Start by marking “The Alice Network” as Want to Read:
The Alice Network

The Alice Network

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  141,264 ratings  ·  14,331 reviews
An alternate cover for this ASIN can be found here.

In an enthralling new historical novel from national bestselling author Kate Quinn, two women—a female spy recruited to the real-life Alice Network in France during World War I and an unconventional American socialite searching for her cousin in 1947—are brought together in a mesmerizing story of courage and redemption.

Published June 6th 2017 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Alice Network, please sign up.
Dennis Webb I haven't read the book. But it sounds interesting. I rather think Ann might be wrong about sexual behavior in that era, especially as a universal…moreI haven't read the book. But it sounds interesting. I rather think Ann might be wrong about sexual behavior in that era, especially as a universal statement. If she would read "Canterbury Tales," she would learn that humans have always had "loose" morals.(less)
Laura Andrews The Nightingale is one of my favorites ! All the Light We Cannot See is another favorite about a blind girl surviving the war.

·  141,264 ratings  ·  14,331 reviews

Emily May
“Facing a pistol-wielding murderer does tend to put parents further down the list of things to be intimidated by.”

The Alice Network, to put it plainly, is too long a book for one of its two perspectives to not work for me. Most of my three star ratings are "I liked it, but...", though in this case it's more that I liked roughly half of the book and had to force myself not to skim through the other chapters.

Many historical books use the perspectives of two characters more successfully than this
Jennifer Masterson
"The Alice Network" was a nice escape for me. I enjoyed one part of the book but not the other. There are two storylines going on. I absolutely loved the story in 1915 but the story in 1947 was just OK for me. I didn't like the character of Charley nor that storyline. I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction so maybe it's just me. A lot of people loved this book.

I listened to the audio version. The narrator was very good. No problems there.

WWI storyline - 5 Stars
WWII storyline- 2.5 Stars

If you e
Diane S ☔
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the last several years women from many different walks of life and ethnicities, and their integral contributions to the arts and science are being uncovered, recognized and brought to mainstream attention in books and movies. The Alice network, operating in France, is another such contribution, taking place during the first world war and was a spy network consisting of women. Women who put themselves in grave danger to collect information that the allies could use to defeat Germany.

I enjoyed
Liz
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing

What a fascinating story! And to discover it's based on a real woman, Louise de Bettignies or Alice Dubois. I love a good historical novel and this one ranks right up there. Telling two parallel tales, one of several female spies in Lille during WWI, the other of a pregnant college student looking for her cousin who went missing after the end of WWII. Eve Gardiner, one of the spies, is the link between the two stories. Both stories held my interest, which is a feat. I usually find with dual stor
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
2.5 stars. I'm disappointed in myself for not enjoying this more than I did. I really thought I would love this book, yet I barely even liked it.

I really enjoyed learning about The Alice Network and that amazing piece of history involving female spies. These women were brave secret agents leading double lives during WWII aiding their country in uncovering highly classified information. These unsung heroes risked their lives as much as any soldier on the battlefield and I have so much admiration
Angela M
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it

I was introduced to an aspect of war that I haven't read much about - espionage, and even less so to an aspect reflecting the courage and intelligence and iron will of women serving as spies during WWl. Two time frames are connected even though there are two different wars, through the character of Eve Gardiner . She meets Charlie St. Clair in 1947 and we become privy to Eve's fascinating and intriguing life as a spy in 1915 during WWI. Charlie is searching for her cousin Rose, who was living in
Paula Kalin
Jul 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Paula by: Bookclub
I’m in the minority with this book. I did not like the author’s writing and found The Alice Network to be repetitious and quite tiresome.

There is no doubt that historically women played an important role in WWI and WWII. Their courage, sacrifice, and strength should be rejoiced. This book, however, really wasn’t about the history, it was all about 2 woman’s silly behavior.

1947’s Charlie St. Clair’s story was so flip. Pregnant and single, drunk, sleeping around - these should not be the highligh
Malia
― Kate Quinn, The Alice Network
This is a very short review, but I couldn't stay completely silent on this book. The Alice Network is excellent, and I might go so far as to say it is among my favorite this year, or even among my favorite historical fiction novels ever. It had everything I wanted - mystery, history, adventure, drama, romance, wit - and though it is quite long, I was n
Eleanor
Oh dear! I slogged through about 150 pages of this 500 page book before giving up. It purports to be historical fiction, set partly in 1915 and partly in 1947. I say purports, because just telling us the date won't really convince the reader, when a young woman in 1947 says "nice wheels" in reference to a car. And then back in 1915, writing about Folkestone and the refugees there, we are told that "more French and Belgian (was) heard on the docks than English". Belgian is a language? Who knew?

