Start by marking “Flipped” as Want to Read:

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  92,123 ratings  ·  7,116 reviews
Flipped is a romance told in two voices. The first time Juli Baker saw Bryce Loski, she flipped. The first time Bryce saw Juli, he ran. That’s pretty much the pattern for these two neighbors until the eighth grade, when, just as Juli is realizing Bryce isn’t as wonderful as she thought, Bryce is starting to see that Juli is pretty amazing. How these two teens manage to see beyond ...more
Published May 13th 2003 by Knopf (first published October 9th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Flipped, please sign up.

·  92,123 ratings  ·  7,116 reviews

Start your review of Flipped
Jo
"Some of us get dipped in flat, some in satin, some in gloss…” He turned to me. “But every once you will find someone who’s iridescent, and when you do, nothing will ever compare.”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
*Eyes tree outside window*
I wonder…

High Points.
Juli. The entire Baker clan! Why don’t all YA characters have fun families?! Authors, you’re missing a trick! Bryce (eventually). Chest. Front yards. Eggs. Chickens. Basket boys. Pie. Girls with iron backbones. Tree climbing. Newspaper articles. “There’s a bearticles./>High
Lola

A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E

3.5 stars. This is the story of two beautiful kids who learn the true meaning of loving someone through an inventive panoply of mishaps and events. Now this is not your usual boy-meets-girl story and I cannot wait for you to discover why! … Let’s just say that the farm thingy is a vital element!

I had a lot of fun reading this book. It is short (true) and a middle grade story (again, true) but it can be enjoyed by readers of all ages! A timeless topic is being tackled and this novel’s u/>3.5
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus)
P.s: I have Both,Read and watched flipped...But in my opinion the movie was utterly charming ! I'm glad I watched it first so it was much easier to visualize the sences from the book :)

THIS MOVIE WAS AHMAZING !!!!.......

I laughed...

I cried...

AND I fell in love with the idea of ♥ all over again....:)

(This movie is a definte must see for everyone ! trust me ! its just WOW ♥Even th
Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
Reread: June 1st 2018

Rereading Flipped for the third time. I will never get tired reading this book. After all these years, I'm still in love with Bryce and Juli's story. It was unforgettable and their romance still gave me butterflies. A love so pure and innocent. It never gets old and I love it. 😍❤ My forever favorite ❤❤❤❤🐥 I have to say this is one of the most underappreciated YA books. It deserves the hype, one hundred and ten percent ☑💁🏻

-------------------------------------
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Edit : I just watched the movie and it was SO FREAKING CUTE! ❤

Please don't laugh. Or do. I DON'T CARE. I'm just gonna smile like a big moron all day.

Don't you ever want to say "this is JUST me!" and then realize that maybe, just maybe, you'd better keep your mouth shut because it might change how people see you? Yeah? Because that's what I feel right now.

Okay let's go. Ready?

"She didn't just barge intoclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Aishu Rehman
I absolutely love this book. It's soo cute because it talks about a seven year old boy and a seven year old girl that just moves into his neighborhood. She likes him alot but he just wants to get as far away from her as possible. Later on, he starts to realize that she might not be that bad and that he might actually like her BUT, she starts to realize that he might not be the one she was looking for after all! It's all FLIPPED!

I LOVEEE THIS BOOK. I DEFINETLY RECOMMEND IT FOR EVERYON
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
edit : rounded down to 4 Stars

REVIEW TO COME SOON.

I don't know where to start to talk about this book but first of all, I want to tell you that this book changed my life. I will never be the same anymore and I'm not being exaggerated. I'm going to tell you this now :

few months ago, I had a crush that I liked so much and he's older than me. he's 19 years old and I'm 18 years old and we s/>/>REVIEW
C.G. Drews
That was so stinkin' adorable. I was a bit nervous at first and I did have some quibbles, but, PEOPLES! It was so cute! I love the hate/love relationship and the writing was super beautiful and had some really poignant lines and just: YES. THIS IS GOOD STUFF.

It's dual narrated by Bryce and Juli. And they're voices are so addictive to read! Also very different! I could tell from their tones whose chapter it was, but I loved Juli 100000% and Bryce, like, um, 2%. He was awful okay?!? He was really just...mean./>It's
Aaron Vincent
Jul 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary-ya
Originally posted here.

I’ve been reading a lot of dark and violent books lately. I recently joined two challenges, both of which requires me to read those kind of books. Not that I’m complaining or anything because it’s those kind of books I enjoy reading the most. I just thought I need to read something different, something light and positive, something –as my friend Tina prefers to call them–fluffy. As it turns out, Wendelin Van Draanen’s Flipped was the right book for the break from gritty novels thathem–.
Pearl Angeli
description

"The first time I saw him, I flipped."

