Start by marking “Away from Shore” as Want to Read:
Away from Shore

Away from Shore

Falling in love makes you vulnerable. For all the joy, there is danger, too, and heartbreak. The poems in this collection follow a young woman as she navigates the realm of first love.

Lyrical and full of imagery, the poems are bittersweet, both beautiful and haunting.

This excerpt from one of the first poems, Fire, sets the tone for the rest of the book:

"I took him with
Published November 30th 2016 by Mary McCormack Deka

To ask other readers questions about Away from Shore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Away from Shore

Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful meditation on a vast range of emotions, and all the seemingly small things in nature and everyday life that evoke memories.
Janet
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mary McCormack Deka is a brilliant writer! Her choice of language left me feeling full of imagery in her quest to explain love, loss, and resilience. I am grateful to have a signed copy of this first book of hers and look forward to what else she has in that imaginative mind! Highly recommend.
Becky
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult
A wonderful book full of descriptions that vividly reawakened a time and feelings from the past. Highly recommended!
Terri Wilson
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**I received a copy of this in exchange for a review**

These poems are a beautiful melody exploring the evolution of a love interest. The emotions expressed in this first collection of poems moved me and made me think twice about what I read. I appreciate her willingness to open up and share her joys and pain throughout this relationship. I think it takes a lot of guts to do something like that.
Melanie (Paperback Darling)
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Away from Shore is a collection of poems that greatly describe the magic and vulnerability in falling in love, the crumble and uncertainty of a broken heart and the self-discovery and relief in finally moving on.

Mary McCormack Deka had created such a wonderful collection of poems that you could truly relate to. I’ve only ever gotten the chance to read collections that have contained one specific subject as its focus so it was a first for me to read one like this that contained the journey itself
Erin Riggs
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My friend Mary wrote this book. :)...a truly delightful collection of poems.

When I do read poetry (rare), I usually read collections of works with different authors centered around a common theme. When I have tried to read works by one author, I have tended to get tired of it. But, the diversity of this collection is refreshing. Each poem is unique in content and style, yet all are involved in the same story and same life.

The poems that really grabbed me were ‘Folding and Unfolding” and “Memor
Dhritishna Kalita
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one book that will break through your defences and arouse emotions you never knew you could experience. Assorted in 5 divisions, this collection of 51 poems recounts a young woman’s tryst with love and loss. Each section deals with a separate set of emotions, as poetess Mary McCormack Deka weaves tender verses about the feelings you encounter when you fall in love and when you fall out of it; and how you deal with the eventual heartbreak.

Expect vivid imagery. Metaphors that you revel in
Kate
Paulina Aguilar
Nov 05, 2018
Judi Easley
Jun 18, 2017
Making Connections: 4876. - AWAY FROM SHORE by Mary McCormack Deka 1 12 Apr 05, 2017 07:18PM
Mary McCormack Deka has always wanted to be a writer. When she was little, she invented stories about living in a tree in the forest and making friends with all the animals. She made up stories whenever she was alone—when she walked to school, before she fell asleep.

Nothing makes her feel more alive than imagination. She’s inspired by everything—oceans and forests, stained glass and kizomba danci