Th
Dorie  - Traveling Sister :)
THIS AUTHOR HAS A NEW BOOK COMING OUT IN FEBRUARY, "THE HUNTRESS", I HIGHLY RECOMMEND READING THIS NOVEL WHICH IS NOW IN PAPERBACK". INCREDIBLE HISTORICAL FICTION!

I really loved this book. I hadn't read anything about women spies during WWI, lots about WWII, so this was unique. The characters were great, well described with lots of depth of understanding of what it was to be them.

I think this is one of the best historical fiction novels I have read this year. I will write a longer review and po
L A i N E Y
Steel blades such as you and I do not measure against standards for ordinary women.

Louise de Bettignies

If this book was an anime, Charlie St. Claire would be what we call ‘filler’: A character or episode that is non-canon and was just there to make the anime longer, hence, filler.

This is, of course, absolutely a personal experience but Charlie’s chapters more often than not were always always in the way of the bigger, more important action. I felt like I spent half the book trying to get her
Christine
4.5 rounded to 5 stars

Over the last few months, I can’t seem to get enough of these World War I and II historical fiction novels. Almost every one I have read has been such high quality, and this one is no exception.

As is often the case in these stories, there are two timelines (1915-1916 and mostly 1947). I found myself equally engrossed in both. Eve Gardiner features prominently in both eras. For much of the book I found it difficult to reconcile the Eve during WWI with the post-WWII Eve. They
Susanne  Strong
3 Stars.

The Alice Network was a Traveling Sister Group Read with Norma, Brenda, Lindsay and JanB. The sisters were split on this one, which was quite interesting!

The Premise of The Alice Network is a fascinating one: a historical novel based on the true story of a female spy network which took place during World War I. The best part of it for me however, was reading it with my sisters.

This is a novel told in two timelines.

In 1915: Eve Gardiner and Lilli are spies: Eve is a seemingly innocent,
Lucy Langford
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“There are two kinds of flowers when it comes to women,” Eve said. “The kind that sit safe in a beautiful vase, or the kind that survive in any conditions . . . even in evil. Lili was the latter. Which are you?”

This book brings together two incredibly different women; one, a female spy recruited in WW1 for the Alice Network to spy on those involved in the occupation in France during 1915. The other, an unconventional American socialite, pregnant, and in search for her missing cousin who disappea
Erin
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

Do you know what happens when one of your favorite authors leaves her usual stomping grounds and tackles your favorite period of world history? First, you geek out like the nerd you are. Then worry sets in and you start to psyche yourself out over whether or not the novel will live up to your inflated expectations. After that, you vacillate back and forth between the two. This continues until you actually get opportunity to
Brenda - Host of Traveling Sisters & Friends
4 stars for Norma and I
3 Stars for our Traveling Sisters

Traveling Sister Group read with Norma, Susanne, Lindsay and JanB

We read this book along with three of our Traveling Sisters and Norma & I ended up having different feelings about this novel than our other sisters did leaving us lost in the coulee without our sisters as we enjoyed this a little bit more than they did.

The Alice Network is an interesting, fascinating, and an extraordinary historical fiction novel that is centered around
JanB
This was a group read with the Traveling Sisters: Norma, Brenda, Susanne, Jaline, and Lindsay
2.5 stars, rounded down

My favorite part of the book was learning about the female spy network during WWI, called the Alice Network. The name is taken from the leader, the real-life Louise de Bettignies, who used the pseudonym Alice Dubois. What a shame these women went so long without getting the recognition they so deserved. They were truly brave and inspiring women who saved the lives of many with th
Lori
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
i could not put this down! From the first chapter I was hooked. Memorable characters and an engrossing story. Glad that the bulk of the story focused on WWI rather than WWII... also, loved that it was based on actual people & events. 4.5 stars.
Purple Country Girl (Sandy)
I won a copy of The Alice Network in a Goodreads Giveaway.

I loved The Alice Network. It is by far the best book I’ve read this year, maybe even in the last few years. I was fully invested in the wonderful characters and the fantastic story from the beginning. I love books set in WWI and WWII and The Alice Network takes places during the former and shortly after the latter. A bonus is that much of the book takes place in the French countryside.

In 1947, Charlie St. Clair is a nineteen year old Ame
Norma * Traveling Sister
Traveling Sister Group read with Brenda, Susanne, Lindsay and JanB

I found this book to be a very interesting and fascinating read that was quite enjoyable although there was some issues that I had with the authors portrayal of one of the characters. I so enjoyed learning about the remarkable women of the Alice Network and really appreciated that there was some truth to this story. Would recommend!

The full Traveling Sisters Review can be found on our sister blog:
Theresa Alan
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Are you ever afraid?”

“Yes, just like everybody else. But only after the danger is done—before that, fear is an indulgence. Welcome to the Alice Network.”

