Start by marking “Keeping the Distance (I Heart Iloilo, #1)” as Want to Read:
Keeping the Distance (I Heart Iloilo, #1)

Keeping the Distance

(I Heart Iloilo #1)

No bets. No fake relationships. Just a very real one that has to be kept under wraps.

Seventeen-year-old Melissa wants to dye her hair cotton candy pink and focus on her ukulele instead of Physics. But she can't. As the daughter of a Catholic school principal, living up to her model student image 24/7 is a must. Something's about to give under all the pressure. She only hop
Kindle Edition
Published February 6th 2017 (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Keeping the Distance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keeping the Distance

Nat
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diverse-reads
Keeping the Distance is a YA romance set it in the Philippines, exploring one of my favorite tropes: hate to love. And it seems that the books in this genre just keep getting better and better. This one in particular had me giddy till the last page.

Set around Lance Ordonez and Melissa Ortiz falling in love in their senior year, this story is a lot more than meets the eye. Consequently, I've prepared a list of things that made me almost shriek with happiness:

• a richly layered story of love, frie
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
If you like To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han, you should check out this book, particularly, if you’re looking for a YA novel with a boundless romance.

Clarisse David is a master of crafting an excruciating pair that you will ship deep down to the core. Similar to her debut novel, Prom Queen Perfect, Keeping the Distance didn’t deviate from its theme. It’s a coming of age as well, though the focal lens of it is romance.

Keeping the Distance focuses on Melissa, who is the daughter of
mith
you can read this review on my blog as well as two others!

Clarisse David is so, so good at the whole enemies to lovers trope. Twice now, she's had me a little romance mess over her characters and I would not have it any other way. This book made me swoon, laugh, cry, and fall in love with everything multiple times and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I really cannot think of any other way to describe this book! It was so cute! It was so real! From the friendships, romance, and obsessions, David
Silvana [The Book Voyagers]
The newest Clarisse David book made my night. It's the cute type of romance you want with your favorite tropes: enemies to lovers, hate to love, there is so much banter and adorable dates and simply relationship goals. Melissa and Lance did the "falling on the sand and playing around" scene and "kissing her head and throwing my arm around her shoulders." This book is filled with lots of lovely moments and lovely characters. I can't wait for more to come!
emma
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

This is my second book my Clarisse David, and she is now on my list of automatic to-read-authors. This book was superb, and what I loved most about it was the relationships. Not only that between Melissa and Lance, but those of Melissa, her parents, and Cam. This book was not only a fun, cute romance, but a coming of age story. The characters were well rounded and actually felt like high school students. There was enough angst to keep me happy (I love angst even though it
leenahreads
It is official, I am a sucker for high school romances, add hate-to-love to it and you've won me over. My nostalgia to go back and be 16 all over again is eating me alive.

This book is like your perfect guide to cute, swoon-worthy, perfect moments, and soft dates with burgers and fries at drive-through of mcdonalds, and pastel colored dresses. Even at the beginning when Lance and Melissa despised each other's guts and played tricks at each other, it was still extremely adorable (Melissa and her g
April ~ The Reading Belles
I volunteered to review an ARC.

AHHHHHHHH I love, love, LOVE this book! High school romance without sex done RIGHT! Emphasis on romance because the author nailed it so well! Also, set in Iloilo–a place I need to visit real soon! Full review posted below!

Second book of the year to receive my now-elusive 5-star rating. Heh.

PRE-ORDER FOR ONLY $0.99!

FULL REVIEW

Heads up fellow romance book lovers, Clarisse David's books are something to watch out for!

Set in the heart of Iloilo is Saint Agnes Catholic
Nina
Mar 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
The only thing I liked about this book was that it was set in the Philippines. Other than that? Cliched characters, stiff, amateur writing, and a story that completely revolves around the romance.

description

I've never understood the "good girl and playboy have a hate-to-love relationship"....let's be honest, if a teenage boy can get pretty much whatever he wants from any girl he wants, why bother trying to win over a girl who isn't interested? The only time I can believe it is when the girl has been a fri
thai
I’m crazy about fluff young adult books, so it’s no surprise that I would love this one as well, plus thrown in the haters to lovers trope and I’m sold. You’ll find incredible banter, pranks (some gone wrong), detention, and of course, cuteness everywhere.