Wow, what a fun read! Everything in this book is loaded with all kinds of cuteness. I like the setting, the premise, and the whole idea of this book. I was kind of, in some way, in love with it.

Flipped is not just purely fluff, it's deeper than what I've expected because it conveys great messages that serve as an inspiration to the readers.

"One's character is set at an early age. The choices you make now will affect you for the rest of your life."

I like the characters in thi
Amelia Mapstone
Sep 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who love humor and romance
Recommended to Amelia by: my teacher
the way it brings Bryce and Julianna together is just spectacular! I recomend this to all who love good childish humor! It is soooo "LOL"!
Liz* Fashionably Late

Can't do words *___*

Trees, eggs and kisses :3 What else do you need in life?

Love was the first thing July felt when she met Bryce, her new neighbor. Panic was the first thing Bryce felt. Oblivious to this fact, July intimidated Bryce with her forthrightness and curiosity while Bryce tried to hide from her as much as possible.

The first thing I loved about Flipped was the warm feeling of simpler times and their innocence and ingenuity. It remi
Fuzaila
First things first – that cover is so good! And now that I’ve read the book, I’m even more in love with it, knowing its significance. I mean, look at it? It’s just a chick, there’s nothing else. But I love its simplicity and the idea in general (I know you're gonna judge my poor choices or something, but I love what I love, get over it ;)

Flipped is not a romance, despite what the book might want you to believe. It’s more of a coming-of-age story about two different kids, with problems and personality of t/>Flipped
Scarlet Cameo
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rc-16
English review at the bottom

"La primera vez que Juli Baker vio a Bryce Loski, flipó. La primera vez que Bryce vio a Juli, corrió"

Este libro es absolutamente bello. Leerlo es estar todo el tiempo así:

o así

y en ocasiones, así

Pero principalmente es amar y, a veces, odiar, a los personajes. La historia sibottom
Amy | Foxy Blogs
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amy | Foxy Blogs by: Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus)
Flipped reminds me of a younger/innocent version of Neighbor From Hell series. Juli and Bryce are neighbors who attend the same school. Their rocky relationship portrays the struggles between boys and girls in elementary and middle school.

Both learn to look beyond the surface and search for something deeper in the human nature. In doing so they discover themselves as they continue mature.
"One's character is set at an early age, son. The choices you make now will affect you for the rest of your life." -Chet

This book was made into a momature.
Martin C.
Mar 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I must say, Flipped is a great book and also has a great teaching, as well as being huge amount of fun to read because of the author's fabulous techniques. One of the techniques the author uses in the book is showing different perspectives throughout the book, to be speciefic: the way he describes the point of view from Juli's and Bryce's perspective, also a very fun technique since you're always wondering what the other character in the story thinks too. Another entertaining technique is the q ...more
Michelle
Nov 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Michelle by: Ms. Castagna
Shelves: 9th-grade
By Wendelin Van Draanen
212 pp. United States of America
Random House, Inc. $14.99
ISBN 0-375-81174-5

A seven year old girl, Juli, falls for a boy in her class, Bryce—well, maybe more for his amazingly beautiful blue eyes. Perhaps this might not sound as interesting as your favorite romance series, Twilight, or illustrate true love like Romeo and Juliet. But, Wendelin Van Draanen’s new romance novel, Flipped, will definitely flip you off your feet. She has her own unique way of demonstratin
Rebecca McNutt
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This book had me interested at first, but deep down it's just a lot of melodramatic teen romance. This is not a bad thing especially if you're a fan of the romance genre, but I'm really not much of a romance reader.
Sophia
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I first read this book when I was in the sixth grade. I fell in love.

I forgot about it for a while. Then I saw it sitting in my high school library and decided to reread it.

I fell in love all over again.

This book is so magically adorable, emotional, and just plain fantastic.

Julianna Baker is one of the best characters I've read about. And the development in both main characters is just extraordinary.

I never wanted this book to end. Ever
Pooja
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 100-pages
It's one of my favorite movie and I liked everything about, everything.
Sycamore Tree to Roosters, Champ to Boa Constrictor, and on the top of that Bryce and Juli.
Aqsa (On Hiatus)
15 June 2019
Just watched Flipped (2010). Ah, I loved it. It was so cute and sweet and innocent and just plain lovely! I can't believe I missed this! I wanna watch it again already. You guys gotta watch it. Plus I think it's based on a book!
Mariℓina
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet story! Brilliant really and so refreshing! I needed a good break from all the greedy and dark reads and this one was exactly what my poor soul wanted: A great coming-of-age story.

Flipped is a book filled with laughter, awkwardly cute situations and an absolutely adorable first love between Juli, the clever and determined beautiful girl and Bryce, the arrogant jerk with the sweet heart and the most amazing blue eyes.

