Start by marking “Keeping the Distance (I Heart Iloilo, #1)” as Want to Read:
Keeping the Distance (I Heart Iloilo, #1)

Keeping the Distance (I Heart Iloilo #1)

No bets. No fake relationships. Just a very real one that has to be kept under wraps.

Seventeen-year-old Melissa wants to dye her hair cotton candy pink and focus on her ukulele instead of Physics. But she can't. As the daughter of a Catholic school principal, living up to her model student image 24/7 is a must. Something's about to give under all the pressure. She only hop
Kindle Edition
Published February 6th 2017 (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Keeping the Distance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keeping the Distance

Natalie
Feb 07, 2017 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diverse-reads
Keeping the Distance is a YA romance set it in the Philippines, exploring one of my favorite tropes: hate to love. And it seems that the books in this genre just keep getting better and better. This one in particular had me giddy till the last page.

Set around Lance Ordonez and Melissa Ortiz falling in love in their senior year, this story is a lot more than meets the eye. Consequently, I've prepared a list of things that made me almost shriek with happiness:

• a richly layered story of love, frie
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
If you like To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han, you should check out this book, particularly, if you’re looking for a YA novel with a boundless romance.

Clarisse David is a master of crafting an excruciating pair that you will ship deep down to the core. Similar to her debut novel, Prom Queen Perfect, Keeping the Distance didn’t deviate from its theme. It’s a coming of age as well, though the focal lens of it is romance.

Keeping the Distance focuses on Melissa, who is the daughter of
Cookie
you can read this review on my blog as well as two others!

Clarisse David is so, so good at the whole enemies to lovers trope. Twice now, she's had me a little romance mess over her characters and I would not have it any other way. This book made me swoon, laugh, cry, and fall in love with everything multiple times and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I really cannot think of any other way to describe this book! It was so cute! It was so real! From the friendships, romance, and obsessions, David
Silvana [The Book Voyagers]
The newest Clarisse David book made my night. It's the cute type of romance you want with your favorite tropes: enemies to lovers, hate to love, there is so much banter and adorable dates and simply relationship goals. Melissa and Lance did the "falling on the sand and playing around" scene and "kissing her head and throwing my arm around her shoulders." This book is filled with lots of lovely moments and lovely characters. I can't wait for more to come!
emma
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

This is my second book my Clarisse David, and she is now on my list of automatic to-read-authors. This book was superb, and what I loved most about it was the relationships. Not only that between Melissa and Lance, but those of Melissa, her parents, and Cam. This book was not only a fun, cute romance, but a coming of age story. The characters were well rounded and actually felt like high school students. There was enough angst to keep me happy (I love angst even though it
Jam
Mar 09, 2017 Jam rated it liked it
3.5 stars (goodreads give me half stars or give me death)
this was tooth-rotting sweetness at its core, i swear it went all out with the tropes. i love love love the main female lead, melissa. an overachieving principal's daughter who hides a big passion for pastels and ukelele? sign me UP. it's so nice to see familiar filipino things and values in the story and in the characters. filipino YA lit is finally happening i'm so alive
leenahreads
It is official, I am a sucker for high school romances, add hate-to-love to it and you've won me over. My nostalgia to go back and be 16 all over again is eating me alive.

This book is like your perfect guide to cute, swoon-worthy, perfect moments, and soft dates with burgers and fries at drive-through of mcdonalds, and pastel colored dresses. Even at the beginning when Lance and Melissa despised each other's guts and played tricks at each other, it was still extremely adorable (Melissa and her g
April ~ The Reading Belles
I volunteered to review an ARC.

AHHHHHHHH I love, love, LOVE this book! High school romance without sex done RIGHT! Emphasis on romance because the author nailed it so well! Also, set in Iloilo–a place I need to visit real soon! Full review posted below!

Second book of the year to receive my now-elusive 5-star rating. Heh.

PRE-ORDER FOR ONLY $0.99!

FULL REVIEW

Heads up fellow romance book lovers, Clarisse David's books are something to watch out for!

Set in the heart of Iloilo is Saint Agnes Catholic
Thai (ReadBreatheRepeat)
I’m crazy about fluff young adult books, so it’s no surprise that I would love this one as well, plus thrown in the haters to lovers trope and I’m sold. You’ll find incredible banter, pranks (some gone wrong), detention, and of course, cuteness everywhere.