This story revolves around Melissa Ortiz, the daughter of the principal of a Catholic school. All her life her father has groomed her to be the perfect child, everyone has high expectations of her and what her future holds, but deep down she ha
Yaiza
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mi solución cuando me atasco con algún tocho de SFF es coger un libro de #romanceclass. Siempre son adorables, fáciles de leer, interesantes y tienen conflictos realistas como padres demasiado estrictos que no aprueban que salgas con un chico, la falta de confianza en ti misma o la presión de las expectativas.
Allie (A Literary Wanderer)
first book i've finished in a loooong time. (still in that crayyy slump, sadly)

i enjoyed this cute-short book!
Samantha (A History of Books)
Guys, I’m in love with Keeping the Distance. End of review. Go buy it.

No, no, I’m kidding. but I did love this book so much. I just want to say that this review was supposed to go up a couple of weeks ago, but I dropped the ball on it because of moving, going in and out of the doctors office for physical therapy, etc. A lot just happened at once, and I would have read this in one sitting if I had the time.

So I’m going to start off saying that I’ve been dying to read books by Filipinx authors. Wh
julia ✨
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soooo adorable.
Isabel
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
4.5ish

i miss high school
Inah (The Bibliophile Confessions)
Hate to love trope isn't exactly my favorite but I did enjoy this book so much. Clarisse David writes these types of stories so damn good. It really took me a long time before I was able to form coherent thoughts about the book, I have to admit that I'm still struggling, but screw it. This review might be short but I need to share these thoughts with you, and hopefully force you to pick this book up!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed the banter between Lance and Melissa. It actually reminded me of two of my
Preena
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow! This book is so good. I loved every part of it and this story is something that actually happens in real life and not cheesy at all. Can't wait to read the second book :)
Nica
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*Author sent me a free e-ARC in exchange of an honest review.*

Short story time before I start reviewing this book: I received the e-arc around mid-January, I guess. I wasn’t able to start reading it right away because I was still reading another book that time. But when I finally started reading this, I was only able to read a chapter or two every now and then. I blame my busy schedule in Uni and K-drama. So enough of that. When I finally find time to really read and enjoy this, I CAN’T PUT IT D
Natalie
I really liked this one! It was just a really sweet high school romance.

i'll be honest, In the beginning I didn’t like Lance all that much. He had that cocky playboy thing going on and kept hassling Melissa and she was well within her rights to exact revenge. But as the story went on and we saw more of Lance being a little vulnerable he grew on me. Which i knewww was gonna happen because little by little i was like ugh Lance quit being annoying and yet funny at the same time lol (i was a goner,
Maf (Bookworm Wanders)
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I NEED MORE.
M. Hollis
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
"She knew he meant well, but sometimes, she wished he'd stop pushing so hard and let her be. Be the average student in the middle of the class ranking. Be the quiet girl who never got nominated for class president. Be with Lance."

Clarisse is such a good writer. I love her female protagonists and how she knows how to write them so complex and relatable.

Keeping the Distance it's a cute romance between enemies. Melissa is the nice girl who is the daughter of the school principal. Lance is your typi
Michelle
2.5-3 stars. This just didn't really work for me. It felt like I was being told their feelings more than being shown that they felt that way, so I never really bought the transition to genuine feelings, especially on Melissa's part. And I didn't buy her dad changing like he did, and I also didn't feel like Lance was considerate enough of why she wouldn't want to tell her dad about them. I also wanted the prank war to last longer, because it wasn't even really a war, it was more like she did one ...more
Kristy Mauna
“Whether you want to murder Mr. Rodriguez with one of your headbands, or you need someone to get you a cola slurpee at one in the morning, I want to be the person you trust so much you won’t think of calling anyone else. Small things. Big things. It doesn’t matter.”

