinking and lots of dames -- just the way we like it!
VijayaRaghavan S N
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Phew...thank goodness it wasn't anything remotely close to what the title suggested. Before I started reading I wasn't aware of any Cool/Lam series. I never heard of it before. So it was a pleasant shock when I found that this book belonged to thriller/mystery category and not an adults only fiction.

Now that I know this book is part of a long running series, I reckoned there would be characters in it from the previous books and that I might be out of sorts there without knowing their background
Rick Mills
Donald Lam, investigator
Bertha Cool, his partner
Elsie Brand, his secretary

Locale: Los Angeles

Synopsis: Appraiser Montrose Carson hires Cool & Lam to find out who is the leak in his office. Whenever he prepares to close on a deal, his competitor Herbert J. Dowling beats him to it at the
Woody Chandler
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another quick, interesting read. Donald found himself embroiled in yet another convoluted situation thanks to Bertha's anxiousness to take on what she felt would be an easy case. Nothing is ever easy in their line of work, but she is a slow learner in that regard. I don't like that Sgt. Frank Sellers again strikes Donald. The romance between Donald & his secretary, Elsie Brand continues to heat up, but with so few remaining books, it will probably remain unresolved. On to the next one!
Tim Schneider
Maybe I wasn't in the mood. More likely Fair/Gardner just hit too much formula with this one. Whichever is the case this was the first Cool & Lam novel in quite a while that I found to be a tough read and just didn't enjoy.

I think it may well be that this far in Gardner really was coasting on the formula. There wasn't much here that we hadn't seen a few times before. And it just wasn't enough different to make it interesting. Add to that Bertha Cool being pretty horribly out of character
Jeffrey Marks
Apr 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've only recently found the Cool/Lam series, but you can count me as a big fan these days.
scherzo♫
Lisa
Jun 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sztuka kochania
  • Raw Speed - The Autobiography of the Three-Times World Speedway Champion: The Perfect Christmas Gift for any Motorsport Fan
  • The Case Of The Worried Waitress: A Perry Mason Mystery
  • His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1)
  • Murder, Money & Marzipan (Lexy Baker #3)
  • School Ship Tobermory (School Ship Tobermory, #1)
  • Omgiven av idioter
  • UX Research: Practical Techniques for Designing Better Products
  • Curious George
  • Dying for Danish (Lexy Baker #2)
  • Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems
  • How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy
  • The Death of Democracy: Hitler's Rise to Power and the Downfall of the Weimar Republic
  • Cause for Concern
  • Extraordinary Birds
  • 3 Bodies and a Biscotti (Lexy Baker #4)
  • The Blood Royal (Joe Sandilands #9)
  • One Bad Witch (Beechwood Harbor Magic Mystery #6)
A.A. Fair is a pseudonym of Erle Stanley Gardner.

Cool and Lam (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • The Bigger They Come (Cool and Lam #1)
  • The Knife Slipped (Cool and Lam #1.5)
  • Turn on the Heat (Cool & Lam)
  • Gold Comes In Bricks
  • Spill the Jackpot
  • Double or Quits (Cool and Lam #5)
  • Owls Don't Blink