This story revolves around Melissa Ortiz, the daughter of the principal of a Catholic school. All her life her father has groomed her to be the perfect child, everyone has high expectations of her and what her future holds, but deep down she ha
Nina
Mar 27, 2017 Nina rated it did not like it
The only thing I liked about this book was that it was set in the Philippines. Other than that? Cliched characters, stiff, amateur writing, and a story that completely revolves around the romance.

description

I've never understood the "good girl and playboy have a hate-to-love relationship"....let's be honest, if a teenage boy can get pretty much whatever he wants from any girl he wants, why bother trying to win over a girl who isn't interested? The only time I can believe it is when the girl has been a fri
Samantha (A History of Books)
Guys, I’m in love with Keeping the Distance. End of review. Go buy it.

No, no, I’m kidding. but I did love this book so much. I just want to say that this review was supposed to go up a couple of weeks ago, but I dropped the ball on it because of moving, going in and out of the doctors office for physical therapy, etc. A lot just happened at once, and I would have read this in one sitting if I had the time.

So I’m going to start off saying that I’ve been dying to read books by Filipinx authors. Wh
Julia
Apr 03, 2017 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soooo adorable.
Isabel
Mar 11, 2017 Isabel rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
4.5ish

i miss high school
Inah (The Bibliophile Confessions)
Hate to love trope isn't exactly my favorite but I did enjoy this book so much. Clarisse David writes these types of stories so damn good. It really took me a long time before I was able to form coherent thoughts about the book, I have to admit that I'm still struggling, but screw it. This review might be short but I need to share these thoughts with you, and hopefully force you to pick this book up!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed the banter between Lance and Melissa. It actually reminded me of two of my
Preena
Feb 27, 2017 Preena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow! This book is so good. I loved every part of it and this story is something that actually happens in real life and not cheesy at all. Can't wait to read the second book :)
Nica
Feb 04, 2017 Nica rated it it was amazing
*Author sent me a free e-ARC in exchange of an honest review.*

Short story time before I start reviewing this book: I received the e-arc around mid-January, I guess. I wasn’t able to start reading it right away because I was still reading another book that time. But when I finally started reading this, I was only able to read a chapter or two every now and then. I blame my busy schedule in Uni and K-drama. So enough of that. When I finally find time to really read and enjoy this, I CAN’T PUT IT D
Natalie
Jan 20, 2017 Natalie rated it really liked it
I really liked this one! It was just a really sweet high school romance.

i'll be honest, In the beginning I didn’t like Lance all that much. He had that cocky playboy thing going on and kept hassling Melissa and she was well within her rights to exact revenge. But as the story went on and we saw more of Lance being a little vulnerable he grew on me. Which i knewww was gonna happen because little by little i was like ugh Lance quit being annoying and yet funny at the same time lol (i was a goner,
Maf (Bookworm Wanders)
Feb 16, 2017 Maf (Bookworm Wanders) rated it really liked it
I NEED MORE.
M. Hollis
Jan 17, 2017 M. Hollis rated it really liked it
"She knew he meant well, but sometimes, she wished he'd stop pushing so hard and let her be. Be the average student in the middle of the class ranking. Be the quiet girl who never got nominated for class president. Be with Lance."

Clarisse is such a good writer. I love her female protagonists and how she knows how to write them so complex and relatable.

Keeping the Distance it's a cute romance between enemies. Melissa is the nice girl who is the daughter of the school principal. Lance is your typi
Kristy Mauna
“Whether you want to murder Mr. Rodriguez with one of your headbands, or you need someone to get you a cola slurpee at one in the morning, I want to be the person you trust so much you won’t think of calling anyone else. Small things. Big things. It doesn’t matter.”

Keeping the Distance was the YA romance I never knew I needed. . . I’m going to come right out and say that yes, this book was full of a few cliches when it comes to the good girl/bad boy trope, but somehow it worked for me.

Melissa
Moriah
Feb 01, 2017 Moriah rated it it was amazing
*This review will also appear on A Leisure Moment*

**I received an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review**

I now heart Iloilo, and I’ve never even had this place on my radar! Clarisse David broke out into the YA world with her novella Prom Queen Perfect, but this—this! Oh my goodness, this is how romance should always be written, sweet with the perfect dash of salty.