Keeping the Distance was the YA romance I never knew I needed. . . I’m going to come right out and say that yes, this book was full of a few cliches when it comes to the good girl/bad boy trope, but somehow it worked for me.

Melissa
Moriah
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*This review will also appear on A Leisure Moment*

**I received an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review**

I now heart Iloilo, and I’ve never even had this place on my radar! Clarisse David broke out into the YA world with her novella Prom Queen Perfect, but this—this! Oh my goodness, this is how romance should always be written, sweet with the perfect dash of salty.

Think One Tree Hill in the Philippines and you have how much I loved this book. Lance Ordonza had it all: Superman good
H. Bentham
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my first Clarisse David book and now I get why she’s on most people’s 1-click list. First few lines at the beginning of this got me hooked, trapped and reeled-in!

The development of the characters, as well as Melissa and Lance’s romance were on point too. Somewhere in the middle, I found myself eagerly waiting for goody-goody Melissa to break and unleash her inner rebel. Her father was suffocating! I get where he was coming from but jeez, let her breathe a little. Melissa as pretty enough
H. Bentham
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Katt Briones
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much - I seriously don’t know where to start. I’ve had this book in my kindle for quite a while now and I’m just so glad I got to read this again. While reading, I felt like I was transported back to my high school years. Clarisse has beautifully set the scenery, making the reader not just see and imagine the characters, but be immersed in that universe themselves. I felt both the angst and the fluff - my favorite combination in any story lol. The transition between scenes a ...more
Shaine H.
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Keeping the Distance in some parts have cliché scenes but I like how I get to read both Melissa and Lance point of view. I also like that twists in this story. Well, there’s one scene that is very sweet! “Kilig” to the bones!

This book is highly recommended those looking for something light, funny and lovable characters.

Surprisingly entertaining is understatement for this, given that the plot is not so unique.

Read full review: https://wandererinneverland.wordpress...
Bookbed
This book is featured on Bookbed! Read our post here.

Please note: We don't use ratings but for this purpose, we tag books with three stars by default.
Would like to be a reviewer/contributor to Bookbed? Sign up here!
We also accept review requests. More info here.
Eri
I'm always in search of a good contemporary YA since a lot of times books in this genre can hit or miss by a mile. Clarisse David managed to hit the sweet spot with the angst and fluff, and I loved Lance and Melissa together.

I really enjoyed this book overall, albeit a few scenes were too cliche and cheesy, but this is a well-worthy read for those of us that appreciate a cutesy romance and will definitely leave a smile on your face.

Maria Isabel Samonte
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Warning: this book will give you diabetes!

The story of Lance and Melissa is so sweet and fun to read. I love the bad enemies to lovers and forbidden love tropes imbibed in this novel. Melissa is a protagonist with many layers. She hides her true self by showing a different character due to the fact his father is the principal in their school and is very strict. Then Lance comes along and helps her break free from the constrains she has on herself.

There is so much character development in this
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Clarisse David is a Young Adult and New Adult author from the land of epic heat waves a.k.a. the Philippines. She graduated with a bachelor of arts in Literature, and cannot survive without red lipstick and books. When not hanging out on Twitter, she can be found working on her latest writing project.

You can find her on Twitter, Pinterest, and Facebook. You can also send her an email at clarisseda

I Heart Iloilo (2 books)
  • Making It Complicated (I Heart Iloilo, #2)
“With a jolt, Lance realized Melissa was pretty. No, not the type that would make him stop in the middle of his morning runs on Iloilo River Esplanade, his gray running shoes scraping against the pavement as he skid to a halt. He realized Melissa was pretty the same way he sometimes caught himself singing along to a song he didn’t even like on the radio. The knowledge sneaked up on him.” 0 likes
“Melissa had never been interested in meditation or yoga, because she liked to think she was the type of person who didn’t need to be. Some other girl grabbed the last pair of the gold flats she’d been eyeing for months? She didn’t even blink. The waiter spilled Coke all over her notes? Fine with her. As the principal’s daughter, Melissa learned long ago to reign in her temper. But there was something about Lance that lit up a spark of rage inside her.” 0 likes