Juli used to follow Bryce around since the first time they met. He was her hero, her dazzling blue eyed boy nothing he would say could stop her. Bryce on the other hand, couldn't stand her at all and he was always too eager to get away from her. But things were bound to change

Juli gets a better look at Bryce and decides he is not worthy of all her efforts. Bryce finally takes a chance to see the real Juli Baker and falls automatical in love with her. Now their relationship seems to have change for good.

In actuallity though they both spent an awfully lot of time basking on the mirage they made inside their minds for one another while they should have tried to know each other better in real life. But there is always a chance for true feelings to come out. And when that happens, the result is not just a glossy young couple, but on the contrary a very well adjusted sweet and unique couple with deep roots and a meaningful beginning.

THOUGHTS ABOUT THE BOOK

- Dual POV.
- There is also an excellent movie based on this book.
- Sycamore trees never seemed so inviting before.
- I loved the perspective alternation.
- The Baker clan is an absolute delight.
- That ending was an interesting way to close the book. I liked it a lot.
- So many beautiful ideas and eathical meanings a reader can take with him after finishing the book.
lucie
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“I'll ride my bike all the stinkin' way to school for the rest of eternity if it means being with her."

THIS IS THE CUTEST BOOK IN THIS UNIVERSE AND I LOVED IT.
Melanie
OMG. SO. CUTE. AND THAT MOVIE ADAPTATION WAS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. I LOVE.
Violet
May 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Knowing two sides of the story is always the best.
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
I LOVE THIS BOOK. I seriously looooooovvvvvvveeeee this book. I laughed. I cried. I laughed and cried some more. I'm going to buy a bunch of copies of this book and give them to all of my friends.
Molly
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've read the first chapter and I FLIPPED. It seems I needed a dose of cute and this book was the cutest thing in months.

Rating 4.5 (rounding on 5 without regrets)

description

Grandpa to Bryce...
“Some of us get dipped in flat, some in satin, some in gloss….” He turned to me. “But every once in a while you find someone who's iridescent, and when you do, nothing will ever compare.”

Juli Baker has had a crush on Bryce Loski from the mmonths.
Rating
Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ]

I just fell in love with it and its simplicity and innocence.

This book struck me with its adorably cute, light-hearted romance and wholesomely philosophy, I mean sort of philosophy.
Well just seeing the cover and reading the back details of the book, you'll immediately assume that its just your typical boy-meet-girl puppy love story- cute and severely simple.
Ooh, don't that things fool you.
Yes, it is cute. Yes, its quiet amusing that they understand things at early ages, in short, they are darn smart [esp, Juli] and yes it is a good story with great voi
Tina
Oct 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Original post at One More Page

I’ve had this book for ages, but I haven’t reviewed it ever (then again, I hardly review books back when I bought this). This, along with Stargirl is one of my favorite young adult books. I bought this on a whim, and ever since I first read it, I’ve loved the story. Julianna, especially, is a very memorable character that I wish a lot of times that I carry the same wonder and sparkle she has. :)

When Bryce Loski moves into the neighborhood, Julianna Baker wa
Ram Content Readi...: Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen 2 4 Jul 31, 2019 06:39AM
Your ideal ending? 1 4 Jun 12, 2019 11:57AM
Play Book Tag: Flipped – Wendelin Van Draanen - 4 stars 3 15 Mar 14, 2019 02:29AM

• Stargirl (Stargirl, #1)
  • Love, Stargirl (Stargirl, #2)
  • Rules
  • Wonder
  • Shug
  • Out of My Mind
  • The Outsiders
  • Because of Winn-Dixie
  • Walk Two Moons
  • Schooled
  • The Giver (The Giver, #1)
  • Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life
  • Holes (Holes, #1)
  • To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1)
  • Feathers and Fools
  • Tuck Everlasting
  • The City of Ember
  • Because of Mr. Terupt (Mr. Terupt, #1)
Wendelin Van Draanen has written more than thirty novels for young readers and teens. She is the author of the 18-book Edgar-winning Sammy Keyes series, and wrote Flipped which was named a Top 100 Children’s Novel for the 21st Century by SLJ, and became a Warner Brothers feature film with Rob Reiner directing. Her novel The Running Dream was awarded ALA’s Schneider Family Award for its portrayal o ...more
11 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Some of us get dipped in flat, some in satin, some in gloss...." He turned to me. "But every once in a while, you find someone who's iridescent, and when you do, nothing will ever compare.” 1311 likes
“My heart stopped. It just stopped beating. And for the first time in my life, I had that feeling. You know, like the world is moving all around you, all beneath you, all inside you, and you're floating. Floating in midair. And the only thing keeping you from drifting away is the other person's eyes. They're connected to yours by some invisible physical force, and they hold you fast while the rest of the world swirls and twirls and falls completely away.” 641 likes