Start by marking “Crushing It in Apartments and Commercial Real Estate: How a Small Investor Can Make It Big” as Want to Read:

*GOLD AWARD WINNER, 2018 Robert Bruss Real Estate Book Awards
*GOLD AWARD WINNER, Nonfiction Book Awards, Nonfiction Authors Association
*FINALIST, 2017 Best Book Awards in Business: Personal Finance/Investing
*FINALIST, 2018 Next Generation Indie Book Awards: Finance/Investment

Think apartments and commercial real estate are just for the big boys? Think again.

Brian Murray was
Published January 2017 by Sackets Harbor Press

Be the first to ask a question about Crushing It in Apartments and Commercial Real Estate

Start your review of Crushing It in Apartments and Commercial Real Estate: How a Small Investor Can Make It Big
Christine Zibas
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." --Thomas Edison

Forget the infomercials promising you real estate riches for no work and no money down. Take a lesson from Author Brian Murray, who decided he needed an extra source of income and turned it into a multi-million dollar award-winning real estate company.

If you've ever had an inclination to get into the commercial real estate business or are seeking a better profit than buying and selling (o
Michael Huang
Very often with a book titled like that, you get a bragging author using anecdotes to show off how smart he is. To make it sound like a book, he would explain the success with “principles” that don’t seem to serve well as a proper hypothesis to a scientifically trained reader. (Luck and lies are sometimes much better alternative hypotheses.)

This book is refreshingly different and offers these tips:
* Don't quit your day job and watch your spending.
* Don't hire managers, do all the work yourself.
1st Arrow
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: real-estate
I have found it to be very helpful, friendly manual for novice real estate investors as I am. strongly recommend
Hanno
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: investing
Excellent introduction to real estate investing principles and philosophy behind a successful property management company. Includes comprehensive references to other books, podcasts, etc. While the book is fairly USA-specific, most principles apply generally. A dictionary defining industry terms spanning quarter of the book almost caused a star to be scratched off from the rating.
Wholesome Republic
Solid advice, to the point, and entertaining

I had high hopes based on the reviews, but the content and delivery of this book more than exceeded my expectations. I can't remember when is the last time I read a book where I learned so much, and will definitely read it again multiple times.
Allison Pust
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. The resources in it are gold.
Jonathan Mckay
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Learned a few new good things. I wish there were more numbers and analysis of markets rather than generic strategies on value add and making offers with financing.
Emmanuel Ayeni
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely read, I just finished reading yesterday on blinkist, and I have decided to add it to my personal library to read it again and again.

It is the beginners guide in real estate.
Cameron
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book if you're looking into real estate. As a person who has always focused on residential properties this book really opened my eyes to the bigger less crowed game of multi-family/ commercial units. While this book only gives you the basics its a good starting point.

I will continue to learn more about this avenue of real estate and hope to move into it.

Karan Sharma
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing, informative book!

This really opened my eyes to the world of commercial real estate. Can’t thank the author enough for sharing these tips, tricks and insights. Entertaining read as well.
Adam
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A geek who took a simple energetic approach to real estate who thinks BIG. This is a valuable resource.

Nuggets of Truth:

Every investment is a puzzle and you need to make the pieces fit
The more serious you get about a property the deeper you should dig in
Your risk goes up when you over pay for a property.
Financially modeling a properties noi cap rate determines my price
What maintenance issues are readily evident
I didn't account enough for the unknowns
I really like your property it's got a lo
Mark Manderson
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Before investing in real estate, you need to do the numbers and ensure that the property will bring in cash.

the most important of which are net operating income and cash-on-cash returns.

Net Income: Income generated by property minus expenses and taxes.

Cash on Cash: Take the net operating income and divide it by the property’s price. Now multiply this number by one hundred and put a percentage sign after it. That percentage is the property’s cash-on-cash returns, and the higher it is, the better
Shannon Mckenzie
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fantastic reference! For anyone interested in getting into investing in apartments and commercial real estate, this is the book to read.
Taylor
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finance, real-estate
One of the best all-purpose real estate books out there. Brian teaches you how to think bigger than single-families and duplexes. Extremely thorough and excellent examples throughout.
Alisha
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is filled with a ton of helpful information for anyone in the real estate business or those aspiring to be. I was amazed at how many ways there are to structure a deal, utilize your existing resources to achieve more (bootstrapping), how easy it is to add value to your property if you’re willing to do the work and the importance of doing your due diligence. Brian’s success story is intriguing, motivating and inspiring. What he offers in this fun read is invaluable to real estate invest ...more
James
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME book!

Super informative, and yet written in a way that was so enjoyable to read. This book blends incredibly useful tips, hard facts, subjective opinion (of which I wholeheartedly agreed with, so that certainly helped), humorous quips, and a fantastic ongoing personal account of a real life property that he and his staff completely transformed from a seemingly hopeless situation in to a great investment. Fantastic book from page 1 all the way through to the apendices at the end. I really
Ross Neggers
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read covering several important subjects around commercial real estate investing. The author covers mindset, specific techniques that you can use to create forced appreciation in your commercial investments, excellent recommendations made around property management as it pertains to self managed apartments and commercial properties… And most or all of this drawn upon the authors own personal adventures in real estate ownership. #mortgagesmarter
Ross Neggers DLC mortgage broker Vancouver
Everson Azevedo
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a book!