Based on real characters and events, The Alice Network is a historical novel about two women who meet in 1947. Eve had been a spy in World War I. Charlie is a pregnant American in search of her cousin, Rose. Everyone assumes Rose died during WWII, but Charlie wants proof, which leads her to Eve.

The story weaves back and forth between 1915 and
Rebecca McNutt
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war, history, ww2, fiction, women-s
This is such an amazing book, bringing life to a segment of WWII history with brilliant characters and evocative vocabulary. I've seen it marketed mainly towards women but anybody can definitely enjoy this book, especially if you're a history buff.
Svetlana
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Books set during WW2 are my favourite type of books to read and I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Not once was there a time when I felt the book to be slow. I felt for these characters and what they went through and when I read the Author's Note and found that it was based on true events, I loved the book that much more!
Dem
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war
An interesting and entertaining read about two women—a female spy recruited to the real-life Alice Network in France during World War I and an unconventional American socialite searching for her cousin in 1947. The chapters alternate between Charlie’s story in 1947 and Eve’s story in 1915 and I really enjoyed Eve's story the most.

The Alice Network was new to me and I was really interested in reading a historical fiction book about this time in history and how women became spy's and put themselve
Britany
4.5
So many readers have loved this book, and I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. My first book of 2018, and I have to admit it was an extremely slow start. It didn't really take hold of my heart until about the final third of the book. Boy- once it grabbed me, I couldn't put it down.

Eve Gardiner and Charlie St Clair are the two perspectives introduced. Past and present storylines that eventually merge together (as you knew they would). Eve is a cranky hag of a lady, and Charlie bangs on her
Jennifer Blankfein
Follow Book Nation by Jen for all reviews and recommendations.

The Alice Network, a suspenseful dual timeline historical fiction novel, begins in the early 1900s…In 1915, stuttering Eve is identified as a good lier, speaks several languages and is asked to spy on the German soldiers in France during WWl. In 1947, Charlie, a young, pregnant girl is looking for her beloved cousin, Rose, who disappeared in France during WWll. Charlie follows a lead to located someone in London who can help and finds
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: The Alice Network
Series: Standalone
Author: Kate Quinn
Release date: June 6, 2017
Cliffhanger: No
HEA(view spoiler)

The Alice Network is one of the most brilliant and inspired books I have ever read. Yes, those are some tall words, but I say that with no hesitation or second thought. I feel like it's an impossible feat to sit here and adequately explain all of the reasons why you should NEED TO READ THIS.

Let's get this straight right from the start. This is not for the
Stephanie Anze
Charlotte "Charlie" St. Clair is an American college student that gets in a bind when she becomes pregnant out of wedlock. Belonging to a prestigious family, her parents arrange for Charlie to get rid of her "little problem" in Europe. Once there, however, Charlie separates from her mother and starts looking for her cousin Rose, who dissaperead during the war. Her search leads her to London, to the residence of one Evelyn "Eve" Gardiner. Though reluctant at first, Eve agrees to help Charlie trac ...more
Stephanie Thornton
I'm a fan of all of Kate Quinn's books, but I'm downright gobsmacked by the genius that is The Alice Network.

Set in both 1947 and 1915, Charlie St. Clair and Eve Gardiner's lives are a giant interconnected jigsaw puzzle, the pieces brilliantly linked together over the course of two world wars. My jaw dropped several times as new parallels were teased out between these women's lives. I ended up truly loving both women, but it was Eve, the stuttering secretary-turned-spy who really stole the show
Brenda
Enthralling, captivating and breathtaking, The Alice Network is all I love in a historical fiction novel – and more.

1915 and Eve Gardiner was desperate to be involved in the war effort, but because of a stutter, she was refused – filing was all she was good for apparently. Until Captain Cecil Aylmer Cameron came into her life. Eve was trained at Folkestone to be a spy – to join the Alice Network in France and deliver the many German secrets which would help to win the war. Alongside Lili; invis

• The Underground Railroad
  • Beartown (Beartown, #1)
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Fire by Night
  • Goodnight from London
  • The Care and Management of Lies
  • Lilli de Jong
  • Along the Infinite Sea (Schuyler Sisters #3)
  • Salt Houses
  • We Were the Lucky Ones
  • The Velvet Hours
  • When We Meet Again
  • The Girl from the Savoy
  • The Passing Bells (Passing Bells, #1)
  • The Baker's Secret
  • The Chilbury Ladies' Choir
Kate Quinn is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of historical fiction. A native of southern California, she attended Boston University where she earned a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Classical Voice. She has written four novels in the Empress of Rome Saga, and two books in the Italian Renaissance, before turning to the 20th century with “The Alice Network” and “The Huntress. ...more
“Hope was such a painful thing, far more painful than rage.” 32 likes
“What did it matter if something scared you, when it simply had to be done?” 29 likes