Start by marking “The Ship Beyond Time” as Want to Read:
The Ship Beyond Time

The Ship Beyond Time

(The Girl from Everywhere #2)

Some things should not be stolen.

After what seems like a lifetime of following her father across the globe and through the centuries, Nix has finally taken the helm of their time-traveling ship. Her future—and the horizon—is bright.

Until she learns she is destined to lose the one she loves. To end up like her father: alone, heartbroken.

Unable to face losing Kashmir—best fr
Published March 23rd 2017 by Hot Key Books (first published February 28th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Ship Beyond Time, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Vadim
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Vadim <spoiler>Yes, Blake did go to fight for the resistance and die - he's the eighth man. And yes, the fates did get changed - before Nix and her…more<spoiler>Yes, Blake did go to fight for the resistance and die - he's the eighth man. And yes, the fates did get changed - before Nix and her father arrived in Hawaii, there were only seven rebels who died, after they arrived and took Blake with them, now there's eight. So "history" does change depending on what the navigators do. Too bad Nix and her father are too obtuse to figure it out. The books portrayed the events as a closed loop, meaning that whatever Joss prophesied would happen actually happened. That didn't have to be this way, but Nix just did everything that needed to be done to make it so. In the first book she contemplates throwing Joss's things into the water, instead of leaving it for her to find in the Qin's tomb, but in the end she doesn't. That's her whole life story, she thinks about doing something different from prophecy, but then she does what the prophecy foretold anyway.
Joss couldn't actually tell the future, the only things she predicted are things she already knew happened in her own past. Nix told her herself that the one she loved was lost at sea. That's all Joss knew. Nix could have been more specific and told her it was her father, and not her lover, but she didn't, again being scared of changing anything. Joss herself says "Who can know what the future holds?", with her eyes twinkling.
Don't forget, Joss was a Navigator too. We don't know much about what time she might have traveled to and what she might have learned.
It's hard to know if Joss drank the Mnemosyne or why even Nix gave it to her. Nix knew there was a sacrifice involved and she didn't want to give up anything, she actually didn't want to know her future anyway. She contemplated pouring the water out but she couldn't bring herself to do it, presumably because of how valuable the water is. Why did she give it to Joss? I'm not sure. Interesting to note, when she gave the flask to Joss she said it was "knowledge". She didn't mention anything about a sacrifice or how to get the knowledge out of the flask. The water might have been required for a magic spell or something, why would you assume you had to drink it? Also Nix said to Joss she "can't keep it, but I think you might be able too". This implies to me that Nix is admitting that if she had the flask she wouldn't be able to resist drinking from it, but she knows that Joss will be able to resit and "keep it" safe for some future use. Based on this I believe Joss did not actually drink the Mnemosyne.</spoiler>(less)

☆High Lady of The Night Court☆
"Love isn’t much of a legacy, Mr. Firas.”
“I think there’s none better.”
“It doesn’t last.”
“It doesn’t have to."

This book was so much better than the previous one. I must say when I finished the first book I was a bit disappointed that such an amazing concept hadn’t lived up to its potential but after reading this book I just consider the first book and introduction to the characters and the concept. Both books are built around the ability to travel to any place, at any time given the right map
Heidi Heilig
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
2/21/2017 ONE WEEK LEFT. I MADE A BOOK TRAILER TO DEAL WITH MY NERVES. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdY41...

8/14/16

Man looking back i feel like such a jerk, like what author talks such smack about their own book?

Me, obviously. Me, the jerk.

11/17/15

Currently in first round edits and irrationally angry at this book, good thing i'm not gonna pick a star rating because OH BOY.
Nastassja
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of The Girl from Everywhere

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

“Our lives are before us, not behind.”
“That depends on where you’re standing on the timeline.”

A couple of months ago when I first held The Girl from Everywhere in my hands, I was expecting a really fun read with adventures, time-travel, hot Persian thieves and an unforgettable image of the 19th century Hawaii. In the end I definitely got my adventures with the charming thief and authentic image of Hawaii, the time-travel part though, wasn't fully explained, and some seri

Stacee
Oh man. I don't even know where to start with this one.

I loved the set up for this book. I really enjoyed the first book, but I was eager to see how the relationship between Nix and Kashmir progressed. And for the most part, it didn't disappoint. There are definitely some things that transpired between them that made me angry, but I was mostly happy.

Plot wise, I was captivated. I loved the story and how things happened. This time around, I didn't let myself get bogged down with the mythology a
Native25
May 09, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I sent this letter to the author and am posting it here because I'm so concerned for other Native people who might pick up this book. This isn't meant to publicly shame the author at all. She seems like a generally good person who has done a lot of great social justice work, and I'm not suggesting that anyone attack her personally. But critiquing the book is another matter. Because the fact is, this book hurt me as a Native person. A lot. And I would hate for it to happen to others. Mild book sp ...more
Suzanne
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*

This was a satisfying conclusion but I was a bit bored in the middle if I am being honest. The beginning and end were really interesting but the middle I just honestly found a bit boring. The conclusion was very satisfying though and was not wrapped pretty like a lot of book series, which I appreciate. They characters are still fun and have amusing dialogue. My only complaint about the characters is that Nix could be annoyingly stubborn, but aren’t we all.