Being new to R.E investing (3 years) now, and have g the opportunity to read and study the work of many successful individuals, I can tell you that not every book you read is so complete like this one. This book was referred to me by my agent and I'm glad I finally read it. Bryan is great but and he's sharing very valuable information here, specially if you are beginner like me.
I highly recommended this book even you focus of investment is on sfr. You will learn quite a bit fro
Emily
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More than just great real estate advice!

As a small business owner just starting my real estate journey, this book had so many practical leadership and customer service tips that apply to businesses across the board! So much good content and wisdom, really appreciate the authentic approach and ability to give great advice without trying to be a know it all and guru that claims his way is the only way.
Jo
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I used to be a real estate salesperson. The favorite part of my job was to find properties for real estate investors. I was really impressed by this book. It is going on my reference book cases. I received this book from a good reads give away. This book is excellent for real estate professionals and for those who are just getting into real estate investing.
Sean Kelly
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good basic primer

Good top down view of commercial investing. Decent amount of stories and first hand experiences given by the author. Not a book for experienced investors though. If you've been doing deals this may be a bit helpful but pretty basic stuff. I'd say the best audience for this book is people kicking the tires for CREI.
Tony Sala
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Brian provides very clear and actionable ideas to get started in real estate investing. He backs up these points with his real-life stories, struggles, and successes.

While it is primarily focused on commercial real estate, most of the lessons and tips can be applied to residential investment as well. Great for anyone interested in what it takes to make it in real estate investing.
Arie van Gemeren
Great read

Really comprehensive and inspiring. Love the common sense advice and the practical know-how. There are few ways to really get it except by doing it but this is a very useful guide.
Brian Tapp
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read for real estate investors and entrepreneurs

Great resources, format, and tools for everyone from beginner to pro. Solid advice about business and life. Fun to read about the lifespan of a project throughout the book.
Philipp
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great framework to start RE development

Clear and informative book. The author shows intelligence, thoughtfulness, and an admiring level of self-reflection. I find the book a great inspiration and help for me to start my own new path in RE development.
Anthony
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought the book provided a good introduction to key topics and the examples were a nice break from formulas and topics that might be boring for some readers. I appreciated the author was not trying to push any coaching or mentorship programs every other page like most authors.
N Valentin
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good info on commercial investing

This book has lots of good info to get you started. I feel I better understand how to start now.
Justin
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good advice and some lessons learned if you are thinking of buying commercial real estate.
Julio Duran
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best book to read before making your first real estate investment.
João Pedro Sousa
Excellent book

I enjoyed very much reading this book. Recommended for any people who intend to invest in real estate, particularly in commercial properties.

• The Book on Rental Property Investing: How to Create Wealth and Passive Income Through Smart Buy & Hold Real Estate Investing
  • The Millionaire Real Estate Investor
  • The ABC's of Real Estate Investing: The Secrets of Finding Hidden Profits Most Investors Miss
  • Tax-Free Wealth: How to Build Massive Wealth by Permanently Lowering Your Taxes
  • The Book on Investing In Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down: Creative Strategies for Investing in Real Estate Using Other People's Money
  • Long-Distance Real Estate Investing: How to Buy, Rehab, and Manage Out-of-State Rental Properties
  • Raising Private Capital: Building Your Real Estate Empire Using Other People's Money
  • How to Invest in Real Estate: The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Getting Started
  • Set for Life: Dominate Life, Money, and the American Dream
  • Financial Freedom with Real Estate Investing: The Blueprint To Quitting Your Job With Real Estate - Even Without Experience Or Cash
  • Multi-Family Millions: How to Flip and Reposition Small Apartment Buildings for Maximum Profit in Minimum Time
  • The Book on Flipping Houses, Revised Edition: How to Buy, Rehab, and Resell Residential Properties
  • Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat: The BRRRR Rental Property Investment Strategy Made Simple
  • Am I Being Too Subtle?: Straight Talk From a Business Rebel
  • Commercial Real Estate for Beginners: The Basics of Commercial Real Estate Investing
  • The Book on Managing Rental Properties: A Proven System for Finding, Screening, and Managing Tenants With Fewer Headaches and Maximum Profit
  • Rich Dad's Cashflow Quadrant: Rich Dad's Guide to Financial Freedom
  • If You Can't Wholesale After This: I've Got Nothing For You..

News & Interviews

“People usually know what they should do to get what they want. They just won’t do it. They won’t pay the price. Understand there is a price to be paid for achieving anything of significance. You must be willing to pay the price.” —JOHN WOODEN” 0 likes
“Everything around you that you call life was made up by people that were no smarter than you, and you can change it, you can influence it, you can build your own things that other people can use. Once you learn that, you’ll never be the same again.” —STEVE JOBS” 0 likes