Think One Tree Hill in the Philippines and you have how much I loved this book. Lance Ordonza had it all: Superman good
Michelle
2.5-3 stars. This just didn't really work for me. It felt like I was being told their feelings more than being shown that they felt that way, so I never really bought the transition to genuine feelings, especially on Melissa's part. And I didn't buy her dad changing like he did, and I also didn't feel like Lance was considerate enough of why she wouldn't want to tell her dad about them. I also wanted the prank war to last longer, because it wasn't even really a war, it was more like she did one ...more
Eri (Airy Reads)
I'm always in search of a good contemporary YA since a lot of times books in this genre can hit or miss by a mile. Clarisse David managed to hit the sweet spot with the angst and fluff, and I loved Lance and Melissa together.

I really enjoyed this book overall, albeit a few scenes were too cliche and cheesy, but this is a well-worthy read for those of us that appreciate a cutesy romance and will definitely leave a smile on your face.

Maria Isabel Samonte
Jan 21, 2017 Maria Isabel Samonte rated it it was amazing
Warning: this book will give you diabetes!

The story of Lance and Melissa is so sweet and fun to read. I love the bad enemies to lovers and forbidden love tropes imbibed in this novel. Melissa is a protagonist with many layers. She hides her true self by showing a different character due to the fact his father is the principal in their school and is very strict. Then Lance comes along and helps her break free from the constrains she has on herself.

There is so much character development in this
Arifa
Feb 06, 2017 Arifa rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

Okay this was such a cute contemporary. Unlike 'Prom Queen Perfect', the characters were more fleshed out which I loved. There was no denying feelings or anything like that which was refreshing. Perfect for a quick read or for when your in a book slump.
glória
actual rating: 2.5. too fast paced for an enemies-to-lovers
Miel Salva
Mar 14, 2017 Miel Salva rated it really liked it
One of my goals this year as a reader aside from reading my ever-growing to-be-read piles of books on my shelf is to discover new works written by my fellow Filipino authors.

Clarisse did not disappoint.

I first met her during the YA talk facilitated by Ms. Ines last year and even then, she already had the aura of a promising writer.

“Keeping the Distance” proved that.

It showcased the author’s wit and inpeccable knowledge of the English language and of how to manipulate the reader’s feelings—a mar
Shenn
Mar 16, 2017 Shenn rated it liked it
Shelves: ph
This was really really cute!!

But also, I felt the romance was a little rushed? Well, considering that it had a short number of pages, I kind of anticipated that.

But then again, I loved reading about places that I've been to. It was so refreshing, relating to a book, the places and not to mention, the father-daughter dynamic :o
Lisa
Feb 23, 2017 Lisa rated it really liked it
Melissa and Lance were so worth it.

Adorable, sweet, lovely and even a little heartbreaking. That is what Keeping the Distance is to me. I was immediately drawn into the story and plot of this book. At several different occasions I found myself swooning over Lance, Melissa, or both of them at the same time.

Although family and friendship was well portrayed in contrast to some other contemporaries, Cam felt a wee bit flat and not as vivid as she could have been. She is a good friend to Melissa, th
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Clarisse David is a Young Adult and New Adult author from the land of epic heat waves a.k.a. the Philippines. She graduated with a bachelor of arts in Literature, and cannot survive without Taylor Swift songs, red lipstick, and books. When not hanging out on Twitter, she can be found working on her latest writing project.

You can find her on Twitter, Pinterest, and Facebook. You can also send her a
More about Clarisse David...

I Heart Iloilo (2 books)
  • Making It Complicated (I Heart Iloilo, #2)

“With a jolt, Lance realized Melissa was pretty. No, not the type that would make him stop in the middle of his morning runs on Iloilo River Esplanade, his gray running shoes scraping against the pavement as he skid to a halt. He realized Melissa was pretty the same way he sometimes caught himself singing along to a song he didn’t even like on the radio. The knowledge sneaked up on him.” 0 likes
“Melissa had never been interested in meditation or yoga, because she liked to think she was the type of person who didn’t need to be. Some other girl grabbed the last pair of the gold flats she’d been eyeing for months? She didn’t even blink. The waiter spilled Coke all over her notes? Fine with her. As the principal’s daughter, Melissa learned long ago to reign in her temper. But there was something about Lance that lit up a spark of rage inside her.” 0 likes