My quick and simple overall: good,
Allison
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

Not sure if I loved this /quite/ as much as the first one, but I can't put my finger on why.....so maybe I did? Idk. This book DOES focus on one of my favorite mythical cities, Ys. I'm a huge Breton history and folklore nerd so this was a personal bonus. THERE IS MORE KASH. Lots more. Way more. It's great. And there's lots of canoodling. *eyebrow waggle*

Waiting on the maps in the finished copy.......
Aila
Awesome sequel! It was action-packed and had much more plot development, much more myths and legends, and much more swoony times with Kash. :D

I only wish the we got a bit more character development with some of the secondary characters (and a smidge disappointed by the ending but probably because I wanted more).

Review to come on Happy Indulgence
Lauren Stoolfire
What a brilliant follow up and conclusion to this absolutely enthralling time travel adventure. I wish I could say that I'll be seeing more of Nix and Kashmir (easily a couple of my favorite YA characters), but I appreciated the ending which is both hopeful, bittersweet, and left just the right amount of open. If you haven't tried this series yet, what are you waiting for? To say I'm looking forward to Heidi Heilig's future projects is an understatement!

Louisa
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a great book! And a great second half of the duology, so enjoyable, and how things wrapped up! Great book!
Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy via Edelweiss for review purposes.

Last year I read The Girl from Everywhere, Heidi Heilig's debut SFF time-travelling novel, and I LOVED it. You can read my review here, but I basically praised the characters, the character dynamics and interactions, the setting, and the SFF elements. I loved EVERYTHING. I especially loved Kash. So I was fairly sure that I was going to love this one too, and no surprise, I did. I loved it even more than The Girl From Everywhere
Casey
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
What a book, I loved this even more then the first.

Nix is on the way to NY, her Dad is coming down from a drug addiction and not in the best shape, and she's received a prediction that her Love: Kash is going to die at sea.

While going out on shore leave in NY Nix and Kash are stopped by a girl who can't remember much but knows she had a letter and a map to deliver to Nix.

Inside Nix finds a map to a Utopia, a mythical island, and also a promise of help. Can Nix change the future? Defeat fate?
Riley Redgate
i laughed, i cried, i felt the hollowness of the existential shriek somewhere behind my sternum, i felt the impact of acceptance and love in a world ostensibly comprised of chaos, i cried again
ak
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh fucking goddamn holy shit this was better than the first? It moved faster, I cared more, what a fucking ride
Emily
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I aspire to the level of thoughtfulness it would take to write like Heidi.
Nouf *LostinFantasy*
My rating: 3.5/5 stars (rounded up to 4).

"It's never up to you what happens. Your only choice is what to do when it does. What kind of person will you decide to be?”

Sequels are always best when they take what worked in the first book and expand on it - add depth to it. This book accomplished that in some ways, and in other ways it fell a bit short.

I'll start with what I liked:

--In the The Girl from Everywhere, we know the characters can travel through history and more interestingly - thro
Cori Reed
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, and as a duology it's definitely one of my favourites. Heidi Heilig's writing is beautiful, but also fast paced and exciting. Also, time traveling sailors/pirates with smooching.
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
I had been on pins and needles for this book after inhaling (and loving) the previous novel, The Girl From Everywhere (which also made my top ten of 2016). I'm really wrestling over whether this book was as good as the first one -- or better -- and it's given me a serious book hangover.

I'm not sure I can really recap the story without getting into the weeds, and I really don't want to give away anything crucial. Our heroine, Nix, and her father, Slate, have the ability to travel through time,
Katrina
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A middle grades storyline with YA/adult themes. Thumbs down. I could have done without reading this sequel. The take on time travel is unique but the details are far fetched (even for a fantasy world). I would have given another star but seriously what's with the detailed sex scene? This would have gotten a resounding recommendation from me for tweens, but not now. Know your lane and don't try to be something you're not.
Puput

Just like The Girl from Everywhere I received a signed copy of this book (the ARC) from the kind and lovely Heidi Helig herself. Thank you so much Heidi! <3

I had a high expectation for The Girl from Everywhere and was disappointed because the actual book didn't live up to it. That's why I lowered my expectation going into this book and it was a good thing that I ended up enjoying it more. Dare I say, The Ship Beyond Time was a lot better than its prequel but still not as good as I'd
Karen
See my full review and much more on my blog KissinBlueKaren
Check out my review for THE GIRL FROM EVERYWHERE

The main plot for Nix is Kashmir’s fate. Nix is trying to save Kashmir from drowning by going to a mythical city that is said to have been flooded. That really made no sense, but Nix is desperate to not loose Kash. At the end of the first book it seemed like Nix was caught in a love triangle, but in this story Blake is cast aside for Kash.

Kash is also from a mythical city so saving Dahu
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
I don't know if it's the right word but I just love how passionate and deep Heilig makes the narrating character. I'm still obsessed with the romance in all its cheesy glory
Kayla
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This duology was definitely not something I would normally pick up so I'm glad I tried it even though it really wasn't for me.
Caitlyn
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 A few of Heilig's similes are gorgeous—and I'm overcome with envy: throat wounds puckered like red lips, sea spray like diamonds, stars like pearls. A per usual, her character insight is in-depth, yet TSBT's pacing is slow and its ending uncertain.

Yet Kash continues to be his charming, poem-loving, thieving self—and Heilig's diverse character cast is on point: Persian, Chinese, Indian, gay and straight. An exquisite time travel fantasy on the notions of fate and free will.
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
"Regnabo, regno, regnavi, sum sin regno.
I shall reign, I reign, I have reigned, I have no kingdom."

I LOVED The Girl from Everywhere, so I was really excited to read The Ship Beyond Time. I wanted more of the characters I fell in love with and their time-traveling, map-jumping world. I’m happy to say we get even more action and suspense in this follow up with a lot of surprising depth too - that really had my emotions going up and down like crazy.

Things I Liked :
Like in the first book, The Sh
rachel ☾

The Ship Beyond Time was not a strong conclusion. I nearly DNFed this book multiple times. In fact, it took a steadfast focus to stop myself from skimming through to the end. I was not engaged in the story in the slightest. The plot was messy. It felt completely rushed and disjointed. Maybe I am just not intelligent enough to puzzle it together from the half-strung theories Nix seemed to understand in an instant? Whatever my excuse may be, I still found it incredibly difficult to wrap m
Silvana [The Book Voyagers]
Heidi Heilig is simply the best. She wrote a sequel that was greater than the first book. I thought it couldn't be possible, because sometimes you get disappointed when you read the sequels of that great first book. But Heidi created something even more magical and lovely.

The Ship Beyond Time is more time travels on a ship called The Temptation. With a rather larger crew on it. There is more myths and stories and you'll recognize maybe some things. There is definitely more Kashmir ~ gosh, Heidi.
Wendy Bunnell
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this second book even more than I liked The Girl From Everywhere, and I thought several times about posting a comment while reading, indicating how caught up I was in the book. But then I didn't want to pause long enough to do that. And then I was a little confused at the ending and had to back it up to figure out what had happened (audiobooks, go figure). Anyway, it was engrossing. It held my attention. I listened to the entire audiobook from the library in less than 2 days while I actu ...more
Kathy MacMillan
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved THE GIRL FROM EVERYWHERE and I found myself utterly swept away by THE SHIP BEYOND TIME. It actually took me a couple of weeks to read it, not because it was hard to get through, but because this is the kind of book I wanted to just lose myself in, so I refused to even pick it up unless I had time to do so. This is a book to savor, from the lush, intricate worldbuilding, to the complex characters and their shifting relationships, to the rich premise that Heilig constantly takes in bold, u ...more
Diane
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what it is but I'm finding these books hard to put down!

• Waters of Salt and Sin (Uncommon World, #1)
  • Krait's Redemption (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #5)
  • Sparks of Light (Into the Dim, #2)
  • Firestarter (Timekeeper #3)
  • Heroes Return (Hero, #5)
  • Between Us
  • Future Threat (Future Shock, #2)
  • Shapeshifter
  • Shadowhouse Fall (Shadowshaper, #2)
  • Basara, Vol. 13
  • The Edge of the Abyss (The Abyss Surrounds Us, #2)
  • The Kept Girl
  • Find Me Where the Water Ends (So Close to You, #3)
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone, #2)
  • When a Man Marries
  • The Door in the Moon (Chronoptika #3)
  • Smells Like Pirates
  • The Speaker (Sea of Ink and Gold #2)
Heidi grew up in Hawaii where she rode horses and raised peacocks, and then she moved to New York City and grew up even more, as one tends to do. Her favorite thing, outside of writing, is travel, and she has haggled for rugs in Morocco, hiked the trails of the Ko'olau Valley, and huddled in a tent in Africa while lions roared in the dark.

She holds an MFA from New York University in Musical Theat

The Girl from Everywhere (2 books)
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl from Everywhere, #1)
“Nothing lasts forever. Not even sorrow.” 9 likes
“Love isn’t much of a legacy, Mr. Firas.”
“I think there’s none better.”
“It doesn’t last.”